Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Troutful posted:

I could go on and on about the benefits of crickets-as-food (they're ridiculously nutritious! many vegetarians will eat them! they're probably kosher!), but a whole lot of consumers were raised on the "never touch a bug" principle and that's obviously going to hugely influence their dietary decisions. Crickets do seem to be gaining some traction among the health food crowd, though, for whatever that's worth. I'm pretty optimistic about the future of entomophagy in general. It's really no more disgusting than eating shrimp or other shellfish -- people just need to be persuaded.

I think this will be less of a problem than people think. I mean, 30 years ago most Europeans would have refused to eat raw fish wrapped in algae (but would cheerfully have eaten pork brain). Nowadays I don't know anybody who is disgusted by the idea of Sushi, but many people who wouldn't eat any brain-based thing.

So, just introduce the insects as "people from this Indigenous nation eat them, and they all live to be 100 years old". Start them off as high-price and fancy, and lots of people will give it a try. Insect-eating is already a status symbol among the world travel crowd, so it shouldn't be that hard to scale up.

However, as a source of day-to-day nutrition, I think the present drive towards plant-based diets is more promising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

This is pretty loving patronizing to be quite honest. No one is going to solve world scale food issues by playing the Whole Foods model of "only the rich are allowed 'good' food, and treating people like complete idiots isn't to effective either.

The only thing that's worse you could do is scream "fatty fatty fatty" like others on this thread.

I wasn't talking about world scale food issues, I was talking about how to get the global rich to start eating insects (because that's what this thread wants them to do).

I don't think insects, vertical farming or any other innovation internet people like to fantasize about is going to solve global food issues. The only way to solve that is by an intelligent agricultural policy that prioritizes food production over cash crops, and by getting people in general to treat meat as an expensive sunday food again.

• Locked thread