Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

I haven't really followed phone news for the last couple of years but I'm hitting the point where I'm just about at my wits end with my launch Galaxy S5.

Is there anything worthwhile out on the market currently that A) has a user replaceable battery, B) Has a camera that isn't total dogshit, and C) is $400 or less? The closest thing I'm seeing is the LG V20 and that's still over my budget, or one of the Sony Xperias, and that doesn't have a user replaceable battery

You can probably find a and c but removable batteries are not really a thing in most phones anymore and most cheap phones have not very good cameras

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

LG V10 or hell, a LG G5 also sort of fits that bill. The G5 might be a little better with newer hardware and potential to get a software update or two before it's forgotten.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Sorry we lost the user replaceable battery battle years ago. Time to get used to carrying a USB battery pack. Might want to start looking at bluetooth headphone/earbuds soon too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EdEddnEddy posted:

LG V10 or hell, a LG G5 also sort of fits that bill. The G5 might be a little better with newer hardware and potential to get a software update or two before it's forgotten.

Removable batteries aren't terribly useful when your phone goes into an unfixable bootloop after nine months.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I wouldn't recommend an LG after their bootlooping issues

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Well if you stay away from Snap 808 powered devices you might be Ok. So no V10 then but the G5 should be fine.

Since it was mainly the 808 powered G4, Nexus 5X, and potentially V10's that were doing the bootloop of death.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Well poo poo, that sucks. RIP fresh batteries in my old phones.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Removable batteries have gone the way of the dodo because for most people a single day's life is good enough and the remaining people can use whatever fast charging variant to top up for 30 minutes to get through an extended or intense day. It also allows manufacturers flexibility, not having to design a phone with a door and user-accessible battery. Also prevents people from buying lovely $2 batteries that lie about their capacity or go Samsung on someone.

DeathSandwich posted:

Well poo poo, that sucks. RIP fresh batteries in my old phones.

There's a non-zero number of phones where replacing the battery is relatively inexpensive via support or doable by yourself if you're not the type of person to get a new phone every two years.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Your budget is $400 so buy a Moto G5+ for $200 that will be good enough for what you want (except the camera, you don't really have an option there) and when the battery starts to go in two years buy a Moto G7+ for $200.

This is way better advice than buying a $400 phone that will in no way be better than the G5+ and will still have the same problems two years down the road.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Camera on the G5+ seems fine to me, I think people are grasping for straws to find faults. Sure it's no Pixel or iPhone 7, but it's noticeably better than my Moto X Pure. The front camera is a big improvement too. For a $200-300 phone this thing is stellar.

Also the headphone output on the G5+ sounds great. I swear it sounds better than my MXP with the same headphones. The speaker is good too, it's not stereo but gets plenty loud for listening to podcasts, etc.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

mod sassinator posted:

Camera on the G5+ seems fine to me, I think people are grasping for straws to find faults. Sure it's no Pixel or iPhone 7, but it's noticeably better than my Moto X Pure. The front camera is a big improvement too. For a $200-300 phone this thing is stellar.

Sounds like low light is where it falls flat compared to current flagships, but even there it might be comparable to flagships of just a couple years ago (not sure if it is, though)

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Yea it's supposed to be the same hardware as the s7 camera or smth

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Blue Train posted:

Yea it's supposed to be the same hardware as the s7 camera or smth

The problem apparently lies on the software end, so thanks Lenovorola or whatever they're calling themselves now!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

RVProfootballer posted:

Sounds like low light is where it falls flat

I feel like this has been the biggest shortcoming of budget phones for years now.

Where "low light" means "not outside".

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

nimper posted:

The problem apparently lies on the software end, so thanks Lenovorola or whatever they're calling themselves now!

Yea that's what I see people say. I'm curious if they mean the firmware or if just using Google camera would be enough to fix it, I assume the former

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
This is some schizo poo poo from Google. Had a Nexus 5X sitting around here, reactivated it, it pulled some updates and eventually I got a notification of Android 7.1.2. Told it to download it, it started doing that. Then I popped in my SIM card and it aborted it and now pretends there's no 7.1.2 for my device. What the gently caress!

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Does it re-appear if you turn on airplane mode then turn on wifi?

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
I'm tempted to get the new Sony XZ but after digging through some of Sony's support forums it seems like Sony's software is still glitchy as poo poo.

Both Samsung's Gs8 and the Sony's XZ are going to have 1000FPS video :swoon: and mSD card support.

