Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Epitope posted:

"Sustainable" means stationary phase. We know what's next

The green revolution "credited with saving over a billion people from starvation" is just us living on borrowed time. If we don't send a DNA-based-life payload to another planet soon, we probably never will. This is our shot at producing a fruiting body. We can do it, I believe in us.
While death is certain, does that exponential model graph represent 20th century agriculture or all agriculture ever

Because in the former case we "only" have a few hundred years, in the latter case we have like thousands!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

What next, syn-foods? Fair enough that we should cut down on red meat and perhaps all meat, but I don't think the make or break thing for the world ecology is going to be that we decided to eat chicken (or similar fowls) instead of insects.

Another factor with pigs and chickens is that you can feed them with leftovers, at least in theory. Chickens can peck at the ground, hogs can eat vegetable waste. I doubt you want to turn crickets loose in the fields.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Ah, ok if we're going by what percentage is edible what I'm reading up to 80% of the cricket is edible as opposed to 55% for chicken and pigs and 40% for cattle, which don't seem like minor differences to me. I mean, again I don't think this necessarily means that insect eating is the way to go, but these seem like some pretty significant gains if you shifted to crickets from any of the traditional animals, the type that can't just be brushed off with "they're icky".
The big hurdle is that you would have to convince people to eat crickets. While you could probably convince people to eat less meat, I don't think - for instance - the rising affluent people in China or India would particularly want to get told, you know, 'hey, just so you know, you are going to be eating crickets because they're about 40% more optimal in terms of feed converted into edible protein.' They would probably say, "gently caress you, we're going to have chicken, at the very least."

I could probably be brought round to eating crickets as an occasional thing if they were well prepared. I would probably, if given the choice between going full vegetarian and having the only animal protein be crickets, just go full vegetarian.

• Locked thread