Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Troutful
May 31, 2011

Nessus posted:

What next, syn-foods? Fair enough that we should cut down on red meat and perhaps all meat, but I don't think the make or break thing for the world ecology is going to be that we decided to eat chicken (or similar fowls) instead of insects.

Another factor with pigs and chickens is that you can feed them with leftovers, at least in theory. Chickens can peck at the ground, hogs can eat vegetable waste. I doubt you want to turn crickets loose in the fields.

Crickets thrive on leftovers (up to and including literal garbage) and can easily be raised indoors, in a shack, etc. Industrialized cricket farming is already a thing, the bugs just wind up in pet food instead of people food. I used to raise crickets for research projects in college and I would have eaten them, too, if I hadn't been worried about parasites.

I could go on and on about the benefits of crickets-as-food (they're ridiculously nutritious! many vegetarians will eat them! they're probably kosher!), but a whole lot of consumers were raised on the "never touch a bug" principle and that's obviously going to hugely influence their dietary decisions. Crickets do seem to be gaining some traction among the health food crowd, though, for whatever that's worth. I'm pretty optimistic about the future of entomophagy in general. It's really no more disgusting than eating shrimp or other shellfish -- people just need to be persuaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread