Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

On PC I use Opera and it's built in ad blocking outside of my home network with its own adblocking on the router.

On my phone, Ghosterly is a good Chrome replacement that works nearly the same, but has built in ad blocking that works really well. Brave is getting better as well and is also very Chrome-like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
What kind of ads are you guys getting? Like those intrusive ones that pop up when you scroll down on a website? Or literally popups like the old days?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

cage-free egghead posted:

What kind of ads are you guys getting? Like those intrusive ones that pop up when you scroll down on a website? Or literally popups like the old days?

You can get those scroll ones as well as various autoplay video ones and the lovely webpage hijack that turns the page scary red with words about how your phone is infected, a popup when you try to go back, and an auto popup of the play store to some suspicious app (which happens on some other sites as well doing just this which is irritating as hell).

Ghosterly for me seems to block all of that which is good.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So my Nexus 6p turned off randomly today and has been stuck in a boot loop. Restoring it to factory settings did not do a thing. Do I need to replace the device?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Fat_Cow posted:

So my Nexus 6p turned off randomly today and has been stuck in a boot loop. Restoring it to factory settings did not do a thing. Do I need to replace the device?

No, the boot loop is a feature.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

Words With Friends, which last time I checked was asking $10 to remove ads, and Griddlers Plus are the two most noticeable. I should get around to paying to remove ads from Griddlers Plus, I've just been lazy mostly.

:laffo: Griddlers Plus is $14.99 to remove ads. gently caress that!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Don't get terrible apps and then you don't have to see ads.

It's not a problem for me so much but my girlfriend has a support group forum app that sends pop ups requiring her to close the app to bypass them. That's the only reason I started looking into it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

EdEddnEddy posted:

My Mom's did this as well. Check that your Location is in the right spot on the map and not just your address as that can be off by a good margin depending on your location. Once I set it via GPS vs Address, it works fine on hers now.

I don't get what you mean. I don't seem to be able to remove a trusted location, so when I try to add another via GPS it just tells me my location [home address] is already trusted.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

hooah posted:

I don't get what you mean. I don't seem to be able to remove a trusted location, so when I try to add another via GPS it just tells me my location [home address] is already trusted.

Under your trusted locations, you should be able to tap the location and click edit. Then click on the map, you can then drag around the circle to make sure it's where you want it.

Mom's was off about 500ft which kept it from working at all at home.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I picked up a new phone over the weekend. I decided to treat myself and spend big money on a flagship. So I grabbed a brand new Pixel XL Huawei Mate 9.

Pros:
I absolutely love having a big screen phone again. Huawei did an amazing job of stuffing a 5.9 inch screen into a 5.5inch body.
It feels really nice in hand, and heavy. Not annoyingly heavy, but expensive heavy.
The camera takes really nice photos, and the stock camera app offers a good array of manual controls (up to 30 second exposures).
The bottom firing speaker in combination with the front earpiece yields good audio; maybe not as good as my old HTC M7, N6, or Moto XPE, but still really good.
1080 res screen is fine and not a problem at all since I don't care about VR.
There are some neat settings in EMUI, like built in color-temp calibrations and navigation key customizations.
The fingerprint scanner is ridiculously fast. It's instantaneous.

Cons:
EMUI is still kind of poo poo. Supposedly it's much improved over previous iterations but it has a handful of really stupid annoyances.
The settings menu is kind of ugly, but it is functional.
Playback controls for Google Play music DO NOT show up on the lock screen like every other loving phone I've had.
The battery usage page is hideously complex and ugly.
And the pull down quick settings menu is themed like OG Ice Cream Sandwich with bright electric blue toggles (but at least you can remove all the unwanted toggles).
I miss the poo poo out of Motorola's active display. For years they've perfected the process of displaying the time and notifications on screen after the user simply picks up the phone or pulls it out of their pocket. With the Huawei, I actually have to hit the power button or unlock it with the fingerprint scanner. It does have a notification LED which is something I have to get used to looked for again.

Hardware wise; the Kirin 960 seems to be quite quick. It installs apps and loads webpages with high-end phone quickness. But the thing that gets me the most is the battery life (it's a 4000mah job). I've been off the charger for 18 hours now, I'm at 7 hours of SOT, and still have 33% left in the battery. I don't think I'll ever have battery anxiety or have to worry about charging in my car between work and going out ever again. Oh yeah, it has some stupid proprietary charging standard as if this usb type-c poo poo weren't confusing enough.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Feb 14, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is the blue version limited edition or something? That thing looks bitchin' but no one seems to stock it.

