Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Civil posted:

Also:

Phones that matter, but you're poor:

Moto G LTE - Usually around $200 or less.

For use with AT&T/Tmobile/derivatives, not Verizon/Sprint/derivatives.

Eh, 5.0 really hosed with the Moto G's. Multitasking is pretty much impossible on one now - I have a 2014 Moto G and after Lollipop simply cannot keep both Play music and Maps open. A loving travesty really, especially when my Razr M that had the same amount RAM had absolutely no problems doing such simple things like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Bob A Feet posted:

I feel bad trash talking cyanogenmod because for a while they were a very viable option for almost every android phone, the only option for some android phones that came with broken software out of the box, and for almost every phone that wasn't a nexus, the only way to get on a current version of android.

that came with a lot of drawbacks, even in the stable versions. but that was usually better than the brokenness that was there to begin with.

I feel like this hasn't really been the case with Android since like 2012, though -- when phones like the Galaxy s3 and Droid Maxx's came around Android kinda hit a good state on a lot of devices for average users. Seems like there's less reasons every year to root your device and flash a custom rom or whatever.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Bob A Feet posted:

Agreed. I would say there is no reason to root now unless you gotta have lollipop right now (aka no one).

Lollipop finally hit a good state on my Moto G with the latest OTA update that Motorola pushed out. They've pushed out three OTA Lollipop updates in a month and a half - a crazy pace I've never seen any OEM do. It was needed though because the first two were horribly broken and wouldn't even allow basic multitasking. The last one seems like it cleared things up; I can finally Play music and use Navigation at the same time again.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

kazmeyer posted:

So I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Moto G LTE, and when doing a quick Google search to make sure I'm getting the right version, I see all this noise about the 2nd gen Moto G LTE leaked on a Brazilian site. I've been using babby's first prepaids before this so I don't have any idea what release cycles are like; could the updated LTE phone be coming out anytime soon, or is this a "couple quarters away" kind of situation?

Could be soon, but the only difference between the 1st gen Moto G with LTE and the second gen are the bigger screen and front facing speakers.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

bronin posted:

Plus better camera.

Yeah, I guess on paper the camera on the second gen is better but in reality the improvement is barely noticable (2nd gen moto G is my daily driver).

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

LastInLine posted:

The two groups are merging because they're the ones that no one uses. The only thing that's going to define a "winner" is Apple including one and until they do it doesn't matter what happens in the space.

Apple will probably just make their own standard for this poo poo and not user any of the existing ones because hey it's work for them before so why not?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Lblitzer posted:

I'll argue that Lollipop hasn't gone OTA for the 2nd gen but I flashed it anyways and it runs like poo poo. Not that Blu phones are any better (except the ones that do run a Snapdragon), they still have some great devices if you choose other than a Moto G.

Yeah, I'm at the point where I'd rather have a nice stable phone than BLEEDING EDGE SOFTWARE!!! It really sucked when my Moto G got an OTA to Lollilpop and I suddenly couldn't use maps and music together anymore without them kicking each other out of memory. I eventually gave up on the Moto G and bought my friends Galaxy s4 and I've been way happier even though it "only" has 4.4.

deadlyrhetoric posted:

Is there like an Android portable music device that isn't my mobile phone?

I use the Google Play Music subscription to listen to music and manage playlists. I know that I could download my library but I'm constantly updating my playlists and don't want to have to manually sync them on my PC (and don't think that I could without hitting the 2 download limit). I'm looking for a device on which I can sync my Google Play playlists and then go running or train with it. I'd rather not go train with my HTC One.

Pick up a used Moto E from somewhere, throw an SD card in it, tell Google Music to store your music on the external card and boom.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

drat, that's a sexy device. Price is steep, but crazy audiophiles have been known to throw away $500 on "premium" cables or some poo poo sooooo

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

BoyBlunder posted:

Hahah, keep dreaming, buddy!

Lollipop isn't worth it, anyway. At least not right now.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Thermopyle posted:

Which is why it was not appropriate for Google to update the 2012. They took a perfectly fine device and made it objectively worse.

