Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
I just got a samsung galaxy s8 edge. I discovered that it has some sort of auto tagging built in to the gallery app. This isn't location tagging, which I have turned off. This is something that analyzes the image contents and categorizes them e.g. "cats" or "beach" and also recognizes faces. I don't want all my private pictures analyzed. I have searched for a way to turn this setting off. It looks like you used to be able to disable it by finding a setting either in the gallery app settings or samsung cloud settings called "auto tagging" and turning it off. That setting no longer exists. It is not accessible on my phone and people have reported logging into the samsung cloud, navigating the menus, finding it and turning it off and then it turns itself back on again.

Old discussion:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s5/758765-disable-picture-auto-tagging.html
Current:
https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Samsung-Apps-and-Services/Unable-to-disable-gallery-auto-tags/td-p/1434690

I'm about to buy an iphone instead because of this. Is there any way to actually turn this setting off? I am willing to replace the gallery app, root the phone, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I hate my phone, what's the good android to get? I prefer on the larger side and under $800

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Cool, sounds like the pixel 6 is the way to go. I'm not going to buy used this time around. I usually buy ebay refurbs or what I suspect are factory seconds, and I'm tired of putting up with the quirks. Thanks!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

ElGroucho posted:

Like a goddamn idiot, I bought an iPhone last year and regret the gently caress out of it

My favorite android feature? I can search for all texts that start with a number, say 141, the prefix on the last 500 alerts I received from work and mass delete them all easily. I have to do this poo poo more or less manually with the iphone and it loving sucks and I can't believe nobody has added this feature after 20 years

I bought an iPhone and I'm returning it for these reasons:

1. No split screen
I had no idea. I didn't do any research because I'm pretty uninterested in phones. I just assumed it did split screen. It doesn't, there's no realistic solution except just accepting that it doesn't do that.

2. One unified photo-roll.
I really don't like how all photos, regardless of origin or subject matter, are kept in one single roll. I don't and am not going to take the effort to tag photos. On Android stuff that I download is roughly separated by origin- if it comes from the browser, an app, the camera, it all goes into individual folders. There's no effort and no extra steps to maintain this.

3. The cursor won't go where you put it
I know you can hold down the keyboard spacebar and try to drop it in a certain place. I don't want to put up with it so I'm not going to.

Other than that, the equivalents of the apps that I commonly use have some quirks that I'm sure are fine but if I don't have to put up with them I won't.

Anyway now I bought a pixel6. I was going to buy a galaxy but the samsung site insisted that I must create a samsung account before buying it and lol gently caress creating new accounts

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Uthor posted:

Lol, I use a 3rd party gallery app because it shows everything in one view where I feel like I need to jump around folders in Photos to find what I want.

Try iOS then! haha

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

isndl posted:

I don't know if it's because of the security update earlier this week but the last couple days have had my P6 refusing to swipe up on the lock screen half the time. I can swipe down to pull the notification tray so it's still registering inputs, but it just doesn't want to unlock. Hitting the power button to turn the screen off and on again fixes it but this is getting aggravating.

Mine was doing that but now seems like the swipe area is just lower on the screen than it used to be.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Also they got rid of split screen, which worked perfectly for years, and replaced it with split top. Which doesn't work at all with animations turned off- it legit crashes the ui. With animations on split top is a more cumbersome and unpleasant feature than split screen.

I hate it. Why. A plague on their houses

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I'm still pissed they got rid of split screen and replaced it with a different, non-functional and worse feature. Are there even other options for phone OS besides android and ios?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
The difference is you have to designate app pairs then open the pair (?) instead of just opening any app, splitting the screen, then opening any second app. Also you can't swap one app while keeping the other open and running.

They also limited the screen split positions to quadrants instead of allowing free select.

My big complaint is on my pixel 6 it crashes the ui. And it doesn't work at all with the "remove animations" settings turned on. I have remove animations turned on, so split top doesn't work at all. I anticipate they'll eventually fix these bugs, at which point it won't be so bad.

