Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mr Executive posted:

Is there a good app that will auto login to public WiFi I've signed into? I'd be willing to buy an app if it worked well since I'm on Fi and it might save me a couple dollars a month.

Yeah it's called Android.

Like Android does this by default on my Pixel XL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Are you the President or some other edge case security issue? If not fingerprint is fine.

Everybody knows that the President uses a Galaxy S3, so no fingerprint reader (and no security updates in years).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think the intent is for something that will auto click through a captive portal which the pixel will not do.

The Pixel/Nexus devices will auto connect to open wifi networks and use a Google VPN to secure the connection. They have to be fully open though. No click through, no registration.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Everybody knows that the President uses a Galaxy S3, so no fingerprint reader (and no security updates in years).

He has switched to an iPhone within the past few weeks, actually.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Blue Train posted:

In most phones flashing a factory image doesn't trip the thing, but Samsung so who knows

The knox thing has a flash counter. 1 or more = voided warranty afaik.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

bull3964 posted:

I think the intent is for something that will auto click through a captive portal which the pixel will not do.

The Pixel/Nexus devices will auto connect to open wifi networks and use a Google VPN to secure the connection. They have to be fully open though. No click through, no registration.

The one features that is kinda neat on Windows Phone. It will auto connect and if it is just a click I agree/checkbox and agree. It logs right in.

Security and privacy be damned!

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Wrist Watch posted:

My MXP finally got an update!

...bringing it to 6.0's December security patch.

Still more than I was expecting, I thought they had abandoned this thing.

It was supposed to get nougat early this year, but it was pushed back to may.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Mr Executive posted:

Is there a good app that will auto login to public WiFi I've signed into? I'd be willing to buy an app if it worked well since I'm on Fi and it might save me a couple dollars a month.

I haven't tried it but this has 4.6 stars: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.androidyou.wifiloginnew

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

syscall girl posted:

The knox thing has a flash counter. 1 or more = voided warranty afaik.
Flashing a factory image won't trip knox though

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

datajosh posted:

Flashing a factory image won't trip knox though

Oh, good to know. I want to flash nougat to my sarnsung if only for the battery life stuff.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
I'm going to be traveling more in the near future and am looking for an external battery pack to use with my pixel on long flights. I've looked over Benson's page but he seems to just review wall chargers and cables. Is there a recommended USB C battery pack?

Edit: Nevermind I didnt realize he had them under the chargers tab

Grundma fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 23, 2017

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

dont skimp on the shrimp posted:

It was supposed to get nougat early this year, but it was pushed back to may.

Where was this announced? I'm not doubting you or anything, just wondering so I can keep up with it myself in the future.

Or is it just via the usual Android blogs?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Wrist Watch posted:

Where was this announced? I'm not doubting you or anything, just wondering so I can keep up with it myself in the future.

Or is it just via the usual Android blogs?

It was the German Moto Twitter account:
https://mobile.twitter.com/Moto_GER/status/826802898512314368

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Is there any chance of security updates, at least, being mandated by the united world government or the Rothschild or something? Until a few weeks ago, a friend's Moto G3's latest update was from January 2016. An unlocked handset too. I know at the high end we have Pixel now but surely this security fiasco can't be allowed to continue?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is there any chance of security updates, at least, being mandated by the united world government or the Rothschild or something? Until a few weeks ago, a friend's Moto G3's latest update was from January 2016. An unlocked handset too. I know at the high end we have Pixel now but surely this security fiasco can't be allowed to continue?

Why can't it?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

A year behind on patches for a consumer phone pales in comparison to the state of critical infrastructure or IS in your local hospital.

So, that tells you all you need to know about where the bar is.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Monthly security updates weren't even a thing (on Android, anyway) until what, a year ago? Year and a half?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

For most phones, especially non flagship phones, you'll probably need to flash a ROM to get the latest security updates

Carriers and manufacturers don't give a poo poo

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Anyone know when the Moto G5+ is due out in the USA and what the price will be? Trouble finding definitive answers via google.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Anyone know when the Moto G5+ is due out in the USA and what the price will be? Trouble finding definitive answers via google.

