Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Do you have an eSIM or something like that? I've no experience of them.

No eSIM, I checked my mother's phone as well (my Pixel 5) and nothing there either. She's also on Fi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

NuclearWinterUK posted:

Those settings are determined by your carrier. For whatever stupid reason some carriers lock you out of them. You can turn off 5G by entering *#*#4636#*#* in the dialler and changing preferred network in one of those menus. You'll want to change it whatever it's currently set to but without the NR (NR is 5g).

Well poo poo. It's probably T-Mob doing it or something. Fi is basically a T-Mobile MVNO anyway now.

Thanks! I'll turn off 5G and see what's up.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

sourdough posted:

For sure, Gboard on iPhone is essential

The iOS keyboard sucks but Gboard on iPhone sucks just as hard. It's the same layout and doesn't even try to be different.

If I'm not mistaken, they CAN'T be different and the keyboard is forced to be like Apple's.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I've never had touch response issues on the iPhone 12 Pro Max or the 13 Pro Max but the keyboard situation is so bad, I went back to Pixel.

The Pixel 6 Pro is so nice, curved screen and all, I can't stop picking it up and just...using it. Also the battery life is approaching 12 Pro Max for me, I charged it to 100% yesterday at about 5PM. It's currently 9PM the next day and it's at 29% with heavy use and AdGuard running. Though I might switch to NextDNS because I don't need the app running like I do with AdGuard.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone have the official Pixel 6 Pro case? I'm looking at the Light Frost one and wondering if they're worth it. The Spigen I got is nice but the frosted one looks better....does it protect too or just...not really?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Aardvark Barber posted:

I understand, but they should say that, and not lie directly to me. "It is shipped from another store on the way. it will be there within 24 hours." is one of the direct quotes. If they don't know, tell me that.

bull3964 posted:

Nothing about the supply chain is functioning normally at the moment and customer service can only respond in a way that they expect it to work. They don't get the notice that there are 5 delivery trucks and only 2 drivers, only that they know it should only take 24 hours to get somewhere after it is loaded.

They absolutely got a message via e-mail, Gateway, or whatever in-house service they use. The question is are they allowed to tell the customer (most likely not). I worked CS for seven years and we got all kinds of stuff that we were told "Yes, this is happening, just escalate it to a higher up / don't acknowledge it or get into a discussion with the customer". Like the time that almost everyone from West Corporation's Work at Home division never showed up for work with ProFlowers so we were swamped.. don't acknowledge the customer's long hold time, don't say why, just help them and read off script.

They're probably just reading what the computer is telling them. Even if it's wrong, they still have to read it to you as it's a part of the script and can't tell you anything else that the computer isn't saying.

It sucked, that job REALLY sucked and I'm glad to be done with it.

EDIT: Also fun fact, you're 100% always being recorded even if they say you "MAY" be recorded. Every call is recorded so that team leads can check the progress of employees. This is how I got busted many times for going off-script to help people. Also Virgin Mobile never let us say the word "fraud" to a customer.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 11, 2021

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ochowie posted:

I have a Pixel 6 Pro and I'm noticing a weird issue. When I get a notification the Messages app and I click on the "Reply" button I get prompted to unlock my phone but once I do I get sent into the phone without the ability to reply. What's happened in the past is that I would click Reply, unlock my phone, and then I would stay on the lock screen and have the ability to reply to the text. Is there a setting I'm missing that's preventing this?

This happens to me too and I find I have to open the notifications to then be able to reply. It's kind of weird and brokenish.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

What's a good external battery that'll charge the Pixel 6 Pro? The 10,000 mAh Anker I have now takes literally a week to charge to 100% for some reason and I'd rather not have to deal with it if I can get something better. It also will be used to charge the iPhone 13 Pro Max and iPad mini 6.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Literally?

Any 18w USB-PD pack is capable of charging the Pixel 6/Pro at full rate once the battery passes 50% charge.

If you want the fastest charge rate from 0-50% buy this.

https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mobile-accessories/phones/20a-battery-pack-dark-gray-eb-p5300xjegus/

No matter what you buy, the phone will take 40 minutes to go from 90%-100%, so don't go chasing anything that you think will do better than that.

Thanks!

Yes literally a week.

It's went from 10% to 20% and it's been charging since Monday. I think something's wrong.

I'll give that a shot though!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

sourdough posted:

You probably shouldn't use that battery pack, sounds like it's completely shot and best case scenario it doesn't work anymore and worst case it's going to explode itself or anything you charge with it lol

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.

FogHelmut posted:

Could be related to this -

I had a set of Anker Powerline cables that would charge fine, but would cause intermittent connectivity issues with Android Auto. It was a 3-pack of cables, and I tried more than one - all with the same issue on both my Pixel 5 and Pixel 6.

I should've clarified better, it's the battery pack itself that takes forever to charge, not the phone.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone know how to either permanently disable Airplane Mode, disable Safe Mode, or in the least, get a phone that works on Google Fi and works for an elderly person who doesn't text or use the Internet?

