Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Battery Stats are complete poo poo with kitkat, is there an app that will fill my need to figure out why my battery sucks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ashex posted:

Battery Stats are complete poo poo with kitkat, is there an app that will fill my need to figure out why my battery sucks?
Accessing battery stats requires root as of KitKat. If you have that you can use BetterBatteryStats or GSam Battery Monitor.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

5.0.2? I didn't even get 5.0.1 yet! Although I'm not seeing (m)any of the bugs that people here report in 5.0, like the redraw and Wifi bugs and whatnot. At least...I don't think I am?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Tunga posted:

Accessing battery stats requires root as of KitKat. If you have that you can use BetterBatteryStats or GSam Battery Monitor.

I'm not averse to that so I guess I'll go that route. On a sidenote, has Tasker become unreliable for anyone else in Lollipop?

I have a profile that simply toggles Wifi when I'm in the vicinity of work/home and I always have problems with it turning on, never off. GPS is turned on and it was working fine in KitKat.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile the other day and got an LG G3. Its much nicer than expected, Samsung had me thinking all android phones were garbage. The only issue I've run into though is battery life. I understand it has a 2k display, so that will lessen the battery life, but when it says I've got 3.5 hours left after only 45 minutes of use I get a bit concerned.

Any tips on how to improve the life of this thing? I'd prefer to not have to carry my charger everywhere, and I'm not buying an extra battery.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
The first couple/few days you use the phone will likely result in shorter than expected battery life, since you're playing a lot with it and installing a lot of poo poo. Give it a week or two; if you're not easily getting through a day by that point, take it back.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Thermopyle posted:

As a developer, every time I hear this I weep.

Yes it would be complicated.

Ideally you'd be able to tweak a theme value though, since Material has the whole palette and hinting thing going on, so it's not actually that out there if they stuck an API on it.

Of course in reality it's a rat's nest of themes and references and compatibility libraries, but hey the world can dream

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

baka kaba posted:

so it's not actually that out there if they stuck an API on it.

But why would they? What do they have to gain?
You want them to put extra man hours into a feature that only the worst humans will use. More code is more place for something to go wrong and more poo poo to maintain. How is that a win on their part?
On top of all that, they have a team of marketers that actually do care that gmail is represented with "gmail red". Can you imagine some nerdass showing off his custom scheme with black and purple and chiller font and dragonforce as his inbox background? Is that how you would want your product presented?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Sir Unimaginative posted:

OG Nexus 7 (the WiFi-only version, anyway) now has 5.0.2 (LRX22G) available for sideload direct from Google. I don't know if it's available OTA; someone else will have to check that.

I can report that, at least as a :pt: sideload, it's finally ready for prime time (insofar as a 2012 Nexus 7 ROM can be).

Note that installing this the way that page tells you to will wipe goddamn everything, including the user storage.

Post-lollipop update, our N7 slowly deteriorated from rebooting several times per hour to just sitting at the boot animation forever and I just have no desire to put in to janitoring the thing back to life. Thanks Google.

Oh, this belongs in the tablet thread.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Probably your apps

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

RZA Encryption posted:

You want them to put extra man hours into a feature that only the worst humans will use. More code is more place for something to go wrong and more poo poo to maintain. How is that a win on their part?
On top of all that, they have a team of marketers that actually do care that gmail is represented with "gmail red". Can you imagine some nerdass showing off his custom scheme with black and purple and chiller font and dragonforce as his inbox background? Is that how you would want your product presented?

I don't want them to? I don't particularly care! I'm just saying Material Design's theming is built around 'branding' colours, and automated APIs to spin off the related palettes, so it's not that far away from developers being able to put a 'change colour' option in their app if they want to. The reality is always horribly complicated and full of caveats, but the functionality is kinda working its way in

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Tunga posted:

With the stock backup system (I have a Moto X), how much is restored if you have to reset the device to root it?

