Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Does anyone use Google Voice Recognition for anything other than English? I'm learning a new language via Duolingo, but it doesn't have any speaking exercises so I want to use speech-to-text instead.

I enabled the secondary language in the voice settings menu, but I can't seem to change it when voice recognition is activated. The menu opens and I select the language, but it remains set to English. Changing my primary language doesn't work (i.e. still always set to English, even if it's a secondary language).

The weird thing is I had it working just fine for maybe five minutes, but this started happening and I have no idea what's going on. Googling it doesn't seem to offer any help.

Using KitKat 4.4.4 on a Nexus 4. The language I'm trying to use is Swedish if that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

LastInLine posted:

Is there a language setting inside of Google Now?

I'm not sure. I don't use Google Now.

baka kaba posted:

I just tried it and I'm not sure you can force a language, I think it's meant to auto-detect. I tried saying jag har jordgubbarna and it sometimes works, but my accent is bad so it likes changing it to stuff about YouTube. If I start talking in Spanish it does better (I guess that means I do better :shobon:)

You might be able to give it a hint by selecting a language, but that's a complete guess! It's the same behaviour in the Awful app too, so it seems like system-wide behaviour? Better get badass at them pronunciations!

Yeah, I figured it auto-detected, but it would be nice to force it. At least then I can wrestle with similar-sounding Swedish words instead of it just thinking I'm speaking English while drunk off my rear end :sigh:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I was going to make a "My N4 battery works just fine :smug:" post, but then remembered my current phone is a refurb that's less than a year old.

I got it when my first N4's battery was doing that thing where it swells and might explode in your face :v:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Gesture typing suddenly stopped working for secondary languages after Keyboard crashed a few days ago. Works fine in English, but it's completely broken for Swedish (behaves as if it's disabled).

Using Google Keyboard on Nexus 4 running KitKat 4.4. I tried restarting the phone and dis/enabling gesture typing. I'm not sure what else to do :shrug:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm trying to move a few files around my phone (using Windows Explorer) and it just hangs with the message "Waiting: MotoG3 is busy."

Why is it always busy? How do I stop it from being busy? Hitting the phone against my desk did not work.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Alan_Shore posted:

Windows drivers are a pain. Use Airdroid to upload and download files, it's way easier.

I don't see how anything could be "way easier" than just plugging the phone in and using it like any old media device like I did with my previous one :shrug:

I guess I'll just use Airdroid. Thanks.

E: Looks like Airdroid can't do what I want (move things from one folder to another) without a Premium account so it was actually less effort to copy things to my computer, delete the originals, and re-copy them back into the desired folder on the device. Wow thanks Windows and/or Android!!

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 28, 2015

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

DemonMage posted:

Are you just trying to move files around locally? That's what File Explorers are for, like Fx. You don't need your computer for that. AirDroid is for moving files phone<->computer.

Good to know. I still was able to do it without issue on my previous phone, though...

Thanks for the tip.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

LastInLine posted:

Why are you moving files around on your phone? What corner case are you encountering?

I just accidentally placed some custom sounds in the "Ringtones" directory and wanted to move them to "Notifications" where they belong. Seems Android is picky about where sounds are stored.

I always end up doing exactly that every time I wipe or get a new phone because I'm dumb.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I just upgraded my Moto G3 to Marshmallow and tried doing the "use SD card as internal storage" thing. Every time I try to do it one of two things happens: the formatting process times out at 30% or it "successfully" formats, but the card becomes listed as corrupted and is unusable. Anyone have any success with this?

This is the card I'm using. I had a lot of issues trying to set it up for external storage too, so maybe it's just a bum card. What a nuisance :(

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Red Warrior posted:

Note a bunch of the reviews saying it's a fake card.

Always buy SD cards from a reputable source, not third party sellers.

Wonderful :suicide:. Oh well, I only spent $15 on it at least.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Daily Forecast posted:

I'd return yours and try again.

The card is a few months old now and I lost the packaging. Any chance of that working now?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If you do get knockoff garbage from a third party seller, Amazon will go out of their way to make it right. They are very serious about their sellers not loving around.

Thanks for the tip. I'll see if I can report them.

For the record, people on that review page are complaining about incorrect capacity reports and whatnot. Mine didn't have any red flag issues aside from trouble getting it to format error-free (which I eventually managed after a while). I double checked the packaging, serial number, all that poo poo against the product page on Samsung and it seemed to check out.

