Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Effectronica posted:

How do you, and I apologize if this is buried somewhere in the rest of the thread, plan to deal with the issue of lack of genetic diversity and the vulnerability this brings to pathogens?

Science. We are on a cusp of a revolution in genetics- it doesn't get much press but the achievements made in the last decade in the field have been astounding. At any rate I'm not convinced at all this is actually a problem, or that it would be difficult to fix if it did become one.

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

How do you figure? How is modern agriculture any more likely to only grow one thing and suffer a catastrophic collapse as opposed to primitive farming? Blights were a thing in the past, after all. Entire nations starved from them. That hasn't happened to the developed world in a long time, even though you claim that modern practices should make it more likely to happen.

It's just the doomspeak that is also very popular in the climate thread- a lot of really scary scenarios painted without any real evidence for how harmful they would be even if they occurred. Reminds me of the peak oil threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread