Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Like we always hear about "TAKE SHORTER SHOWERS OR YOU'LL DESTROY THE WORLD!!!!" when if literally every person in America took an hour long shower every day it wouldn't come anywhere near what agribusiness uses.

Yep. I think this is a trap that environmentalists fall into pretty badly. "We can't immediately alter policy in a big way because we have to do the hard work of actually convincing the people that this is the correct course of action and that takes time, especially when fighting moneyed interests? Sigh, well, I guess we can tell people to make meaningless self-sacrifices right now to feel better about themselves."

...which is totally self-defeating, because then the people you're trying to convince see you going on about shorter showers, and don't want to take shorter showers, and climate change means I need to take shorter showers? Well, gently caress, that's probably all bullshit anyway right? I'm keeping my showers! gently caress you hippies!

It's totally off-message.

I think I need to add this point next to nuclear and gmos on my list of "poo poo I wish environmentalists organizations did right."

edit: ugh, the climate change thread is currently going on about how you shouldn't have children because that just leads to more climate change! I can't think of a better example of this kind of thing.

crazypenguin fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread