Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
M8 GPE on 5.0.1

Seems alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So the M8 is getting Lollipop today (At least developer and unlocked versions are)
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/01/13/unlocked-developer-edition-htc-one-m8-devices-getting-lollipop-today/

Anyone seen anything about what version they exactly are using? Probably nor 5.0 right? Even the M8 GPE is on 5.0.1 already.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Haha I didn't even notice, it is of course an HTC. My previous phone was lg hence the mistake.

Lollipop on the M8 is pretty drat good. No memory leaks as far as I can tell, nice configurable quick settings, a real silent mode and not just vibrate. Slap the google now launcher on it and you have on of the best lollipop experiences you can get right now.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

ilkhan posted:

Some M9 leaks
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/02/24/two-alleged-htc-one-m9-images-leak-courtesy-upleaks-video-teased-tomorrow/

Its interesting, to say the least.
The on-screen power button is a bit of a "What the gently caress were they thinking?", but who knows.

I'm still focusing on the Z4, but if it has wireless charging it'll at least be worth a look.

I guess the on-screen power button could be useful for us M8 owners as the real power button is kinda hard to reach. Doesnt really make sense for the M9 though if the leaks are true and they moved the button to the side.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

GWBBQ posted:

You get some funny things with it trying to automatically parse highway directions. If a sign says the highway is toward NY City instead of New York City, it will tell you to, for example, "Take I-91 south toward North Y. City"

Im german and while driving around in Wales the phone couldnt deal with the english street names. It pronounced everything very...german. Except for Avenue...it pronounced that one French!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Is there an easy way to tell my phone to disable Wifi when i leave home and reactivate it when im back?
I dont need it at work but i keep forgetting to reactivate it and eat up my data.
Its a rooted M8 on Lollipop if thats important.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Right now Google Services is eating so much power on my M8 that my Moto 360 will outlast it by several hours. They've been taken of the charger at the same time. If Google wants to use your battery, they dont gently caress around!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So I've installed a google play services update from Androidpolice without even noticing that there are different version for different phones. What can I say, I wanted to get rid of that android wear notification.

Can anyone with a M8 tell me what the last three digits in the version number of google Play Services are? The ones after the -

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

henpod posted:

Not super-important but it seems since the various updates to the HTC One M8 camera, a fun feature is gone?

Before I used to be able to put in a filter, such as sepia, pixellated or whatever. This seems to have gone now? I wanted to send a selfie with my face hilariously distorted but the little box with all the different filters is gone. Has it been moved, or removed completely?

When you're in the picture editor you can swipe from the left for different effect categories, you can also scroll the list of different effect on the bottom. I still got filters and all that useless crap on my M8.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Great work on that translation guys! :downsbravo:

Edit: oh come on.

Shai-Hulud fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 5, 2015

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2. Their pretty decent. A lot better than the first Yoga tablets.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Variable_H posted:

Great post combo.

Goddamn you autocorrect :argh:

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
The pricing for Motorola phones in germany just pisses me of. The 2015 Moto G costs 249€, and thats for the 1GB/8GB version.
The Moto X Style will reportedly cost 499€ for the 32GB Version, 30€ more if you want to customize it.
Yeah i get it, the US prices don't include tax and stuff is always a bit more expensive here, but come the gently caress on!

Edit: Ok, to be fair, the S6 in 32 GB did cost 699€ at release, so its still cheaper. But if the dollar were a bit weaker it would almost be worth it to import the phone from the US.

Shai-Hulud fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 12, 2015

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
You can now configure your Moto X Play on the european Moto Maker. Shipping seems to happen at the end of August.

Sorry US residents, guess you cant have cool phones :smug:

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Sony just announced their Z5 phone lineup including a Z5 Compact (yay), a "normal" Z5, an the Z5 premium, a 5.5 Inch phone with a 4k Screen, because that's apparently something people want.

https://www.androidpit.com/breaking-sony-unveils-new-xperia-z-devices

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

incoherent posted:

Motorola literally went from 0% to overtaking microsoft at 3% of the uk market by launching the original moto G there. There must be a flub in the pipeline, they're serious about the uk\europe.

