Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

bull3964 posted:

KitKat. Your phone is running KitKat, not Jellybean :)

Shows how much I think about it :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

cuedotcom posted:

chrome -> settings -> merge tabs -> off

Oh my god, thanks for this.....

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
So I ordered a daughter board to hopefully fix my Nexus 4's flaky microphone. Finished the swap about a half an hour ago and so far, so good. Unfortunately, it didn't cause the LED to start working again, which is strange, since that does seem to be a part of that board.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Boywunda posted:

Oh my god, thanks for this.....

First time I opened Chrome after 5.0.0 installed it asked me if the separate tabs was behavior I wanted to keep, and instructions to change it back...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

amenenema posted:

First time I opened Chrome after 5.0.0 installed it asked me if the separate tabs was behavior I wanted to keep, and instructions to change it back...
Remember when this behavior was announced at the Lollipop preview and everyone was like Oh yes! This is going to be great! and I was skeptical and then it came out and the end result was that you have a billion tabs open and completely lost in a sea of every app you've ever used so you can never find the one you want and no idea what's even on those tabs because some came from links and some came from other tabs and you never close any of them?

I'm just saying I was right, and it's an awful idea executed poorly.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

Remember when this behavior was announced at the Lollipop preview and everyone was like Oh yes! This is going to be great! and I was skeptical and then it came out and the end result was that you have a billion tabs open and completely lost in a sea of every app you've ever used so you can never find the one you want and no idea what's even on those tabs because some came from links and some came from other tabs and you never close any of them?

I'm just saying I was right, and it's an awful idea executed poorly.

My first thought was "this worked ok on the Pre" but that's because you never had more than a half dozen cards open anyway. With literally every app on the phone in the "recents" stack, not so much.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

sirbeefalot posted:

My first thought was "this worked ok on the Pre" but that's because you never had more than a half dozen cards open anyway. With literally every app on the phone in the "recents" stack, not so much.
Agreed, it made sense in your head. I don't think too many of us expected the recents list to never depopulate even after a reboot so that was unexpected. Still I tried for a while to give it a chance because so many here were so enthusiastic about it and nope, it was terrible. It got to the point where I'd have to look on other devices to see what tabs were open on the phone and I just thought "This is ridiculous" and disabled it.

Maybe if recents would group the Chrome tabs in a sensible way but no, they're just shat all over a rolodex of like fifty things.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

LastInLine posted:

That is crazy and I've never seen it. I wish I had a suggestion on how to stop it but I don't.

Just wanted to reply to this because i found the culprit. Commute sharing was on on google now, and since i went on the road trips straight after work google now kept broadcasting as if I was on my commute home. That was what ate up so much data.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I'm looking for a decent leather case for my G3. I've found a number of them, but they're all folio or wallet style ones with screen covers, which is not what I'm wanting. I'd prefer something similar to the leather cases Apple makes for the iPhones, though probably a higher quality leather. Does any one have any suggestions on a brand or where to look? Amazon is proving fruitless.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Does the Wifi usage stay on with Lollipop for anyone else? I turn off Wifi and it still shows as being used, I have it turned off for Location too so it's not being randomly turned on by that. It's in continuous usage.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

joepinetree posted:

Just wanted to reply to this because i found the culprit. Commute sharing was on on google now, and since i went on the road trips straight after work google now kept broadcasting as if I was on my commute home. That was what ate up so much data.

Christ that sucks, whats the fix for the future?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Ashex posted:

Does the Wifi usage stay on with Lollipop for anyone else? I turn off Wifi and it still shows as being used, I have it turned off for Location too so it's not being randomly turned on by that. It's in continuous usage.

Yes, from the last thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3583699&pagenumber=589#lastpost

quote:

Stop turning off wifi or don't join networks you're only going to use occasionally. Leaving it on has a negligible negative impact to battery life.

Its broken is all I can figure.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

I think this has to do with having scanning always enabled even if WiFi is off (check the advanced section of WiFi settings).

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

withoutclass posted:

I think this has to do with having scanning always enabled even if WiFi is off (check the advanced section of WiFi settings).

