Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Desk Lamp posted:

Honestly, if the price of everything Samsung does better

To each his own, but I find that list to be rather sparse and half baked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Samsung does nothing better except maybe hardware. I've dealt with enough "only broken on Samsung" bugs at work to last a lifetime.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I got from work a brand new Samsung phone (not flagship, something lovely but better and newer hardware than my Pixel) and while the hardware seems fine, the software, their software specifically, annoys me to no end. Buggy, weird decisions made in certain corner cases, unexpected behaviour (to me, coming from Pixel), and so on.

Honestly, the only samsung phone that I'll ever get in the future would be a free one given by work, not me paying for it. I put up with it, if I have to, but nothing more.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Volguus posted:

I got from work a brand new Samsung phone (not flagship, something lovely but better and newer hardware than my Pixel) and while the hardware seems fine, the software, their software specifically, annoys me to no end. Buggy, weird decisions made in certain corner cases, unexpected behaviour (to me, coming from Pixel), and so on.

Honestly, the only samsung phone that I'll ever get in the future would be a free one given by work, not me paying for it. I put up with it, if I have to, but nothing more.

I feel like installing a custom launcher would "hide" like most things I theoretically wouldn't like about a Samsung phone? That could be very naive though.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Pvt. Parts posted:

I feel like installing a custom launcher would "hide" like most things I theoretically wouldn't like about a Samsung phone? That could be very naive though.

the last Samsung I had was filled to the brim with bloat, so a new launcher, while possibly making it look nice, probably wouldn't have done much for the bad experience overall.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

bull3964 posted:

To each his own, but I find that list to be rather sparse and half baked.

Fair enough. At this point, one UI and Pixel are different enough that it's almost as tough a switch as going from Android to iOS. You could argue in circles forever but the truth is there's not an objectively superior Android fork between the two.

If you're a Pixel guy, you'll only be annoyed by the differences in a Galaxy and vice versa. If you find yourself looking at alternate launchers and what things to disable on a Galaxy before you even buy one, you shouldn't buy one, get the next Pixel. In that same vein, if you're looking at third-party apps and launchers to get a Pixel to do the things a Galaxy can do, just stick with One UI.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Samsung's Settings menu throws me for a loop when I have to adjust something for my mum, admittedly, yeah

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I feel like most of the really egregious stuff has been resolved. What's left though feels like friction against my preferred design philosophy which, funny enough, has hardened me even more against using them as my daily device.

Take, for example, its insistence on putting marker dots on everything when sometime is added or changed. New quick tile available, add a dot on the quick settings edit button. New sub menu, dot. Same thing on the watch, if one of the tiles updates or you install an app that adds a tile or one updates, dot.

Like, right now my "Add tiles" button on my galaxy watch has a red dot on it (and the last position marker is also red) because apparently Google maps updated so the tile updated.

It's a completely minor thing that in no way affects functionality, but it bugs the ever loving poo poo out of me because I feel compelled to clear it. It's like my device is some needy thing, vying for my attention. See, look at the new thing I have, look!

OnePlus does something similar by putting a dot on apps that have updated since you last opened them. I.dont.care. All I see is now some apps have something that needs to be cleared. If I wanted to see what apps recently updated, I would go to the play store and see.

All of this stuff runs counter to the device being a bit of tech that blends into the background, only being relevant when you want it to be. Useless background noise that adds nothing to the experience.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
On the flip side I usually appreciate those dots on the quick tile because otherwise I'd have no idea a new thing was added there.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Desk Lamp posted:

Fair enough. At this point, one UI and Pixel are different enough that it's almost as tough a switch as going from Android to iOS.

But that's not difficult lol

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

sourdough posted:

But that's not difficult lol

Easier for some than others, I suppose. While I don't find iOS to be bad at all, there are way too many things that bug me about the way it does things that I'll probably never switch to an iPhone as my primary phone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I just can't with iOS's notification system. It's poo poo. It's always been poo poo, it will likely always be poo poo.

Now with this eSIM only crap since last year, it really doesn't matter. I can't even entertain the idea of iPhone tourism because it would be too much of a PITA to switch back and forth.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Samsung One UI etc has been good enough for me, I prefer less swiping and more "as is" stuff. I like Windows operating the same way it has for 20 years etc. I actually prefer the Samsung calendar, since the default month calendar view is my fav. I like the straightforward way you tap a day, it pops up, you tap elsewhere it goes back to the month etc.

