Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The UI on the LG phones isn't any better than touchwiz.

Anyway consider an external battery that connects to the USB port on the phone - sure this is a bit inconvenient but actually replacing the battery in the phone is even more so (remember you'll have to wait an eternity for the phone to reboot)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

ArgaWarga posted:

Got one, it's a massive pain in the rear end to use. Would much rather hot swap.

You can't 'hot swap' a battery in a phone - you need to completely shut the thing down, pry off the flimsy battery door, swap the battery then wait for the phone to boot. Then do it all again to recharge the flat battery.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

My mums Xperia P (temporarily as it turns out) died on Christmas day so it got replaced with the current 5" Moto G. So far so good - she loves how much faster and how much better the screen is.

The question is is the Android 5 update going to ruin everything? It hasn't popped up yet and I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to just stick with 4.4.4 anyway

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Lollipop has actually been fine on my N4 - battery life is still terrible, but it is consistent and there haven't been any random shutdowns or drains.

I was going to change the battery out, but after using my mothers new Moto G I'm kinda tempted to change to one of them instead. The G is cheap, feels good and the screen is better than my 4. Also the camera would be fine for my usage.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

LastInLine posted:

For all you N4 users with the battery issues, it's been two years, it's time to upgrade. You can open it up and change the battery if you want (might as well replace the USB daughterboard while you're at it) but really, why would you? It's old, lacks LTE, and is on the far end of support.

Everything else works fine and depending on where you are LTE may not be a big deal at all.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

b0nes posted:

N6 and the 6+ are the same size. The screen is bigger on the Nexus though because it almost has no bezel.

Nah the Nexus is quite a lot thicker and a lot wider

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Decius posted:

It's not as tall though, a few millimeters shorter

Actually not true - it is just a hair taller than the iPhone

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's <3mm thicker and 5mm wider. Are we actually counting that as a "lot" in this day and age?

Definitely enough to be signficant

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Michaellaneous posted:

Thanks for the help regarding my broken S5, got it to the store and they sent it in for repair.
As replacement for now they gave me a Nokia with a physical keyboard.

Holy poo poo 2000 called, they want their phone back.

Count yourself lucky - our work loaners are still HTC Touch2s with tiny resistive touchscreens (and missing styluses). A physical keyboard is a downright luxury compared to that hell.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Web Jew.0 posted:

Its build quality is much nicer, metal frame instead of all plastic, but it has vastly inferior battery life and camera, and notably worse screen. Get the Z3 Compact if they want a smaller phone.

The screen on the Alpha is actually surprisingly bad - not just compared to other similar phones but much cheaper stuff like the Moto G and even the Nexus 4. It's the first thing you'll notice when picking one up.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Decius posted:

Well, the N7 2012 is approaching 3 years of lifetime, and it was only a middling SoC in the first place. My iPad 4, which is of the same generation, only with about 2.5 times the computing power isn't doing great under iOS 8 either (although it aged better than the N7 - for 300 € more it better be!). 2012 to 2014 was still a lot of development and improvement in terms of computing power in mobile devices. Only this generation (SD 800/A8 and forward) has it slowed down a lot in favour of better power management.

The first N7 was from about halfway between the iPad 3 and 4.

While the iPad 4 isn't bad the 3 is pretty much as awful as the N7 these days (bad enough that all our work ones have been retired). This is a bit of an outlier though as the the iPad 2 still works quite well.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

bull3964 posted:

It also makes it impossible to easily cycle from Vibrate to Silent with disabling your notifications completely.

The notification is still there in blocking mode, it just doesn't make a sound

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yes, I've already flashed the stock ROM, reset it, all of that. I'm pretty sure it's just Lollipop screwing up.

I'll flash back to 4.4.4 if this keeps happening, I guess.

The thread says it is a problem with Google Play Services and is independent of Android version so flashing back will not help (assuming the thread is correct)

bull3964 posted:

Does it light up the notification LED?

Yep, although there is a different issue where the notification LED doesn't reliably light (regardless of mode)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Personally I'd look at getting a proper camera.

Something like a second hand Canon S90/95/100 shouldn't cost much and will give you a great deal more flexibility.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Makes it easier to swap out the battery when it wears out a year or two down the track.