No, thats disabled too.

quote:

Running 5.0.1 on nexus 5. I turn off wifi but in the battery stats it still shows as being on, solid bar no breaks. Whats the deal with that? In kitkat when I turned off wifi it would stop showing up in battery stats as turned on. I have scanning while turned off disabled in wifi settings.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Agreed, it made sense in your head. I don't think too many of us expected the recents list to never depopulate even after a reboot so that was unexpected. Still I tried for a while to give it a chance because so many here were so enthusiastic about it and nope, it was terrible. It got to the point where I'd have to look on other devices to see what tabs were open on the phone and I just thought "This is ridiculous" and disabled it.

Maybe if recents would group the Chrome tabs in a sensible way but no, they're just shat all over a rolodex of like fifty things.

I always thought it would be a horrible idea.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

r0ck0 posted:

Christ that sucks, whats the fix for the future?

There's nothing broken to fix.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skywalker OG posted:

I always thought it would be a horrible idea.
You and me both, brother.

joepinetree posted:

Thanks for this, a genuine "Huh" from me. I get the feeling Google overlooks things like this just because of the SV attitude of "well we all have unlimited data, right?" when in flyover country that is definitely not the case.

Ashex posted:

Please just stop turning off wifi. It doesn't kill your battery, it doesn't do anything except work as it should for location features. I know it's tough to accept given where Android came from but seriously freeing yourself from janitoring this will only make your life better. Just turn off notifications for unknown access points and enjoy some freedom from micromanaging. I did it in the Gingerbread to ICS changeover and don't miss it at all. My wife waited until KitKat to Lollipop to do it and I can assure you it's just nice to forget that this was ever an issue.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Finally got my Nexus 6. I love it, it's super smooth even with the dreaded encryption, at least coming from a Note 3. Lollpop 5.0.1 is amazing, screen is amazing, build quality is the best I've ever had, I don't know what all the fuss is about. If anything my complaints are that the phone edges are almost too skinny, but I haven't been able to put my case on so that will help. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the "double pull down" notification shade, although it's not horrible.

Also it's time for a English CA option. Google Play chose English UK by default. We should be able to choose our own preference on every UK/US variant to make it true to the confused Canadian way of life. :canada:

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Thermopyle posted:

There's nothing broken to fix.

I meant how can you fix it in the future if you leave work and go on a road trip. Is there a way to turn it off or stop it from doing that?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

So after using iOS for a while and going back to lollipop I find myself really missing two things: app extensions (aka 1password filling in fields automatically in safari and some 3rd party apps) and touchid.

Does something comparable to app extensions not exist in android, or can I just not find it?

The android devices I have don't have a fingerprint scanner, for those that do how well does it actually work? Does it have the same ability to replace passcodes generically for any app that supports them, or does the implementation vary by vendor?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Maneki Neko posted:

So after using iOS for a while and going back to lollipop I find myself really missing two things: app extensions (aka 1password filling in fields automatically in safari and some 3rd party apps) and touchid.

Does something comparable to app extensions not exist in android, or can I just not find it?

The android devices I have don't have a fingerprint scanner, for those that do how well does it actually work? Does it have the same ability to replace passcodes generically for any app that supports them, or does the implementation vary by vendor?

LastPass fills in apps and Chrome, so I imagine any similar app should too. For fingerprint scanners, I know there are bad ones (Galaxy S5) and some that aren't as bad, just in terms of it reading your finger on the first try easily, but I don't think any are near as good as iPhone and I'm almost positive the integration in software is poor.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Lastpass can also use the fingerprint reader for authenticating.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

r0ck0 posted:

I meant how can you fix it in the future if you leave work and go on a road trip. Is there a way to turn it off or stop it from doing that?

Yes, he turned commute sharing on. If you're going on a road trip from work, then you turn it off.