It's limited, and Play Store only up until now as far as I'm aware but Rogers is going to start carrying them. It is really pretty, by the way. I get compliments on it often.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
One Plus One equals luuuuv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsKQIInXD7k

so much ram

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I consider social status not how much your net worth is but how much RAM is in your phone.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Can anyone recommend a good app for locking volume? I prefer to have my S7 on vibrate only most of the time, but the volume keys are really sensitive so I'm constantly activating noises by accident. I've tried a few off the Play store and they don't seem to work, either they have no effect or I'm not understand their terrible UIs.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mental Hospitality posted:

I picked up a new phone over the weekend. I decided to treat myself and spend big money on a flagship. So I grabbed a brand new Pixel XL Huawei Mate 9.

Pros:
I absolutely love having a big screen phone again. Huawei did an amazing job of stuffing a 5.9 inch screen into a 5.5inch body.
It feels really nice in hand, and heavy. Not annoyingly heavy, but expensive heavy.
The camera takes really nice photos, and the stock camera app offers a good array of manual controls (up to 30 second exposures).
The bottom firing speaker in combination with the front earpiece yields good audio; maybe not as good as my old HTC M7, N6, or Moto XPE, but still really good.
1080 res screen is fine and not a problem at all since I don't care about VR.
There are some neat settings in EMUI, like built in color-temp calibrations and navigation key customizations.
The fingerprint scanner is ridiculously fast. It's instantaneous.

Cons:
EMUI is still kind of poo poo. Supposedly it's much improved over previous iterations but it has a handful of really stupid annoyances.
The settings menu is kind of ugly, but it is functional.
Playback controls for Google Play music DO NOT show up on the lock screen like every other loving phone I've had.
The battery usage page is hideously complex and ugly.
And the pull down quick settings menu is themed like OG Ice Cream Sandwich with bright electric blue toggles (but at least you can remove all the unwanted toggles).
I miss the poo poo out of Motorola's active display. For years they've perfected the process of displaying the time and notifications on screen after the user simply picks up the phone or pulls it out of their pocket. With the Huawei, I actually have to hit the power button or unlock it with the fingerprint scanner. It does have a notification LED which is something I have to get used to looked for again.

Hardware wise; the Kirin 960 seems to be quite quick. It installs apps and loads webpages with high-end phone quickness. But the thing that gets me the most is the battery life (it's a 4000mah job). I've been off the charger for 18 hours now, I'm at 7 hours of SOT, and still have 33% left in the battery. I don't think I'll ever have battery anxiety or have to worry about charging in my car between work and going out ever again. Oh yeah, it has some stupid proprietary charging standard as if this usb type-c poo poo weren't confusing enough.

Could you post some photos (indoor/outdoor/whatever)?
Really liking the value for money Huawei seems to be providing this last year, and I like the idea of a big fuckoff screen in a phone the size of a 7 Plus.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Have any of you guys had an issue where every time your phone connects to a bluetooth speaker Play Music automatically fires up? My Nexus 5X started doing this after the last security update and I can't figure out how to make it stop. I never us Play Music and the only album on there is Steel Panther. I don't mind it so much, but I'm kind of dreading having a passenger in the car and then out of nowhere Asian Hooker starts blaring as soon as my phone connects.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Constantly, it's a PITA. I've done everything. Clear queue, reset app, everything. Play music fires up with a random playlist of my whole library.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Mine without fail starts up BeyondPod even if I haven't used it for a while.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Thanks for your help earlier in the thread everyone - I ordered the normal Pixel today. It should be here by Thursday!

That Netguard app looks particularly interesting. Is there anything specific I have to do to get it set up properly? This will be the first Android phone I've used that isn't rooted. I'm nervous about this! It seems like Netguard might get rid of a lot of ads though, which is nice.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I use Adguard myself.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Netguard looks great, I've been looking for an app that will bar apps from connecting to LTE but not wlan. I hope it works!

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I'm kind of unclear how Netguard works, even after reading their FAQ.

Can I use Netguard to prevent an app like Endomondo from connecting to the internet? And then will that prevent it from shooting me ads? Or do I use Adaway or Adfree to do that? Stupid Endomondo and your ads. I paid for pro and you clutter up the UI with your poo poo.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Vasler posted:

I'm kind of unclear how Netguard works, even after reading their FAQ.