I guess counterfeit electronics aren't as easy to detect as they used to be :shrug:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Moto G3 with Android 6.0:

Every now and then my phone starts to run like garbage (very unresponsive, things take a long time to load, Facebook et al only show a blank white page, etc) so I restart it. Every single time I do this it softlocks on "Optimizing App 1 of 1..." and to get around it I have to wait maybe 10 minutes and then force shutdown and restart again. If I do it too soon it'll just hang on the optimizing message again. I've tried waiting it out but it still sticks around after several hours.

I may be wrong but is it likely that single app the phone fails to "optimize" is causing it to run like crap too? Is there any way to find out what that app is so I can finally kill it?

For the record: When I restart the phone while it's behaving normally this does not happen.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 9, 2016

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

bull3964 posted:

You could try clearing the cache partition by booting into recovery.

bull3964 posted:

Well, the recovery option reformats the cache partition. So, if it's filesystem corruption, it may fix it.

Cool, I'll give this a try thanks! I'll let you know if it worked in like a week when it's due to happen again :v:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mak0rz posted:

Moto G3 with Android 6.0:

Every now and then my phone starts to run like garbage (very unresponsive, things take a long time to load, Facebook et al only show a blank white page, etc) so I restart it. Every single time I do this it softlocks on "Optimizing App 1 of 1..." and to get around it I have to wait maybe 10 minutes and then force shutdown and restart again. If I do it too soon it'll just hang on the optimizing message again. I've tried waiting it out but it still sticks around after several hours.

I may be wrong but is it likely that single app the phone fails to "optimize" is causing it to run like crap too? Is there any way to find out what that app is so I can finally kill it?

For the record: When I restart the phone while it's behaving normally this does not happen.

Hi everyone! I'm back again from over 50 pages ago!

bull3964 posted:

You could try clearing the cache partition by booting into recovery.

LastInLine posted:

The cache is being rebuilt when it's "Optimizing Apps..." so that should already be doing that but you're right, it can't hurt.

This unfortunately did not work. I also completely uninstalled every app I have minus the absolute bare-bones I need and that still didn't work. God drat it if I only knew what app was doing this! :argh:

I guess the last resort option is the ol' scorched-earth factory reset? I'll see how that goes and report back :sigh:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Skarsnik posted:

It was always Facebook for me that did the 1 app optimizing thing

Not seen it once since I got rid months ago

I'll give that a try. I'm okay canning Facebook as long as I can keep using Messenger.

Unrelated question: Does anyone have any recommended microSD cards for use with the "storage merging" feature in Marshmallow?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Stick100 posted:

Don't adopt the storage unless you have a good reason. SD cards for media only is fine for most flagship devices as they have at least 16gb of local storage.

Mine has 8 and with almost a barebones app list and all their updates it's getting pretty close to full :(

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

How much do things like Ambient Display, lift to check, and double-tap to check affect battery life? Like if lift to check is enabled is the screen always on when the phone is bouncing around in my pocket while walking down the street?

I recently got a Pixel and it seems the battery life is draining a little more than I'm used to (the phone still lasts all day, though). Or maybe it's because it's immeasurably more powerful than my old 1GB Moto G3 and therefore sucking more juice.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

So after working without issue for God knows how many years, Google Calendar suddenly stopped sending push notifications for reminders and events. I'm missing/forgetting important poo poo because of this.

It's Probably My Fault Somehow. It was fine until I took a trip to visit family which involved crossing five time zones and having my phone off or in airplane mode for extended periods of time. That seems like something that would cause it to poo poo the bed? I don't know.

Edit: should probably mention that it's a Pixel 1 and here's my OS info:

Now that I think about it I upgraded to Android 9 during this trip. That's probably where it all started.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 6, 2018

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I can't tell if my Pixel is one of those infamous duds or just geriatric but the phone speaker and mic often die (regular speakers work fine) and the gyro sometimes just doesn't work.

I was wondering if I can qualify for that lawsuit payout but I can't seem to find a reliable answer on how to find out the phone's loving manufacture date. So I used the phone's own support service to ask how.

*a couple of minutes pass*

:thunk:

I didn't even mention the lawsuit at all...

