Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Luchadork posted:

1) Buy the Diztronic case, the official cases are nice but not worth $35.
2) I would actually prefer Ambient Display to Moto EXCEPT that Ambient doesn't "breathe" nearly long enough (it only lights up 2-3 times on a notification) and since the Nexuses don't have infrared sensors on them, you have to actually pick up the phone to make the display illuminate. Overall, though, it's fine.

Yeah, I know I'm going to wave my hand over the 6P a whole buncha times before it clicks that that doesn't work anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

XIII posted:

Yeah, I know I'm going to wave my hand over the 6P a whole buncha times before it clicks that that doesn't work anymore.

This is going to be me when I get a Nexus. Although that's probably going to be after the next model comes out, so maybe there will be infrared sensors to recognize the hand-wavey stuff (probably not).

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Just install gravity screen and have it use the proximity sensor, it'll turn on when you wave or when you take out of your pocket

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

XIII posted:

Just bought a 6P to replace my aging (but still pleasantly capable) Droid Turbo. How does the Ambient Display feature stack up against Moto's Active Display? Also, is the official Google case worth the $35? It looks really nice, but I don't tend to use a case 99% of the time. I've always bought a $10 Diztronic case to have on hand for certain activities, so I'm not sure if I want to drop over 3x the cost on one.

Ambient Display was effectively broken on both the Nexus 6 and 5X when I tried it on each. When I reached for the phone in the middle of the night to check the time, it would only illuminate 1/3rd of the time. In contrast, it would turn itself on every few seconds if I had the phone in my hand.

I would much prefer a double-tap screen to wake gesture. It takes less effort in most cases and is much less likely to trigger false positives. I also don't know why Google decided not to provide separate options to activate Ambient Display based on notifications versus sensor activity. M I N I M A L I S M, I guess.

If you don't want to pay $35 and are really patient (and/or have another case in the mean time), you could slow-boat the official case from China for $10:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262473547523

Blue Train posted:

Just install gravity screen and have it use the proximity sensor, it'll turn on when you wave or when you take out of your pocket

Ok, definitely trying this when my replacement 5X arrives.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

XIII posted:

Day 1 going from Moto to a 6P here, and yes it is a hard habit to break.

My coworkers probably think I'm a very weird guy, waving politely at my phone, trying to get it to notice me.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Argyle posted:

Day 1 going from Moto to a 6P here, and yes it is a hard habit to break.

My coworkers probably think I'm a very weird guy, waving politely at my phone, trying to get it to notice me.

Haha, I sometimes wonder what people think when I wave my hand over my phone in a bar/restaurant to check the time or whatever. Yeah, I'm doing it for a reason, but they don't know that.

(no one cares, but it still feels silly sometimes)

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
These aren't the Droids you're looking for.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Zorilla posted:

I've been using a new Nexus 5X for the past couple of days, and I've noticed a couple issues already:
  • The display backlight isn't quite uniform. It's a tiny bit darker on the right than on the left, and it's the most pronounced on the bottom right quadrant.
  • The earpiece buzzes at comfortable listening volumes (and above).
I'm already going to try to get it exchanged for the earpiece buzzing, but how common are screen uniformity issues on these?

I'm on my second Nexus 5X that has earpiece buzzing issues. The first one I got had a really orange-colored screen, and the earpiece was super buzzy. I don't remember if it was buzzy right out of the box, but within like 3 days I realized it was really bad, buzzing in calls even on the lowest volume setting. The replacement phone I received seemed to be new in the box, but now after a week or two the earpiece started buzzing just like the first one.

I'm also still not sure if the screen on the second phone has the color temperature it's supposed to. When I did the warranty swap, I did a side-by-side comparison of both the 5X phones, as well as my old Nexus 4. All three of the phones were rather different, so I had no idea what to think. But now I guess I get to try a third phone anyway!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

These aren't the Droids you're looking for.

