Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

nimper posted:

Oh hey are we having a benchmark circlejerk?

What is that phone and why doesn't your list have any of the top phones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dengraz
Sep 8, 2003
[empty]

Reverse Centaur posted:

What is that phone and why doesn't your list have any of the top phones?

That's a Moto X (2014) Pure. No idea on the second question.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Dengraz posted:

That's a Moto X (2014) Pure. No idea on the second question.

The phones above it on the result page are the Meizu MX4, note 4, and... oneplus one???

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
So the thread consensus is basically, if it comes down to a straight choice between the oneplus one and the nexus 5, I'd be a tit to choose anything other than the nexus, right?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Pork Pie Hat posted:

So the thread consensus is basically, if it comes down to a straight choice between the oneplus one and the nexus 5, I'd be a tit to choose anything other than the nexus, right?
Hey you only live once and it's just a telephone. The Nexus is the safe bet but some people are risk-takers.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I might even say that for the Nexus 4. OnePlus and Cyanogen Inc. deserve each other.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

LastInLine posted:

One day and you've got two moons, a virus scanner, and a battery meter? Four more persistent notifications and you'll level up!

To be fair to myself, which I for one think is very important: One of the moons (which aren't persistent really, just when I should be in bed anyway) came from the battery meter, and the other showed up on the phone by default as per Moto. When i set up sleep mode, I hadn't realized that the phone had one built-in. I haven't messed with the virus scan, but it showed up stock (remember, we're talking about Verizon Wireless here).

And the battery meter is great since it fits right in with the gimmick of the phone- being able to actually watch how quickly the thing is charging/discharging in terms of an estimate of actual time.

On the other hand, I'd love to know how to get that NFC notification to disappear.

EDIT: It's not a virus-scan, it's a motorola remote find/lock/wipe thing, apparently.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 28, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

A stock Droid Turbo does not come with a virus scanner installed on it.

Edit: Unless it's that Verizon support and protect app. I wouldn't know, I disabled it with 2 minutes of booting the phone for the first time.

Never had an NFC icon outside of the initial android setup telling me that NFC was a thing the phone had.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 28, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kytrarewn posted:

On the other hand, I'd love to know how to get that NFC notification to disappear.
Since it's on the left side of the notification panel, it must be generating a notification. Find that, long press it, press the App Info button that spawned and it will tell you which application is creating it.

You can then go into the app to see if there's a way to disable the notification or, from the app page, there is a way to disable all notifications from that app.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

nimper posted:

The phones above it on the result page are the Meizu MX4, note 4, and... oneplus one???

Last page.

I dunno why the N6 is missing completely (edit: or every moto phone for that matter??) but the two goons who just tried it had similar top scores.

second edit: I just noticed my phone came with a free copy of Gravity with Clooney/Bullock. I hadn't seen it yet and assumed that was for US only. Noice.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 28, 2014

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah it shows up for everyone in play movies eventually I think

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm at my in-laws', and tried to set their place as a trusted location on my N4, but the pin is always ~500 feet off. I opened Maps up, and same thing (submitted feedback there). I tried setting the location where the pin thinks I am, but that didn't work. Any ideas?

Edit: Yeah, I don't get Gravity. I got that Shaun Sheep offer, and somehow got Transformers 3 in my library. Ugh.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

baka kaba posted:

Yeah it shows up for everyone in play movies eventually I think

At the moment, I've got Shaun the Sheep for free...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Kidney Stone posted:

At the moment, I've got Shaun the Sheep for free...

Yeah I got that a while back when they first started giving away Gravity, just in case it was blocking the offer. Even when I said I didn't want it it kept coming back, so I figured I needed to bite the bullet on this one

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

baka kaba posted:

Yeah I got that a while back when they first started giving away Gravity, just in case it was blocking the offer. Even when I said I didn't want it it kept coming back, so I figured I needed to bite the bullet on this one

Oh well... Might as well watch it when I'm bored.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

This was exactly my situation except I never accepted Shaun the Sheep and they just offered Gravity the other day. I didn't like Gravity but I had just purchased The Interview and I didn't want my one and only purchase to look lonely so I accepted it.

hooah posted:

I'm at my in-laws', and tried to set their place as a trusted location on my N4, but the pin is always ~500 feet off. I opened Maps up, and same thing (submitted feedback there). I tried setting the location where the pin thinks I am, but that didn't work. Any ideas?
I had a similar scenario trying to set my parents' place in my N5. The pin was in the correct place but it wouldn't let me set it as a location without "finding" anything at the typed-in address. I tried again later in the day and it just worked.

The location being so far off on the N4 is incidentally why my wife retired it early and used a Moto G while she waited for the N6 to be available. It never did get an accurate GPS lock.

What I'd tell you to do is use a GPS app like this to ensure you have an accurate GPS lock at your position and make sure you're connected to your in-laws' wifi network. You do have wifi scanning enabled and fine location data turned on, correct?

---------------

I just figured out that you won't get heads-up notifications in Hangouts if you have vibration unchecked. What the gently caress is that about?