Can I use Netguard to prevent an app like Endomondo from connecting to the internet? And then will that prevent it from shooting me ads? Or do I use Adaway or Adfree to do that? Stupid Endomondo and your ads. I paid for pro and you clutter up the UI with your poo poo.

I kinda went over setup in my last post. I don't really have apps with ads in them (got of them if they did) but yeah might help.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The Duggler posted:

Netguard looks great, I've been looking for an app that will bar apps from connecting to LTE but not wlan. I hope it works!

Oneplus 3 has an option to allow specific apps use only wifi or mobile data. No idea if it works though. Maybe it is a standard part of android?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The Duggler posted:

I do exactly this.

Vasler posted:

You can use NetGuard to prevent it having Internet access, or you can allow it to have Internet access and just block ads.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Can someone in here please write a 20-page review for the phone they bought? You know, justifying why you spent 800 bucks on a phone that might be a marginal upgrade from the phone you got 8 months ago? Perhaps a little bit about the apps that you can put on them, and why the other phones are not up to par with yours?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

BrienneGetsHanged posted:

Can someone in here please write a 20-page review for the phone they bought? You know, justifying why you spent 800 bucks on a phone that might be a marginal upgrade from the phone you got 8 months ago? Perhaps a little bit about the apps that you can put on them, and why the other phones are not up to par with yours?

no

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Obama chuckled. "You mean the Chaos Emeralds?"

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I have a Sony Z3 Compact on Marshmallow and I've made a mistake. I've been using Smart Unlock for years to unlock the screen when connected to a trusted WiFi. It worked very well, although lately it would sometimes fail to lock when leaving the house until I had turned on and off the screen.

So I was a bit annoyed with that and missing updates, uninstalled and thought I'd try a few of the many alternatives. Turns out, these apps are no longer supported after Lollipop. Somehow Smart Unlock had survived two OS updates and was working pretty well all things considered.

But now I can't reinstall it nor any alternative. There is a "smart unlock" included in the OS now, but of course it's no good compared to the 3rd party apps. It has no option for WiFi, only location - which is not very reliable indoors and means if I take the phone with me just outside, "location" thinks I'm still at home (with better coverage) whereas WiFi would've lost connection and locked it.

The built in one also unlocks to the stupid "swipe to unlock" screen instead of an actually unlocked one.

So, with apologies for a tedious rant, what are my non-root options? Are there any apps that can unlock on WiFi on Marshmallow? Should I try getting the apk and install manually?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Doesn't marshmallow have "trusted places" built in to do location based unlocking?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I will say that as a relatively pleased Axon 7 user who's had the phone since December, I spent $330 and can't really complain about much (few things aside). It basically works pretty well. That said, probably due to all the advancing software, I can't say it feels that much better than my Nexus 5 (previous phone) did when I first started using it. I bought it because my prior phone had completely died.

Is there anything technology-wise coming up in the smartphone pipeline that will significantly advance the end-user experience beyond what we already have? More specifically, things beyond faster processors, better battery life, etc.

iamsosmrt fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 15, 2017

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

Doesn't marshmallow have "trusted places" built in to do location based unlocking?

It does. As I said, it doesn't work nearly well enough as the app. The unlocked screen is a "swipe to unlock" screen instead of press button, instant screen. Also, location is fuzzy enough that if I have my phone just outside my house, where we might sit on a nice summer day, the location thinks I am at home up on the 3rd floor whereas the WiFi will lose coverage and thus lock the phone in the same spot.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

I can't remember when they were all implemented but there's Trusted Voice, Devices, Places, and Face, as well as on-body detection. The only one I'd call anywhere close to reliable or secure is Trusted Devices and that's not great (like what if the same person who stole my phone stole my watch?). Trusted Places in my experience sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, it certainly isn't as reliable as it would be if it went off wifi network but it doesn't.

When I had a phone without a fingerprint sensor, I used a trusted place at first then once I bought a Wear device, I used that. Neither was in any way a substitute for having a fingerprint sensor though.

Ola posted:

It does. As I said, it doesn't work nearly well enough as the app. The unlocked screen is a "swipe to unlock" screen instead of press button, instant screen. Also, location is fuzzy enough that if I have my phone just outside my house, where we might sit on a nice summer day, the location thinks I am at home up on the 3rd floor whereas the WiFi will lose coverage and thus lock the phone in the same spot.

