Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Americans may eat way too much meat, but that isn't necessarily the same thing as protein. If anything the key would be to produce that protein is a more sustainable and less intensive way.

As an aside though, food prices likes like oil prices aren't necessarily determined by strict interpretations of supply and demand, and if anything the economics of food is an whole other discussion. (This thread seems more on the mechanics of food protection).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

whitey delenda est posted:

If you want to talk about the economics of food here please do. I don't know nearly enough about that particular subject which is why I mainly alluded to neoliberal monoculture encouragement etc. rather than tried to do a full breakdown.

There is the micro level and the macro level, and then where they intersect. You have a situation like Venezuela where it is complicated really separating the two. Furthermore, you have can have a discussion over philosophies of protection (mono-culture for example) versus financial instruments.

My take is that while on a global supply is important, it isn't in this case a particular determinate of price and therefore the social effects of price. You can manage agriculture as effectively and make it efficiently as possible, but it is ultimately not going to be the key determinate of that factor in an international sense. When you get down to the level of individual countries, obviously it becomes more complex but in the sense of the efficiency of their individual economies.

The US consumes a lot of resources but does in fact produce a large amount of food, but ultimately this produces a calorie excess.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Job Truniht posted:

I think it's time for the oh god we're all gonna die picture:

Not going to last another 30 years.

Climate change is going to happen no doubt. My personal expectation, least in the US, I do think we have here agricultural engineering to keep yields fairly high even if drought becomes a constant issue. It is just we are going to have to start looking at what Israel does for example. Granted, there is going to have to be a higher cost of production as well.

That said, food prices and energy especially oil prices to correlated to some extent. Rice and Soybeans are down for the year (where do you think they were going...), and wheat and sugar are down modestly.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Xoidanor posted:

Vertical farming will pretty much become a must if damper isn't put on the global population growth eventually.

It is a Malthusian non-starter, if anything the problem is going to be a aged population being supported by a smaller and smaller young population not a soylent green scenario. Population growth rates in the first world and parts of the developing world are declining or have declined to the point of being a problem in themselves.

Anyway, the issue with feeding a global population isn't anywhere based on supply, there is plenty of supply and the potential for greater supply, it is really as another poster pointed out it is a income and distribution issue. In addition, agriculture is a business and food is a commodity, there are plenty of actors that don't want to see a greatly increased supply of food.

Also, if anything if the prices of food theoretically dropped precipitously from a glut in the first world, it wouldn't necessarily be a good thing for much of the third world either.

• Locked thread