Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I do think one comment is spot on...

Do you really think you're going to get anything better from LG or Samsung?

I also can't imagine Sony has a huge CS department for the 5 phones they sell in the US on a yearly basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

ThermoPhysical posted:

I don't know if I could recommend a Moto since their customer service seems horribly lacking ever since Lenovo picked them up...

https://www.reddit.com/r/MotoX/comments/2q46xg/more_moto_customer_service_horror_stories_cracked/

Luckily, an employee of Motorola stepped in but that just seems really lovely and I'd rather not go through that if my Moto phone broke.

This is why I bought the $85 motocare.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ThermoPhysical posted:

I don't know if I could recommend a Moto since their customer service seems horribly lacking ever since Lenovo picked them up...

https://www.reddit.com/r/MotoX/comments/2q46xg/more_moto_customer_service_horror_stories_cracked/

Luckily, an employee of Motorola stepped in but that just seems really lovely and I'd rather not go through that if my Moto phone broke.

A few bad incidents does not a trend make.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Let's not forget moto was replacing broken screens for nothing up until a little while ago. They've been great. Honestly we know nothing of your story other than you don't like them.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

LastInLine posted:

Please just stop turning off wifi. It doesn't kill your battery, it doesn't do anything except work as it should for location features. I know it's tough to accept given where Android came from but seriously freeing yourself from janitoring this will only make your life better. Just turn off notifications for unknown access points and enjoy some freedom from micromanaging. I did it in the Gingerbread to ICS changeover and don't miss it at all. My wife waited until KitKat to Lollipop to do it and I can assure you it's just nice to forget that this was ever an issue.

I guess I'll just leave it on, I've been having battery issues since upgrading to Lollipop (did a clean wipe) so I'm checking everything I can. Battery stats are useless so I'm going to root and use BetterBatteryStats instead.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Ashex posted:

I guess I'll just leave it on, I've been having battery issues since upgrading to Lollipop (did a clean wipe) so I'm checking everything I can. Battery stats are useless so I'm going to root and use BetterBatteryStats instead.

My nexus 5 after a year would only get about 2 hours of screen on time before dying. I called google support and they offered to replace it free of charge, free shipping both ways. If you have a nexus under warranty and its close to a year old you might want to exchange it. My new phone is not a refurb as far as I can tell and the battery life is back to normal.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

r0ck0 posted:

My nexus 5 after a year would only get about 2 hours of screen on time before dying. I called google support and they offered to replace it free of charge, free shipping both ways. If you have a nexus under warranty and its close to a year old you might want to exchange it. My new phone is not a refurb as far as I can tell and the battery life is back to normal.

I bought mine release day so it's out of warranty :(

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

r0ck0 posted:

Didn't they stop producing and selling them? Replacements have to be refurbs at this point.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Might try anyway, they might do it as a one time courtesy.

I think they recently shut down production, but either way it looked brand new, very clean. It did come in a plain white box but other than that it looked fresh.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

It isn't really worth it for me as I bought my nexus 5 in the states and have since moved to Germany. From what I know you have to send it to the warranty center in the country from which you bought it.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
You could also buy a new battery and replace it yourself.

http://www.amazon.de/Akku-intern-BL-T9-Google-Nexus/dp/B00HYN1QIG/

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ashex posted:

Well let's see if we can't do a little tracking. How bad are we talking? Screen-on time? Signal?

When did the problems start? Did it coincide with the move to Germany or is this more recent? Are there good days and bad days or is it consistently bad?

When you set up it post-wipe did you make any changes in way you had the device set up? You must've done very little restoration since you're not rooted so at least we can run through a few scenarios. If you're thinking it's the battery you could always try returning to KitKat and seeing if the problems go away. I know it would be a pain without another device to use but you could try a fresh 5.0.1 image without any apps to see if the problem remains.

I can't help but think though that we're looking for an app (perhaps one that doesn't like something about Lollipop?) instead of a hardware or system issue.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My Spigen Neo Hybrid case for the N6 got all stretched out and useless after taking it off once. Same thing happened with my Note 3 version. Why can't anyone make a decent actually-protective case besides Otterbox?

I ordered a Diztronic due to goon recommendation but it doesn't seem like enough. I have nerve damage and constantly drop my poo poo.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I'm getting a hilarious amount of home screen redraws on my N5 running 5.01. Also constantly losing Google Play Music, Pandora and Netflix in the background. Get your poo poo together, Google! :argh:

Pee pee doo doo it is a bad operating system.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Reverse Centaur posted:

My Spigen Neo Hybrid case for the N6 got all stretched out and useless after taking it off once. Same thing happened with my Note 3 version. Why can't anyone make a decent actually-protective case besides Otterbox?

I ordered a Diztronic due to goon recommendation but it doesn't seem like enough. I have nerve damage and constantly drop my poo poo.

