Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Melmac posted:

Just got my Moto X 2013, I like it a lot but is having the "ok Google Now..." feature on all the time a good idea? I thought the only reason Apple does it when the phone is plugged in was because constantly listening for a phrase is a serious drain on the battery? Is this somehow not the case?

Moto designed some special low-power hardware to handle the constant listening without draining your battery. Leave it on and enjoy peace of mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

OSheaman posted:

What is this thread's opinion on the OnePlus One? Is it worth going through all the bullshit to find an invite?

no

buy a moto or a nexus

this should be in the thread title

edit: or a sony

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

OSheaman posted:

So it looks like I can get either the Sony Z3v or the Moto X 2014 for $100 with a two year contract with Verizon, and I'm back and forth between the two. Assuming that I trust Sony to release Lollipop before too long, and aesthetics aren't too too important for me, is there any other reason to get the Moto X over the Z3v? It seems like the Sony is superior in most specs.

You can also get a Turbo for the same price, which you should definitely consider instead of an X.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Straker posted:

Are you loving joking?

photographer: say cheese

group: *says cheese, smiles whether they want to or not*

LastInLine: :saddowns:

This whole discussion is just a way to get us to pine for the productive and fulfilling days of SD card and removable battery chat, right?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

The solution to "the prematurely released software on my phone doesn't work as smoothly as I would like" is definitely to buy a OPO.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Looks like my next phone purchase wille coming from Amazon for about $300 or so. Doors Amazon have phone sales or an I stuck with that horrible Fire Phone?

http://www.amazon.com/cell-phones-service-plans-accessories/b/ref=nav_shopall_wi?ie=UTF8&node=2335752011

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

False Toaster posted:

I got a Bamboo Swapstyle invite for the OnePlus. Don't own one anymore. First PM gets the code.

They're seriously doing invites for the loving accessories too??

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

SurgicalOntologist posted:

I don't suppose there's any way to leverage a Verizon upgrade into a Nexus phone? I haven't kept up with new phones since I got my Razr Droid Maxx HD two years ago. I'm broke and I'd like to keep it except it recently started disconnecting the SIM card all the time. Every time I want to call or text I have to reboot and I have maybe an hour before it will disconnect again. I have an upgrade so I figure I pretty much need a new phone (unless someone has an idea for how to fix it... I've tried re-inserting the SIM card, can't think of anything else to try). What's good these days on Verizon? Battery life is my #1 concern, don't care about the camera.

Droid Turbo, or wait a couple of weeks for the rumoured N6 Verizon release.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

withoutclass posted:

Runs pretty great on my N6 other than the random soft reboots, no headphone calling, awesome volume adjustment change, and 60% overnight idle battery drain!

Why don't you people charge your goddamn phones overnight I will never understand this

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

It's not you so much as it not being in the OP since Messenger is a dumpster fire.

This is so weird since for a long time, the Messenger app was great and the main app was the broken one. I guess they just now got around to making GBS threads it up...

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

actionjackson posted:

Chillax dude, I know from experience that a lot of that stuff causes huge battery issues.

What in your experience led you to imagine that turning off notifications for all of your apps would improve anything about your experience with this phone, let alone the battery life specifically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Just flashed the 6.0 factory image with a complete wipe, and as part of the setup, I went about setting each app (and several contacts) to have their own custom sounds just as I had with 5.1.1. The problem is that the phone is just playing the default system-wide notification sound for everything, even though the setting seems to "stick" (i.e., when I go back into the settings for each app, it still has my custom choice set as the sound for that app and/or contact). This is happening with Gmail and Hangouts, but ringtones seem to work fine. Anyone else run into this problem?