Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

OG Nexus 7 (the WiFi-only version, anyway) now has 5.0.2 (LRX22G) available for sideload direct from Google. I don't know if it's available OTA; someone else will have to check that.

I can report that, at least as a :pt: sideload, it's finally ready for prime time (insofar as a 2012 Nexus 7 ROM can be).

Note that installing this the way that page tells you to will wipe goddamn everything, including the user storage.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Well of course, but

1) it's never a bad idea to warn people about loss of data when messing with system updates,
2) cleaning out the old userspace/Android folder's probably a good idea, and
3) not backing things up is a calligraphed invitation for chaos to ruin your entire day anyway.

Also this is likely to draw in anyone that knows what dir or ls do and want to get the jump on making their tablet last maybe one final year. They may not even know how to deal with command scripts. They should probably wait for the OTA, but lots of people like living dangerously and wouldn't normally think about root, and we don't know when Google's going to drop an OTA.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 20, 2014

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Vinlaen posted:

What are the current feelings on the OnePlus One?

I ordered one on impulse the other day, and was planning to cancel it for a Note 4 (maybe) but I forgot and the OPO just shipped. (I'm using an iPhone 6+ but thinking about going back to Android instead of iOS)

If those are your options stick with the iPhone.

Nexus, Moto, Sony, sure, switch. Not for either of those.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

b0nes posted:

I remember in Andoid there used to be a feature that would alert you on what time to leave to get to a location on time. Like if you had a meeting 30 minutes away it would scan the traffic and tell you to leave at 2:30 to get there before 3.

It's called Google Now and it's such a big deal it's integrated into Google's official launcher. You may have to turn it on in Google Settings (not in the normal settings).

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Pork Pie Hat posted:

So the thread consensus is basically, if it comes down to a straight choice between the oneplus one and the nexus 5, I'd be a tit to choose anything other than the nexus, right?

I might even say that for the Nexus 4. OnePlus and Cyanogen Inc. deserve each other.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

For one, that's the 4.x launcher. And I guess it uses a deprecated transparency API or something? They stuck with it to avoid breaking launcher space and so they didn't have to script up an import for another launcher. (If it's anything like the Nexus 7, the new launcher wouldn't fit in /system/.)

Nova, Apex, Google Now, all should be Material-aware.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Also Currents no longer works (replaced by Google News and Weather (updated freaking finally and also not the same thing as Google Play Newsstand)) and neither does Email (it just redirects to Gmail's support for POP3/IMAP/Exchange* now, if it's updated, and maybe if it's not if the system image is new enough).

Feel free to disable both in App Info.

EDIT: This observation may apply to the Nexus 5 and probably doesn't to the Nexus 6.

*Only with Gmail Exchange services, which you should have but aren't guaranteed to (sideload from APKmirror or somewhere if you can't add an Exchange account to Gmail or in Settings, because it's not offered on Google Play).

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jan 2, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Disable "Turn Off" anything in Application Manager with Wi-Fi Direct in the name.

Yes, the S5 using Wi-Fi for local sharing instead of your internet connection is that aggressive. You may be able to just switch off Wi-Fi file sharing and see it work properly, but this is officially A Problem reported in quite a few places.

Samsung delenda est.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

WindmillSlayer posted:

No idea if this is the right place to ask but eh

How do I go about updating Liquidsmooth? I think im on 2.4 and its up to 2.10 or something now.

Samsung galaxy s3, btw

Custom ROMs are a Rooted Thread matter.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Reverse Centaur posted:

What? Lollipop is amazing. It's the first time I've thought Android has better style than iOS. You guys are bonkers.

:agreed:

My 2012 Nexus 7 works pretty rad with it on 5.0.2 (and also shed an annoying restart bug I never managed to work around v:shobon:v) and it's the first thing that's made me feel pressure to upgrade from my Galaxy S3.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

He probably objects to the part where, even if you are no longer contractually obligated to make your first (if any) Google+ identity match what your mother and the tax bureau call you, things get weird and screwy RE: hangouts/contacts/etc. if you don't, and Google Play/Games gets kinda creepy if you do.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Radio Talmudist posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I've been thinking about rooting my LG G3 for Xposed for a while now. My only concern is what would happen with OTA updates: would I gently caress up my phone by upgrading to lollipop from a rooted lg g3 with an xposed install? I guess I could always do a factory reset, go back to a fresh, non-xposed lg g3 install and do an OTA for lollipop that way?

The Rooted thread is better at this, but based on the Android 5 security model (which assumes partitions other than /data are perfect unchanging monoliths) the update would simply fail before doing anything.

And Xposed on ART is not something you should expect anytime soon. Or maybe ever.

