Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The mass usage of phosphate fertilizers came up during fishmech's age o' corn derail that had me wondering, if most of this stuff ends up in the oceans can't we just extract it similarly to how people have been going on about getting uranium out of seawater?

The ocean is pretty big. Getting useful quantities of phosphate without spending ludicrous amounts of energy and/or money is probably going to be, uh, challenging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

you need mindbogglingly vast quantities of phosphate to sustain the modern agricultural system

you do not need very much uranium (in relative terms) to fuel a nuclear plant

Since much of the agricultural runoff enters the sea via rivers, it would be easier to reclaim it from said rivers.

Imagine scouring all water coming out of every major river system going through some sort of agricultural area for phosphate.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Forgall posted:

What about hydroponics? Are there serious downsides to them? Are they good for growing stuff other than lettuce, like legumes so we could get some protein out of them? Using 1% of water and being able to easily filter out all useful stuff from runoff and reuse it seems pretty great. And they are basically independent of climate.

:effort: and possibly energy inputs, mostly.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

whitey delenda est posted:

This, hydroponic farming takes the problems that I detailed in the OP and actually makes them worse (for the most part). You've got dirt out there, why not utilize it? At the very least, soil is slowly creating more of itself and reclaiming small portions of resources from the environment via deposition effects. The energy problem could be addressed via non-fossil-fuel means, but for the foreseeable future scaling it up to staple farming is physically very challenging.

You joke, but this is going to be an integral part of how we address near-term issues. The overarching idea of "agroecology" is to once again find a niche for the human organism in a broader ecological context. There's more farms doing this these days, I think an important example of which is Veta La Palma in Spain. You essentially foster an ecosystem that you can disturb minimally to harvest your food crop (in their case it's fish) and it doesn't even blink because the biodiversity and density of resources remain balanced. Theoretically you can also incorporate other foods into the ecosystem and harvest some of them as well.

Of course, the annual fish harvest is only about 1500 tons off of 8000 acres of aquaculture. For reference a similar area of corn field would probably give you something to the tune of 37,000 tons of grain.

...and thus starts the debate slapfight between land sparers and land sharers :haw:

Land sharing advocates for (usually less-intensive) agricultural areas with somewhat intact ecosystems as the best way to feed us without destroying too much biodiversity.
Land sparing is about setting aside as much land as possible as protected area and farming the rest for maximal yields. If you embrace the mighty atom :science:, things like vertical farming would be the logical end point for land sparing.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Peven Stan posted:

A lot of old school Han people like my mom hate the taste of ruminants. You can work up a slick marketing campaign but that doesn't change long seated cultural attitudes towards beef and lamb as ethnic meats for the Halal market.

A billion people eating more pork is less bad than a billion people eating more beef, so that's alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Let me know. Everything. Tell me everything. I am serious. Don't tease your infoposts man, I'm getting forums-learning blueballs here.

:agreed: This sounds very interesting.

• Locked thread