Too clever for your own good.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Reading all youse guys' voice recognition chat and that article about how people are embarrassed to Ok Google their phone in public I'm going to just go around saying and searching for super awkward things. Like be on the train and go "OK Google, remind me to get extra strength hemorrhoid cream at Shopper's Drug Mart" and "OK Google Schedule appointment with Canadians for Trump at 8pm". Maybe throw in an "OK Google schedule follow-up appointment at Venereal Disease Clinic next week" in the food court or something.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

I'm having a very frustrating problem involving music and my android.

I have a lovely combination of music from my time on apple products and Amazon Music. I probably have 1/3 of my stuff from Amazon in MP3 format, and the other 2/3 in a lovely WMA format. One day, my computer decided that it wanted to change everything I got from iTunes into WMA. As a result, all of these files will transfer from my computer to my phone, but none of them are displayed in either Google Play or in the default media player. My question is simple: how can I get my Samsung Galaxy Core to convert the unplayable WMAs into playable MP3s, or, what is an easy way to convert all of my music from a mishmash of WMA and MP3 into all MP3?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Protons posted:

I'm having a very frustrating problem involving music and my android.

I have a lovely combination of music from my time on apple products and Amazon Music. I probably have 1/3 of my stuff from Amazon in MP3 format, and the other 2/3 in a lovely WMA format. One day, my computer decided that it wanted to change everything I got from iTunes into WMA. As a result, all of these files will transfer from my computer to my phone, but none of them are displayed in either Google Play or in the default media player. My question is simple: how can I get my Samsung Galaxy Core to convert the unplayable WMAs into playable MP3s, or, what is an easy way to convert all of my music from a mishmash of WMA and MP3 into all MP3?

Did you try searching Google for "convert wma to mp3"? loving RealPlayer can handle that.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Won't Google music convert it when you upload it?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Don't Amazon do redownloads?

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Did you try searching Google for "convert wma to mp3"? loving RealPlayer can handle that.

It can, but it's also a piece of bloaty poo poo that requires a log-in account just to launch.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Protons posted:

It can, but it's also a piece of bloaty poo poo that requires a log-in account just to launch.

I don't think he was saying that was the best option, I think he was saying that file conversion is a solved problem.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Yea it worked fine it seems.

Well done.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

BonoMan posted:

Too clever for your own good.

Sorry, I was tired and thought I was being sharp. I'll show myself out.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Got a Pixel C. This thing owns bones.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

My phone installed an update that makes all chrome tabs stacked in one window and I can't seem to find the setting to put it back to having separate windows for separate tabs. Any way to fix this?

Also a keyboard was updated and swype sucks now and has tons of errors

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Massasoit posted:

Any way to fix this?

No. The feature was removed in the latest Chrome.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Massasoit posted:

My phone installed an update that makes all chrome tabs stacked in one window and I can't seem to find the setting to put it back to having separate windows for separate tabs. Any way to fix this?

Also a keyboard was updated and swype sucks now and has tons of errors

The Merge tabs and apps setting has been removed in Chrome version 51.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/06/08/chrome-51-on-android-brings-tabs-back/

Try clearing Swype's cache and see if that helps its accuracy.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Welp I guess I'm the only person that liked that. Thanks.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Massasoit posted:

Pro-tip: you can just swipe down from the address bar to get to the tab screen.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 9, 2016

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Massasoit posted:

I did, too. :(:hf::(

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

It was a neat idea; the ability for each app to have more than one card in the activity list makes sense theoretically. But I feel like the app/activity/Intent/back-stack/actionbar mechanics on Android are already confusing enough without another weird thing that functions in new and even-more-inconsistent ways. I've been using Android since 2.2 and I still don't understand exactly how the OS and/or actionbar are "supposed" to work in all situations.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Now if they would just remove individual searches in the overview. If I want to search a thing again I can just type/say it, really don't like revisiting every old search I've done for no good reason.

mercantilism
Oct 22, 2012
So I'm feeling the need for a conspicuous consumption purchase coming up, and I'd love some opinions.