And OTAs are pretty easy to do from a freshly factory-imaged device environment (unless you have a phone without public distribution of factory images).

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Windmill Hut posted:

Just got my new G2. At the setup i've selected to use my Google account and transfer over data, but none of my apps are coming across? I can download them all manually but i'm just wondering why this isn't working? It'd be handy for the future if i have to factory reset etc.

I have backups set to ON on my old Nexus 4

G2s aren't new and backups are device-specific.

Lollipop has an NFC transfer-account thing that would preserve app lists etc.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Tunga posted:

This isn't true. Prior to Lollipop restoring would download a bunch of apps that are installed on one or more of your other devices except you can't determine which device or apps you get in any way. Also none of your app data is restored unless the app specifically implements it, it literally just downloads the app from Play.

Yeesh, that's worse than if it were device-specific.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Flat Daddy posted:

HTC ONE m7

Everything sucks and I regret buying this lovely phone. i put cynagoen mod on because with stock OS I pocket-dialed 911 multiple times. I used the cm official installer and my boot screen says something like "do not redistribute this HTC proprietary software, internal use only" and all the apps i use crash all the time

And now you know what you're getting in bed with when you use CyanogenMod. At least learn how to CJ your phone yourself. The Rooted thread can help.

Alternately, get something with a stock ROM that's bearable, like a Nexus, Moto, Sony, or at least something that isn't years old. The time you save not CJing is worth more than the money you saved on that phone. You can even still root it if you want. Probably.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

You'd have to blow away your carrier partition to get rid of carrier customizations. That is a Rooted Thread matter, and also would probably lead to wiping your phone since big-time access to Nexus devices involves unlocking the bootloader, which wipes the phone as a security measure.

Your warranty will probably not be happy with this.

You may be limited to factory images rather than OTAs from then on. Fortunately you can do a factory re-image without any further wipes by changing three bytes in a shell script.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 22, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Depends on how the OTA is formatted.

OTAs for upgrading from a Lollipop image, presumably on any Android device, expect parts of the filesystem that user credentials can't touch to be exactly as they were imaged (not even metadata changed; presumably NAND wear leveling is okay as long as it doesn't change things at the filesystem level*) or the update will abort before doing anything.

I guess if the update doesn't touch wherever they store carrier garbage it could work if it also doesn't check the carrier garbage.

*EDIT: This works because the solid-state memory controller lies to the OS about the block layout (Sure buddy, I can put that there, whatever *determines its own best fit*), or because the OS actually trusts the SSD to know what it's doing without dictating block positions (not common yet).

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 22, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Am I chasing a lost cause here?

To elaborate: flash memory pretty much turns over blocks as soon as they're deleted. Not necessarily erase-commanded (though often so), but they go back into the pile of unallocated blocks, and if the OS asks for it without allocating it the result could be some other deleted block, because memory controller blocks and OS blocks don't have to be the same thing, otherwise wear leveling wouldn't work. This frustrates data retrieval services, government investigators, and spies to no end.

So yeah, your only hope is that the data got out okay but now you can't find it, and a quick glance at your drive's fill meter will tell you that.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Skeezy posted:

You might be waiting forever because the dude who makes Xposed is still complaining about ART and as far as I know hasn't done much about it.

He popped up a couple weeks ago to say he's still working on it; he's just not posting builds or github merges until he's got something that works.

Although yes, the way ART works means KitKat might hit end of life before Xposed for ART is ready.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Rastor posted:

You maybe didn't know this coming from the iPhone world but what you really needed to mention / start a fistfight over is whether you want a "stock" experience or a "Samsung" experience. Goons (myself included) generally prefer the "stock" experience and therefore would pick the Moto X (2014) from those two choices.

The arguments for the S5 also displace it in favor of a Note 4 (definitely on camera, and even/especially on a Quality/Tolerability of TouchWiz metric), because goons generally don't believe in half-assing things.

If you can't do a Note 4 (size/price/whatever), and you consider yourself a rigorous person, the Moto X quickly becomes a prohibitive favorite, if not the only real option.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 27, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I wish they'd let me set my own repos and allow me to compile all my apps from source.

As long as phone component drivers remain the sick joke they are (even if mobile radios have to be blackboxed by law they could still adhere to an API or something), it doesn't really matter.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I shouldn't ever have to do this let alone reboot every 2-3 days. Neither are an acceptable solution for regular people in 2015.

This is true and is something Google needs to get on top of.