Vim Fuego fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 13, 2022

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

codo27 posted:

gently caress google and any other company who ships a phone without a block.

:hai:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

quote:

I've had the phone plugged in about 4 hours now and its at 76% from 15% at start

Have you turned off adaptive charging yet? That's what it does, is slow down charging when it feels like the phone is almost charged.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Is there any way to prevent apps from changing the status bar color? The youtube app recently started changing the status bar to an average of the color of the top of the video. I assume there's no setting to stop this, but I'd be delighted if there were.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
It constantly changes throughout the video. I hate it. I can't believe some goober thought this up and implemented it, especially without an option to turn it off.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Is there an alternate bluetooth driver or app that I can install to stop it from switching the active bluetooth device while I am listening to music? Pixel 6 if that matters. I know it is intended behavior but it's the opposite of what I want. I just want it to stay on my headphones even if I happen to walk by the stereo bluetooth connector.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

bull3964 posted:

No, I believe what's happening is the stereo is ill behaved and always trying to connect whenever it's powered on. There's not really any way to deal with that other than unpair the stereo. The stereo is basically shouting "MINE!!" all the time and when the phone hears it, it complies. There's not really any setting that says "ignore incoming connection requests."

Yeah, the stereo bluetooth is long range and aggressive. It's powered by a wall wart and is always on. Maybe I'll put a power switch on it.

I just can't believe there's no hack to be able to say "ignore incoming bluetooth requests while transmitting to an active bluetooth device"

I understand that's not the standard. That the standard is the phone should grab whatever device asks. But that's bad!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
It's a $20 bluetooth thingy that outputs a stereo signal through audio wires. It's plugged into the stereo receiver. It is constantly stealing my phone's bluetooth connection from e.g. headphones. Its range extends through the entire house. I suspect it may be more aggressive than it should be because it's cheap. But other than this issue it's fine so I'm not going to replace it.

It taking over the connection may be triggered if I go out of range then return, but I can't really tell. It happens when I am in the same room, another room, outside, or the basement.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I have a pixel 6. Is there any way to turn on the ring but keep notifications silent? They are bound together in the sound menu for some reason that baffles me. I searched it but the instructions are hacks like "create a silent mp3 and set notifications to play that" which I'm not gonna do.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Alright, thanks. If it's a OnePlus problem they hosed up something bad with this last update, because everything worked fine.

I know that generally, using a phone for this is unreliable and drains battery but it worked basically perfectly all of last year.

My wife's phone is a Pixel 4a, so, I am just going to take that the next couple times I go skiing and if things work normally I'll either be cheap and just buy a Pixel 4 XL for $150 if I am being cheap, or a Pixel 6 Pro which is currently $400 on amazon for the 128gb black one.

I guess I should research if the 6 does anything that the 4 doesn't that I care about; I assume the cameras are a lot nicer and the processor is faster etc.

this is also good and relevant info, since I have a Galaxy Watch 4, as well, and it occurred to me that if I wanted to say "gently caress android" I am also committing to buying another watch and actually I don't want to buy anything, I just want this phone to work the same way it did last year but I know that's never how this poo poo goes, and also it has been dropped a goodly amount of times and the back is cracked etc etc.

edit: what the gently caress, there is literally no setting for "allow all the time" under location?

"allow when app is in use" / "ask every time" / "disable"

I think that's the problem, but where's the option to enable?

Heads up on the pixel 6- they changed how split screen works about a year ago and made it worse. At least in a lot of people's opinions. I think the split screen functionality is different in a lot of the manufacturer specific versions of android. So be sure to look that up if split screen is something you use a lot.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Is there a trustworthy sleep timer app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

deong posted:

Is that different than an alarm?
I've been using AMDroid for probably a decade or more.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amdroidalarmclock.amdroid

Yeah, by sleep timer app I mean an app that will shut the youtube app off after 45 minutes or whatever time I set.