Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Let's discuss SD cards shall we?

Best SD card for my Galaxy S5?

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

0zxy posted:

"What are you going to be using for your phone for?".

Did you tell her the right thing and say it's solely a communications device :colbert:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

One day I hope the Moto assist stuff becomes a normal part of Android as a whole because it super cool and would make Android so much better overall.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'm glad the Android thread remains the same. :downsbravo:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

tongboy posted:

Thank you for this! I never researched to see how to get tabs back within chrome. It was bugging me.

I really dislike the feature and wonder why it's the default function.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'm noticing that my Nexus 5 screen starts acting up sometimes while I charge the phone.

A lot of times the screen reacts really weird to touch. Is this a common thing?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

We're finally hitting 4GB of ram on a phone. I don't know why you'd need that much but hey, here we are.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

This thread is wonderful sometimes.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Flat Daddy posted:

HTC ONE m7

Everything sucks and I regret buying this lovely phone. i put cynagoen mod on because with stock OS I pocket-dialed 911 multiple times. I used the cm official installer and my boot screen says something like "do not redistribute this HTC proprietary software, internal use only" and all the apps i use crash all the time

loving lol

The M7 owns you should just convert it to a GPE and keep using it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Shannow posted:

Holding off on updating till Xposed works on ART, I have too many rooted bells and whistles I'd miss, the notification popping up constantly is pissing me off though.

You might be waiting forever because the dude who makes Xposed is still complaining about ART and as far as I know hasn't done much about it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2875284/cyanogen-ceo-says-he-wants-to-take-android-away-from-google.html

Cyanogen CEO says he wants to ‘take Android away from Google’. I guess they want to have their own app store and everything? I dunno if it'll work but lol

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

enojy posted:

evleaks leaked a promotional photo of the HTC One M9 (far right.)

I haven't been following it too much, but I believe they're releasing two models, e.g. HTC One & One Max. Looks really nice. Full glass front, speaker holes replaced with Nexus 9-style slits at the top and bottom. Power button relocated to the right side, beneath the volume rocker! Hardware button on the larger version may or may not be a thumbprint reader. I'll stick with the smaller one, thanks.

I think the M9 looks really nice. I moved from the M7 to the Nexus 5 and don't regret it or anything but the One is such a good phone.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Require More Fire posted:

Speaking of Google Now it will now be able to pull in cards from 3rd party apps:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/30/7953025/google-now-third-party-apps

That's really, really cool. I think.

Kinda wish I could edit in the sources it pulls from. Like I want Now to pull Android news but not from Christian News or IBTimes

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/01/30/not-a-joke-android-5-0-2-factory-image-posted-for-nexus-7-2013-lte/

5.0.2 images just got posted for both the 2012 and 2013 Nexus 7 LTE

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Ahahah Android Police finally updated their site design.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

My wife's Nexus 5 continues to be crap with Lollipop even after a factor reset. Apps will automatically close, including the camera in the middle of trying to take pictures. I'm tempted to just stop waiting on Google to unfuck their own phone and get something else. The LG G2 is pretty cheap on EBay, I imagine that should be a sufficient reps replacement? The battery life looks like it would be much better and the build quality of the Nexus 5 never wowed me. I'm tempted to pay more for the refurbed M8 for $300 but performance isn't a huge need. The G2 doesn't have lollipop yet but I don't see that as a problem anymore.

I've seen Play Music just stop working if it's being Casted with 5.0.1 but I've never heard of the camera just straight up closing before you take a picture.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

SwissCM posted:

Same deal with my mums Nexus 5. If its been on long enough, programs just randomly close due to that memory leak.

I've had the Play Music one happen.

I hope Lollipop 5.1 just comes out soon and is the ~true~ version of Lollipop.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

There was one goon for whom 5.0 worked fine so y'all must be imagining things.

For the most part Lollipop works fine but I mean it does need some fixing.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

the milk machine posted:

I have a Note 3 on Verizon. I like it, but would like to downsize and am looking at the Moto X or Droid Turbo... any opinions?

The X looks great, but that battery on the Turbo...

From my understanding both are fantastic options. So really it's a matter of looks over battery.

Between the two I'd go with the Moto X.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

the milk machine posted:

I really like the idea of a battery that could get me from waking up in the morning to going to sleep at night without needing to be plugged in, but the X really looks and feels nice. As for the camera, is the X noticeably worse?

