Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nerve posted:

Where my nigga CLAM at?

Confirming the VU CAR works with an N6 in a Diztronic case.

Hell yes, ordering one ASAP. Thanks dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nerve posted:

Any Google Play Music All Access deals? My free three months is about to run out. Did they give anything away to Nexus 6 buyers?

I know you'd prefer a deal, but I feel that All Access is totally worth the sticker price.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

All this new Google Wallet poo poo will probably never be available in Canada :(

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bryn987 posted:

gently caress me but the N6 and/or lollipop is such poo poo these days

What problems are you having? I'm having no issues with my N6 and it's easily the best phone I've ever had.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bryn987 posted:

-Chrome crashes every few minutes.
-Waze locks up with a black screen every time I exit the app.
-Timely locks up every time the alarm goes off and I can't turn the alarm off unless I start smashing buttons and then nova launcher crashes

Think it might be nova launcher? Or just the apps in general?

Chrome works great for me, zero crashes. Are you using some intense websites or something? Don't use Waze. I use Timely daily for my morning alarms and never had a problem. Could be a Nova issue, I'm not sure because I just use the stock launcher.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

robodex posted:

Using an iPhone, I survived for years without a LED. When I got my Nexus 5 I found it pretty neat but considering the LED doesn't really tell you anything aside from "Yo, you have notifications," I really don't see the need for it? Like it really doesn't tell you anything useful unless the app color-codes the notification and that goes to poo poo once you have multiple apps using the same color.

I mean it was slightly more useful during the pre-Lollipop days when you had to unlock your phone for notifications, but it's more a novelty than anything now. I can't think of a compelling reason to keep it aside from annoying the poo poo out of you out of the corner of your eye :argh:

What you're looking for is this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rageconsulting.android.lightflow&hl=en

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

robodex posted:

I'm not paying $2.49, especially when I'd rather just disable the LED completely :v:

It's completely worth it, but your call. I'll never understand why people get stingy and weird about spending money on apps.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Ok, since both the Nexus 6 and Moto X (2014) have made it officially to Amazon, I've got some questions for both devices.

Last night, I watched Erica the Tech Nerd's review on the Nexus 6 and some other guy's review. Both state that the Nexus 6 has pretty bad burn in that happens very quickly. Is this the case for those of you who have had the 6 for a while? Are there any other hardware related issues I should be aware of?

The 2014 Moto X seems to suffer from the same burn-in issues. Are there any 2014 X users with this issue? Are there any other hardware related issues I should be aware of?

No noticeable burnin on my N6 after a couple months, but I keep my brightness quite low.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah, I understand that. My Nexus S had burn-in after a few years. However, the problem with these two devices seems to be it's happening with regular usage and very quickly (from a few days to a few weeks of receiving the new device).

EDIT:

That's good to hear. I'd probably be keeping the brightness down too. Do you use Adaptive Brightness? also, how is the battery life?

I do use adaptive brightness, it works fine. Direct sunlight is not very good for viewing but pretty much every phone I've owned has had issues with sunlight. Battery life is amazing for my use case which is light during the work day and pretty heavy in the evening. I can usually get through a full day with charge to spare. Battery gets nuked if I use my phone heavily at work though because the cell signal is poo poo here and no wifi. Overall it's the best phone I've ever owned.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah, sunlight seems to always be an issue for me too. I'm still kind of waffling between the two but mainly leaning towards the N6 mostly because no where around here seems to have one to mess around with for display.

Battery life sounds better than the N4 which is good. I barely get 3 hours or so out of it now a days. Do you have that ambient notifications thing turned on?

Any cases you (or anyone else) can recommend? Is Diztronic still the go-to thing?

I only use Diztronic cases so I can't very well recommend another one!

I should mention too that I have the ambient display thing turned off, which is supposed to slightly improve battery life (the feature where if you lift your phone off a desk/table it lights up a portion of the display in b&w to show notifications).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah, it doesn't look like the ambient display works very well anyway. Does the Diztronic make the phone annoying to pocket?

Nope, it's a very minimal/light/thin case. Also like $9.99 so it's hard to go wrong.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Oh! How's the camera? Erica's had focusing problems while taking videos. How's the picture quality?

Camera hardware is great, the Google camera app sucks. If you're serious about good phone photography you can get an app like Manual Camera which supports the new Lollipop camera API, but honestly for regular point and shoot social media pictures the N6 is perfectly fine.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

So basically like every Nexus camera (except maybe the S?) this is decent. I like that it can use the Lollipop API. Does that use RAW stuff or what exactly is it?

The Manual Camera app is this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.vipek.camera2

It can take normal JPGs, or you can tell it to capture raw DNG files too (which are loving enormous of course). It has a massive load of features and dials to screw around with, from ISO to exposure to lighting. I'm not knowledgeable with this stuff at all, but my understanding is that the raw files are intended for post-processing tasks in Photoshop and the like. I've fooled around a bit with the exposure settings when I was trying out some nighttime shots.

Either way, the new camera API looks awesome and Google should get their poo poo in gear for their own app because it does not use the new API yet.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

GWBBQ posted:

Isn't that a demo unit in a store?

Yes, you can see the security lock thing.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I just got an Ikea desk today, better return it and get a Qi enabled one!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Guillermus posted:

They'll make the first Nexus phone with a non-lovely camera as they use Sony ones :v:

At least on the N6, it's Google's camera software that's a pile of poo poo, not the sensor hardware itself.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

I meant to bring this up a couple of pages ago. Does video on the N6 constantly lose and try to regain focus? I'm wondering if this is software or hardware based.