My mother is using my Pixel 5 and somehow keeps turning it into Safe Mode and can't turn it back even if she turns it off and on again. She doesn't trigger Safe Mode by holding down on Power Off so I'm not sure what's going on.

She almost got stuck at work and couldn't call for help because of this error so I'm kind of looking for a phone for her that doesn't have Safe Mode or something.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Uthor posted:

The thing I did on my mom's phone (she'd do things like turn off WiFi and then eat up all her data watching YouTube at home) was removing everything that I could from Quick Settings. That was where she was tapping stuff. Going in the menus and doing that work would be so much harder.

Though Android 12 changed it so you have to have 6 or 8 Quick Settings, so I had to put in a bunch of stuff that wouldn't actually mess with her experience.

This would not remove the options from the menu, but that would require digging through a bunch of options and make it harder to do randomly.

Otherwise, I'd take a look at custom launchers, see if any of them can remove these options. But I don't think there's anything that would mess with the menu.

I took Airplane Mode out of the Quick Settings but it's still somehow going into Airplane Mode regardless and somehow resetting into Safe Mode.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

For me, iOS was great except for the keyboard. I ignored the Notification Pane (and I still do on my iPads) but the keyboard is the worst goddamn thing. It kind of made me buy my Pixel 6 Pro...but even that has problems as the wireless charging stopped working on it. No idea why but don't want to play RMA roulette with Google again.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone had issues with their Pixel (6 or otherwise since it's happened to me across devices) where the Assistant doesn't listen as the microphone won't pick up your voice? It's as if the mic is just broken or something. I tried to get it to find out a song that was playing and the bars showing that your voice is being picked up weren't moving at all and if they DID move, Assistant would respond back that it wasn't working.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I don't know how widespread it is this time but someone on Reddit is saying they were unable to make a call to emergency services when it was an actual emergency on their Pixel 6a. I know last time it was caused by Microsoft Teams and was fixed via Microsoft's update and I believe the January 2022 update.

Not sure what this one is about but I figure it should be known in case someone else runs into the problem. I haven't had the issue on my Pixels but I also never used Teams either.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

This worked. I'm on 13 now!

Does it factory reset the phone still or is that not a thing on the stable release that's given via beta program? My mother's Pixel 5 and roommate's Pixel 4 XL both got the update but I'm still waiting on my P6P.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Nope, no reset. I opted-in, had the update available OTA a minute later, and after installing, opted-out. No wipe.

bull3964 posted:

If you leave the beta while on a stable release (which you get at the end of the beta), it doesn't require a factory reset.

Sweet! Doing this then.

Thanks a bunch.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.androidpolice.com/wear-os-backups-coming/

Looks like they might finally fix the problem I've had with Wear OS.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm so loving annoyed at this. Goddammit. Okay thank you for listening. Back to 1080p60.

Your second link has people claiming it happens on 1080p60 as well.

Personally, I've just taken to using my iPhone for video and Pixel for photos. The Pixel constantly overheats while recording video past 10 minutes or so that I just can't reliably take video on it anymore. I don't know if I've got the audio issue though but I did a quick check on the Google Photos website and it doesn't seem to show up.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I love the new thread title.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'll have to test all the modes next time I'm at a show. 1080p30/60, and 4k30.

I don't record 10 minute long videos so don't have that issue. I've had no heat issues on my Pixel 6 pro. And I definitely am not carrying two phones around haha

The heat issues for me only show up when recording video. It automatically stops the video and says that the phone is too hot to continue. I appreciate it doesn't just up and shut off the phone at least. Also the wireless charging has been dead for months now. I'm not having good luck with this phone. :v

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

I just add them to my password manager, but if you want a devoted program then 2FAS. Microsoft if you're a person who uses a Microsoft Account on Windows, Xbox, Office, whatever; because it can auto submit MS tokens without needing you to enter them.

How is 2FAS vs Authy? I've only used Authy but switching looks promising after the breach..

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

No one brought up Qi2 yet?

https://www.theverge.com/2023/1/3/23538131/qi2-wireless-charging-apple-samsung

In a rare move of opening interoperability (likely to hasten the day when they can eliminate the charging port altogether) Apple is working through the WPC to essentially bring MagSafe charging to an open standard called Qi2.

Qi2 will not only have magnetic alignment built into the standard, but more robust and standardized power profiles. It will start out going up to 15w but they have plans to go beyond that.

Oh this is nice.

I love MagSafe on my iPhone and would love to see it on Android too.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I have never been this bored with Google I/O before... I'm not sure if they really think only developers care about I/O or if they truly think this is what people actually want to see.

The AI stuff in Photos and Maps was cool but the rest seems boring especially for the audience there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Hasn't it always been a relatively software/developer-focused event compared to the October product-focused one? I guess the more they bolt AI onto their products the more relevant this all is probably gonna be though.

Usually it's more software focused, yah but mostly that's on Android and some bits on AI but now it was like 60% AI and 35% Android... looks like it's 5% devices now.