Of course if they hadn't, people would have complained about not updating it, but Google should have just dealt with it.

Yeah, they would have caught a lot of poo poo for not updating a ~*nexus*~ device but the 2012 nexus 7 was already dog poo poo slow and had trouble doing simple things like playing music and using chrome without the music skipping, popping, and buzzing before it's 5.0 update.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Endless Mike posted:

Nothing is more crippling than Touchwiz.

Eh, I can't live without muilti-window now.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

RZA Encryption posted:

What apps do you commonly put side by side?

Awful and Youtube, Chrome and Twitter etc. Pretty drat useful.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Kidney Stone posted:

So, dilemma time for me.

My work has offered the employees a mobile phone for private (semi) private use. What we can chose between is a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 or a iPhone 6 Plus.

My wife already got a Note 3, and I do like the size of it - as far as I can see, boththe phones offered from work are roughly the same size.

So, what should I chose?

They're both great phones. Pick whatever one will fit better within the ecosystem that you use. Use a lot of google services? Note. Have a predominately mac household? iPhone.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
You can get rid of the unknown source notification on Galaxy s4 and s5 by holding down the notification and force closing the setup wizard. That'll get the notification to go away until you restart.

As for the phone working, you need to enable roaming in the settings. Since it's a Verizon phone and not a Verizon sim, you are technically roaming to the phone. I use a Verizon Galaxy s4 on cricket this way with absolutely no problems.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
You guys must be mistaken. LastinLine's phone works just great, yours should too! :v:

Motorola was smart to hold off their lollipop updates until they fixed some of the nastyness.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

LastInLine posted:

To be fair, I don't run high memory applications simultaneously so the memory leak has never affected me.

Also Motorola released Lollipop for the 2014 Moto X, 2014 Moto G, and the 2013 Moto G and these problems have not affected those devices either.

Considering 5.1 is coming out on Android One devices soon I imagine the fix is around the corner but I do understand that's cold comfort to those having issues. Of course, these are Nexuses so it's trivial to flash back to KitKat and wait if the problems are causing too much pain.

Edit: Does the alarm clock not working affect apps that use the 5.0 Alarm API like Timely? Seems like it shouldn't.

The lollipop memory bugs absolutely affected the 2014 Moto G. It took Motorola two additional more lollipop updates to fix that.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
New Galaxy's are sexy as gently caress. To bad about the SD card though. Funny that they got rid of them when everyone else added them back.

Samsung supremacy, suck it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Three Olives posted:

It's funny how this is now the prevailing wisdom when it wasn't that long ago that phone makers were very upfront that phones were getting bigger because LTE chipsets and the processors that Android needed not to run like dog poo poo required bigger batteries and the batteries were driving screen size.

I'm not saying it isn't true that consumers don't happen to like big screens but it was more a happy coincidence, they were forced on us and in a world that the carriers weren't trying to push their LTE networks with immature chipsets and scared as poo poo of Apple's growing power might have been different.

This isn't why big phones happened at all. Big phones happened because they were a way to differentiate Android phones from iPhones.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
My favorite useless google now feature is the parking spot card. Thanks to google now, I can see that I parked my car somewhere in this large bubble that covers 3 streets! Wow thanks google!!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

LastInLine posted:

I really hope someone defends this because I've been trying to come up with a way to even theoretically use this card and I haven't come up with a way. It would have to involve drinking and a multiple uses of public transportation but then I wonder whether or not it would be able to distinguish the secondary transportation from another car ride.

It's the most baffling thing. It tells me I'm parked at work when it knows I'm at work with the zoom level set at literally a circle five miles in diameter. How could this possibly be of any of use to anyone?

The only thing I can think of, is city parking. I know a friend of mine that went into NYC to take the NYPD test and forgot where he parked his car. Walked around for like 2 hours before finding it. I guess the card would have helped him out in that specific instance, but I can't think of anything else.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

axeil posted:

Ah okay. Are Motorola and VZW good at getting updates out? I've only ever had Samsung/VZW Android Phones (S4, VZW Gnex and the :lol: Droid Charge) and the update speed is atrocious. I ended up rooting/unlocking my S4 just so I could load stuff myself.