I can't imagine wanting to bypass the "swipe to unlock" screen unless you just really, really like having dumb poo poo happen while the phone is in your pocket. There's simply no way to get around that as far as I'm aware.

iamsosmrt posted:

Is there anything technology-wise coming up in the smartphone pipeline that will significantly advance the end-user experience beyond what we already have? More specifically, things beyond faster processors, better battery life, etc.

I wouldn't call it technology-dependent but the Pixel being so much smoother than every other Android every is the most significant advance to the user experience in the history of Android. I guess for people unwilling to buy a Pixel, the answer to your question is an unequivocal "no".

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 15, 2017

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

LastInLine posted:

I can't imagine wanting to bypass the "swipe to unlock" screen unless you just really, really like having dumb poo poo happen while the phone is in your pocket. There's simply no way to get around that as far as I'm aware.

I've been using straight to unlocked for many years, up until one hour ago, so it is possible. And dumb poo poo never happens with it in my pocket, only when I deliberately use it to post on the internet. Besides, the swipe to unlock doesn't prevent this anyway, since you might swipe accidentally as well. It just makes it a teeny bit more of a hassle to use at home, instead of no hassle at all.

And I agree with you trusted device is not very good. I might be carrying my trusted bluetooth device while travelling through untrustworthy locations, but I never carry my drat WiFi router anywhere.

I found the apk to Smart Unlock on uptodown.com, but didn't dare install it. Seems a bit like a malware honeypot. Emailed to developer instead. Hope a manual install can bring it back.

Google could implement WiFi unlock in a heartbeat if they wanted to but I am guessing they take every opportunity to make it annoying to switch off location service :tinfoil:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ola posted:

I've been using straight to unlocked for many years, up until one hour ago, so it is possible. And dumb poo poo never happens with it in my pocket, only when I deliberately use it to post on the internet. Besides, the swipe to unlock doesn't prevent this anyway, since you might swipe accidentally as well. It just makes it a teeny bit more of a hassle to use at home, instead of no hassle at all.

And I agree with you trusted device is not very good. I might be carrying my trusted bluetooth device while travelling through untrustworthy locations, but I never carry my drat WiFi router anywhere.

I found the apk to Smart Unlock on uptodown.com, but didn't dare install it. Seems a bit like a malware honeypot. Emailed to developer instead. Hope a manual install can bring it back.

Google could implement WiFi unlock in a heartbeat if they wanted to but I am guessing they take every opportunity to make it annoying to switch off location service :tinfoil:

To be fair to Google, turning off location services is dumb and fingerprint sensors have made your use case irrelevant and even if they did implement it, it would work exactly like it's supposed to--with the power button bringing up the "swipe to unlock" screen.

Your best option, apart from just accepting the world as it is, is to have someone with a compatible device install the app from the Play Store then pull the apk for you.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

LastInLine posted:

I can't remember when they were all implemented but there's Trusted Voice, Devices, Places, and Face, as well as on-body detection. The only one I'd call anywhere close to reliable or secure is Trusted Devices and that's not great (like what if the same person who stole my phone stole my watch?).

At least with android wear 2.0, it's supposed to use the heart-rate sensor along with the acceleromator to check to see if it's on your wrist and will lock the phone (and itself if given a pattern) if taken off.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

At least with android wear 2.0, it's supposed to use the heart-rate sensor along with the acceleromator to check to see if it's on your wrist and will lock the phone (and itself if given a pattern) if taken off.

Doesn't help if they put the watch on. The HR sensor only checks every couple minutes and the accelerometer won't be much help if it's on a person. They can try all they want but in the end it's a weak workaround for not having a fingerprint sensor and it always has been, all of the Trusted things are. I get why they implemented them but they just don't work well and either fail to work when they say they will or worse, pretty much permanently unlock the phone.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Before I got my Pixel, I never had a problem with the on-body detection.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So my gmail icon vanished from my home screen. Gmail itself works fine as I still get notifications and messages. If I go through the Play store, it says Gmail is installed and I can open it from there.

I tired reinstalling, but still no home screen icon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So my gmail icon vanished from my home screen. Gmail itself works fine as I still get notifications and messages. If I go through the Play store, it says Gmail is installed and I can open it from there.

I tired reinstalling, but still no home screen icon.

Can't you just drag and drop it onto the home screen again?

E: wait do you mean app drawer not home screen?