Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
drat you guys are ruthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

His keyboard had ads.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Internet Explorer posted:

His keyboard had ads.

Yeah well at least his phone didn't cost $800 and was in stock when he ordered it
:goonsay:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

How much RAM does it have?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Watch his next phone be from oneplus because gently caress it just because the stove was hot last time doesn't mean it'll be hot this time too.

Oh he'd never buy a OP device, he hates how they treated women after their little "show your tits for a phone" stunt.

Endless Mike posted:

I assume this is to me? 2GB, I believe.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Anyone know a trick to make smart lock (location) functional again on my Pixel? Mine's totally broken as of 2 updates ago. The way it works is, wherever I'm at when I boot the phone up or disable/re-enable location services is where it will remain "stuck" at perpetually. For example if I'm at home, where I have the location marked as safe, and I reboot, it keeps my phone unlocked....and stays unlocked, no matter where I ago. And if I do it when I'm not at home, it will never unlock when i do get home. The must frustrating part is that location services is working fine, my location is correct when I look in google maps. So there's zero excuse for this not to be working.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

n.. posted:

Anyone know a trick to make smart lock (location) functional again on my Pixel? Mine's totally broken as of 2 updates ago. The way it works is, wherever I'm at when I boot the phone up or disable/re-enable location services is where it will remain "stuck" at perpetually. For example if I'm at home, where I have the location marked as safe, and I reboot, it keeps my phone unlocked....and stays unlocked, no matter where I ago. And if I do it when I'm not at home, it will never unlock when i do get home. The must frustrating part is that location services is working fine, my location is correct when I look in google maps. So there's zero excuse for this not to be working.

Do you have anything preventing the phone from using GPS on its own?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So with the Moto G5+ or however we're abbreviating, what does it take to use that on Sprint. Looks like Sprint has a SIM kit now so just buy that and attach it to the account and pop it in?

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

FAUXTON posted:

Do you have anything preventing the phone from using GPS on its own?

I'm not sure what you mean by this - GPS always works fine when I pull up maps or anything else that uses it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

So with the Moto G5+ or however we're abbreviating, what does it take to use that on Sprint. Looks like Sprint has a SIM kit now so just buy that and attach it to the account and pop it in?

Yep!

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

n.. posted:

Location based smart lock has never worked even close to reliably on my Pixel. I even went to the effort of marking mutiple locations around my home, but no luck. I just gave up on it.

Although I checked again when writing this, and at least one of my trusted locations has since disappeared (my gym, which never worked either anyway). Maybe check to make sure you didn't lose a location along the way in an update or something?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

incogneato posted:

Location based smart lock has never worked even close to reliably.

Fixed for my experience.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

incogneato posted:

Location based smart lock has never worked even close to reliably on my Pixel.

If I'm being honest it's never been totally reliable for me on any device either, but it did work beautifully on my pixel for the first couple months and now that it's stopped it's super annoying because I've grown used to it. The most annoying use case is when I'm at my computer and the phone is on the desk in front of me and I need to keep checking it (for example to see when my Uber Eats or whatever is about to arrive).

Enter PIN over and over and over, or have to pick the phone up off the desk to use the fingerprint scanner because they incorrectly put it on the loving back *ducks*

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yeah same, I've stopped using location based smartlock because it's never worked right for me on any phone.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Endless Mike posted:

How many times are you going to make this same tired joke?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hey, if he had more RAM, the joke wouldn't keep reloading.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

bull3964 posted:

Hey, if he had more RAM, the joke wouldn't keep reloading.

Having more than 4gb of RAM in a phone is just a meme.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
What's the recommended Moto G-like phone for T-Mobile in the US these days? G5? G5+? G4 play? My SO just cracked the screen on her 3rd gen Moto G and is looking to get something newer. The G5 seems like the best fit for newness and size, but Moto doesn't even advertise the G5 on their site anymore and it's more expensive on on Amazon. The G5+ may be a bit big. Also, how lovely are the Amazon versions with lockscreen ads?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Splinter posted:

Moto doesn't even advertise the G5 on their site anymore and it's more expensive on on Amazon.

???

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah well at least his phone didn't cost $800 and was in stock when he ordered it
:goonsay:
My phone cost $800, performs on an iPhone level, only fucks up Bluetooth once a day (ok, maybe twice) and was in stock when I pre-ordered it. That count?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

That's the G5+. From what I gather there's also a G5 that is 5" instead of 5.2".

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Splinter posted:

That's the G5+. From what I gather there's also a G5 that is 5" instead of 5.2".
It's not available in the US.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ilkhan posted:

My phone cost $800, performs on an iPhone level, only fucks up Bluetooth once a day (ok, maybe twice) and was in stock when I pre-ordered it. That count?

I too bought a Pixel XL before the announcement event was finished

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Splinter posted:

The G5 seems like the best fit for newness and size, but Moto doesn't even advertise the G5 on their site anymore and it's more expensive on on Amazon. The G5+ may be a bit big.