Motorola has been better lately. It's fairly new for them though - they never used to be this "good" about updates.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Reverse Centaur posted:

Most big cities have multi-level parking either underground or stacked high. I usually can't even get a cellular signal where I park because I'm three storeys underneath a tower.

Yeah, who knows. He parked it on some random side street somewhere in Brooklyn irrc.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I've been using messenger for almost 4 years now, no problems here.

That's good enough for the lollipop defense brigade, should be good enough here too!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

hotsauce posted:

I've found that just leaving all the shitware apps turned on (disabling nothing) results in better battery life these days. Seems disabling system apps causes the OS to endlessly try to use them, burning battery.

Used to have like 15 disabled apps on my Note 4. After LP yesterday, I just turned them all on. Smooth sailing.

This is the correct answer.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Tunga posted:

You needed Light Flow uninstalled for work? I'm not following.

Thermophysical needs voicemail notifications for work, so turning off the voicemail notification box in lightflow is not an acceptable solution.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

nerve posted:

Is there a consistent way to remove something like Google play music from the notification shade? It's sitting in there and I'm not listening to anything, but when I swipe right on it it just bounces back and stays. Won't let me do anything.

E: Immediately after posting this I just pressed the pause button in the shade and it disappeared

Mine has been doing this lately too, and it's pretty annoying. I think the behavior was introduced after the most recent update. Sometimes there's no little X in the corner to click on either, so you're at the mercy of the Android gods to make the notification go away eventually.

swampface posted:

My S4 just updated to lollipop last night and now the messaging notifications don't actually have the message in them anymore:

"Messaging: New message" isn't the most helpful notification. Anyone know how to fix this? Is it time to just move to a better texting app?

Check the new notification/privacy settings that lollipop introduced. They're probably set to "restricted" or whatever they're called.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

MC Hawking posted:

Take everything written in this thread with a gigantic grain of salt as most of the regular posters are in a never ending arms race to troll the poo poo out of each other with increasingly stupid word strings.

Go to a store. Fiddle with phones. Find whichever phone you like the best. Buy said phone.

This is a good post.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Cultural Imperial posted:

The latest Facebook app features the ability to turn off notifications. This and hibernating with greenify seems to be jacking up my battery life hardcore.

You could always turn off the notifications. At least since the great big 2011 redesign of the facebook app.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

comper posted:

Do people really get 10+ (or even 8-10) hours of SoT with the Turbo? I thought the battery was on par with a Note 4 which would usually max out around 6 hours of SoT for me. 10+ seems absurd unless it was just sitting there on a black screen.

I've pulled ~5 with my 2014 Moto G before. 8-10 doesen't too farfetched tbh, as long as a number of conditions lined up (were they hammering cell radios? In an area with great reception? etc).

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Longbaugh01 posted:

Hi. Today I received the Lollipop OTA option for my at&t LG G2.

I ignored it because I wasn't ready. At some point my phone decided it would upgrade itself automatically and without my input while it was locked and in my pocket. Needless to say I'm not entirely happy about this.

Has anybody ever heard of something like this happening?

It probably wanted you to actually hit an "ignore for X hours" button, instead of just ignoring it. Chances are the notification you got was something like "The phone will restart and update in 10 minutes" or whatever

LastInLine posted:

A carrier or OEM doing the right thing and forcing users to be on the latest software? No precedence I can think of but it's a welcome step.

LastInLine posted:

Forced updates should be the norm and there's no reason at all not to do it. Users should not have the option to forgo security patches and API updates because it puts them at risk for things they do not and cannot understand.

As for the linked article, I have a tough time believing it's anything but cheap NAND dying. Reading through the thread, none of the afflicted users had this happen immediately upon update but rather some time later. Their train of thought seems to be "Well the last thing that changed is that update and now my device doesn't work," which does anything but point to it being software issue. It's far more likely that it was dying anyway and they're just connecting dots that don't exist.