Its still pretty annoying. I was pretty much waiting with money in my hand on the third and i'm still sitting here waiting.
I mean, yeah it hasn't even been two weeks and its not the end of the world that i'm not able to buy a phone, but come on Motorola, just take my money!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
The Moto X Style is now available for preorder in Europe. Shopping date seems to be mid-october here in germany.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Anybody got a Moto X Pure/Style with the "Champagne" frame or a walnut back? Im curious how it looks in the real world.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Are there any good dual-sim phones? Friend of mine needs one and asked for advice but I never really checked on that stuff.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

LastInLine posted:

I think where you are matters. Probably also things like what he's willing to pay and what carrier might help too.

I'm in Europe, Germany to be precise. Price doesn't really matter. Its his first Smartphone and he's willing to pay for quality (you know, within reason).
So far i've found second gen Moto Gs and the Huawei P8 Lite. And a whole lot of weird chinese stuff i wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole...

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I guess the best way to make sure my new phone has all the Wifi passwords the old one had is to restore it from a backup of the old one right? Is there a way to check if a phone is backed up correctly? Or just force a backup to make sure its all backed up?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
HTC announced the new iPhone!
For 399$ you get a 5' 1080p, Snapdragon 617, 3GB Ram, 32 GB storage phone.
It's got a fingerprint scanner, a micro SD slot and marshmallow out of the box.
There's also 13 MP camera with OIS.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/20/9567471/htc-one-android-6-0-marshmallow-iphone

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Luminous Cow posted:

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Moto X Pure, but I have a quick question before I get it. Can apps only be installed to internal memory, or can they go on the SD card? I don't use many apps, and my biggest by far is Spotify so I can download music for those long stretches of road with no service. Just seems silly to spring for a 32 gb when I can just get a 16 and go get a 64 gb SD card.

Not as far as I can tell. There's only an option to move pictures, videos and music to the SD card. And I don't see an option to move Spotify music either.

Edit: though I guess this will change with marshmallow and its weird "integrate SD card into phone storage" thing. But who knows when the X will get the update.

Shai-Hulud fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 21, 2015

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Oh right, the option is under the app itself in settings. I was checking under storage for some reason.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So I have a Moto X Style and its pretty awesome. But there's a weird bug where sometimes it just ignores the priority mode. I got it set to " do not disturb" after midnight through that moto app thing. But as I mostly go to bed before that I just set it to priority mode till the next alarm. Most of the times it works great but sometimes it just vibrates in the middle of the night for some random email. This usually wakes up my wife who is pissed at me for not silencing my phone properly. It doesn't make a sound though. It only vibrates. Anyone else with this problem?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So after owning smartphones since 2007 I've finally managed to kill one. Dropped my two month old Moto X Style on the floor and shattered the screen. So back to Motorola it goes for some fixing.

In the meantime I bought a cheap phone so I'm not completely cut off from the world.

5' 720p screen, 1,3 GHz quadcore processor, 1gb of ram, 16 GB of storage. Pretty decent for just 120€.
Best thing is the name though.
I am now the proud owner of a Wiko Rainbow Jam :haw:

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
The gently caress. Motorola took out half the functionality of the Moto app in marshmallow. I'm not sad about the DND feature cause that's in stock Android now, but I was actually using that "hey you're at work now I'll just set myself on vibrate" feature :(

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

xcore posted:

I just got my wife a new phone. It's a Sony Xperia Z (it doesn't have any numbers). It's brand new in box and I paid $100AUD for it. It's to replace her dying Nexus 4. Couple of questions?

What's the reputation of this phone? Good phone for its time or not?

Is it an upgrade to her Nexus 4 specs wise?

How waterproof is the waterproofness they are touting?

What do I Google when looking for accessories or tech support for this phone? Is this a "Z1" or is the Z1 different to the "Z"? Related to that, any recommended phone cases for it? Do any of the other Z models have the same chassis and therefore have compatible cases?

The Xperia Z had a kinda poo poo display and battery life if i remember correctly. Its not terrible but the Z1 was were they got it right.

Specs wise its pretty much the same as the Nexus 4. Just with a bigger Display and a higher resolution.