They should probably make it so it turns off if you go so far off the route to your home address, but that's a pretty far off edge case.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
I got a Sony Xperia recently and I really dislike the UI. Is there a way to get stock android on to the phone?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I remember in Andoid there used to be a feature that would alert you on what time to leave to get to a location on time. Like if you had a meeting 30 minutes away it would scan the traffic and tell you to leave at 2:30 to get there before 3.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

b0nes posted:

I remember in Andoid there used to be a feature that would alert you on what time to leave to get to a location on time. Like if you had a meeting 30 minutes away it would scan the traffic and tell you to leave at 2:30 to get there before 3.

That still exists.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

b0nes posted:

It's called Google Now and it's such a big deal it's integrated into Google's official launcher. You may have to turn it on in Google Settings (not in the normal settings).

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

tekz posted:

I got a Sony Xperia recently and I really dislike the UI. Is there a way to get stock android on to the phone?

Perhaps check this out? http://developer.sonymobile.com/knowledge-base/open-source/open-devices/list-of-devices-and-resources/

Edit: Eh I guess they don't have images there.

Magog fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Dec 24, 2014

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

tekz posted:

There's no way that isn't going to be an incredibly huge pain with lots of rough edges.

Best thing to do is switch to Now Launcher as your home screen, disable every Sony app you can, and live with the rest.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

tekz posted:

What specifically don't you like?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Installed nova launcher and forgot it was a Sony phone.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Reposting because I got missed before:

My Note 4 keeps "losing" my wifi trusted credentials for my work wifi. Every morning when I come in, I have to modify the wifi settings for this network and my CA Certificate and User Certificate will say "(unspecified)". If I try to click the menu to select my certificate, it won't appear in the list. If I go look in the Trusted Credentials screen in system settings, the cert is definitely there! Nevertheless, the only way to get it to work is to reinstall the certificate and reselect it on the wifi settings. It'll then work for the rest of the day, but every morning I do this dance.

I've even tried re-exporting the certificate from my computer to make sure it wasn't a corrupt cert file.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Reposting because I got missed before:

My Note 4 keeps "losing" my wifi trusted credentials for my work wifi. Every morning when I come in, I have to modify the wifi settings for this network and my CA Certificate and User Certificate will say "(unspecified)". If I try to click the menu to select my certificate, it won't appear in the list. If I go look in the Trusted Credentials screen in system settings, the cert is definitely there! Nevertheless, the only way to get it to work is to reinstall the certificate and reselect it on the wifi settings. It'll then work for the rest of the day, but every morning I do this dance.

I've even tried re-exporting the certificate from my computer to make sure it wasn't a corrupt cert file.
You're not rooted are you?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

datajosh posted:

You're not rooted are you?

Nope. I deliberately didn't mod phone at all because I was tired of constantly having to tech support myself on my rooted s3.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

RVProfootballer posted:

LastPass fills in apps and Chrome, so I imagine any similar app should too. For fingerprint scanners, I know there are bad ones (Galaxy S5) and some that aren't as bad, just in terms of it reading your finger on the first try easily, but I don't think any are near as good as iPhone and I'm almost positive the integration in software is poor.

Ah, looks it must be a 1password limitation on android then, which I guess isn't super surprising.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

joepinetree posted:

I have that commute sharing thing on, but its not shared with anyone. Do you have it shared on G+ or was this just an accident/fluke? Mine doesn't eat up data like that and I have a 53 mile commute each way each weekday.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
quote is not edit

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
What is this thread's opinion on the OnePlus One? Is it worth going through all the bullshit to find an invite?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

OSheaman posted:

What is this thread's opinion on the OnePlus One? Is it worth going through all the bullshit to find an invite?

no

buy a moto or a nexus

this should be in the thread title

edit: or a sony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Penguissimo posted:

no

buy a moto or a nexus

this should be in the thread title

edit: or a sony

I don't know if I could recommend a Moto since their customer service seems horribly lacking ever since Lenovo picked them up...

https://www.reddit.com/r/MotoX/comments/2q46xg/more_moto_customer_service_horror_stories_cracked/

Luckily, an employee of Motorola stepped in but that just seems really lovely and I'd rather not go through that if my Moto phone broke.