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
Just got my Moto X 2013, I like it a lot but is having the "ok Google Now..." feature on all the time a good idea? I thought the only reason Apple does it when the phone is plugged in was because constantly listening for a phrase is a serious drain on the battery? Is this somehow not the case?

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Melmac posted:

Just got my Moto X 2013, I like it a lot but is having the "ok Google Now..." feature on all the time a good idea? I thought the only reason Apple does it when the phone is plugged in was because constantly listening for a phrase is a serious drain on the battery? Is this somehow not the case?

It uses a second low power cpu, so no, it's actually not the case.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Melmac posted:

Moto designed some special low-power hardware to handle the constant listening without draining your battery. Leave it on and enjoy peace of mind.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

WhyteRyce posted:

Should I not expect Moto Voice to read my text messages if I have Hangouts as the default text messaging app?

It should read text messages even if you are using hangouts (it just won't read hangouts messages). I don't think it cares what SMS app is used as it reads off the SMS repository itself rather than interacting with whatever SMS app is in use.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

One day I hope the Moto assist stuff becomes a normal part of Android as a whole because it super cool and would make Android so much better overall.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Penguissimo posted:

Moto designed some special low-power hardware to handle the constant listening without draining your battery. Leave it on and enjoy peace of mind.

Mooktastical posted:

It uses a second low power cpu, so no, it's actually not the case.

Wow, that is really cool. Thank you, I did not know that.

Skeezy posted:

One day I hope the Moto assist stuff becomes a normal part of Android as a whole because it super cool and would make Android so much better overall.

Agreed! Which reminds me. Someone told me using the Nova Launcher could cause some Moto stuff to not work properly. Has anyone found that to be true?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Melmac posted:

Agreed! Which reminds me. Someone told me using the Nova Launcher could cause some Moto stuff to not work properly. Has anyone found that to be true?

I can't think of any reason this would be true. I've certainly used Nova ever since I got my 2013 X a year ago and haven't had any issues.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

For people with a Nexus 6, is the front-facing camera perfectly centered under the cutout in the glass or slightly off? Mine is just a bit off and while it's not causing any problems, it concerns me a little as far as build quality.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I mentioned this in the last thread but goddamn does a high volume of white noise/ambient noise gently caress up motorolas always listening for moto voice. I'm a pilot and the ambient noise is high enough that I wear earplugs + a sound insulated helmet but at the right volume that I can hear my noises from my phone, especially the high pitched tone that plays after you say "ok google now" or whatever your phrase is. Flying the other day I had it go off on three separate occassions. I wish it had a setting in the quick settings to turn it off. I love taking it out of my pocket to see the random poo poo its searched.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

RZA Encryption posted:

Christ dude, it's just giving people another harmless option to customize their phones, you know, one of Android's strengths over its competitors. I probably wouldn't even change from the default but there's no need to be so overzealous.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Desk Lamp posted:

Christ dude, it's just giving people another harmless option to customize their phones, you know, one of Android's strengths over its competitors. I probably wouldn't even change from the default but there's no need to be so overzealous.

Don't try to reason with him, anyone that wants to customize their user experience past what the OEM intends/allows is a hopeless sperglord, and Literally Hitler.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

I think his point was that it isn't necessarily harmless from either a coding perspective or a branding perspective.

I'd add that from a UI/UX perspective it sounds like it would be a nightmare to have a system-level mechanism for managing the colors of every app on the device. What you'd have would either be a way to select a predefined theme that you then have to enforce every app be somehow compatible with or you'd have a list of installed apps that you could select the changeable attributes for each one. Neither is the kind of thing any normal user should be confronted with out of the box as the former option won't be flexible enough to make the people interested in customization happy and the latter would just be a terrible experience.

Given the amount of effort and money that goes into branding nobody is going to give users the ability to just strip that out.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

LastInLine posted:

I think his point was that it isn't necessarily harmless from either a coding perspective or a branding perspective.

