Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Theris posted:

It even has the comically oversized rubber case favored by on the road a lot guys built in!

Odds they still stick it in an OtterBox?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

dissss posted:

Just curious - do you get acceptable audio out of the headphone jack? My G3 had so much hiss and electrical noise that it wasn't usable, and judging by XDA this seemed to be a fairly common hardware issue.

I remember seeing that a lot back then. I think I was lucky that mine sounds ok as long as the plug is secure. The only thing I cannot do with any of my phones is use the Headphone port and car charge at the same time.

However the headphone port quality itself was garbage on the G3 anyway compared to BT and even my EVO LTE or 6P. If you want to use headphones through that port, get a HTC 10, V20, or V10.

My G3 has a little wear and the cracks that developed on all of them around the mic holes, but other than that is still in excellent condition otherwise and might be available if anyone wants it on Sprint. (with a lot of goodies like a NIB flip case with NFC, 9100mah battery with cover+gell case, and a 4000mah battery thats the same size as the stock 3000mah one.)

Also LOL the Nexus 6 shitshow.

Really, if you have a Nexus 6 just install Pure Nexus and stop dealing with Google. It gets updated with the latest security update usually a week or two after google releases it, and fixes a lot of little bugs with it. (check the release notes)

Even if you are on a Pixel i'd recommend Pure Nexus over stock since it really is juts Stock+ after using both for months on end.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Huawei released a really good Android phone, one of their greatest yet, then didn't put an oleophobic coating on the screen.

lmao.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mental Hospitality posted:

Huawei released a really good Android phone, one of their greatest yet, then didn't put an oleophobic coating on the screen.

lmao.

What a stupid oversight.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

That is a bit dumb, makes the phone feel a lot more premium when your finger glides rather than rubs across the screen.

However.......... $3-9 fixes that and feels exactly the same soo yea.

But hey, outside of the 6P I guess I still am never going to get the chance to use any Huawei on Sprint so. :what:

:argh: CDMA! I can't wait until everything is LTE and all phones work on all networks.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Not really, those glass screen protectors all introduce horribly reflections so they're hardly a solution

That said I find the coating doesn't last very long anyway, it's certainly gone on my year old iPhone and 6P

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

They say there's no coating under the included protector so presumably it has something

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

EdEddnEddy posted:

:argh: CDMA! I can't wait until everything is LTE and all phones work on all networks.

Keep waiting.

If it's not CDMA, it will be band support or VoLTE support or something else.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

My Moto g4 works on both cdma and gsm, companies are just cheap or useless

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EdEddnEddy posted:

That is a bit dumb, makes the phone feel a lot more premium when your finger glides rather than rubs across the screen.

But hey, outside of the 6P I guess I still am never going to get the chance to use any Huawei on Sprint so. :what:

The better solution is moving to a network that's not completely trash.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

dissss posted:

Not really, those glass screen protectors all introduce horribly reflections so they're hardly a solution

That said I find the coating doesn't last very long anyway, it's certainly gone on my year old iPhone and 6P

I don't quite understand the reflections you speak of. Unless you are outside and have direct sunlight that overpowers the auto backlight of the phone, I never see reflections screen protector or not. The only thing that lets you know there is a protector on the screen is the edges for the cutouts and screen edge, and if you got a 2.5D one, those are curved and don't chip as easy and feel nice to boot.

Really since they even have lifetime warranties most of the time, when the oleophobic coating wears off, you can just get it replaced for free and have that new screen look and feel again.

As for leaving Sprint, I am tempted, but my SERO plan that isn't throttled for $50 a month, and the finally good 4G in my area makes it really hard.

Who knows too since Sprint is looking to try the T-Mobile merger again possibly.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

EdEddnEddy posted:

I don't quite understand the reflections you speak of. Unless you are outside and have direct sunlight that overpowers the auto backlight of the phone, I never see reflections screen protector or not. The only thing that lets you know there is a protector on the screen is the edges for the cutouts and screen edge, and if you got a 2.5D one, those are curved and don't chip as easy and feel nice to boot.

I couldn't disagree more - look at the same device without a screen protector next to one with one installed. It's immediately obvious even in my somewhat gloomy office - it makes a nice modern device look like an old iPad without a bonded screen.