Not useful for day to day though as shutting down and restarting the phone is actually more painful than just plugging into an external power source (especially if you need to swap the now flat battery back into the phone to recharge it)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I don't know about Google Music, but Spotify works just fine even on a cruddy 3G connection. Also you can always cache the albums you're currently interested in locally

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Daily Forecast posted:

Also, as far as batteries go, "shut down phone, swap battery, power back up, full charge in less than 30 seconds" will never be less convenient than "plug phone into external battery, wait three hours".

So then once you get back to civilisation (or at least your car) you have to swap the dead battery back in and wait for it to charge, then swap the other battery in and wait for that to charge too. Whereas with an external you can just plug that in and merrily keep using your phone.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Didn't 5.0.1 fix the video thing anyway?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

the nicker posted:

Not even a little.

Works absolutely fine for me.

Then again I only ever ran into the original issue on 5.0 once

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

sirbeefalot posted:

I've had almost no issues with 5.0.1 on my '13 N7, except for last night when the video bug appeared again. Restart fixed it. Only time it happened since I flashed 5.0.1 whenever it was available on the Factory Images page.

I just saw my first post-5.0.1 launcher redraw at 534 hours up.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Yep Facebook and Google are engaged in some sort of dispute about how sync should be handled so nothing Facebook related syncs at all on Nexus devices.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Some UI annoyances aside for me:
5.0.1 on the N4 = fine
5.0.2 on the N7 (2013) = fantastic

Apparently the .0.2 release wasn't supposed to fix the memory issues, but I can say my own tablet is behaving much better than .0.1 and at least as good as any other release I've had on it

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Guillermus posted:

I'm curious about touchwiz haters (I don't like it but I can stand something like the note 4 version, rooted and with less bloat :v:) if Samsung finally decides to go closer to AOSP.

I'm more interested in what 5 is going to look like on the Xperia phones.

I know the general opinion around here is the current Sony skin is lightweight and unobtrusive but drat is it ugly.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

What's wrong with the radio on the N4?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Early on it had problems from one of two directions, either with wifi dropouts or with poor 3G reception. I don't know if the bands used had any bearing on the problem but in general it would seem that for every patch released to address one would exacerbate the other.

Qualcomm released a lot of patch sets for it but of course not all made it into official software for the phone. I'd have to imagine after about a year they just left it in whatever state it ended up as since I got the feeling it wouldn't ever be "done".

The only reason I'm aware of it was that the radio had all kinds of issues that were N4 specific when Google had to go out of their way to break LTE support so it took a trip to XDA to figure out exactly what ways things broke.

I asked because I've had mine for two years and have had absolutely no issues - it certainly isn't any worse than my work iPhones at least.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Red Warrior posted:

Bugger. Various suggestions for using Daydream or an app called SafeCharge to try and prevent it, I'll give those a shot.

Apart from this my Nexus 4 has still been working great, was going to try and get to the end of this year and see what was available. Well maybe I'll try and get one of those Moto X Valentines Day discount coupons.

On mine I think it happens because the power button itself is worn out - most of the time it is okay, but at certain temperatures it seems to take a real mashing to wake the phone (sometimes it is a fine line between mashing waking the phone and turning it off completely).

One thing you can try is just pulling out the charge cable which should wake the phone immediately.

I guess 2 years is pushing it for a phone these days - nothing seems physically capable of lasting much longer than that.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

stickyfngrdboy posted:

The HTC one M8 is a great phone, but for some reason is not included in the op. I'd recommend it to anyone. The camera could maybe be improved upon but even thats got some great features for idiots like me to play with.

I'm actually beginning to think the E8 (the M8's plastic cousin) is actually going to be the best replacement for my dying N4. It's a couple of hundred cheaper than the M8 and has a normal 13mp camera that apparently works okay in most situations which leaves only the awkward power button location issue. Well that and a somewhat cheap shell but I really don't care much about that.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Oh god I just bought an LG G3 to replace my N4 and the software is already pissing me off. Guess I should have known better.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

What is pissing you off?

