Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Hi everyone, just a couple of small questions for those of you in the know :)

I started to download the new Mortal Kombat game on my HTC One M8. The download completed, but when it started to 'download additional files' the phone told me that there was no more space. I now have the feeling that the game is taking up space somewhere on my phone, but since it never finished installing I can't see it anywhere. Is there any way I can find the incomplete file anywhere and get my space back?

On a similar note, I have an SD card with plenty of space. How can I set the phone to automatically save apps there instead of the main phone storage? The main storage has almost 8GB in 'other' which I assume is the OS, and 6GB in apps (which doesn't quite add up).

Thanks!

henpod fucked around with this message at 10:38 on May 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Not super-important but it seems since the various updates to the HTC One M8 camera, a fun feature is gone?

Before I used to be able to put in a filter, such as sepia, pixellated or whatever. This seems to have gone now? I wanted to send a selfie with my face hilariously distorted but the little box with all the different filters is gone. Has it been moved, or removed completely?

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
I don't know when the update happened and whether it's Google or HTC, but I really don't like how my gallery on HTC One now has all the silly whatsapp pics and other random images that find themselves onto my phone?

Is there a way I can just have it display the pictures I've actually taken on the phone as default instead of every single drat image that I receive as well?

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
So my HTC one m8's vibration has packed it in. Im going to do a backup, move photos to the SD card and restore factory settings to see if that fixes it. Probably won't, but i would need to do that anyway before sending off to HTC to fix.

Whats the easiest way for me to backup and restore app data? I will be goddamned if im going to lose my peggle savegame.

Thanks!

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Hi guys,

My post got lost in all the discussion so asking again from you smart people :)

My HTC one m8's vibration has packed it in. Im going to do a backup, move photos to the SD card and restore factory settings to see if that fixes it. Probably won't, but i would need to do that anyway before sending off to HTC to fix.

Whats the easiest way for me to backup and restore app data? I will be goddamned if im going to lose my peggle savegame.

Thanks!

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

LastInLine posted:

If you're not rooted, Helium is not only the easiest way, it's the only way. If you are rooted, Titanium is the way to go.

I have a question meant to ask you: How is Peggle still working for you? It broke for me under Ice Cream Sandwich and never ran again after 2012. As far as I knew it was long since abandoned by EA.

Hmm, I tried Helium but it just kind of got stuck whilst it was backing up. Tried it a few times. Might uninstall and give it another shot I guess. For save games, maybe I can just copy and paste the game folders back in after the reset?

I'm running the latest software released on the HTC One and Peggle is working totally fine. I'm pretty happy that i've brute forced my way throughout the entire game without paying a penny :getin:

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

LastInLine posted:

Wait, is this Peggle Blast? I was talking about the original Peggle which had no IAPs.

Anyway, I've never used Helium, I just know that's your only real option. It's actually just a GUI over the ADB backup feature and developers can choose not to allow that to work on their stuff (no idea if that's the issue though). I'll admit I have no idea how to test if copying the folder will work without copying the folder to another device and seeing if your saved game comes up, sorry.

That's cool, I will try copy stuff over and if that doesn't work and then whatever Helium manages to do. It is surprising that the backup doesn't take app data into account. Probably some technical reason that I don' tknow.

And yeah, its Peggle blast. Its actually do-able without the IAP. If you run out of lives, just fast forward your phone calendar a day ahead and take it back and you have a new set of lives. Works for any app really that needs you to wait. Takes like 5 seconds haha.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
I know this place isn't tech support and this seems like a stupid problem to have, but you guys are a smart, good looking bunch so thought I would see if anyone knew.

I have a S7 Edge and every time I try to back up to samsung cloud, it fails with two messages saying ' a server error has occured'. I have a Saunsung account tied to a gmail address, and can log into that fine, so it definitely exists. Have tried over wifi and data connection. Backups to Google seem to work.

Why the gently caress won't it backup?

henpod fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 4, 2017

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

nimper posted:

We're sorry, to enable backup services you will need to factory reset your device. Yes, we are aware of the irony.

Haha, gently caress that I will find another way.

Ola posted:

Try some basic stuff, like resetting your password and/or emptying the local app cache. Something is fucky with your account or the local app, resetting various things is like banging on an old TV. It isn't a proper solution, but it probably works.

Thanks, will give this a shot!

No idea what you're on about mate.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Hey guys, a fairly easy one here. My gf has a galaxy S6 and it is slow as gently caress and lovely. So, I want to give it a good ol' factory reset and start it from clean. What's the best way to do this without losing all of her pics and contacts? I know there is a backup facility on the phone , but wouldn't that just put all the crap back on that was making it slow in the first place?

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Just a quick one, guys. I need to buy a budget smartphone, and there are a lot out there. Does anyone have any experience / knowledge about the Xiaomi Redmi note 8 or Galaxy M20? Are the comparable? Budget is around 200GBP...Thanks :)

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

Khablam posted:

Depending on your data needs, you can often pay a net of ~£200 for a Pixel 3a on contract. i.e. (contract price - SIM-only price) * 24 = ~£200
To buy outright a Nokia 6.2 is a good option, or a Samsung A40/A50 if you want an OLED.

Thank you :)

I'm kinda settling on the Xiaomi Note 8...does anyone have experience with this phone? Not for heavy gaming or power using really. Is the performance / screen good?

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

Incessant Excess posted:

The related Note 8 Pro is really well built for the price and pretty snappy, doesn't work with Android Auto tho so maybe look into that if it's something that's important to you.

Thanks. And, last question. The P30 Lite looks pretty good, but will there be a problem using the Google Play store or any Google apps? Is it a decent phone overall?

henpod fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Mar 6, 2020

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Bought my wife a Redmi 9T, and you know what, this thing is legit. For the price, its running super smoothly, screen is nice and battery seems beast. Now my S7 Edge looks like poo poo and I'm probably gonna get the 9T as well.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Hey guys,

What do you think about the Mi9T?

I'm coming from an S7 Edge as it's starting to feel a little old, and i'm a sucker for no-bezel phones. This seems to be a top pick for the midrange budget (which is me) and just wanted to reassure that even though this phone is nearly a year old, it still has the chops?

I know that's really subjective based on what you need it for, but for me its just general use. I am not a power-user, gamer or anything. Just want a fast phone with a nice screen, headphone jack and a good battery - and this one seems to be really good. Tried one out at the store and it seemed snappy and fast.

Has anyone else bought this phone in the last few months? Is it likely to be reasonably 'future-proof'? There's always going to be a new phone coming out, but just want to see if this is the right choice :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

Thermopyle posted:

I doubt many people here have much experience with that phone as the thread feels fairly focused on North America.

Mostly, for a mid range phone, the Pixel 3a (or probably the shortly to be released Pixel 4a) is what is recommended here.

I can't say anything about the Mi9T, other than it has better specs than the Pixel from what I can see. I would bet a decent amount of money that the Pixel will take much better photos, feel just as fast in most usage, and receive support and software updates longer.

Fair enough. The overall impressions and reviews are actually really favourable for the phone, in terms of build, performance, amoled screen, battery and price. I'm sure a Pixel is better in some fundamental way, but i'm a shallow man and have been determined that my next phone has very small bezels.