Actually don't go looking for it because once you've noticed the difference you'll never be able to un-see it

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Blue Train posted:

They say there's no coating under the included protector so presumably it has something

My Mate 9 came with a plastic protector too, which I guess is a nice bonus for the consumer.

Speaking of the Mate 9, I think I like this phone more than any other Android device I've owned. Of my last 8 phones it's the first one that I truly don't have to worry about the battery life. I can put in an 18 hour day with over 8 hours of SOT and still have 20% left in the tank. No more car chargers, topping off with a battery bank, charging at work. It's...amazing. The big screen and camera are just icing on the cake. I don't even mind the skin anymore.

Oddly enough, I thought a headphone jack was a phone requirement for me in the past, but I haven't used it once since I got the phone. Bluetooth headphones have gotten surpringly good.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mental Hospitality posted:

My Mate 9 came with a plastic protector too, which I guess is a nice bonus for the consumer.

Speaking of the Mate 9, I think I like this phone more than any other Android device I've owned. Of my last 8 phones it's the first one that I truly don't have to worry about the battery life. I can put in an 18 hour day with over 8 hours of SOT and still have 20% left in the tank. No more car chargers, topping off with a battery bank, charging at work. It's...amazing. The big screen and camera are just icing on the cake. I don't even mind the skin anymore.

Oddly enough, I thought a headphone jack was a phone requirement for me in the past, but I haven't used it once since I got the phone. Bluetooth headphones have gotten surpringly good.

I asked you to post example pics last month from the Leica cam and you didn't do it. <:saddowns:>

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Mister Macys posted:

I asked you to post example pics last month from the Leica cam and you didn't do it. <:saddowns:>

I did maybe a week or two ago, you'll have to search the thread. I'm phone posting otherwise I could probably find it faster.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Was it a link? I must've missed it then. :sigh:

Don't worry, I can just skim your thread posts by clicking the "?" under your av.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 17, 2017

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Here's my flicker album. Hope this works.
https://flic.kr/s/aHskQ8wEgv

E: if you can't tell, I'm basically nocturnal. It takes good pictures during the daytime too.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Those low-light shots are light years ahead of my N5, even if they aren't Pixel-level.

The horizon shot above the cancer center, and the mental hospital ones especially. Plenty of cloud detail.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 17, 2017

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Those are using the long exposure night mode, a few in there are handheld shots in auto/pro mode, but for the long exposures you need a way to steady the phone. I just pressed it against the window. This may have contributed to some of the less than great focus on some.

Compared to the Pixel and S7, and probably the upcoming S8 and LG G6, it probably falls behind them when strictly shooting in auto mode, but I'm glad the software gives you plenty of options to get creative. If you're not an amateur like me you could probably do some really great things with it. The P10 plus review I linked to earlier supposedly has an improved version of the dual cam setup with brighter f1.8 lenses compared to the Mates dual f2.2 package.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 17, 2017

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

BankChat Update: was charged the price of the Pixel (again), yet still no shipping update. Google is really good at this, huh?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ShoogaSlim posted:

BankChat Update: was charged the price of the Pixel (again), yet still no shipping update. Google is really good at this, huh?

They've had like 4 years to get good at it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Mystery battery drain example. The descending curve is mostly the phone being idle at home, with a few steeper bits where I'm using it. Then I reboot it (which fixes the drain in my case) just before 1 on the x-axis, and the curve flattens out. Pretty significant difference.

Are there any logs accessible on non-rooted phones which could explain what's happening? Play services seem like the culprit but an app or some particular condition might be the root cause.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ola posted:

Mystery battery drain example. The descending curve is mostly the phone being idle at home, with a few steeper bits where I'm using it. Then I reboot it (which fixes the drain in my case) just before 1 on the x-axis, and the curve flattens out. Pretty significant difference.

Are there any logs accessible on non-rooted phones which could explain what's happening? Play services seem like the culprit but an app or some particular condition might be the root cause.

Play Services just means that some app that's asking for something that Play Services provides is running out of control.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Play Services just means that some app that's asking for something that Play Services provides is running out of control.

Exactly, so are there any logs or anything else I can use to find out which app?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

dissss posted:

I couldn't disagree more - look at the same device without a screen protector next to one with one installed. It's immediately obvious even in my somewhat gloomy office - it makes a nice modern device look like an old iPad without a bonded screen.