I dropped my N5 with a diztronic TPU case and glass screen protector on it a lot. A lot a lot. I cracked the glass screen protector preeetty early in my ownership of it. Took it off for a battery issue RMA, screen was perfect. There were minor scratches on the corners of the phone from dust and poo poo getting under the case and rubbing it, but I rarely took it off, and worked in dirty environments, so that might not be the same for you.

I've found a TPU case + glass screen protector to be a really, really good balance of protection while adding very little bulk.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
So it looks like I can get either the Sony Z3v or the Moto X 2014 for $100 with a two year contract with Verizon, and I'm back and forth between the two. Assuming that I trust Sony to release Lollipop before too long, and aesthetics aren't too too important for me, is there any other reason to get the Moto X over the Z3v? It seems like the Sony is superior in most specs.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

OSheaman posted:

So it looks like I can get either the Sony Z3v or the Moto X 2014 for $100 with a two year contract with Verizon, and I'm back and forth between the two. Assuming that I trust Sony to release Lollipop before too long, and aesthetics aren't too too important for me, is there any other reason to get the Moto X over the Z3v? It seems like the Sony is superior in most specs.

Z3v is actually just a rebadged Z2. Moto X is probably a better choice.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Doesn't it have a faster processor/better battery life/better camera? That's what the review sites seem to say unless I'm misreading.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

OSheaman posted:

You can also get a Turbo for the same price, which you should definitely consider instead of an X.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

I have a question about Lollipop.

Prior to upgrading my Nexus 4 to Lollipop, I could quickly access my phone's Song Search even without unlocking my screen. I would swipe a certain way and I could immediately begin searching for the song. Now, I can't figure a way to add a widget back to my unlock screen.

Is it possible to add this back with Lollipop?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

johnny sack posted:

I have a question about Lollipop.

Prior to upgrading my Nexus 4 to Lollipop, I could quickly access my phone's Song Search even without unlocking my screen. I would swipe a certain way and I could immediately begin searching for the song. Now, I can't figure a way to add a widget back to my unlock screen.

Is it possible to add this back with Lollipop?
Maybe?

One way might be to find an app that sticks a persistent notification to an app of your choice. Another might be to use the swipe up from the home button to launch into Google Now and invoke the listening that way.

Nothing will work as well as the old lockscreen widgets for your purpose unfortunately.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Reposting because I got missed before:

My Note 4 keeps "losing" my wifi trusted credentials for my work wifi. Every morning when I come in, I have to modify the wifi settings for this network and my CA Certificate and User Certificate will say "(unspecified)". If I try to click the menu to select my certificate, it won't appear in the list. If I go look in the Trusted Credentials screen in system settings, the cert is definitely there! Nevertheless, the only way to get it to work is to reinstall the certificate and reselect it on the wifi settings. It'll then work for the rest of the day, but every morning I do this dance.

I've even tried re-exporting the certificate from my computer to make sure it wasn't a corrupt cert file.

Trying to prevent this being missed again.

And no, I'm not rooted. No modifications whatsoever.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Well let's see if we can't do a little tracking. How bad are we talking? Screen-on time? Signal?

When did the problems start? Did it coincide with the move to Germany or is this more recent? Are there good days and bad days or is it consistently bad?

When you set up it post-wipe did you make any changes in way you had the device set up? You must've done very little restoration since you're not rooted so at least we can run through a few scenarios. If you're thinking it's the battery you could always try returning to KitKat and seeing if the problems go away. I know it would be a pain without another device to use but you could try a fresh 5.0.1 image without any apps to see if the problem remains.

I can't help but think though that we're looking for an app (perhaps one that doesn't like something about Lollipop?) instead of a hardware or system issue.

The signal is generally pretty good and I use it primarily on Wifi, not sure about the screen time though but it's not continuous. The problem started after throwing Lollipop on there, I should mention that my wife used this phone for about 2 months while I got hers fixed (and she can be a bit abusive with the battery but it seemed fine while it was on Kitkat for a couple days).

The bulk of the customization I did after wiping was to transfer my settings via NFC from my S5 (during initial setup this is an option). I do agree it's an app issue, I just can't figure out which app since the battery stats are really inconsistent with Lollipop. I'm going to use BBS today and see if that can pinpoint anything.

r0ck0 posted:

You could also buy a new battery and replace it yourself.

http://www.amazon.de/Akku-intern-BL-T9-Google-Nexus/dp/B00HYN1QIG/

I've considered this but from prior experience it's better to go OEM with the batteries.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Merry Nexmus. Took this tonight with the N6, no editing besides cropping/default settings.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

OSheaman posted:

Doesn't it have a faster processor/better battery life/better camera? That's what the review sites seem to say unless I'm misreading.

It has a newer processor, but doesn't have the better screen from the z3/c. Sony uses a newer screen that greatly reduces the battery consumption of the screen. It also doesn't have a better camera, it's the older z2 camera. Your much better off with either a 2014 moto X or a droid turbo, though the turbo will cost a little more.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

LastInLine posted:

Maybe?

