Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

You're looking for something like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Skarsnik posted:

I'm so sad mine is sitting unused now

Google :argh:

yeah :(

On a related note, anyone want to buy 2 gently used Tylt Vus?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

uPen posted:

Could you really go back? I find my iphone 6 screen to be absurdly small for reading/watching stuff after getting used to the nexus.

Yeah, I was surprised at how quickly I got used to my 6p. My Nexus 5 feels like a baby phone now.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

I think so.

So, after getting a new Android device I always feel like I need to keep track of a list of things that are broken and retarded about Android and the device so I can send a sternly-worded letter to Google HQ. The 6P I've owned for a week or so probably has the shortest list, so that's good!

My big irritations right now are:

1. A large portion of of the time there's no sound on new notifications...just a vibrate.
2. It won't stay connected to my Moto 360. Factory reset the 360 and it works good for awhile, then it just starts disconnecting all the time and won't reconnect.
3. It's way too big and slippery, but I'm resigned to this.

The bluetooth on the 6p is kinda terrible. I mean, bluetooth in general is kinda terrible, but the 6p's is worse.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

LethalGeek posted:

So this happened apparently:

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/4457705?hl=en#nexus_devices

How long your Nexus will get updates

After a certain period, Google can no longer guarantee that a device will get version updates or security patches.

Nexus devices receive:

Android version updates
For at least two years from when the device became available on the Google Store.
Security patches
For the longer of 3 years from availability or 18 months from when the Google Store last sold the device.

They said this was the policy ages ago. They're just now putting a date to each phone.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

LastInLine posted:

First off, you should consider Authenticator Plus so moving 2FA tokens isn't such a hassle but no, I've never had issues turning it off and then back on. Granted I only have five tokens but resetting them, while time consuming, has always just worked.

Why is authenticator plus better than Authy?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

pr0k posted:

Got a refurb screen from amazon 'cause mine is cracked. Installed everything in the new screen because that's how nexus rolls.

New screen displays fine but touchscreen worketh not. Put cracked screen back and it works. Fuckin waste of an hour and a half.

Should I try the new screen again or just return it and try another one? Did I gently caress up or is the new screen just lovely?

The digitizer is usually glued to the screen. Did what you buy have both?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

chippy posted:

So do we actually have any idea when N's coming out? Seemed like everyone was just expecting it with the August security patch, but it's not. I'm getting ever closer to just installing the developer preview out of impatience.

The first phone to ship with it is coming out next month. So maybe before then?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

LastInLine posted:

So if it was iMessage. Yeah, that's what everyone wants.

And there has been no indication that it will do so. Spent a good 45 minutes googling to see if Allo supported SMS and every link was someone saying "it should!"

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Nougat just isn't that different from Marshmallow. I do like the reply system set up in notifications though.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Bluetooth has been working A-OK on my 6p through months of N beta usage.

Honestly my only complaint so far is that the Amazon Underground appstore has decided that I have never owned any of its apps and no I can't open any I downloaded through it prior to the upgrade and no I can't redownload any of them once I've uninstalled them thank you very much. Which is I guess more of a cautionary tale about using nonstandard appstores than anything. I'm only losing out on TuneIn Pro and a couple little games, but I guess some guy online lost hundreds of dollars worth of navigational apps the week before a trip.

As someone that just updated to nougat with the release, Bluetooth has been working much better on my 6p than it ever did in Marshmallow.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

7.0 image is out for the 6P, is this a new build? Maybe this the fix for the halted rollout.

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

It is a different build than the "stable" build that got pushed through the beta program. I'd assume that it has the September security patch + whatever fixes caused the delay.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Hadn't seen it reported, but I just saw a commercial with a vaguely phone shaped rounded rectangle, the Google logo and October 4th.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

On the other hand, since I broke down and flashed the NRD90U OTA to my 6p, I've been getting way better battery life.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Even if you're on a legacy plan, they set an end-cap on how many upgrades you can get. We used up our last two a couple of years ago. Interestingly, they offer no-interest monthly payments.

The Android Police article says they're enterprise listings, so the $199.00 et al prices may be a special business thing.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

I have to say that the 6P has been the best phone I've owned despite its massive size.

And by "best" I don't mean in the obvious "of course its the best its newer than all your phones"-sense. I mean in the "how close it comes to meeting my expectations"-sense.

The 6p is the best Android phone I've ever had and real close to the best phone I've had period. Having a phone with a decent camera is really nice.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Splinter posted:

As a Verizon customer, the last Google phone I owned was a Galaxy Nexus. Verizon hosed the Nexus nature of that phone by being many months behind Google with the OTA updates. Is there any sign that this won't be the case with the Pixel?

Nope! No guarantees that the software situation will be any different. Although the Nexus 6 was on verizon and it didn't have the problems that the Gnex did, so maybe they're better now?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

withoutclass posted:

Iirc it was before the Nexus line had all radios included. I can't recall if it was because of licensing or what.

