Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Ordered my Pixel 3 last night. Excited to upgrade from my OG Pixel. Got the shipping notification this morning, and it's shipping from literally the next town over from where I live. I wish I had the option to just stop over on my way home from work and pick it up. But I guess I can wait until tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Let my guard down ever so momentarily and ordered a P4 XL.

I had the smaller OG and 3, but made the move to the XL line for the battery bump.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Well, poo poo. An unintended consequence of upgrading to a pixel 4 was losing my preferred navigation method. I can only use full gesture nav or 3 button. The 2 button (back button plus pill) is gone.

I've tried getting used to gestures, but the back function is annoying as hell. Any time I'm in an app where I can swipe left and right between pages I inadvertently trigger back if my finger hits too close to the screen edge. And when I do want to go back it triggers inconsistently.

Give me my dedicated back button while still letting me have a pill to swipe between apps you bastards!

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
The face unlock on my Pixel 4 XL has been noticeably slower the last couple of days. It looks me 3 tries a couple minutes ago to get the drat thing to unlock using my face. Never had this issue with the fingerprint scanner. Anyone else experiencing this behavior recently?

Frankly, I'm disappointed in the phone in general. The battery is mediocre, face unlock is unreliable, and its already noticeably slower switching between apps compared to when I got it at launch. I miss my Pixel 3.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
What's a good alternate to Hangouts? The drat thing won't stop crashing.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Clear the app storage and try it again?

e: I'm seeing elsewhere that people are having Hangouts crashes when trying to send pictures, so maybe it's not just you today.

That's exactly what's happening. I cleared everything. Restarted my phone. Even uninstalled and reinstalled the app.

But it sounds like it's not just me.

Edit:. Worst part is I adopted a dog today and want to sent EVERYONE pictures.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Thanks for the links. And you're god drat right I can.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I admittedly don't pay attention to phone tech news, so the message I got today that Google is killing hangouts has come as a bit of surprise. The last time I tried using a different messaging app on my Pixel 4 was an unmitigated disaster. Does anyone have any good suggestions or articles on how to properly move over to an alternate app? I trust the nerds here more than randos I find googling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
drat. My Pixel 4 XL has started randomly turning off and won't turn back on for 15-30 minutes. 3 times now in the last day. I've only had the phone for 14 months. I'm kinda pissed.