Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Knifegrab posted:

So what is the best tethering app on the play store for letting my droid phone act as a mobile hotspot without paying verizon a bajillion dollars to let me use my data?

FoxFi (WiFi Tether w/o Root)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foxfi&hl=en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Whose beauty you now cannot see.
But once the phone is obsolete and someone else's, it will be perfect.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I have an LG G3 on AT&T and I never received the last OTA update. I know it didn't really do much, but I'm curious as to how OTA updates work and why I wouldn't receive one? I also checked using LG PC Suite and it says I'm up to date as well, but my software version is still D85010d.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

SuperDucky posted:

I have that commute sharing thing on, but its not shared with anyone. Do you have it shared on G+ or was this just an accident/fluke? Mine doesn't eat up data like that and I have a 53 mile commute each way each weekday.

I have it shared with my wife. Also, I'd say that it was probably not just the length of the drive, but the fact that it didn't "end" (i.e., I didn't get home that day), and that it had to constantly reroute to find ETA for home. I haven't played around with it enough to find out the particulars of the issue, but the basics are pretty much what I described: 2 dates with huge data spikes for google now, which were also dates where I went out of town straight after work. I hadn't had that issue on trips before turning on commute sharing, after turning it off, or on days where my trips did not start to/from work.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Does anyone use Google Voice Recognition for anything other than English? I'm learning a new language via Duolingo, but it doesn't have any speaking exercises so I want to use speech-to-text instead.

I enabled the secondary language in the voice settings menu, but I can't seem to change it when voice recognition is activated. The menu opens and I select the language, but it remains set to English. Changing my primary language doesn't work (i.e. still always set to English, even if it's a secondary language).

The weird thing is I had it working just fine for maybe five minutes, but this started happening and I have no idea what's going on. Googling it doesn't seem to offer any help.

Using KitKat 4.4.4 on a Nexus 4. The language I'm trying to use is Swedish if that matters.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

Does anyone use Google Voice Recognition for anything other than English? I'm learning a new language via Duolingo, but it doesn't have any speaking exercises so I want to use speech-to-text instead.

I enabled the secondary language in the voice settings menu, but I can't seem to change it when voice recognition is activated. The menu opens and I select the language, but it remains set to English. Changing my primary language doesn't work (i.e. still always set to English, even if it's a secondary language).

The weird thing is I had it working just fine for maybe five minutes, but this started happening and I have no idea what's going on. Googling it doesn't seem to offer any help.

Using KitKat 4.4.4 on a Nexus 4. The language I'm trying to use is Swedish if that matters.
Is there a language setting inside of Google Now?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I just tried it and I'm not sure you can force a language, I think it's meant to auto-detect. I tried saying jag har jordgubbarna and it sometimes works, but my accent is bad so it likes changing it to stuff about YouTube. If I start talking in Spanish it does better (I guess that means I do better :shobon:)

You might be able to give it a hint by selecting a language, but that's a complete guess! It's the same behaviour in the Awful app too, so it seems like system-wide behaviour? Better get badass at them pronunciations!

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Has anyone had any issues with hi-res images being downscaled since Lollipop? No matter how large of an image I download to my Nexus 4, when I zoom in there's no detail. Didn't have this issue before.
Honestly the new Photos app is complete poo poo. I don't care about "Auto Awesome", I just want my chronological folders back.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Hatter106 posted:

Has anyone had any issues with hi-res images being downscaled since Lollipop? No matter how large of an image I download to my Nexus 4, when I zoom in there's no detail. Didn't have this issue before.
Honestly the new Photos app is complete poo poo. I don't care about "Auto Awesome", I just want my chronological folders back.

When I open Photos, they're sorted into days with thumbnails. The photos look as good as they do in any other app.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I had this same problem with an image I downloaded from the Internet on my Nexus 4.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

For some reason, images I download from the net on my Nexus 4 are corrupt when I try to move them to my PC.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

LastInLine posted:

Is there a language setting inside of Google Now?

I'm not sure. I don't use Google Now.

baka kaba posted:

I just tried it and I'm not sure you can force a language, I think it's meant to auto-detect. I tried saying jag har jordgubbarna and it sometimes works, but my accent is bad so it likes changing it to stuff about YouTube. If I start talking in Spanish it does better (I guess that means I do better :shobon:)

You might be able to give it a hint by selecting a language, but that's a complete guess! It's the same behaviour in the Awful app too, so it seems like system-wide behaviour? Better get badass at them pronunciations!

Yeah, I figured it auto-detected, but it would be nice to force it. At least then I can wrestle with similar-sounding Swedish words instead of it just thinking I'm speaking English while drunk off my rear end :sigh:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah I don't really get why there's a dropdown if you can't select anything, but hey. Swedish is new on Duo though (you probably knew that) so hopefully they'll add the talking later

:pcgaming:

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 27, 2014

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
Just for the fun of it, can people post their AnTuTu score of their phone(s)?

For my Xiaomi MI4 it's 44579.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah, I figured it auto-detected, but it would be nice to force it. At least then I can wrestle with similar-sounding Swedish words instead of it just thinking I'm speaking English while drunk off my rear end :sigh:

Given you can enable eight different dialects of English, it's probably very sensitive to accents and won't work that well anyway if you're not a native speaker :eng99:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Kidney Stone posted:

Never tried this but apparently my N6 is the best phone ever made?

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Reverse Centaur posted:

Never tried this but apparently my N6 is the best phone ever made?

Thats loving fast! Mine is just a tad over the M8.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

According to this, my Note 4 isn't quite as good as a note 4.

Knuc U Kinte fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 27, 2014

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
^^timg, dude!