I've had a really hard time finding a good source, but I've seen hearsay that it's March 29. Wish I had more info, I'm looking to grab one near release too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm pretty sure the price was announced as $229.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Is there a 4GB version? I remember there being ambiguity at some point.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Endless Mike posted:

He has switched to an iPhone within the past few weeks, actually.

he's had both for a long time, during the campaign you could usually tell if it was trump or a staffer sending a tweet from if it was sent from android or iphone

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
European goon here, thinking about buying either the G5 or G5+. They both have 3 GBs of ram here and are priced at 200€ and 300€. The cheaper phone is much closer to my budget. I'm coming from a 3rd gen Moto E so either should be a huge improvement.

Are the faster chipset and more internal storage (32 GB vs. 16 GB) worth the 100 euros more for the G5+? I'd maybe even prefer the smaller screen and can live with the worse camera. I don't think the G5+ has NFC in Europe. Otherwise I'm not seeing much of a difference between the phones.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Havana Affair posted:

European goon here, thinking about buying either the G5 or G5+. They both have 3 GBs of ram here and are priced at 200€ and 300€. The cheaper phone is much closer to my budget. I'm coming from a 3rd gen Moto E so either should be a huge improvement.

Are the faster chipset and more internal storage (32 GB vs. 16 GB) worth the 100 euros more for the G5+? I'd maybe even prefer the smaller screen and can live with the worse camera. I don't think the G5+ has NFC in Europe. Otherwise I'm not seeing much of a difference between the phones.

It depends entirely on how many apps you want on your phone. I'd never come close to filling 16GB (more like 8GB after the OS takes its share) but I'm not typical. On the other hand you've been living with a Moto E so maybe you aren't typical either.

I'd still get the 32GB version if I were you.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

LastInLine posted:

Is there a 4GB version? I remember there being ambiguity at some point.

the site lists 2GB\4GB versions but no idea if released at the same time or what.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

LastInLine posted:

It depends entirely on how many apps you want on your phone. I'd never come close to filling 16GB (more like 8GB after the OS takes its share) but I'm not typical. On the other hand you've been living with a Moto E so maybe you aren't typical either.

I'd still get the 32GB version if I were you.

Thanks for the reply. I've been somehow managing with the storage on E (8 GB internal), but it's helped by the fact it can't even run that resource intensive apps anyway. I can see that with a more powerful phone I'd maybe use it for more things than now so the storage could become an issue.

Any ideas about the difference between the chipsets? The E can barely handle anything I use it for now so I think the G5 is plenty powerful for that kind of use. Or is this totally secondary to storage and more of a quality of life thing? I don't really see myself gaming on the phone which I'd imagine would most benefit from more power.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Havana Affair posted:

Thanks for the reply. I've been somehow managing with the storage on E (8 GB internal), but it's helped by the fact it can't even run that resource intensive apps anyway. I can see that with a more powerful phone I'd maybe use it for more things than now so the storage could become an issue.

Any ideas about the difference between the chipsets? The E can barely handle anything I use it for now so I think the G5 is plenty powerful for that kind of use. Or is this totally secondary to storage and more of a quality of life thing? I don't really see myself gaming on the phone which I'd imagine would most benefit from more power.

The chipset in the G5s will be more than enough to do anything you'll want. The bigger problem is RAM and honestly 3GB should be enough, but it wouldn't surprise me if things still get kicked out of memory in the background when you try to do multiple "big" things at a time. It will be way better than you're used to now, for sure though.

You seem to be concerned but you're making a good choice, I think you'll be happy no matter how it ends up but yeah, for EUR 100 I'd still buy the 32GB.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Have Google said anything about when Assistant might roll out to phones using UK English (or anything other than US English)?

Riller
Jun 16, 2008

Tiny Lowtax posted:

From the previous page:

Riller posted:

B&H has them up saying "coming soon" but according to a poster on the Lenovo forums, the B&H placeholders originally said that they would be available for purchase this Friday.

