Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Variable_H posted:

Did the Verge rate it 9/10 just because it's the M9, like they did with their Windows 8.1 review?

They gave it a 8.3.

I'll probably still get the M9 since I skipped the 8 and just don't care for the Galaxy. The M9 is going to do great I think but I'm sure HTC will change it up again for the M10.

That is assuming HTC doesn't close for good because according to /r/Android the M9 is the worst phone in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

New Leaf posted:

So I'm about to leave Verizon for Sprint. Their "cut your bill in half" ploy has gripped me, and Verizon has legitimately lovely service at my house. What is the top-of-the-line Sprint Android device these days? LG G3? HTC One M8? Motorola something? I'm using a Galaxy S4 right now, and while I like it, I'm not enamored with Samsung. My first 2 Droids were HTC because they were the best at the time, but I'm not completely brand loyal.

Go to T-Mobile or something instead because Sprint is absolute garbage. I'm saying this as an ex-Sprint customer of like 10 years.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

New Leaf posted:

So, same question for T-Mobile.. :)

You could go ahead and just get a One M9 if you want to use that but depending on which review you read it's only slightly better than the M8 or all around worse than the M8.

There's also the Galaxy S6 which I'm hearing is pretty good. But blah blah Samsung etc etc. I dunno.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

New Leaf posted:

If both are better than the S4, will I really know the difference?

I realize the Galaxy line is solid, but I'm kinda done with Samsung for now I think..

Then you have other options, M8/M9 could be nice. Sony Z3 or Z3C depending on if you want a smaller phone. I've heard the G3 is pretty nice also.

e. Personally I'm going for the M9. I skipped out on the M8 since I had the Nexus 5 and I just all around prefer HTC. They have never been bad to me so it's what I like.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

tongboy posted:

Depending on where you live or use the phone that is not so true anymore.

In the Chicago area, Sprint is outstanding. I wouldn't have been able to say that a year ago.

Oh word? I've never heard someone say Sprint is outstanding anywhere but it's nice that they are slowly (s...l...o...w...l...y) getting better at stuff.

I'm in Miami and Sprint is absolute trash. Got super tired of not being able to stream or even show someone a Youtube video without it buffering all the time.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

ruby idiot railed posted:

Welp, Jump!'d my mom to a Note 4 and my wife to (preorder) Galaxy S6 Edge. Guess I'll find out how much I'll be tempted to go Note4->S6 this year.

How did the pre-order stuff work out? I want to jump to the One M9 but do I have to wait till April 10th when the phone is out or can I do it now? I'm assuming I have to wait for the phone to be physically in stores but I'm curious.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

You can Jump to a preorder device. The phone gets shipped to you when it's available but otherwise it works like a regular online upgrade order. You get 90 days (i think)to turn your old phone in after.

I did this with my Note 4, from a S5.

Oh wow awesome. I'll go for it next Friday then.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

My M9 case came in and I get paid Wednesday. Can't wait to get this phone by then.

Also I realize I might be the only dude stoked about the M9 on here.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'm still not even sold on the M9 at this point. After that post I made I found a couple more reviews and stuff that came out today and it doesn't seem to be worth it.

Was always a bit torn because I knew the S6 had better features overall. Feels like I should go with the S6 and use a phone that has a better camera and wireless charging and all.

I'll check it out at Best Buy tomorrow or something.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

thebushcommander posted:

Just read some reviews on the S6 and S6 Edge... it's the first Samsung phone since the Note came out that has me considering Samsunging myself.

I might be Samsunging myself for the first time.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Nierbo posted:

[TIMG]http://i.imgur.com/uud8Jjj.png[/IMG]

So it goes grey when using a browser, or goes an orange tint if I'm using messaging etc.

Use the Awful app and it'll be blue instead.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

thebushcommander posted:

I guess the question is, which do I want more out of the two. On one hand the edge is gimmicky even though the contact edge looks neat and if you look at the phone horizontally from the bottom it looks cool, but it it worth $100 dollars. Battery life across 4 different reviews all seem to indicate similar results, so it's not just The Verge at the moment, but as long as it last as longer than my m7 I'll be happy and considering I have 3 drat Tylt Vu's purchased at random times when they were on sale even though I don't have a phone capable of wireless charging I should have power available anywhere I need it the most!

It was really easy for me. The S6 Edge was a no go because according to the Community Hardware dude from T-Mobile (Des) the green Edge isn't coming out in the States.

So I'm just going with the regular S6.

Honestly I wish the regular S6 was in green also.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

On the one hand, yes no green, that's awful, but on the other, the blue shimmer highlights with the black version looks sexy as gently caress.