One way might be to find an app that sticks a persistent notification to an app of your choice. Another might be to use the swipe up from the home button to launch into Google Now and invoke the listening that way.

Nothing will work as well as the old lockscreen widgets for your purpose unfortunately.

Thanks for the response and I am bummed to hear that.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
My moto x has been lagging a lot lately (see my previous posts) and I'm happy to report that I managed to solve this issue! Turns out booting into recovery mode and wiping the cache partition did the trick, good as new! :)

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
So I've decided that I'm going to renew my contract and grab a Turbo.

Is there any reason (other than the fact that the 64GB iteration only comes in ballistic nylon) to choose the Ballistic Nylon version over the Kevlar one, since I'm going to be throwing the thing into a case anyway? I don't store much as far as media on my phone, so the extra 32GB is by no means essential.

Anything, from sound quality, cooling, durability, whatever else, might convince me to go for the bigger capacity version, but if it's otherwise identical I can't really justify the expense to myself.

Any thoughts?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Kytrarewn posted:

So I've decided that I'm going to renew my contract and grab a Turbo.

Is there any reason (other than the fact that the 64GB iteration only comes in ballistic nylon) to choose the Ballistic Nylon version over the Kevlar one, since I'm going to be throwing the thing into a case anyway? I don't store much as far as media on my phone, so the extra 32GB is by no means essential.

Anything, from sound quality, cooling, durability, whatever else, might convince me to go for the bigger capacity version, but if it's otherwise identical I can't really justify the expense to myself.

Any thoughts?

I have the nylon version and without a case it's grippier than the Kevlar but that's it. Mine went straight into a case as well.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Just got a white 64 gb Nexus 6 from Motorola if anyone else is looking for one.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Just got a white 64 gb Nexus 6 from Motorola if anyone else is looking for one.

Motorola is selling them direct now?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Variable_H posted:

Motorola is selling them direct now?
They have been for a while, it's how my wife got hers.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

For people who care and ordered a tylt vu during black friday, they emailed me that they got their shipment in, and my order is being processed and shipped next week.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

kri kri posted:

For people who care and ordered a tylt vu during black friday, they emailed me that they got their shipment in, and my order is being processed and shipped next week.
Only a month after ordering.
Still, good news.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Bob A Feet posted:

I have the nylon version and without a case it's grippier than the Kevlar but that's it. Mine went straight into a case as well.

Thanks for the info- I figured that was the case, but didn't want to make a commitment beforehand.

Grabbed a black 32GB from BestBuy for $1.06. Probably the best deal I've ever gotten on a cellular telephone.

Unfortunately, there are some idiosyncrasies:
1. Bestbuy had no cases, and the only reasonable case the verizon store next door had for the thing was an Otterbox Commuter, which is kind of a piece of poo poo. Excessively bulky with stiff controls and difficult to move flaps over the microUSB and 1/8" audio jacks. Feels hollow and weak, while at the same time having absolutely no texture making it altogether too easy to drop or push off of a table. I bought a new iphone5 Commuter for my stepbrother at the same time, and that was definitely a much better thought-out piece of kit.

2. How the gently caress am I supposed to get rid of "Motorola Demo Mode"? I can force stop it every time I turn the phone on, but it doesn't do anything useful, swallows battery life and seemingly can't be permanently disabled without rooting the phone, which I'm not as yet prepared to do. Anyone have a sugggestion?

3. My favorite piece of paid android software is a $10 chromatic tuner app from Pederson called "Strobosoft". Unfortunately, it's not (yet?) supported on the droid turbo, the phone being too new or too limited in terms of distribution (verizon only). My previous phone (Droid DNA) was able to run strobosoft, but none of the SPL meter apps worked well with it since they seem to require a stock microphone profile have been compiled (friends with Samsungs have never had a problem with either, but gently caress Touchwiz). My other chromatic tuner seems to work with it just fine, but it was a bit of a disappointment.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Kytrarewn posted:

2. How the gently caress am I supposed to get rid of "Motorola Demo Mode"? I can force stop it every time I turn the phone on, but it doesn't do anything useful, swallows battery life and seemingly can't be permanently disabled without rooting the phone, which I'm not as yet prepared to do. Anyone have a sugggestion?
Boot into recovery and factory reset, password is "demomodeexit" if it prompts you for it.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Kytrarewn posted:

1. Bestbuy had no cases

Grab a TPU case off amazon for $10 or whatever. Just bought a tudia myself while waiting for diztronic to drop their ballistic nylon version.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I have the commuter and while not gorgeous it does the job which is to keep me from dinging up this beauty

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So what is the best tethering app on the play store for letting my droid phone act as a mobile hotspot without paying verizon a bajillion dollars to let me use my data?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Bob A Feet posted:

I have the commuter and while not gorgeous it does the job which is to keep me from dinging up this beauty

Whose beauty you now cannot see.