Edit: Seems the payout is for US citizens only anyway :shrug:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Also that link says pixelsettlemet which sounds like a scam website, and when I tried to see if it's real, uBlock Origin warned me about some bad poo poo.

Yeah it's clearly a typo. Why would the official support channel send me a phishing link?

So... is there a way to find my phone's manufacture date? Every method I've found via googling hasn't worked (phone keypad codes, IMEI and serial number info, etc). Or should I not bother because I'm Canadian and likely not eligible anyway?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CLAM DOWN posted:

You are not eligible as a Canadian. Sorry. I already checked.

:sigh: oh well, good to know before I put any more effort into this

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I got a refurb Pixel 3 after the USB port in my old one suddenly stopped working and this new phone is doing some really weird poo poo software-wise:

• Google Play Music downloads... something every time I open it. It doesn't say what it is, but the shade notification pops up and it only lasts like two seconds or so then goes away.
  • AMdroid does the same thing, but there are two of them (probably because I have two alarms set) and the notifications say "background working." I don't need to open the app for this to happen
  • "Open with" settings reset daily. This one is the most annoying of all. I keep getting the dialog if I click a Twitter or mailto link or whatever and setting the default never sticks.

The only thing I did differently with this phone compared to my original Pixel 3 is that I did the phone sync thing with my old Pixel 1 (as opposed to just setting it up from scratch) that I was using while waiting on the refurb. I'm not above doing a factory reset if that's the only thing that will fix it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Good to know those notifications are "normal" I guess.

Any idea why the open with settings don't persist?

Uthor posted:

I remember when Android was the OS that "did notifications right".

It's kind of funny to search for issues I have with my phone and only turn up with variations on "Android just does things sometimes :shrug:"

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Pixel 3
Android 10

I just made a donation with my phone that didn't ask for authentication. Normally it would prompt for a password or fingerprint but I'm thinking the last time I paid for something I fat-fingered the "don't ask again" checkbox.

How do I make it start asking again?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

bull3964 posted:

I think the salient point is what did you use to make the donation?

Credit card

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

bull3964 posted:

I meant what app.

Oh whoops!

It was through the YouTube app.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

bull3964 posted:

Settings -> Billings and Payments -> untoggle "Enable Quick Purchases"

It never occurred to me that this would be a per-app thing :doh:. I just assumed everything went through Google Play.

Still though, that switch was actually off! What on earth...

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

bull3964 posted:

Well, Google Play has a similar setting in that app if you want to check there too.

Authentication required there too :iiam:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

My Pixel 3 decided it just doesn't want to upload files anymore I guess?

Someone sent me something (just a 3MB mp3 music file that he wrote) and I want to upload it to Drive but it keeps stalling. I also tried to attach it to an email and send it to myself with the same result. Everything just hangs with the "waiting to upload" or "syncing gmail" shade notifications. I tested it with photos I took and they experience the same problem.

What's going on here?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Shai-Hulud posted:

There seem to be some outages to Googles services. Its not just you.

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, I posted in the app thread about it earlier this morning. Google has some major server downtime right now, stuff is broken. Gmail isn't working for a lot of people either. It's not you.

Good to know. I thought I checked the service status before posting and everything seemed okay, but I guess I was looking at the wrong information.

Anyway file uploaded now. Thanks!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Pixel 3, Android 11

I got a shade notification asking about app priority (it said something about "displaying full screen over other apps" or whatever). I'm pretty sure it was related to AMdroid

Anyway, I accidentally fat-fingered the "never show this message again" button in the shade notification. How do I reverse this (i.e. make it so it does ask me again)?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

sourdough posted:

You can go into app info for AMdroid, advanced, and turn on "display over other apps"

So that option I hit in the shade is a per-app thing and not global?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

LastInLine posted:

It should be, it's a notification channel for AMDroid (I'm pretty sure it's "Other" if you want to re-enable that channel, Mak0rz). In any case Display over other apps is under Settings > Apps & Notifications > Special app settings > Display over other apps.

Perfect, thanks!

LastInLine posted:

For what it's worth, I went there in service of this question and found that I had not granted AMDroid permission for that so I'm not sure what it is that it does.

I assume it gives it permission to interrupt whichever app (if any) you're currently using and display the alarm screen. Otherwise it will just pop up a shade item instead. Mostly a non-issue for me as mine will only go off when the phone is locked anyhow, as I use Clock for regular timers and such.