Of course all the users in the thread are on Lollipop--that's the current software release. I'd imagine somewhere near 100% of the iPhone hardware failures Apple has had to deal with in the last few months has been on devices running iOS 8.

If anything the current tempest in a teapot about this is a great example of why updates should be forced because anyone reading it thinking the software is causing hardware failures days, weeks, and months later and therefore chooses to forgo updating really shouldn't be in charge of making such decisions as they clearly lack the understanding necessary to make an informed choice. :colbert:

You're missing the point. The poster wasn't mad that his/her phone updated, the poster was mad that the phone updated when he/she wasn't ready for it. It would suck pretty hard if he/she actually had to use the phone for something but instead it was in the middle of an update.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

uninterrupted posted:

That last point really strikes me.

What happens if forced updates are the norm and someone can't call 911 because the phone is updating? Why would Google/OEMs/carriers ever expose themselves to that kind of liability?

This is why most phones make you either hit a button to update, or wait until your phone restarts (or turns off/on).

E: it could have been some flukey poo poo like the phone kernel panicked and restarted on its own, triggering the delayed update to install. Wouldn't be too far fetched.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
You can't install apps to the SD card on a Moto G. I have the second gen Moto G, and honestly I'm not hurting for space at all. I have an SD card for music/photos (second gen has an SD card slot) and I have a ton of apps installed. No games though.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Tunga posted:

So, umm, I'm not saying you're wrong but I eventually dug up this page where Motorola says I can:
https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/101006/p/30,6720,9151
Maybe you can buy most apps don't support it?

That's media, not apps. If you store media on the internal storeage somehow, the second gen moto g gives you an option to transfer it to your SD card without you having to muck around in a file manager.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

TraderStav posted:

Thanks, for those who were used to it on the left was it tolerable after a period of T
transition or no?

You won't even notice it after 3 days. You're over-thinking it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Thermopyle posted:

I just factory reset my phone because I was having weird issues that I didn't feel like troubleshooting. Plus it gave me a chance to reevaluate what apps I want to keep installed.

This process again reminded me how poo poo the backup/restore situation is on Android. I'd love to take an image of my phone how it is right after I have it set up just like I want with just the apps I want installed with all of them configured how I want.

Yeah, it really is poo poo. I don't want to hear the excuse of different OEM's gently caress around with Android too much; just give me a way to keep the apps I have on my phone with the settings inside of them. Stuff like wallpaper and phone specific settings I don't really care about.

You can say that app developers have the option to include user settings and such in ~*the cloud*~ so they'll be restored when you download them again, but pretty much no ones uses that feature so Google should probably just finally step up with a solution.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Tunga posted:

One of the problems is that Android apps were historically allowed to poo poo their settings/data all over the SD card if they wanted to. It's hard to back that up and attribute it to the correct apps, especially if it is intentionally shared data or large media files.

Mooktastical posted:

You said it yourself though, that's a historical issue. Apps are no longer allowed to poo poo random garbage out all over your sd card as of KitKat.

Apple has had the full backup functionality for as long as I can remember, so Google's leaving it out is completely inexcusable at this point.

Yup, Google could have figured some poo poo out in the 7 years Android has been out in public now.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Google Butt posted:

I'm using the multi window function or whatever they call it on my s6, top half of the screen has a live stream and forums on the bottom and I'm blown away with how well it works.

Yup, don't know why Google hasn't made that an ~*official android*~ thing yet. Multi-window owns on my Samsung tab.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Desk Lamp posted:

Multiwindow on touchwiz 4.3 was probably the best implementation so far, no need for apps like Linkbubble. Allegedly it works the same way on the Note 4 Lollipop but I can't get it to work that way with Awful which is the main reason I liked it so much.
E: or Facebook now that they baked in their own lovely browser into the app.

You can turn off the built in browser for Facebook in the settings.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Vykk.Draygo posted:

The other 99.5%.

Normal people don't buy nexus phones :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Do apps need to include support for Google's multi-window solution, or do they just work?