The weird trick that puts a 2012 Nexus 7 back in order? Well, root+busybox bullshit, unfortunately.
code:
fstrim -v /data
(also /cache might help - I suppose /system can too on some devices but root+busybox leaves you with literally no /system left on a 2012 Nexus 7 on the 5.0.2 factory image and rooting leaves an Android 5 device tilted (in the pinball sense) anyway so I hope you got a source for factory images! - and the -v is just the verbose flag but you're done when it returns zero so it's useful)

My concern about that isn't so much that it's none too diligent about storage upkeep (even if it'd be a supercomputer ten years ago it's still a tiny little phone brain) but that based on device behavior it seems to be doing stuff it only sort of doesn't care about in the onboard NAND's "don't care" land. Or it's got absurd write amplification. Either one sets sirens off in my head.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 11, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

galahan posted:

I love my rooted HTC one m8.

I almost got the Sony Z3, but I figured Sony's proprietary stuff would annoy/break on me if I modded it much. Assuming Sony didn't lay mines and cantrips on the path of modding/customisation.

Sony's "ecosystem" annoys me almost as much as Apples. (Am I wrong?)

Also I probably won't get ps4 ever or until it's like $150

EDIT: This is probably rooted-thread talk but since it's instrumental in determining a purchase for many people it probably also belongs here:

Pretty much everything rooting-related involves checking XDA for factory image availability (and workarounds to put back useful subroutines that got deleted just because you unlocked the bootloader, Sony) these days, because Lollipop changed the update model so it'll abort updates directly if literally anything is off about partitions like /system that are ostensibly not user-accessible.

Yes, you should probably do this before ever ordering the phone.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 18, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

If everyone knew how to find all that out we wouldn't need a rooted thread.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Qualcomm announced new 4xx and 6xx range chips.

This graphic is hillarious to me. Enjoy your pathetic 150Mbps DL, "curious explorer" plebs.

They put a fifty-meg upload chip higher than a hundred-meg one.

Even though 300 down is already local-storage-tier.

It's disingenuous as poo poo is what it is. (Actually more than; actual poo poo doesn't really have pretenses.)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Cometa Rossa posted:

I just bought a 16GB miniSD card for my Galaxy Ace 2. I'm a technologically illiterate dumbass baby, is there any way to install apps to the card instead of the phone's nearly-full storage?

If you go to Apps/Application Manager/whatever you might see a Move to SD Card option, but unless you know your card has a tolerable random write rate it's probably not worth it.

Keep in mind not even Samsung is sticking out the whole SD Card slot thing going forward (partly because Google doesn't really want to give people the option anymore). Expect that most apps, even those that currently offer "Move to SD", will take it away from you in the next few months regardless of your preferences.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

LastInLine posted:

100% correct.

Default encryption on devices without encrypt/decrypt acceleration or with old/borderline NAND (f2fs might play into it but I'm not familiar with it yet).

It still should be the standard (and I'm upset Google backed off on that) but if that's what people are running into you can't rightly be upset that they would dare to be upset.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Athenry posted:

So 5.1 is way better on my Nexus 7 2012 than 5.0.2 ever thought of being. Not quite as good as when it shipped but great for a 3 year old device.

Maybe if it ever dropped cards from Recent Apps, because the thing will drag after more than a dozen or so (I even made it soft-reboot in 5.0.2 once). As far as I can tell Recently does it for tasks that have been terminated for anywhere from 12 hours to a week (or just at all, reducing Recent Apps to an alt-tab) and doesn't actually kill any foreground or background (or even paused) tasks, but it also requires root.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

peeNamaste posted:

Nexus 6 is out of my price range.

There are still places selling 2013 Moto X and 2014 Moto G and things like that. Occasionally even new and not just on eBay.

OnePlus is run by Oppo. They're the lowest-quality of China's "actually probably not a knockoff or cut-rate POS" mobile device manufacturers, but they're still pretty bad both from a hardware and sales method standpoint.

They were also in bed with Cyanogen for a year or two (not anymore, and no one knows what that'll do with their software) and based on how each of them operated they deserved each other.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Desk Lamp posted:

Once that becomes a legitimate concern you should be more worried about why Mossad is after you instead of how much trouble they'll have getting into your phone.

You seen how many AT&T phones default-allow anything named 'attwifi' without any way for the user to disable it? Sure you're probably an idiot if you allow a public SSID to unlock your phone (and it hopefully works via MAC address and other indicators), but hundreds of thousands of people are guaranteed not to have the choice at some point.

Your blasé dismissal might be appropriate for radio ROM hacks, but opportunistic stuff is still a concern.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Turnquiet posted:

What is the deal with the OTA 5.1 for the Nexus 6? I know I could computerjanitor the newest image onto my phone if I blow it all away by unlocking the bootloader, loading, flashing, relocking, etc, but it would be much better for the loving OTA to come through natural means. This is a Google Play phone on a Verizon sim.