I'd add that from a UI/UX perspective it sounds like it would be a nightmare to have a system-level mechanism for managing the colors of every app on the device. What you'd have would either be a way to select a predefined theme that you then have to enforce every app be somehow compatible with or you'd have a list of installed apps that you could select the changeable attributes for each one. Neither is the kind of thing any normal user should be confronted with out of the box as the former option won't be flexible enough to make the people interested in customization happy and the latter would just be a terrible experience.

Given the amount of effort and money that goes into branding nobody is going to give users the ability to just strip that out.

But I need any option I can conceive because otherwise I'm being restricted!!

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
It's MY device I should be able to do whatever I want with it!!!!

Oh what's that, I don't own the software too?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

LastInLine posted:

I'd add that from a UI/UX perspective it sounds like it would be a nightmare to have a system-level mechanism for managing the colors of every app on the device.

I can't believe you people are worried about branding and pissing of marketing people. Did you get your phone for free in a sponsorship deal? You love your corporate overloads that much you are afraid of offending them?

Do you think windows had such a problem implementing a theme system? You can change the window frame color and adjust transparency with very little difficulty in windows. Now that apps are trying to conform to the material design specs you think they are not going to add OS wide themes in a future android release? Its only a matter of time until this option is available and what are you going to say then?

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Mooktastical posted:

Don't try to reason with him, anyone that wants to customize their user experience past what the OEM intends/allows is a hopeless sperglord, and Literally Hitler.

Do you theme gmail too? If so, you're at least Hitlerian.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Nooooo thread turn left turn left

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'm glad the Android thread remains the same. :downsbravo:

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

r0ck0 posted:

I can't believe you people are worried about branding and pissing of marketing people. Did you get your phone for free in a sponsorship deal? You love your corporate overloads that much you are afraid of offending them?
No. However, we realize that the people who do branding and marketing aren't going to want people loving with that.

quote:

Do you think windows had such a problem implementing a theme system? You can change the window frame color and adjust transparency with very little difficulty in windows. Now that apps are trying to conform to the material design specs you think they are not going to add OS wide themes in a future android release? Its only a matter of time until this option is available and what are you going to say then?
Yes, Windows and Android are exactly the same, so it only makes sense these system-wide themes will happen. You're right though, it's only a matter of time until the option is available either in stock android or some fork of it, and I fully expect it to be profoundly broken in many ways.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

r0ck0 posted:

Do you think windows had such a problem implementing a theme system?

Windows isn't made by an advertising company that licensed its last major operating system revision in the name of a loving candy bar.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Can we close this thread

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Manky posted:

Windows isn't made by an advertising company that licensed its last major operating system revision in the name of a loving candy bar.

:pusheen:

Also, it's a phone not a computer so deal with it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

gently caress, stop it, you're giving me flashbacks to that one time that I installed Paranoid Android.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Skeezy posted:

I'm glad the Android thread remains the same. :downsbravo:
I seriously wish there was a no-sperglord version of this thread.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I just got a system update on my M7 to fix the recent and very annoying bug that broke phone call audio. Apparently it was caused by last month's HTC services update. It happened to me 2 or 3 times this month but was always fixed by a restart. So if you've got an M7, check for it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

r0ck0 posted:

No one was saying they were worried about branding and pissing of marketing people. They were mentioning another reason system level themeing of apps isn't likely to happen. In fact like one person in this thread (RZA Encryption) would be offended (or whatever) by the inclusion of system themeing, everyone else who talked about it have just mentioned why it's not likely to happen.

Chill out man!

Also, how the gently caress do you spell "themeing".

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Thermopyle posted:

Also, how the gently caress do you spell "themeing".

I don't know that's why I just said theme. Anyway, mainstream themeing is going to happen so hold onto your suspenders, nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I wish I worked on more than just one website, otherwise I'd put this code code on every page, always in different colors, just for r0ck0