My Nexus 6 is about a year old and the battery isn't what it used to be. while I don't have a tablet, my laptop is one of those flippable hybrid things. It's got a weird battery issue though, so it doesn't travel well and is also too heavy to lug around along with my work laptop.
Do I:

Upgrade to a 6p now and desync myself from the Nexus release cycle,

Expand into tablet land with a pixel c and split my laptop's use case as a game/media center?

Move to a cheaper city and buy both?

Also, on an aside, is there any reason the pixel c doesn't have a SIM card slot? I thought the point of a tablet was to be like a phone but bigger.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I desynced myself from the nexus release cycle just a week or so ago by buying a 6P.

Doesn't bother me for two reasons: One, I can just sell the 6P if I wanted to get the next Nexus. Two, buying devices when they first come out is for suckers!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

Two, buying devices when they first come out is for suckers!

Yeah. Never Early Adopt is kind of an article of faith for me in the same way that Only Buy Nexus is an article of faith for some in this thread. The few times I've gone against it, I've regretted it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Sorry, I was tired and thought I was being sharp. I'll show myself out.

No I thought it was actually clever. It was a compliment.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Motorola just announced the Moto Z Droid and the Moto Z Force

They also announced Moto Mods.

As much as I want off this Moto ship, it looks intriguing.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The first Project Tango device is official...the Lenovo PHAB2 Pro which will be $499 in September.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Motorola just announced the Moto Z Droid and the Moto Z Force

They also announced Moto Mods.

As much as I want off this Moto ship, it looks intriguing.

Wireless charging... but only if you get the snap on battery pack that has it. :(

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
It looks like the Force is going to Verizon only. Kind of a bummer as it's the better of the two, but the Z looks pretty good regardless. Any word on price?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Lblitzer posted:

It looks like the Force is going to Verizon only. Kind of a bummer as it's the better of the two, but the Z looks pretty good regardless. Any word on price?

I would expect the Droid to be the Verizon exclusive.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I've been using Android since 2.2 and I still don't understand exactly how the OS and/or actionbar are "supposed" to work in all situations.

However the developer likes, basically. The general idea is that the back button makes you step back the way you came, and the up arrow (in the actionbar) moves you back through the app's internal hierarchy, but a lot of apps mix and match - especially if you entered the app from another app (like opening a link that pops you into the app at a certain spot)

Add the fact that apps can specify they only want one copy open at a time and yeah, it can get a bit of a mess, especially if you start task switching in the middle of it

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

baka kaba posted:

However the developer likes, basically. The general idea is that the back button makes you step back the way you came, and the up arrow (in the actionbar) moves you back through the app's internal hierarchy, but a lot of apps mix and match - especially if you entered the app from another app (like opening a link that pops you into the app at a certain spot)

Add the fact that apps can specify they only want one copy open at a time and yeah, it can get a bit of a mess, especially if you start task switching in the middle of it

Yuup. And gently caress you YouTube for screwing this up. Every time I accidentally click on a Youtube link, the "BACK" button doesn't go back to the app I was in, but instead back to the YouTube main page. gently caress that, I DIDNT WANT TO WATCH A VIDEO.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

FunOne posted:

Yuup. And gently caress you YouTube for screwing this up. Every time I accidentally click on a Youtube link, the "BACK" button doesn't go back to the app I was in, but instead back to the YouTube main page. gently caress that, I DIDNT WANT TO WATCH A VIDEO.

I hate when YouTube does this following an external link, but love when it does this when I'm just dicking around in YouTube watching lots of videos. It's a blessing and a curse. It's even worse when you have YouTube Red and if you hit back enough times to exit the app, the video keeps playing in the background!

Though I get royally pissed off when I'm watching a video and accidentally tap on another one while scrolling around the app. There is no good way to get back to the video you were watching other than finding your way to the "history" section and playing it from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I've had a glass screen protector installed twice on my new S7, and both have the Halo Effect (wherein the edges don't stick). Both times the dude said that's because the S7's screen is slightly curved (just not as much as the S7E) so that's bound to happen with the brand of protector (Zagg).

Were the guys bullshitting me? Cuz I can't see any curve..