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 29, 2014

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

What I'd tell you to do is use a GPS app like this to ensure you have an accurate GPS lock at your position and make sure you're connected to your in-laws' wifi network. You do have wifi scanning enabled and fine location data turned on, correct?

I've been able to get a pretty good lock just fine previously, and I do have those settings enabled. That GPS app says I'm at [some degrees 1], 54.084 minutes N, [some degrees 2], 54.351 minutes W, which convert to [some degrees 1].901533 and [some degrees 2].905633. When I go to Google Maps and drop a pin at the correct location, it gives [some degrees 1].901197 and [some degrees 2].906427 as the coordinates. It looks like it's about 500 feet off, as I suspected. That's annoying.

But even so, why wouldn't setting the wrong location as the trusted location work, if that's where the phone thinks it is?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

I've been able to get a pretty good lock just fine previously, and I do have those settings enabled. That GPS app says I'm at [some degrees 1], 54.084 minutes N, [some degrees 2], 54.351 minutes W, which convert to [some degrees 1].901533 and [some degrees 2].905633. When I go to Google Maps and drop a pin at the correct location, it gives [some degrees 1].901197 and [some degrees 2].906427 as the coordinates. It looks like it's about 500 feet off, as I suspected. That's annoying.

But even so, why wouldn't setting the wrong location as the trusted location work, if that's where the phone thinks it is?
That's odd that Google Maps would report differently from the GPS app as both should be accessing the same location data. Does the GPS app report that it has a positive lock on a lot of satellites? It would never have occurred to me to compare the actual coordinates but that's weird as hell.

Like I said, I had to actually put in an address that matched where I was physically to set up a trusted location. I imagine if the location Google thinks you are doesn't match the location you say you are and doesn't match the location they think the wifi network is it just won't let you set it as trusted because it's obviously incorrect.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Trusted location/smart lock is the only thing that didn't work great out of the box on my N6. I still have to do a pattern daily despite having two trusted bluetooth devices (G Watch R and Keylink) and my home location as trusted. And the GPS shows my location perfectly, down to the correct unit of the condo.

I even turned on face recognition and I still have to do a pattern.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

LastInLine posted:

I just figured out that you won't get heads-up notifications in Hangouts if you have vibration unchecked. What the gently caress is that about?
Actually it turns out you have to have either a sound that isn't Silent or vibration. Ridiculous that I have to create a silent notification tone just to get this to work.

Reverse Centaur posted:

Trusted location/smart lock is the only thing that didn't work great out of the box on my N6. I still have to do a pattern daily despite having two trusted bluetooth devices (G Watch R and Keylink) and my home location as trusted. And the GPS shows my location perfectly, down to the correct unit of the condo.

I even turned on face recognition and I still have to do a pattern.
It works for me but I always have to pass a secure lockscreen once a day. I think that's by design.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Not sure if this is the right thread, but have you guys heard any reports on which 64gb SD cards have good reliability records? Trying to decide between a sandisk or a Samsung....

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

That's odd that Google Maps would report differently from the GPS app as both should be accessing the same location data. Does the GPS app report that it has a positive lock on a lot of satellites? It would never have occurred to me to compare the actual coordinates but that's weird as hell.

Like I said, I had to actually put in an address that matched where I was physically to set up a trusted location. I imagine if the location Google thinks you are doesn't match the location you say you are and doesn't match the location they think the wifi network is it just won't let you set it as trusted because it's obviously incorrect.

Sorry, I wasn't quite clear. I looked at Google Maps on my computer. The GPS app showed something like 5 or 7 satellites locked on. Google probably doesn't know where this wifi network is since my in-laws moved here very recently. Is there a way to tell Google about it?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Sorry, I wasn't quite clear. I looked at Google Maps on my computer. The GPS app showed something like 5 or 7 satellites locked on. Google probably doesn't know where this wifi network is since my in-laws moved here very recently. Is there a way to tell Google about it?
Presumably you're doing that for them right now by using your telephone while keeping location services on.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
So I've had my N6 for about a month and a half now and I still love it. But I have some questions for people more knowledgeable about phones than I am.

1. The camera is really slow. This makes taking pictures of pets almost impossible. Do you guys think this is a hardware or software issue? Do you think there will be a fix for it? Is anyone else having this issue?

2. The AT&T start-up sound is the loudest piece of poo poo. Is there any way to turn it off? The phone has a known issue with randomly shutting down (which I hope will be fixed soon) but until then I can't have this noise waking me up in the middle of the night or going off at work.

3. What brand of glass screen protectors are recommended?

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
You have to have rooted to get rid of the AT&T poo poo.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

So I've had my N6 for about a month and a half now and I still love it. But I have some questions for people more knowledgeable about phones than I am.

1. The camera is really slow. This makes taking pictures of pets almost impossible. Do you guys think this is a hardware or software issue? Do you think there will be a fix for it? Is anyone else having this issue?

