Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Epitope posted:

We made "whole grain" mean healthier, now we need to do the same for "whole animal" :D

People would interpret that as eating the entire animal at once, probably deep-fried, and think that it would let them safely lose weight if it is the only thing they eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Forgall posted:

Guess we are just going to farm the old way till there's a huge food crisis and billions starve. Then we might think about switching.

If it's so energy intensive, it may straight up be a worse option than conventional farming. This partially depends on what the energy costs come from.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Shbobdb posted:

There is already a movement to rediscover flavor in food, not to hide spoilage but to celebrate it. I think it would be easy to aggressively market towards that and include some very sustainable foodstuffs. Couple it initially with yuppie eroticism and you've got a powerful campaign.

Botulinum is organic! It's nature reclaiming factory-processed food! Make it a part of yourself!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I know the food labeling regs. Most expiration dates have absolutely nothing to do with them, they're voluntary aside from some patchy state laws- FDA product purity regulation is a different regime. As such, they have nothing to do with "odd little rules", "food safety standards", or America's "incredible, irrational fear of germs". That said, they're the only such metric present for most such products, and they are, for meat, dairy, and most processed fruit and vegetable products produced in the US, usually based on a lab-tested predicted average date of spoilage, plus CI, plus a safety margin. Consuming food past the listed date places you within that normal distribution. You will not be able to taste or smell the contaminant before it is present in sufficient volumes to effect you.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Oh yes, one big exception to a lack of federal regs on expiration dates- infant formula.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

BrandorKP posted:

If any one wants to know anything about the nuts and bolts of the logistics of grain being shipped internationally in bulk on vessels, let me know.

Let me know. Everything. Tell me everything. I am serious. Don't tease your infoposts man, I'm getting forums-learning blueballs here.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Bitcoin agroconomics.

Gold doesn't tarnish- it's the only staple crop.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 18, 2015

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Maybe food already is attention based. You ever seen a pot boil?

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Xipe Totec posted:

so there are no systemic problems with the resilient global food system, we just need to sprinkle a some reforms and the power of good intentions will ensure billions get sovereign access to food without destroying the planet?

How would you like me to cite your post when I teach my students about false dichotomy on Friday?

• Locked thread