Carriers can still control when OTAs happen. You could try turning off the phone, pulling the SIM and turning it back on, then checking for OTA again. If that doesn't work, well, you got Verizoned.

Google probably HAD to do it this way because they can't withhold ALL Android devices from uncooperative carriers the way Apple can withhold ALL iOS devices from uncooperative carriers, but that doesn't mean I can't be upset about it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

RVProfootballer posted:

As long as you haven't hosed with your phone and rooted it or done other stuff, it is really simple to download the OTA and sideload it using "adb update." That keeps all your data in place and is identical to waiting to get the OTA, except you don't have to wait.

Good point.

Note that the Factory Images page will not give you the OTA. Good news: They're all signed images you download from a .google.com subdomain. Bad news: They aren't publicly listed anywhere so you have to comb a site like Android Police for the appropriate link and make sure the device, current version and target version all match. At least it should fail gracefully if they don't.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

this_is_hard posted:

But that would defeat the purpose of posting every few pages about how the 2013 Moto X is (and always will be) the Only Correct Purchase

Well, it's the one true budget purchase on AT&T, anyway (only supports two of T-Mobile's three LTE bands if that's how you roll, but at $299 for 32GB Developer Edition there are worse fates).

Speaking of: I wonder why Sony's reportedly going with the 810 in the Z4. I mean, if anyone can manage it they can, but it's a curious decision to make knowing its thermal issues.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="443481231"]
I saw a deal for the Note 4 on eBay Daily Deals, but that version didn't have LTE radios. Why would Samsung do that to people?

Because it's intended for Europe and Europe-like places which were* still dealing with HSPA+ a lot, because Japan and China have weird mobile systems and the global south is all-caps COMPLICATED, and if you're American or Canadian and don't go through your carrier then :911:you're an enemy of the state or something:canada:.

*Keep in mind that the Note 4 was already probably deep in development when the Note 3 was released.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

LastInLine posted:

It wouldn't work anyway as Play Services is updated whether you want it to or not and if an app needs an API in a version you don't have the app refuses to run, dumps you immediately to the Play Store Play Services page and updates immediately without any user intervention.

Clearing the cache only makes Play Services work harder because, duh, it has to rebuild the cache and it will do that whether you want it to or not.

It is not designed to be hosed with.

I'm not sure you can even roll back updates to Google Play Services anymore. At least, I have a 4.4.4 and a 5.1.0 device that grey out "Uninstall Updates".

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

butt dickus posted:

PHA means "Potentially Harmful App"

So where did you get this and what did the source mean by 'potentially harmful app'?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Skarsnik posted:

Dont install lovely apps then?

You might as well ask people not to install apps at all with the state Android's in these days.

That's sort of what the Android app and game threads are for - so courageous goons can find the worst offenders and wave other goons off of them, or more rarely find stuff actually worth using.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

LastInLine posted:

As for the apps and their permissions, come on. It's not difficult to find good apps and I'm sure everyone here (in a nerd phone thread for weirdos) can easily tell a good app from a bad one. I'm not saying grandmothers who can't tell spam from email couldn't do it (which is a legitimate complaint about Android) but is anyone here seriously unable to distinguish malware from useful apps on Google Play?

Google is actively trying to disarm users, app publishers are getting more predatory as people resign themselves to the level of exposure derelict governments expect of them, and if we confirm that an app is valid it's through independent research, not relying on what Google Play tells us.

It's at least less bad on iOS but both platforms have massive artificial barriers to checking a publisher's work (with one ironic set of exceptions).

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 7, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

bull3964 posted:

What the gently caress broken Gingerbread era app are you using that you need a settings button?

An incredibly* broken one, from the sound of it. Most Gingerbread apps that need a menu and can't fit it in the header (example: Winamp) will put an extra as-needed menu button in the virtual button bar.

*Literally, as in it strains credibility nearly to and possibly beyond the breaking point.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

RZA Encryption posted:

Are you telling me there isn't a clear plastic or glass layer on top of the white layer?
Lol why does anyone buy such poorly made products?

Because cheap poo poo sells and a lot of people need a phone to function in society and can't afford a good one, because that is the nature of unopposed global capitalism.

Also ^ ^ ^ yeah that. It DOES look like whatever metallic coating was on the rim of the phone got deposited on the face of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Golbez posted:

Trying again just in case someone knows the answer but missed this... Is there a good/reasonably safe method to force move an app to the SD card without rooting? Most of what I see online is either years old or requires root, but maybe things have changed?

Probably not and also it's rare that a Micro SD card has properties suited to such things because they're only really wear-tested and random-I/O-tested for bulk-media and slightly more intensive purposes (like Nintendos).

Move to SD existed so old Android phones could cheap out on flash memory, and that's not so necessary anymore.