Yeah the black one is probably the one I'm getting. Looks very nice.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Got my preorder in this morning for the S6 and also went ahead and bought a Tylt Vu. I'm so ready for wireless charging and all that.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

hotsauce posted:

Qi is nice while you sleep, but QC 2.0 will change your life.

I've stopped fiddling with Qi in the car. Just plug in QC and it aggressively pumps current into your battery. You can run everything at full throttle and it charges away. No so with Qi.

It's nice at night or in the office, but otherwise QC is far superior.

I'm thinking of taking the Tylt into the office yeah. Haven't decided yet. Just really wanted to buy these accessories to finally try them out.

QC 2.0 :getin:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

OhFunny posted:

I love the Blue HTC One M7. Why did HTC drop the color from the M8 and M9? I want more blue phones.

I want more green phones.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

hotsauce posted:

Emerald green S6 edge. :swoon:

It's absolutely gorgeous and I wish the regular S6 also got it. Heard that the US isn't getting the green one though. At least none of the carriers are.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Norns posted:

I wanted the green. But I have a sapphire black one in my hands right now. No regrets.

That's the one I ordered. I like the black/blue also.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I just do not understand this thread. When the Galaxy Note Edge was announced last year, everyone called it a dumb gimmick and made fun of it relentlessly. Now everyone is fawning over the S6 Edge. What is so different this time that makes this one so great?

For one the Galaxy Note Edge had its Edge screen be a separate thing. The S6 Edge is one full screen with edges on it so it looks much better.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'm curious to see how the S6 Edge is received 3 months from now. Watching a video about it on Droid Life one of the dudes mentioned that he liked the Edge because it was something different. So he didn't have the same phone everyone had or whatever.

I can get that but I'm sorta feeling like those people will eventually say a couple months down that the Edge is whatever and not worth the premium.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

You can take the battery percentages off in Touchwiz right or is that just a Samsung thing and it's permanent.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

lostleaf posted:

Part two of anandtech's HTC M9 review

http://anandtech.com/show/9137/the-htc-one-m9-review-part-2

That conclusion. drat it HTC. Luckily I'm still in love with my M7.

So glad I went with the S6.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Gotenks0053 posted:

I have an upgrade coming this or next week. With all the stuff I've seen about the M9, I'm guessing I should just go with an M8 instead then? I really like the One's design and feature set, but the M9 is seeming really disappointing. The only real positive I see is Sense 7, and that's coming on the M8 anyway right?

Go for the M8. If you want something else that's flashy and new the S6 isn't a bad choice.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Got my S6 in the mail this afternoon. Phone is slippery as poo poo but thankfully I had some grip tape lying around and it's perfect now :downs:

Seriously though, buy a case or something for this phone.

e. Also I haven't had much time to play with it but I can see that I can't charge the phone on the Vu if it's sitting vertically. I have to turn the phone on its side and then it charges lol.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

ChiTownEddie posted:

I don't find it slippery in 3 days of use, but to each their own. However, it is a bummer to hear about the vu not working 100% with it since I just ordered one :eng99:

It does work with it, it's just that I have to turn it to the side but it charges. As long as it charges I'm fine.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I forgot to mention that it might be the case I'm using but that would be weird because it's super thin*****

Also I had to go into developer options and tone down the animations because compared to my Nexus 5 the S6 had a lag with the defaults.

Edit: **** I took the phone out of the case and stood it up vertically. Charges just fine so it is the case. Oh well, no biggie. Bit surprised like I said since it's a pretty thin case (http://www.spigen.com/brands/samsung/galaxy/galaxy-s6/galaxy-s6-case-neo-hybrid.html).

Whatever, as long as it works on its side I can live.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 7, 2015

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

hooah posted:

Well, I guess I'm going back to my N4. 1 GB of RAM just isn't enough these days, I guess - I can't be sure of SwipePad will be there when I swipe in or not, and it did on fact get killed while in the foreground once this morning. I'll just have to deal with crappy battery life.

I'm sure my wife will be happy when I tell her its time to sell the phone I got a month ago!

What phone did you have again?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

comper posted:

I found that just leaving my phone in airplane mode has solved any battery or malware issues I've had with my android phones. Nothing comes in or goes out and the battery lasts for days. I still use an antivirus and firewall just in case, though.

Is this a joke or are you serious because lol

E. It's just early. I got it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Exitlights posted:

I'm torn on the S6 vs. S6 Edge. To any owners of either: do you wish you had gone for the other version, don't care, or are you glad for the one you picked?

Regular S6 is just fine and while I admit the Edge is cool I'm glad I stuck with the regular.