Kidney Stone posted:

I've received an LG L70 as a gift. According to Antutu, it is one of the worst phones ever made: 14252.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Just realized ny phone probably took a gigantic screenshot.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Just realized ny phone probably took a gigantic screenshot.

pro-tip, add an L to the url just before .jpg on imgur to make it a good medium size.

edit: I just watched this. wtf. Pocketnow is usually one of the best tech sites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SAAZdjd1f8

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 27, 2014

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

I've been happy with my moto x except for the battery. Recently I can't make it through a 12 shift with moderate use, ie occasionally googling things or texting my coworkers. I'm leaning towards replacing it with an LG G3, my plan being I can always swap out the battery on a long shift, or permanently if it starts to crap out down the road. I'll stop by t mobile to check out an xperia z3,but I'm sticking with at&t for now (might change to Cricket but that's another story). Any thoughts? I love the minimal ui and active notifications on moto x, so I'm leaning away from a galaxy note or s5.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The UI on the LG phones isn't any better than touchwiz.

Anyway consider an external battery that connects to the USB port on the phone - sure this is a bit inconvenient but actually replacing the battery in the phone is even more so (remember you'll have to wait an eternity for the phone to reboot)

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

dissss posted:

The UI on the LG phones isn't any better than touchwiz.

Anyway consider an external battery that connects to the USB port on the phone - sure this is a bit inconvenient but actually replacing the battery in the phone is even more so (remember you'll have to wait an eternity for the phone to reboot)

Got one, it's a massive pain in the rear end to use. Would much rather hot swap.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Reverse Centaur posted:

pro-tip, add an L to the url just before .jpg on imgur to make it a good medium size.

edit: I just watched this. wtf. Pocketnow is usually one of the best tech sites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SAAZdjd1f8

Holy poo poo, did that guy actually just use his wife's dead dad as a way to review a nexus phone?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

ArgaWarga posted:

Got one, it's a massive pain in the rear end to use. Would much rather hot swap.

You can't 'hot swap' a battery in a phone - you need to completely shut the thing down, pry off the flimsy battery door, swap the battery then wait for the phone to boot. Then do it all again to recharge the flat battery.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Variable_H posted:

Holy poo poo, did that guy actually just use his wife's dead dad as a way to review a nexus phone?

Yeah what the gently caress

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Variable_H posted:

He doesn't even really name anything that he did that makes these Nexus devices a particularly good choice. The video is basically: modern technology is great. Which actually could have been a decent video, talking about how we take these things for granted during stressful times or whatever. But somehow his conclusion from this is: buy a Nexus phone.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 28, 2014

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
*sad piano notes* "Although I was in the right place, doing the right things, work began to pile up, issues and emergencies had to be dealt with."

"Luckily I had my Nexus at my side." *somber strings kick in*

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

No screenshot but my Z1 managed to eke out 38889 in antutu.

steamed horse
Dec 4, 2004

The Xperia Z3 - am now on my 2nd replacement and considering requesting a 3rd. First phone had dead pixel, the second's magnetic port started failing, as has its replacement. Seriously worrying about Sony's build quality and whether I'm setting myself up for disappointment by exchanging again.

When in a charging cradle I have to tilt the phone forward to get it to charge and when using a small clip on magnetic charger on the end of the micro-usb I have to do similar, and can only sometimes get it to stay charging if I leave it just so on a flat surface.

Not to mention a problem with 3g signal refusing to reconnect if I've gone somewhere without signal and then back somewhere with signal, though I'm hoping this was a software issue that I've now fixed by repairing the phone software.

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude

gramlock posted:

The Xperia Z3 - am now on my 2nd replacement and considering requesting a 3rd. First phone had dead pixel, the second's magnetic port started failing, as has its replacement. Seriously worrying about Sony's build quality and whether I'm setting myself up for disappointment by exchanging again.

When in a charging cradle I have to tilt the phone forward to get it to charge and when using a small clip on magnetic charger on the end of the micro-usb I have to do similar, and can only sometimes get it to stay charging if I leave it just so on a flat surface.

Not to mention a problem with 3g signal refusing to reconnect if I've gone somewhere without signal and then back somewhere with signal, though I'm hoping this was a software issue that I've now fixed by repairing the phone software.

Is this in the US? I haven't had the signal problems with the T-mobile Z3, nor the magnetic charging going bad. How does the charging screwing up start?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

My mums Xperia P (temporarily as it turns out) died on Christmas day so it got replaced with the current 5" Moto G. So far so good - she loves how much faster and how much better the screen is.

The question is is the Android 5 update going to ruin everything? It hasn't popped up yet and I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to just stick with 4.4.4 anyway

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Kidney Stone posted:

Day old Droid Turbo: 50826

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kytrarewn posted:

Day old Droid Turbo: 50826

One day and you've got two moons, a virus scanner, and a battery meter? Four more persistent notifications and you'll level up!

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Why? Why so many notification icons?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
M8 GPE on 5.0.1

Seems alright.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
No ss cause I can't atm.

Antutu: 52888

e: Nexus 6

steamed horse
Dec 4, 2004

Ragaduffin posted:

Is this in the US? I haven't had the signal problems with the T-mobile Z3, nor the magnetic charging going bad. How does the charging screwing up start?

No, the UK. I have an official charging dock which started out fine, then it just suddenly stopped connecting unless I tilted the phone forwards and held it there, literally one day it worked then the next it didn't. Likewise a 3rd party magnetic clip started being difficult to position properly to keep it connected. Bear in mind my partners x3 works correctly so I know it's not the accessories.

I'm hoping that doing a software repair on the phone has sorted the signal issue, if it has I'm going to have to decide whether to limp along with this phone, replace it or get a refund from amazon and go back to Apple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Oh hey are we having a benchmark circlejerk?