I filmed some video at a concert I was at a few weeks ago, so some pretty difficult lighting, and it did not have trouble focusing for the most part. Only had a few issues when the stage lights were all crazy.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

In fairness the facebook app is fine, the facebook messenger app is poo poo garbage.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Literally the best thread title we've had in a while.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I have not been keeping up on 5.1 or other information so I apologize if this question is stupid in advance, but is there any chance 5.1 will allow us to disable encryption on the N6?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Well that would be cool, that should result in a large storage i/o performance bump for the N6 if true! Thanks dudes.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Variable_H posted:

If you decide to get a second phone for this then the BlackBerry Classic is $450 on RIM's site.

Its considerably more expensive than a Moto E or Moto G, but if you value the physical keyboard then it could be worth the extra cost.

Having used a BB Classic for a couple months now with a trial device at work, it's poo poo and he should not get one.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

butt dickus posted:

How's that working out for them?

If you go by my office here in Canada, pretty drat well :downs:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Looks like 5.1 has a bug with Chromecast that won't let you set it up if you must.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Chromecast/comments/2yno9h/chromecast_has_an_issue_in_android_51/

This unironically owns.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm actually super curious what business need specifically requires a Snapdragon 805.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lblitzer posted:

At this point every manufacturer is making pieces of poo poo that nobody is happy with so going with an OPO won't hurt.

Motorola phones own, to be fair

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Dark One posted:

OPPO seems to have realized how hosed up their shipping solution is for Canadians, so they decided to fix things by no longer offering shipping to Canada at all. :allears:

Honestly I'm surprised more companies don't give up like this :(

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Is that new leak Nexus 5 only, or am I blind? Read through the issue thread and didn't see any other devices mentioned.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

5.1 massively improved random NAND performance for the Nexus 6.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/03/a-look-at-android-5-1-speed-security-tweaks/

This is still a huge problem though, for example on sequential reads:

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 16, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

It's not a Read / Write thing. It's sequential vs random. Random got a big boost, sequential did not. Sequential probably won't improve until they integrate in the hardware encryption acceleration. Right now, they're just using Neon instruction sets to boost encryption performance.

Sequential is less of an issue, random is going to have a much larger influence on day to day usability. There are very few use cases that are going to be long sequential reads form NAND with your phone.

Yeah, missed the sequential part, haven't had my coffee yet, sorry. You're definitely correct there.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It's finally fixed!!!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

baka kaba posted:

What is? You mean they added that bell button? Does it let you change notification volume without stopping media playback? Or go silent??

I'm really sick of the volume control system in Lollipop. I can understand people saying 'this would be good' but I don't understand how they didn't try it out and go 'oh wait, it's actually really stupid and annoying'. If they've put in some kind of fix for that then my only other issue is Hangouts notifications popping up over video/the menu bar of an app

In 5.1, if you tap the bell button, you can now adjust notification volume without stopping and closing your music!

e:fb

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nexus 6 is noticeably faster on 5.1, this rules.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

So you get delivery before me and 5.1 before me, what the butt

Owned :smug: It's really good though.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lblitzer posted:

Get the Blackberry Blade charger. They run like $7 and charge at 1.8a.

I am possibly about to ask an unbelievably stupid question that I just can't think of myself right now, but....the Quick Charge functionality in the Nexus 6, does that reside in the charger or the phone? IE, could getting a high current charger like this work with quick charging?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

It's in the charger, but the phone has to understand it and request it.

Normal chargers, though they vary the amount of amperage they can supply, are limited to 5 volts of output of the USB spec. Since watts of power is Volts * Amps, 5 volts is limiting the amount of power that can be pushed over a little usb connection since amperage can only go so high.

Quick Charge 2.0 increases the amount of voltage in the charger. The Turbocharger that comes with the Turbo and Nexus 6 have two additional charge levels of 9v @ 1.6A and 12v @ 1.2A on top of 5V @ 1.6A. That means that the charger can supply 14.4 watts of power to the device instead of just 8 at 5v. Even a 2A traditional charger can only supply 10w.

That makes perfect sense, thank you!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Oh good, I thought I was doing something wrong.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

mars posted:

Hey guys, is there any known issue about battery being awful on 5.1?

I got the update sometime last week and my battery life tanked like crazy. It went from 100% to 15% in under 4 hours doing nothing, with google services using 43%.

I did a factory reset on Friday when I started having this issue and the phone was great all weekend, then this morning it went back to terrible.

What phone? My Nexus 6 is having no such issues on 5.1.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm having a weird issue with the Hangouts app that I'm wondering if I'm alone in. I have many conversations that from the main page state a last activity date of something like Feb 9, for example. Yet that's not accurate, if I go into the conversation, the last message was say March 15. Why is this main view not updating, it's very annoying because it orders conversations by date incorrectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

myron cope posted:

Yes I have seen this and it's super weird. I haven't seen it recently but I can't actually remember if there was a Hangouts update that fixed it or if it was fixed when I wiped for/flashed 5.1

It's super annoying because as you say, the ordering changes. I'd look for a text that I KNOW I just got and it wouldn't be there. Some wouldn't be in the list at all and I'd have to compose a new message to even see the old ones...

Sorry this isn't actually helpful but I've definitely seen it

Awesome, no that actually is helpful because I know it's not some corruption or broken thing on my end alone. I'm glad someone other than me is experiencing the exact same problem! I really hope it's a known bug.