The edge display of the Gs8 feels like a deal breaker though. I've mostly heard it just causes a bunch of accidental screen touchies.

:sigh: everything is garbage

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Get the motorola motor g five plus

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Combat Pretzel posted:

This is some schizo poo poo from Google. Had a Nexus 5X sitting around here, reactivated it, it pulled some updates and eventually I got a notification of Android 7.1.2. Told it to download it, it started doing that. Then I popped in my SIM card and it aborted it and now pretends there's no 7.1.2 for my device. What the gently caress!

This sounds awesome, what's​ your carrier?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Is there a way to disable the boot animation? Or at least the sound? I'm on a Moto G4 Plus, and up until I updated to Nougat it was fine. But now they've changed the boot animation and added a "BEEP BOOP HELLO MOTO" sound which earns me a weird stare or two when I turn my phone on in a silent room.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mikl posted:

Is there a way to disable the boot animation? Or at least the sound? I'm on a Moto G4 Plus, and up until I updated to Nougat it was fine. But now they've changed the boot animation and added a "BEEP BOOP HELLO MOTO" sound which earns me a weird stare or two when I turn my phone on in a silent room.
Stop turning your phone off?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Mikl posted:

You would need to root and either replace or remove the logo.bin file otherwise no

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Although you could maybe boot twrp from fastboot and delete it from there without rooting. Either way you need to be able to edit the system partition and remove that file

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Mikl posted:

Why are you turning your phone off?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ilkhan posted:

Why are you turning your phone off?

Saving battery for the waifu(s)

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Mikl posted:

I haven't messed with it, but in the sound settings on my G5+, there's a "Power up sound" setting.

E: messed with it, it does in fact disable the sound during the boot animation.

Helter Skelter fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 5, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Helter Skelter posted:

I haven't messed with it, but in the sound settings on my G5+, there's a "Power up sound" setting.

I've legit never heard of this before. Neat.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Helter Skelter posted:

At least they took this into consideration

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Blue Train posted:

At least they took this into consideration

That's exactly what I thought. At the beginning when I read that they added a powerup sound I thought "well thats hosed" because I assumed it would be a half-assed addition that didn't have a way to turn it off. Glad I was wrong!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The new sound really does have to be heard to be believed, holy poo poo its loud as gently caress and just the most obnoxious thing

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

drat it, finally starting to have issues with my Pixel. Data isn't working on Verizon LTE randomly and the only way to get it to work is to toggle mobile data on and off. No idea how to get about figuring out a fix for that and wonder if I should get a replacement

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I actually have the same issue from time to time but only when using the phone as a hotspot. This is a Moto G4 though. I wonder if it's more Verizon than the phone itself.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Verizon has been crap for my mom's pixel as well. She keeps getting dropped calls and her data is iffy at best at home. If she is on Wifi with WiFi calling though everything is fine. Anywhere else though things are usually fine.

Go figure when Sprint > Verizon for cell coverage and reliability in the semi rural areas now. Sprint is nearly 4X faster LTE in the same areas as well too. Just because Verizon says you have LTE, doesn't mean the Tower is LTE speeds or even 3G speeds at times.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No problem with data with Verizon on my pixel. Strong signal and speeds in the 80-160mbps range.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Helter Skelter posted:

Oh thank god, I hate that poo poo!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

bull3964 posted:

No problem with data with Verizon on my pixel. Strong signal and speeds in the 80-160mbps range.

:same:

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Thermopyle posted:

That's exactly what I thought. At the beginning when I read that they added a powerup sound I thought "well thats hosed" because I assumed it would be a half-assed addition that didn't have a way to turn it off. Glad I was wrong!
I came to this thing from a 2013 Moto X, and I'm honestly pretty happy that Motorola generally seems to have kept up the "keep it tasteful/actually useful" approach to their modifications since the Lenovo acquisition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
I just bought a new car, and since my old one was from 1995, this is my first car with Bluetooth in it. Problem is, my Pixel XL keeps getting "stuck" when playing audio over the Bluetooth connection. It'll act like I hit pause, but it'll still show a pause button instead of a play button, and just won't do anything else unless I cancel playback completely and restart it (pausing/unpausing does nothing). The 7.1.2 update improved things somewhat, but it's still pretty bad. I have an iPad that I tried with my car and it works great, so it seems like an issue with my phone.

Is Bluetooth just crappy on these in general, or is it my specific phone? I already went through the RMA process once when the GPS module died, and I'm not really looking forward to having to do it again.