LTE was a relatively new thing at the time and Verizon was still mostly CDMA.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Borrowed Ladder posted:

After a research filled weekend and a few hours or so rooting and rom'ing my old Nexus 4, I ended up buying a 6p off Amazon. I just couldn't wait the 6 weeks or so to get a Pixel, this N4 feels like a little baby's phone. Conversely, i am worried about how big the 6P is, it seems much taller than the LG G4 i'm coming from. Hopefully I made the right choice, though i'll get my G4 back in a few weeks once LG repairs it.

I went from a 5 to a 6p and had the same worries. I got over it pretty quickly and my 5 now feels like a tiny phone for babies. Also get a case cause the 6p is slick af.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

For those with the Nexus 6p, have you upgraded to 7.0 yet? Any issues?

Yes and no. Battery is slightly better too.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Grumpwagon posted:

Oh, one other thing to ask about with the 6P. Does Bluetooth range/performance still suck with nexus devices?

Range is not great. I have a set of bluetooth speakers at the office, and it doesn't do well with them unless its right next to them. That's at least partially the speaker's fault though. Nougat really improved how bluetooth performs for me. I used to get a lot of drops in the car, and times when it wouldn't connect, or would connect and not play anything and those issues have gone away since I updated.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

RZA Encryption posted:

I took this on my walk to work today. Seriously happy with this camera.

That's real good. I've been happy with the 6p's camera, but that's great. Makes me excited for the Pixel 2 next year since I'll be due a new phone about then.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

In non-pixel news, I got the email that my Google Home had shipped so I'll be able to talk to the wall in a couple of days and it'll finally answer back.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

CFox posted:

Nah the line access fee is always just $20, doesn't matter if you own the phone outright or are on a payment plan.

yeah, I didn't think they did subsidized phones any longer. They dropped the price of the plan by :20bux: but if you want a new phone from them you have to buy it outright or pay the monthly payment.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

sleepwalkers posted:

When did that change? That eliminates a huge reason monthly payments made sense...

Yearish ago? You pay less for each line if you own the phone, but it's usually higher with the device payment

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

RZA Encryption posted:

lol

Didn't they even make it so you had to turn the phone off to swap attachments?

The attachment holds the battery in, so it'll get turned off when it loses power.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I checked Droid life and they are saying only Pixel not the XL

The Verizon press release says both, but doesn't give a price for the xl. Sounds like it'll get a discount, but not down to $10 a month.

http://www.verizon.com/about/news/get-latest-google-pixel-phones-daydream-virtual-reality-headset-and-now-google-home-verizon

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

hooah posted:

Speaking of the Verizon Pixel deal, does anyone know what time it'll be available to order online?

Has been all day. The Pixel xl is $20 a month, which is just enough for me to not bite.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Viper915 posted:

So can I buy a pixel on a Verizon monthly plan for $240, pay for like a month of service, then cancel the plan and pay off the $240 or will it then revert to full price for payoff? Want to use it on at&t.

No, the phone is $650. You agree to pay that over 24 months ($28/month). Verizon is then going to give you $410 in statement credits over those 24 months. Which brings it down to $10/month. You can pay it off early, but then you lose out on however much of the statement credits are left.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

nimper posted:

I fixed your image.

That's certainly something!

Indeed, what is it doing exactly?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Ugggggggggggh I hate you Rogers, I'm so jealous

Having switched back to verizon, now I'm excited for this update.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

My first thought is that you probably need to be more specific. Just saying "Play band name" will play "band name radio". You might try telling it to play a specific album, or make a playlist of those songs and tell it to play that playlist.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Wait, is the 5x about to get wifi calling on Verizon or something?

Maybe? It sounds like 7.1.1 is getting all the Verizon stuff they added specifically for the Pixels meaning wifi calling and native visual voice mail.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

vulturesrow posted:

You have to trade in a phone though, right? I live my S7 Edge and I just got it a few months ago but dang I want a Pixel.

At Verizon, it doesn't take a trade in. I'd assume best buy is the same, but can't find that deal on their website.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Hey, other than battery life, the gnex wasn't that bad. (the battery life was terrible)

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Tim Whatley posted:

Messing around with my new Pixel. Love it.

Having a difficult time trying to add a new screen to the left of my home screen. I know how to turn off the Google App, and I know I drag an app to a new screen to add one, but this only works on the right side. Furthermore I can't drag that new screen to the left side of my home screen. Something I'm missing?

Not really, the google now cards to the left are always there. You can only add to the right.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Desk Lamp posted:

Unless it's been recently changed, the Google launcher doesn't allow blank screens.

No, and hitting the home button will return you to the screen 1 right of google now.

Personally, I like that, but if you don't, you're forced to switch to an alternative launcher.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

fletcher posted:

Why does the lock screen of a Galaxy S4 turn on when you set it on top of a Galaxy Tab A in just the right spot?

NFC antennas making contact would be my guess.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

Those of you with Assistant should definitely try telling it, "What's my day look like"

That's probably the coolest thing I've seen so far from it.

I do this every morning with my google home, its pretty nice. Now if it could read from multiple calendars...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

LastInLine posted:

This is good advice. Nothing will do more to make you buy good phones than to try to work around the shortcomings of bad ones for a while.

The next phone you buy you'll take long term support into account.

Yup, almost bricked my old Droid 3 a few times trying to update it. Been on a Nexus ever since. Even the Verizon Galaxy Nexus was an improvement.