Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I hope 14 either drops in the next few days or after next week when I'm back from holiday. I won't be able to resist the urge to factory reset when it's out and I don't want to have to setup all my stuff on holiday.

Speaking of which, got myself this to hopefully reduce the number of chargers I need to bring. I take it that's a decent piece of equipment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I got a sick MagSafe case for my Fold 5 and it rocks being able to snap my phone to a charger or a car mount with the power of MAGNETS

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Which one

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Aware posted:

Which one

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPnXFXU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

How do you share a website from a Pixel phone to a Pixel tablet? It says it was sent but nothing pops up on the tablet. I've never owned two Android devices at once before, so this is new and scary turf for me.

Pixel tablet owns btw.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Are you signed into Chrome in both? I believe that's how it shares?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

deong posted:

Are you signed into Chrome in both? I believe that's how it shares?

I am. No luck. Is there supposed to be a notification or something on the receiving device?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

smoobles posted:

I am. No luck. Is there supposed to be a notification or something on the receiving device?

It just does that sometimes, might pop up when you least expect it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Firefox works well for sharing tabs between my devices, try that, with uBlock Origin installed.

CaptainCourteous
Jan 15, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Firefox works well for sharing tabs between my devices, try that with uBlock Origin installed in a small town.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I hope 14 either drops in the next few days or after next week when I'm back from holiday. I won't be able to resist the urge to factory reset when it's out and I don't want to have to setup all my stuff on holiday.

Speaking of which, got myself this to hopefully reduce the number of chargers I need to bring. I take it that's a decent piece of equipment?

It's now rumored* to be next month to coincide with the Pixel 8.

"Yes, I know to take rumors with a grain of salt.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is it normal for an S23 to become almost painfully hot during a system update? 1.2gb update, took maybe 5-10 minutes, during which the battery drained by 5% and it became really hot.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Firefox works well for sharing tabs between my devices, try that, with uBlock Origin installed.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I don't know what the deal is, but Firefox is extremely slow and unresponsive on my pixel 7. There's a good half second delay to clicking links, scrolling, anything. Sucks because I really like it on desktop and ios.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Desk Lamp posted:

It just does that sometimes, might pop up when you least expect it.

lol that's pretty funny. the primary reason I got a Pixel Tablet besides having $200 in store credit was to stick it in the kitchen & send recipes to it from my phone 🤔 welp

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

smoobles posted:

How do you share a website from a Pixel phone to a Pixel tablet? It says it was sent but nothing pops up on the tablet. I've never owned two Android devices at once before, so this is new and scary turf for me.

Pixel tablet owns btw.

update:

I've now tried all permutations of sharing across Pixel, Pixel Tablet, and Desktop, and nothing works

Is this a feature Google killed but forgot to remove the button?

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

smoobles posted:

update:

I've now tried all permutations of sharing across Pixel, Pixel Tablet, and Desktop, and nothing works

Is this a feature Google killed but forgot to remove the button?

https://www.theverge.com/2023/8/30/23852964/google-quietly-removed-a-click-to-call-feature-from-chrome

Looks like it was killed off recently. It is making me want to switch off of my Pixel 7. TD Canada Trust does not support Google Pay and Google Wallet, and most of the "features" of the phones are usually not working for me one way or another.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Could use something like KDE Connect.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does Nearby Share work?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Termyie posted:

TD Canada Trust does not support Google Pay and Google Wallet

It's absolutely pathetic that TD still does not support this. They even support Samsung Pay.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

smoobles posted:

Pixel tablet owns btw.

I've used join across all my devices for years now

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.joaomgcd.join

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
You can still open links from a Galaxy phone in a Galaxy Tab. It might be possible to use Samsung Internet on the Pixels to achieve the same thing. I'm not sure it'll actually work, but it might save your recipe flinging dreams.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
The only solution is to just spin up a Mealie container on your home server* and import the recipe into it on your phone then on your tablet you can pull it up and check off your progress and what not. And rate it. And save all the recipes.

* time to get a home server if you don't have one. Mealie can run on a pi or something tiny like that.

I'm sort of kidding but not really, mealie is cool.

https://github.com/mealie-recipes/mealie

Come hy the self hosting thread if you end up going that way and wanna chat about it

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3985071&pagenumber=23&perpage=40

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's absolutely pathetic that TD still does not support this. They even support Samsung Pay.

The reason TD does not support Google Pay and Google Wallet is because Google refuses to put any buyer's protection on their payment gateway. Google also do not support local card information storage to the device so if there is no internet access, you can't make any payment. If you have no service, you can still pay for things with Samsung and Apple. These were things that were baked into TD Mobile Pay before TD killed it off.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Evernote is probably your best bet to clip recipes

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Termyie posted:

The reason TD does not support Google Pay and Google Wallet is because Google refuses to put any buyer's protection on their payment gateway. Google also do not support local card information storage to the device so if there is no internet access, you can't make any payment. If you have no service, you can still pay for things with Samsung and Apple. These were things that were baked into TD Mobile Pay before TD killed it off.

honestly I don't care what their excuse is. This isn't a problem for most other banks, Apple Pay and Samsung Pay, it's incredibly stupid that just TD has a problem with this and just Google Pay.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Anyone taking stock of the possible rumoured prices for Pixel 8.

(899 Eur for base 128gb model, jump of 150).

Really hoping it's not that bad, that's gonna be like $1350aud (more likely gonna be $1400)

I moved back to pixel for a cheaper phone, but thats pushing back into the too much for me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Termyie posted:

so if there is no internet access, you can't make any payment.

Not strictly true. Google Pay holds a number of tokens locally which would allow you to make a limited number of offline payments before they would need to be refreshed.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Android 14 Beta 5.3 was released so I guess that answers that as to if the final was juuuuust around the corner.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Paprika is still the absolute standard for cross device recipe management

Was originally a goon made thing too iirc?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Yeah Paprika was one of the best software purchases I've done. Works great.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Fhqwhgads posted:

Not sure if this goes here or the headphones thread, but I'm using a pair of Galaxy Buds+ with my Pixel 7 Pro and is it normal for BT to have a massive amount of audio lag? I feel it's like a full second behind what I'm seeing on the screen.

I have 3 different versions of the pixel buds and they all do this too. I think it's just a bt thing, at least in my experience.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Android 14 Beta 5.3 was released so I guess that answers that as to if the final was juuuuust around the corner.

Ah well, obviously isn't ready for prime time yet. 14 seems to have had more time in beta than any, if not all, previous major releases. Maybe they spent a lot of development time on the Fold and Tablet stuff and it's impacted on the overall delivery?

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

smoobles posted:

Pixel tablet owns btw.

Couldn't you use Pushbullet for this?

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Couldn't you just bookmark the recipe and then open the bookmark on the tablet?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

smoobles posted:

Pixel tablet owns btw.

Since I use discord anyways I created a private server that I use to share links and small files between devices.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I just tied send to device a few times and got nothing, then all the notifications came in at once and was working without delay after that. So I have no idea really.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Just send the link via Chrome chat. Or map chat, photo chat.. one of those no one ever uses.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Blurb3947 posted:

Could use something like KDE Connect.

KDE Connect is great, but for the recipe-sharing it seems like the easiest thing would be to paste the URL into a Google Keep note, then open it on Keep on the other device. Or, hell, just paste the recipe into Google Keep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Firefox. Works every time. Thank me later!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Anyone? Bueller?