The camera API got completely updated, with a much faster processing engine that should make the whole thing much more reactive and capable, as well as allowing for some HDR bracketing magic. But I heard about that a few months ago, as far as I know it's not in any official camera app yet. One of the third-party apps is supposed to have updated to use at least some of the stuff, I don't know if it's faster though

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Do you have HDR+ turned on? You need to disable that for action photos.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but have you guys heard any reports on which 64gb SD cards have good reliability records? Trying to decide between a sandisk or a Samsung....
They're probably both okay now, but SanDisk did have a bad batch two years ago that soured me a bit. And they sent me a replacement one that eventually failed too.

Speaking of cameras, I just switched from an S3 to a Moto G LTE. drat, is the camera on this new phone terrible. It looks almost as bad as my LG Optimus One pictures.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Rusty! posted:

You have to have rooted to get rid of the AT&T poo poo.

I've been thinking about getting a Nexus 6 though AT&T, can you just flash the image from https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images and be rid of the AT&T stuff?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RZA Encryption posted:

I've been thinking about getting a Nexus 6 though AT&T, can you just flash the image from https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images and be rid of the AT&T stuff?

I believe there's some stuff it does by detecting what network your sim card is on, but I could be wrong. Let me see if I can find that...

E: Ah, looks like the bloatware is installed upon activation with an AT&T sim in. Set it up with the sim out and that should help. The boot animation I think can only be removed if you're rooted, then you can just rename/remove the file. Flashing the factory image will not remove it. There's an OEM partition with all that nice AT&T stuff. http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6/general/remove-att-carrier-customization-thread-t2947581

Oh hey, I should have kept reading. Unlock the bootloader, then "fastboot erase oem" should get rid of all that garbage, no root necessary.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 29, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

As long as you do initial setup without the SIM in, yes. If you're rooted you can also just remove everything in the /oem partition.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Good to know! Thanks, all. I'm at least going to wait and see what the 5.0 update is like on the 2013 X, but I've been tempted by the allure of a larger screen lately. I don't know why. :-[

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

LastInLine posted:

As long as you do initial setup without the SIM in, yes. If you're rooted you can also just remove everything in the /oem partition.

Or just use the phone as the manufacturer/oem intended and stop being a sperg.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

When I tried to use this I got a message saying "Your carrier has blocked wifi in the latest phone update". Any suggestions?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Knifegrab posted:

When I tried to use this I got a message saying "Your carrier has blocked wifi in the latest phone update". Any suggestions?

Sorry, I have root on my phone. I only mention that app as my gf used it before and it worked for her on verizon non-rooted LG3.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

r0ck0 posted:

Or just use the phone as the manufacturer/oem intended and stop being a sperg.
Um, that's exactly what that does, sets the phone up as the manufacturer/oem intended.

You do understand that what they're talking about is removing the fully optional carrier modifications to the device, correct? They're literally discussing returning it to the correct manufacturer-specified behavior.

Knifegrab posted:

You could try abiding by the terms of your service and paying for it?

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Allaniis posted:

They're probably both okay now, but SanDisk did have a bad batch two years ago that soured me a bit. And they sent me a replacement one that eventually failed too.

My sandisk from a few years ago is randomly unmounting itself, so I guess I'll go Samsung, thanks for chiming in.

Anyone else having less than stellar performance on their note 4? Google maps is pretty janky, and sometimes Google keyboard lags behind key presses... I can't figure out how much of the performance lag is related to app optimization or hardware shortcomings. Is there a tool that can see the difference?

The camera app is goddamn fast though, so I suppose that is optimized. Instagram also runs nicely. :shrug:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

I'm glad that my HTC One seems to outperform other HTC Ones. :smug:

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 29, 2014

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm glad that my HTC One seems to outperform other HTC Ones. :smug:

It is the Chosen One

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
So one month after getting my Z3 Compact, here are my impressions:

1. The camera is fine unless you're a photo nerd. It takes perfectly acceptable cell phone photos and I don't carry my point and shoot camera anymore. Also the dedicated shutter button is nice.

2. The battery life isn't actually "two days" but more like 1.5 days of realistic use (watching videos, streaming music, using it as a GPS without a power cord, playing some games, browsing the forums at work, etc).

3. I used the phone in a bad rainstorm on a trip and it's fine. So yeah, I guess it is waterproof! Also, Netflix in the shower.

4. I really like being able to put it in a dress shirt pocket for when I'm using it at work for actual work reasons. Also not looking like I have a boner in my dress pants is good too. The size helps a lot.

5. It's very aesthetically close to an iPhone 5 so it's a bit more "classy" compared to the current not-iPhones

6. It actually seems to have drastically improved my ability to pick up T-Mobile data signals from within buildings.

7. I actually didn't know the screen was 720p until I looked it up. I don't think it matters on that small a screen anyway?

8. 16 GB internal storage is a little small though.

9. Availability of cases and accessories is a little slim.

10. I guess it's kind of a boringly competent phone that excels at being practical and not needing to be plugged in. Though I guess that makes it a selling point for me since I want my phones to just be usable.