I don't like how much Google Calendar defaults to showing you the Schedule view. I also don't like how the schedule view skips empty days etc.

My s21 is haunted though, so I'm a bit agnostic at the moment. Well it's USB-C jack is haunted, in relation to headphones, but I got no takers on that one. It's spooky.

Also why do phones keep getting taller? Sensibly they aren't getting much wider, but I don't have any use for a phone that's twice as tall. A 16:9 video in landscape is still gonna have a bunch of black space, I'm still reading stuff in portrait mode so I'm just scrolling slightly less often. It's madness. Anyways phones peaked with the s10e, I demand a headphone jack and good old fashioned phone values. A phone that cares about the little guy. A socially democratic phone for my mp3s and gifs.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Ultra Carp
Is there a trustworthy sleep timer app?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Heavy Metal posted:

Samsung One UI etc has been good enough for me, I prefer less swiping and more "as is" stuff. I like Windows operating the same way it has for 20 years etc. I actually prefer the Samsung calendar, since the default month calendar view is my fav. I like the straightforward way you tap a day, it pops up, you tap elsewhere it goes back to the month etc.

I don't like how much Google Calendar defaults to showing you the Schedule view. I also don't like how the schedule view skips empty days etc.

That's a good example. Another example is how Samsung's messaging app works across all of your devices and on PC without all the QR code scanning and notification issues you get using Google Messages.

Samsung's hands are pretty much tied as long as Google forces them to include duplicate apps, but it's trivial to disable and hide the ones you don't use, so it's never actually been an issue for me.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Howdy Android thread, here for a temperature check:

The OP was made in 2016 and that was seven years ago! Would you all be interested in a new one? As this thread is active by IYG standards, it's probably beneficial to reduce barriers to entry by newcomers looking for answers.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Lol that we were all switching to usb-c that long ago and it's still considered a 'new' thing in 2023

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yes please. I don't think Nexus are the "phones that matter" anymore. :)

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Mr. Mercury posted:

Howdy Android thread, here for a temperature check:

The OP was made in 2016 and that was seven years ago! Would you all be interested in a new one? As this thread is active by IYG standards, it's probably beneficial to reduce barriers to entry by newcomers looking for answers.

Yeah, I'd love this, especially because Pixels have changed the landscape so much, and selfishly because I'm considering going non-Pixel after this 6.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Are there any sleeper hit phones right now? Like how say the OnePlus 1 was when it first came out. I kinda like the form factor of the Zenphone, but not sure if there's say, a camera powerhouse, or an OS masterpiece, etc.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Vim Fuego posted:

Is there a trustworthy sleep timer app?

Is that different than an alarm?
I've been using AMDroid for probably a decade or more.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amdroidalarmclock.amdroid

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Artelier posted:

Are there any sleeper hit phones right now? Like how say the OnePlus 1 was when it first came out. I kinda like the form factor of the Zenphone, but not sure if there's say, a camera powerhouse, or an OS masterpiece, etc.

I had some really great Honor then Huawei phones but then...

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Twerk from Home posted:

Yeah, I'd love this, especially because Pixels have changed the landscape so much, and selfishly because I'm considering going non-Pixel after this 6.

Defend your future purchases!

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Desk Lamp posted:

That's a good example. Another example is how Samsung's messaging app works across all of your devices and on PC without all the QR code scanning and notification issues you get using Google Messages.

Samsung's hands are pretty much tied as long as Google forces them to include duplicate apps, but it's trivial to disable and hide the ones you don't use, so it's never actually been an issue for me.

Curious what issues you have had with notifications or QR codes?

The only notification issues I have seen is if I have the web message app open and in focus on my PC and I walk away, my phone may not give me a notification for a message being received for the specific conversation that is open on the PC for up to 20 minutes. But that hasn't happened a while, so I think it is fixed.

Are there other issues you have seen?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Defend your future purchases!

I just want to know what's out there, honest! The market seems to have fully consolidated around Pixel and Samsung.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Zenphone 10 is on its way! Me and my tiny hands are very excited.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

smoobles posted:

Zenphone 10 is on its way! Me and my tiny hands are very excited.

Oh, my buddy has that one, it's really nice

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Mr. Mercury posted:

Oh, my buddy has that one, it's really nice

I love the green color so much I'm going caseless with drop protection.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Lowen SoDium posted:

Curious what issues you have had with notifications or QR codes?