And now the B&H site says that it is expected to be available on March 28th. I'm eagerly awaiting this since I bought my wife a G4+ on Black Friday and we were both impressed with the overall quality for the price ($219). I've been wanting to upgrade my own phone, but was trying to hold out until the G5+ release here.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, this is what I was asking for.

Thanks, I'll give this a shot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

he's had both for a long time, during the campaign you could usually tell if it was trump or a staffer sending a tweet from if it was sent from android or iphone

Yeah but there hasn't been an Android tweet in a few weeks, so either he's dictating to his staffers to tweet for him or he's gone back to an iPhone exclusively.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Comparison of the G4 Plus and G5 Plus.

http://m.androidcentral.com/moto-g5-plus-vs-moto-g4-plus

It's a gigantic leap forward for the $200 cross carrier price range with the only real nit being the lack of NFC. The camera is easily one of the best in class, the build is solid, works on all carriers, the SD625 is a sizable jump over the SD617, and Lenmoto continues to add features that make sense but aren't intrusive (this time gestures on the fingerprint sensor.)

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I recently received a warranty replacement of my Galaxy S7, which I assume is a refurb. When I plug my phone into my PC, pull down the notifications shade, I do not have the option to tap the charging icon to make the phone transfer files. It only has charging. My PC already has the S7 drivers on it from my previous phone, meaning my PC should recognize it right away.

Any ideas?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

You try a different cable? That has gotten me once before for one reason or another.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

LastInLine posted:

The chipset in the G5s will be more than enough to do anything you'll want. The bigger problem is RAM and honestly 3GB should be enough, but it wouldn't surprise me if things still get kicked out of memory in the background when you try to do multiple "big" things at a time. It will be way better than you're used to now, for sure though.

You seem to be concerned but you're making a good choice, I think you'll be happy no matter how it ends up but yeah, for EUR 100 I'd still buy the 32GB.

Thanks again. It's been kinda tight financially so saving 100 eur if I can would be nice. I'm sure I'd be happy with either phone and at the price points both seem much better than the competition. I'm leaning on the G5+ being worth the extra for me though. The Moto E is at the point where it's 50/50 if it freezes for 10 minutes when I run both Strava and Play Music at the same time so there's no question it's due for an update.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

EdEddnEddy posted:

You try a different cable? That has gotten me once before for one reason or another.

That did it.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I have a moto x 2013.
My wife has a oneplus one.

We're both looking to upgrade. I was gonna get us both a pixel (we both want the same kind of phone so I can fix any problems we have, e.g. I replaced both 'unreplacable' batteries in our phones recently and am a techie in general) but I can't justify spending like 1600 on two phones.

My budget is up to about 450 per phone but less would be better. I've been mostly looking at the moto g5+, with the upgrades (apparently 299 for 4gb ram, 64gb).

My manager recommended the samsung s7 which he got for 360 from t-mobile. My question is, what's the current best in class at the range 250-450?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

redreader posted:

I have a moto x 2013.

We're both looking to upgrade. I was gonna get us both a pixel (we both want the same kind of phone so I can fix any problems we have, e.g. I replaced both 'unreplacable' batteries in our phones recently and am a techie in general) but I can't justify spending like 1600 on two phones.

My budget is up to about 450 per phone but less would be better. I've been mostly looking at the moto g5+, with the upgrades (apparently 299 for 4gb ram, 64gb).

My manager recommended the samsung s7 which he got for 360 from t-mobile. My question is, what's the current best in class at the range 250-450?
The G5+ is probably going to be your best bet but I don't think there are any trusted reviews yet. The Axon 7 and OP3T are both better hardware and within your price range. If you have a screen size preference it may come down to that.

Also having just set my GF up on an Honor 6x I can say it's a superb phone for the price and if you don't care about NFC I'd recommend it without hesitation.

e: I assumed you didn't want a contract but that S7 is a nice deal if you have good Tmo coverage and do the payment plan thing or whatever.

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

redreader posted:

I have a moto x 2013.

At $360 the S7 is gonna be the best in class, but I think the Pixel could be had in that range through some kind of Verizon offer? Sorry I don't remember the details, but it was also crazy cheap like that S7 one.