Actually don't go looking for it because once you've noticed the difference you'll never be able to un-see it

I'm with you. I've tried various tempered glass protectors and they all seem to cause a lot of reflections.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
My pixel has shipped! Estimated arrival is Monday. I love my moto x 2014, but the battery and charging port have been on their last legs for a while

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Ola posted:

Exactly, so are there any logs or anything else I can use to find out which app?

You could try betterbatterystats but without root I'm not sure if it will show partial wakelocks which is what you're looking for

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Blue Train posted:

You could try betterbatterystats but without root I'm not sure if it will show partial wakelocks which is what you're looking for

Thanks for the tip! It looks like it needs root, yeah, but searching around it looks like I can sniff it out with this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.uzumapps.wakelockdetector.noroot

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1r3VlhZIZVSufZlAeICJet6QBtyAF7z06_ysl1kUKME4/edit#slide=id.p

While Apple is breaking down its walled garden, it seems Google has slowly been building up theirs.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

A friend of mine saved her number into my phone and while doing so in Contacts, took a quick selfie to set as her contact pic. The pic is very dark and I want to brighten it but I can't find where it's stored on the phone, any ideas?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Wilford Cutlery posted:

A friend of mine saved her number into my phone and while doing so in Contacts, took a quick selfie to set as her contact pic. The pic is very dark and I want to brighten it but I can't find where it's stored on the phone, any ideas?

Try Photos -> Device Folders -> Camera but :google: so who knows if it even saved a full copy since it's just as likely that they built a completely separate camera function into the contacts app and it doesn't take pictures in the sense that the regular camera app does, just snaps a cropped front camera​ shot, attaches it as metadata to the contact entry, and never stores a discrete file anywhere.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Do the sensible thing and stalk her Google+ profile for a better picture.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Let me start with what I want to do:

I want to play a video over my Google Music/Spotify on my Android TV. I know Screensavers will start and allow the music to continue playing. Is there any easy way to choose a specific video file (Planet Earth II!!) to play as my screensaver? I could code something up I guess but I'd rather not.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

5436 posted:

Let me start with what I want to do:

I want to play a video over my Google Music/Spotify on my Android TV. I know Screensavers will start and allow the music to continue playing. Is there any easy way to choose a specific video file (Planet Earth II!!) to play as my screensaver? I could code something up I guess but I'd rather not.

You might be able to frankenstein something together with Kodi.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

Try Photos -> Device Folders -> Camera but :google: so who knows if it even saved a full copy since it's just as likely that they built a completely separate camera function into the contacts app and it doesn't take pictures in the sense that the regular camera app does, just snaps a cropped front camera​ shot, attaches it as metadata to the contact entry, and never stores a discrete file anywhere.

He could go to the Google contacts website view the blown up picture right click save as

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I read the blurb in the OP about USB type-c cables and chargers. The Verizon car charger appears to be sold out online and isn't packaged just by itself at Verizon stores near me. I found "OEM" type-c chargers that look the same as the Verizon charger without the sticker on it on eBay. Can a goon hold my hand and tell me if it is really the same or a fake?

Edit: http://m.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Verizon-Type-C-Car-Charger-for-LG-G5-Google-Nexus-6P-5X-Pixel-C-/252659642952?nav=SEARCH

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 17, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Honestly, I wouldn't risk it.

Buy a good quality 2.4a Apple charger with a good A-C cable and call it a day if you have a Pixel. You aren't getting peak of 3A, but it's close enough.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Thermopyle posted:

You might be able to frankenstein something together with Kodi.

I'll just write the app in my spare time :(.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I read the blurb in the OP about USB type-c cables and chargers. The Verizon car charger appears to be sold out online and isn't packaged just by itself at Verizon stores near me. I found "OEM" type-c chargers that look the same as the Verizon charger without the sticker on it on eBay. Can a goon hold my hand and tell me if it is really the same or a fake?

Edit: http://m.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Verizon-Type-C-Car-Charger-for-LG-G5-Google-Nexus-6P-5X-Pixel-C-/252659642952?nav=SEARCH
Never buy anything labeled "Genuine" or "OEM" on eBay or from third party sellers on Amazon

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I hear and obey. I won't lose sleep over not having speedy charging on the commute at the end of the day. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I use an Anker multiport thing at home with a USB-C port and it charges my Nexus 6P at 3A and hasn't burnt my house down yet.