Aside from that just go to a Best Buy and try them out.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Are we going to be able to get green S6's that work on AT&T at all? I mean, I'm pretty sure AT&T won't be selling it, but will we be able to buy one outright from somewhere?

I can't believe I'm considering a phone with TouchWiz on it.

From what I've been told, the green S6 isn't even coming out in the States.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Okay so is it just me or is the drop down widget or whatever (the now playing thing in the notification bar) not updating when I hit next track on the S6?

It will play the next song but it doesn't update with the proper title.

App in question is Spotify.

E. Looks like a restart fixed it. Guess it was an issue with dual screening Spotify with something else?

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 8, 2015

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

evilskillit posted:

So I've got two questions that might figure into which way I lean on a new phone.

First, I installed Google Now Launcher on my HTC One M7 and it by outward appearances it replaced HTC's interface with something that looks and acts more like stock android. Does that work on every phone? If I got an S6 and installed that would it be a similar user experience to my current M7?

What's the over/under on HTC updating the M8 for the next 24 months? Considering performance is basically equal to the M9 the only reason to not consider the M8 for free on contract vs $200 for the M9 is whether or not I'll actually be able to get updates past around mid 2016. Given the way Android has been going I wonder how much it'll matter if I don't.

I cracked the screen on my M7 a while ago, otherwise I'd just keep using it and try to hold out for the M10 and S7, maybe I still can, but between the cracked display and lack of Sprint Spark support I would like to get something else.

For the first question yes for the most part. You'd have the stock launcher basically on the S6 but Touchwiz runs pretty deep on the S6. It's not terrible and better than before but you should fiddle with one in a store and see what you think.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

It looks like it fell on the floor or something. Can't vouch for my S6 because I have a case on it though.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

The Facebook app has messaging back?

Also I was in best buy today looking at the S6 and S6e. The Edge spillover on a screen that size looks awful. Both phones had the hand feel of of an iPhone 4. Gross.

Kinda? If you have the messenger app installed you can use messaging through the regular app.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

thebushcommander posted:

Maybe someone else with an Edge can answer this. I have the people edge on and edge lighting on etc. I have contacts added to them as well. When I get a call from these contacts and my phone is face down the edge lights up as expected. It doesn't light up with any of them text me and it doesn't do the missed notification stuff as seen in this image - http://www.samsung.com/common/images/galaxys6/pdp/e_2_edge_pc.jpg - All of the options are enabled for it, it just doesn't seem to work fully. I've tried using stock messaging app and hangouts as I think the notification type might be different (it's a different icon) but it doesn't seem to matter.

Anyone have any idea why it might not be working? Also, the fingerprint reader, is there a way to make it ask for the finger print every time I turn the the device on? Currently I have the lock screen set to fingerprint, but it only requires the actual finger print every 5 minutes. So if I pick up the phone, do something then put it back down and then back up again in a minute it will unlock with no security.

Should be an option under security settings to lock the phone automatically after a certain time. If you lock the phone by hitting the power button it's automatically locked.

Okay so my question is, how do I check which app is pulling in GPS? I keep getting a notification on my S6 about "location set by GPS" I've never had this happen on my N5 and I don't have any different apps from my norm. So I assume some Touchwiz thing is the culprit. How do I figure it out?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Ragingsheep posted:

Under Privacy and safety > Locations, is Locating method set to use GPS as well?

It's set to GPS, WiFi, and Mobile by default.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

CraigSlice posted:

I'm probably going to grab a moto x today since its the last day the coupon works, but have two quick questions.
Is it worth the extra 50 to go from 32gb to 64gb?
And what is a good small case for it, also just thinking of going caseless.

Upgrading from a nexus 4

IMO I wouldn't spend the extra $50 for 64gb but I'm the kind of person who is alright with 32gb and all my stuff living in the cloud/using Spotify etc.

I guess what I'm saying is that it depends on your use case. Also if you use a lot of apps it might be good. Apps are getting bigger and stuff.

Also I guess if money isn't an issue yeah go for it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Can I turn off that app resizing thing Touchwiz does on the S6? I have no use for it and sometimes trigger it by accident.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

lelandjs posted:

WTF? The Nexus 6 doesn't even have it yet (I'm guessing it's being held back for Project Fi reasons).

It's one dude who says he has it on his Edge. Who knows if it's real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

datajosh posted:

It's real, but it's not an official rollout or a finished update. It's been posted in the T-Mobile S6 Edge forums on XDA for anyone with that particular phone that feels brave and/or crazy.

Oh word? That's cool. Hope some news comes out officially on a roll out.