Minor stuff
- Fonts in the notification shade are massive no matter what system font size you choose
- Notification bar in general is too big and the icons look bad
- All the available font options are ugly (where did Roboto go?)
- Lockscreen animations are all awful
- Dialer looks awful

It's just finished downloading the Lollipop update so maybe that changes some of the above

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Bob A Feet posted:

half the screen is unused space with a camera button in the middle.

Depend on what aspect ratio pictures you are taking - if it is 4:3 (default) then obviously the full screen can't be used for the preview.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

From a couple of pages back:

seravid posted:

edit: ^^^^^ Lollipop helps a bit, but not enough. Do you have the playstation icons yet? If not, here's how they're going to look (compared to the regular, not clown-sized icons for your convenience) :

Right after the Lollipop update I still had the old ICS icons, but a subsequent update bought the massive Playstation style.

I actually don't mine them - sure they look retarded but they don't actually impact usability in any way. The notification area is a much bigger issue as the giant text/icons/clock/brightness slider means that despite the giant screen less fits up there than a normal sized phone

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The G3 does seem like a good phone for the price (unlocked it is several hundred dollars cheaper than any of the other flagships) but it does suffer from some infuriating issues with software, and while the screen may have heaps of resolution and looks pretty good it definitely isn't what I'd call great.

As a total aside this is definitely the worst screen burn I've seen:

Display Galaxy S5. You'd think Samsung would have noticed by now and designed a demo reel that avoids this from happening.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

nmfree posted:

I just realized that Mighty Text charges more per year ($39.99) than if you pay monthly ($3.33*12=$39.96). :confused: Anyway, it's a handy service, but not $

No monthly is $4.99 per month, yearly it is $39.99 (yes their math doesn't work)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

:(:hf::(

If it wasn't for me being so entrenched in Google/Android I'd probably get an iPhone, if only to encounter new and exciting ways for poo poo to fail.

Actually broken WiFi is a relatively common bug on iOS too.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Where is this setting? I've wanted this for a while, I hate how the Bluetooth button on my headsets launches the borderline useless LG voice app instead of Now.

Its under Voice in the settings menu for Google Now. God know whether it actually works on an LG given how generally awful they are with software.

Sent from my LG G3

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Huawei doesn't have any real flagship devices - even there higher end stuff is pretty rubbish (especially on the software side)

Not saying Oppo is any better though

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

dphi posted:

Just a quick question about the LG G3 - I'm reading reviews that say the battery is amazing and reviews that say the battery is terrible. Any consensus here? I need to get my wife's lovely old S3 replaced and battery life is one of her larger concerns.

Somewhere in the middle - standby is really good for me, but actual screen on time kinda sucks.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Should have kept my 2012 Moto X.

That came out in late 2013 (unless you mean Droid X or some such nonsense)

Anyway on my LG (which has similarly lovely software) there is a tickbox under Display - Notification LED - Downloaded apps that you need to check to allow non-LG apps to use the LED so have a hunt through the menus for anything that looks similar. Also Lollipop's 'Do not disturb' mode seems to stop the LED from working so make sure that's switched off.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Chadzok posted:

Thanks mate.

There is no back button. there is rotate, save, set as.., nothing else. None of the physical buttons on the phone help.
Why am I such a failure at life?

The back button is the capacitive key to the right of the home button - it is pretty much impossible to see if the backlight is off for some reason.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Yep mixing two capacitive buttons with a physical one was pretty stupid but it's pretty much Samsung's trademark now so I doubt they'll change it.

I think there is a setting somewhere to keep the buttons lit while the screen is on, but once you know they're there it's kinda pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Mad Katter posted:

Since updating to Lollipop, my Nexus 5 has had really shocking battery life, and it seems like it's getting worse. It's at the point where I can't even get a full day out of it before it's flat.

Why on earth is Google Services using up so much of the battery, and what can I turn off to help save it?

The graph looks really weird as well, because it was on charge from about 11:30 last night. Why is it charging so slowly between around 1:00am and 4:00am? It seems to pick up quite rapidly at about 4:00-5:00am. Is my battery screwed?

Do a factory reset.

You absolutely shouldn't have to, but it is usually the easiest way to resolve this type of mess after a major version update.