Nah, they're like identical size

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Splinter posted:

What's the recommended Moto G-like phone for T-Mobile in the US these days? G5? G5+? G4 play? My SO just cracked the screen on her 3rd gen Moto G and is looking to get something newer. The G5 seems like the best fit for newness and size, but Moto doesn't even advertise the G5 on their site anymore and it's more expensive on on Amazon. The G5+ may be a bit big. Also, how lovely are the Amazon versions with lockscreen ads? For a SO phone the G5+ from Amazon is perfect.

The G5 isn't being sold in the US--it's probably a higher price because people are importing it. It's silly to consider it at all if it's more than the G5+ though. I have the Amazon G5+ and it's fantastic. With fingerprint login you never even notice the lockscreen ad. If there's any notification from other apps then it's just a tiny little notification size ad, otherwise it's a full screen image. Like I said you breeze right by it with fingerprint login. I think mine is always showing me an ad for Dropbox, Amazon prime, etc. Otherwise there's no difference between a normal G5+, other than being $60 cheaper (go for the 4GB memory version). There are Amazon apps preinstalled but you don't need to login or use them (you can't delete them though). Also the phone can't be rooted, but who cares about that IMHO.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
For anyone else who pre-ordered the S8 or S8+ from Best Buy (or anywhere ready), where are you supposed to register for your free Gear VR? The fine print tells me to go to https://www.samsung.com/us/promotions but when I do, it only gives me the option for a fresh pre-order.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Centzon Totochtin posted:

For anyone else who pre-ordered the S8 or S8+ from Best Buy (or anywhere ready), where are you supposed to register for your free Gear VR? The fine print tells me to go to https://www.samsung.com/us/promotions but when I do, it only gives me the option for a fresh pre-order.

It's kind of a mess of a website, but I think this is it?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

It's kind of a mess of a website, but I think this is it?

Cool, thanks! Guess I still need to wait for the 21st since it needs my IMEI

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Bluetooth talk. The only issue I seem to have with my 6P is during a song, I will occasionally get a bit of a skip in the beat that just seems to happen with my SmartBean pretty consistently. I assume it could be the fact that it is only BT3.0 supported and it is doing something like re-syncing itself just that little bit every 30 seconds or so in a song. It's not too bad, but it is a tiny bit jarring when it happens during a vocal part or something.

Otherwise, no BT issues here in anything I've used it with.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

FAUXTON posted:

I too bought a Pixel XL before the announcement event was finished
Ordered Oct 4, 2016 10:33:05 AM PDT. I wasn't sure which version I wanted. I ordered a non-XL and then changed iirc.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ilkhan posted:

Ordered Oct 4, 2016 10:33:05 AM PDT. I wasn't sure which version I wanted. I ordered a non-XL and then changed iirc.

:v: I was 8 minutes ahead of you

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Arcanen posted:

Google does this too, right? I got Google Assistant on my phone just before my upgrade, and it seems to require permissions for pretty much everything to function. Everything you type in Assistant, your GPS history, browser history, what your screen is showing at any given moment etc. No thanks.

You know what Assistant is, right? It's an automated task thing that uses all your phone's capabilities so you don't have to do stuff yourself. You could try disabling individual permissions, but I wouldn't be surprised if it just requires full access to avoid complicating things

I mean yeah be suspicious of Google harvesting all your info in general (check out your account dashboard sometime) but it's a bit weird to single out this app that's meant to integrate deeply with your device and your data as having unreasonable access

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I don't know, man. Have you looked at the crazy permissions the dialer asks for? My contacts? Access to the telephone??? No thanks!

Get this: for some reason Chrome wants access to the internet. I'm not going to fall for that old trick, Google!

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Anyone here with an Alcatel Idol 4 that can relate their battery life experience? I recently broke my Idol's touch screen, and now am walking around with a USB OTG to use apps and an old rear end phone for making calls. It's workable, a repair shop can repair my phone for 70 euros, but I've always wondered if my battery wasn't faulty, it wasn't a rare occasion where I had to charge the phone twice a day, once for a little boost till around 40%~50% and then later till 70% with a powerbank sometimes even. So right now I'm wondering if I should even repair the drat thing, the warranty sure isnt going to cover the broken screen.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Even if the battery was working as intended, why would you repair a device that can't make it through a day? Just put your money toward a working device.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
True enough, but the speakers are really good, guess I could use it as an overpriced speaker.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
After a bit more use the only thing I'm kind of disappointed in with the g5+ is the speaker. I really wish it was better/louder as I like sticking the phone in my back pocket while it's playing music or a podcast and just walking around the house doing poo poo. But if I step outside to go to the car or to grill food or the dog or something I can barely hear it.

The battery is insane though. I listened to music for about 4 hours than played games for another 4 and it was at 30% plugged it in and like 45 minutes later it was at 100%.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Leper Residue posted:

But if I step outside to go to the car or to grill food or the dog or something I can barely hear it.

:ohdear:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Truly where no dog has gone before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Don't worry I'm just grilling it for information. "Where'd the ball go?!" "What's in your mouth?" "Who's a good boy? "Better answer now if you ya know whats goods for ya!"