They're both relatively new; are they likely to see a meaningful update this year?

I've read reviews and such, but I'm wondering more what the real world differences would be and I'm not an Android expert.

They will get updates to Lollipop (I think the X already got it's update??)

Whether or not Lollipop is meaningful is a different topic.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So Lollipop 5.1 is already showing up on those Android One devices.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...-nexus-devices/

Here's a nice little change that's part of it. http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/02/04/android-5-1-feature-spotlight-change-wi-fi-or-bluetooth-connections-from-the-quick-settings-menu/

The ability to change WiFi or Bluetooth from the quick settings menu.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

nimper posted:

Didn't know that!

Seems like Lollipop has a lot of poo poo like that and for some reason they decided it would be smart not to show that "hey you can click here to do this" or just bring attention to it.

It's weird.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So there's a new Xposed being made or at least the systems are similar to Xposed. For right now it's called "El Pollo" (I know what this means but I have no idea if it's some weird XDA in joke or something). It's currently in private testing and being made by "HomerSP" and "N.Russell" who are both guys who ran a dev group called Villian ROM also XDA I guess I don't know. Either way it's legit and here's a link:

http://www.landofdroid.com/2015/xposed-style-framework-for-lollipop-in-beta-testing/

Take it as you will but whatever. Nothing really to get excited over yet.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

root thread, please.

You got it. I forgot that thread still existed.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

If anyone wants a One Plus One for whatever reason, they'll be selling them without an invite every Tuesday, starting tomorrow.

Why the gently caress do they not just sell the phone outright at this point lol.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

nerve posted:

Any Google Play Music All Access deals? My free three months is about to run out. Did they give anything away to Nexus 6 buyers?

Apparently YouTube Music Key was going to e $7.99 and that would include All Access but I have no idea if that happened.

(I know Music Key is out but I mean the price point)

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I skipped out on the M8 so the fact that the M9 takes the 8 and makes it better is fantastic.

Imo I'm glad they took the if ain't broke don't fix it route (mostly, they just improved it)

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

S6 just got announced. Honestly it looks like an iPhone 6.

No microSD slot and no swappable battery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QJIayQLY7c

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

nerve posted:

Samsung is hilariously shameless

Oddly I admire that about them.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'm more annoyed that there is a green S6 coming out but only the Edge. I don't care for the Edge gimmick.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Do the edges of the Note Edge go all the way down? The S6 Edge doesn't seem to do that.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Between the M9 and the S6 I'm going towards the M9 (mostly because HTC hasn't hosed with me between the EVO 4G and the M7). HTC needs to come through and make a green variant of the M9 and it'll be perfect.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

It's a little disappointing HTC didn't go all the way and add wireless charging.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

The metal body rather prevents that

Hmm haha yeah I didn't think about that.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Hace posted:

No USB Type-C?

Nope.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Android 5.1 official http://officialandroid.blogspot.com/2015/03/android-51-unwrapping-new-lollipop.html

T-Mobile already has rollout notes for the Nexus 4, 5, and the 7 (2013). They are saying rollout starts today.

Hopefully images come up tonight.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 9, 2015

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Whoops, I fixed that on my original post. Here's the proper link: http://officialandroid.blogspot.com/2015/03/android-51-unwrapping-new-lollipop.html

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Spec wise I like what the Pixel is doing. But it's just a laptop that is $1200 and runs Chrome really well.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

bull3964 posted:

HTC One M7 is on its final software revision, it will not be upgraded further. The M7 GPE will get upgraded to 5.1.

http://www.androidcentral.com/only-google-play-edition-htc-one-m7-will-be-update-android-51

While you can easily convert to a GPE, HTC supported the M7 pretty well. Can't even complain.

-------

Okay so I'm trying to find the proper charge cord for a Nexus 5. I have the one that came with the phone at home, but I wanted a spare for work so I can charge my phone.

I'm using some random cable now but it takes like 5 hours for the phone to charge with it. Yes I know I could just buy a Tylt Vu or something but I plan on switching to the M9 next month.

So yeah, I figure I could find the cord on Monoprice or something but I want to make sure it's the proper cord (the one that came with my phone charges in about an hour and a half or so).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Seems like embargo's are up because Engadget, The Verge, and a bunch of other places have reviews up.

Looks to be a very incremental update if you had an M8. According to Verge, the camera is sometimes worse than the M8.