Its water proof that in a way that yes you can actually drop it in the toilet or dunk it in a glass of water and it wont care as long as the ports are closed. Supposedly you can even ust it for underwater photography.
Be aware that if it ever had its display or backside replaced (not uncommon as both sides are made of glass) the water proofing is most likely compromised.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So about that Device Encryption. Is it a thing is should do or does it kill performance? Im on a Moto X Style.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
In Germany they did a test with replacement batteries for phones and laptops. They bought 12 batteries from 3rd party sellers via amazon. 12 out of 12 were fake :haw:

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that's a "feature" of Android auto. It forces Bluetooth because it uses it for phone calls. As far as I know there's no way around it.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Zotix posted:

How good is the Gear VR supposed to be for VR? It's not really going to be comparable to the Occulous or Vive is it?

Its surprisingly good for a phone strapped to your face but its no match for a 600$ headset powered by a powerful computer. But it also doesn't cost as much as a 600$ headset and a powerful computer so its a neat entry level thing into VR.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking about terrible manufacturers.
OnePlus phones have been killing SIMs here in germany lately. Every 8-9 weeks your SIM in your OnePlus phone would just die without any explanation.
Carriers have now figured out why this is happening.
SIM cards can send a request to the phone to ask if certain features of the SIM are supported by the phone. On a normal phone it just replies with the supported services and the SIM card can use those and skip the others.
Well OnePlus never settles for just some supported features! Their phones report back that they support everything! Which they don't...
So the SIM tries to use a feature the phone doesnt support and gets an error message. Then it saves this error to the SIM, then it asks again what features are supported, well every feature of course!, then it tries to use them again, then it gets an error message and saves the error on the SIM...
This happens regularly in the background day after day after day...
The SIM can save about 100000-200000 of those errors before just dying, this equals to about 8-9 weeks of just having the phone running.
OnePlus has been "investigating" why this is happening for weeks now.
Affected carriers are now giving out special SIM cards for OnePlus users that skip the error saving so they survive for more than two months.
Never settle! for a regular SIM!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So I got my sister a Moto G3 for her birthday cause she managed to kill the last phone I got her. Now she's annoyed that the phone doesn't have a notification LED.
Is there a way to, I don't know, flash the display regularly when theres a message waiting or something like that?
Just something for her to tell if theres a notification without touching the phone?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

bull3964 posted:

The updates to the Moto X Pure then slowed to a trickle with 6.0.1 being a no-show and no security updates since Feb patch.

Mine is still on the November patch without available updates :(

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Mine is a Moto X Style which might make a difference? It really shouldn't though.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Zom Aur posted:

Oh sorry, i forget that the style and pure are actually different in that regard. Yeah, the style has the June update at least.

My Style is still on November 15 without any OTAs available.

And theres seems to be a 6.0.1. update floating around poland. So i guess its not long off.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Zom Aur posted:

Might be some carrier fuckery then. Or just android fuckery. You should at least have gotten the february update by now.

And yeah, there's been rumors about 6.0.1 since before march. That particular rumor is from around then. There's also another rumor about it being rolled out in south america. Both haven't actually turned out to be anything substantial yet as far as i know. Given the time frame, I'd think it'd have been rolled out by now if it were true.

Maybe its a country thing. I'm in Germany. Can carriers even gently caress with that on an unlocked phone bought from the manufacturer? I mean, it looks like they can do it with nexus phones in the US, but what about civilized countries?

Edit: I just checked and my first gen Moto G is on the march security update. This is kind of annoying

Shai-Hulud fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 24, 2016

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So Ars has their Moto Z review up and it seems to be a nice phone with useless Motomods addons but this part kinda stuck out:

quote:

The new Motorola has a terrible policy when it comes to software updates. Motorola has stated the Moto Z will not be receiving Android's monthly security updates. Since the shipping version only contains the May security patch, Motorola will be shipping an insecure phone right off the bat. There's a whole list of known vulnerabilities for June and July, most of which the Moto Z will be susceptible to. This is completely unacceptable for devices costing $600 and $700.

Yeah go guck yourself Lenovo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

LastInLine posted:

At no point did Ron seem to say it was a nice phone.

Fair enough. Its more my opinion than the one from the review. But I really like thin phones so I'm biased.