The only notification issues I have seen is if I have the web message app open and in focus on my PC and I walk away, my phone may not give me a notification for a message being received for the specific conversation that is open on the PC for up to 20 minutes. But that hasn't happened a while, so I think it is fixed.

Are there other issues you have seen?

That's exactly what I mean, having to scan QR codes and run web apps, or making sure you don't leave the app in focus so you can get your notifications when you walk away. With a Galaxy, al of your messages just show up on your phone, your tablet, your watch, and on your PC, you don't have to deal with any of that.

Going even further than that, you can leave your phone in another room and still have access to all its apps and functions through either your tablet or your PC. You can copy something on your phone and paste it on your tablet, continue your internet browsing from one device to another, easily share files, use the same mouse and keyboard to control all your devices at the same time, etc.

To me, personally, it's a more complete and compelling package, on a Pixel or any other Android, it's either not possible, or requires workarounds and doesn't work as well.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

As both a Samsung fan and user, Samsung phones work best when you use a Samsung phone exclusively. It's no wonder people who bounce between various near-stock experiences and One UI don't like the experience. When you're very used to One UI, the things it adds make for a good experience, IMO anyway. There's a reason most Android updates are little more than the One UI features of a couple years ago that people liked.
Samsung phones are also more technically minded and if you want to do "cool nerd poo poo" with your phone, you're going to find more support there.
Not only can no other phone get close to the DEX experience, most don't even allow video over USB-C, so the idea of being able to carry a USB Type-C to HDMI adapter and using the phone as a mini PC box, games console or HTPC - which any modern device should be capable of - is walled off on most other phones.
They also support other more niche applications over USB-OTG. For instance, there's NTFS support on samsung phones that's almost no-where else, and the port is powerful enough with it's output to attach portable HDDs to it.
Most are little things, and most are niche, but if you get used to their way of doing things and capabilities stock android feels lacking.

Ultimately people like me like them because it's a feel thing. One UI tries to be a portable computer in your pocket. Stock android tries to be an iOS clone. The two have moved a lot closer with android adding One UI capabilities but there's still enough there to make using stock android niggle that feeling when you try to move outside the iphone-clone use case.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Ultra Carp

deong posted:

Is that different than an alarm?
I've been using AMDroid for probably a decade or more.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amdroidalarmclock.amdroid

Yeah, by sleep timer app I mean an app that will shut the youtube app off after 45 minutes or whatever time I set.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Wonder if the sleep routine (samsung) can be used like that. It can be set to disable all apps. The condition to trigger could be after x time if YouTube is running.

Found this googling, looks like what you want
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ch.pboos.android.SleepTimer

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Khablam posted:

As both a Samsung fan and user, Samsung phones work best when you use a Samsung phone exclusively. It's no wonder people who bounce between various near-stock experiences and One UI don't like the experience. When you're very used to One UI, the things it adds make for a good experience, IMO anyway. There's a reason most Android updates are little more than the One UI features of a couple years ago that people liked.
Samsung phones are also more technically minded and if you want to do "cool nerd poo poo" with your phone, you're going to find more support there.
Not only can no other phone get close to the DEX experience, most don't even allow video over USB-C, so the idea of being able to carry a USB Type-C to HDMI adapter and using the phone as a mini PC box, games console or HTPC - which any modern device should be capable of - is walled off on most other phones.
They also support other more niche applications over USB-OTG. For instance, there's NTFS support on samsung phones that's almost no-where else, and the port is powerful enough with it's output to attach portable HDDs to it.
Most are little things, and most are niche, but if you get used to their way of doing things and capabilities stock android feels lacking.

Ultimately people like me like them because it's a feel thing. One UI tries to be a portable computer in your pocket. Stock android tries to be an iOS clone. The two have moved a lot closer with android adding One UI capabilities but there's still enough there to make using stock android niggle that feeling when you try to move outside the iphone-clone use case.

is this a SYQ I can't even tell

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Man I haven't thought about DEX in years. I didn't realize people actually use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Alrighty folks, new thread is live. Please migrate on over and bathe it in your brain vomit! It is late and I'm fried.

If you can think of important things/questions I missed, by all means post— I left some room in a fixed post for goon info to add later.

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Sep 15, 2023