Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I used Now On Tap yesterday to get directions. I was on a website that had an address listed but no map link, so I did it and it immediately opened maps with the address and it was super cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Do we have an idea when the new Nexus phones are coming out? I know nobody really knows, I don't know if there have been any rumors lately that I haven't been following that closely. I saw some spec leaks not too long ago and I guess people are fairly confident in those. I'm definitely replacing my Nexus 6 with the bigger one when it comes out.

My biggest worry is that I didn't even realize HTC was still in business, I thought they folded like 2 years ago

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Vagrancy posted:

This month (assuming Google sticks with their documented process where device release and AOSP release are one in the same):

<e:snip most>

The Google watch leak suggests the same Assistant exclusivity is true for for Android Wear. Seems the latest iteration on Sundar's (failed) Google Play edition/Android One/Android Silver strategy is to just outright drain the oxygen of non-Samsung Android phones by restricting the ecosystem until OEMs have no choice but to sign up and make "Google" devices themselves since none of them have viable brands.

Interesting, thanks! I also hadn't heard about the watch(es) at all. I have a Pebble but may check one of those out too. What is the purpose of LTE in a watch? To use the watch without a phone at all? I thought that was the point of Android Wear :confused:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

bull3964 posted:

The V20 will indeed be the first phone to ship with 7.0 as their sources say the new Nexus phones will launch Oct 4th.

I hope it isn't that late :ohdear:, like 2 or 3 weeks from now seems like a good time

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Does this page existing mean Android 7.0 is out? https://www.android.com/versions/nougat-7-0/ Or has it been there before

e: http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/08/22/android-7-0-nougat-rolling-nexus-devices-starting-today/

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

If I join the beta on my Nexus 6, it offers me a preview build. When it goes to the final release, can I then leave the beta and stay on Nougat? Or will it wipe my device still

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I want the new Nexus phone to come out!! Come on Google :argh:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I like how I'm now on the 'expensive' track of Nexus phones, since the 6 was expensive too and I was dumb enough to buy that one.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I bought a Pixel XL. Probably stupid to order it without really seeing any reviews or anything, but I'm pretty fed up with my Nexus 6. I'm not so worried about the value like most people in this thread are, it seems like a premium phone that is worth it (or at least could be, I guess?). I wasn't excited about the VR thing, but if it's free, then I'm pretty excited.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I got a work phone the other day and it's an iPhone SE and holy poo poo how can anyone use a phone that small. Granted I am coming from a Nexus 6 so the size difference is even more pronounced but it just feels like a child's toy.

Still a fairly nice phone, but so tiny.

(I get that some people want smaller phones and that's fine but the SE size is crazy)

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

ilkhan posted:

Truth.

I'm wondering when screen protectors and cases will be available for the Pixels. I want both for mine asap.

I ordered a "clear" case when I ordered the phone. The case is much less important to me than a screen protector though, I want one of those bad.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I don't know if a screen protector is really needed, but I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

My Nexus 6 screen protector has a couple fairly sized scratches (cracks?) that are just in the screen protector. Maybe the phone wouldn't have gotten the same damage but I'd rather not take the chance.

I bought the case from Google but I don't usually last with cases very long.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

Oh hey my Pixel XL shipped. It's arriving Monday.

If mine had shipped on Wednesday I'd probably be using it right now. Now I have to wait an entire weekend too?? :(

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

My Pixel XL came today, even when I thought it went coming until Monday. I really really like the camera and the fingerprint sensor (coming from a Nexus 6). It's way too early to judge battery life. I haven't really used the assistant yet.

FunOne posted:

I've got the Anker USB C and multiple charger, the 40w older version. Is there any reason to worry about using it with my Pixel? I haven't had any issues with my 6P.

Do I need to update to the version with USB PD (the 60w version)? I can't find any clear information on this.

I'm so worried about chargers with all of the talk about how you can do serious damage and whatnot. I have an Aukey QC2.0 wall charger and got some A to C cables that the Google dude said were good. Is that going to be fine and just slow charging? I'm ok with that as long as it isn't dangerous.

I'll probably just buy some more Google chargers since they'll, in theory, be the most compatible.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

DemonMage posted:

Yeah I was wondering about that myself. Or just hitting the lock button on the lock screen, which works with Smart Unlock. Forces you to enter your passcode even if a Smart Unlock device/location is connected. Seems kinda silly if you can't do that with fingeprint lock as well.

When I look at my lock screen (Pixel XL), there is a fingerprint where the lock for Smart Unlock is normally. I can press on the fingerprint and it says "device will stay locked until it is manually unlocked", which sounds promising, but a fingerprint will still unlock it.

I don't have smart unlock set up since it has the fingerprint reader, but maybe if it's using that it (so that the lock shows up) will let you require a PIN? It seems like with the fingerprint you can always unlock save for right after a reboot.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Anecdotally, my pixel 1 (xl) was running super super slow and i thought it was just because it's a year old, but i looked at the storage space and it was 94% full. Once i cleared space, it runs just about as fast as it ever has. I've seen low space warnings before but this time one wasn't triggered. It would think it would at 10%, or at least 5%.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Jacobus Spades posted:

A lot of people get this in both directions. I think the biggest fundamental difference would probably be how the back button works; since it's always available apps are designed to keep track of your "navigation path" and send you back to where you accessed the app from. For example, if you open a link in an IM and it pulls up the browser hitting Back will send you back to the IM, while accessing the browser directly will make it navigate back one page.

I like this about Android except when apps don't do it. For example Twitter. I would expect i click a link, read a tweet, hit back and go back to the app that sent me there. It never does. YouTube is the same. I just saw it with the Amazon app when i clicked on the screen protector someone linked a few posts ago. Back didnt bring me back here until i hit it three times. Is this a setting I'm missing in these apps? It drives me nuts.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Is OnePlus still a joke like it was when it first came around? The 6T or whatever it's called looks like it could be neat and the Pixel 3 looks a bit underwhelming

I remember this thread not being too high on OnePlus but I haven't followed this stuff in a bit

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

IDGAF about the notch, the one thing about the Pixel 3 XL that worries me is "only" 4gb of RAM. Is that a real thing to be concerned about though? The Pixel XL also has 4gb and it seems fine (storage seems to be the biggest issue I have with it) but I know phones are doing 6 or even 8gb of RAM these days.

RAM and price I guess are the two things I'm worried about.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

How many Google Play credits will be used for the Pixel Stand? I'm pretty sure mine will be, because what else would I do with it

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Cheap Trick posted:

I was thinking about getting a Pixel 3, and my hand was forced when my HTC 10 rendered itself unusable last night (the USB port wouldn't take power).

The new phone is great! Gesture navigation wasn't hard for me to get used to, in spite of what I'd read about it.

Unfortunately I do not have a cat so I can't contribute a picture.

Yes I like the gestures too. I really like the one to go back to the previous app. I don't mind the swipe up for the app drawer one. I can see what people mean by saying the icons shouldnt be there though, that would be nice to get that section of screen back.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Incessant Excess posted:

Ditched Timely for AMdroid a long time ago since the former wasn't going to get supported anymore, no complaints. AMdroid even reminds you to skip alarms on holidays, which has helped me on more than one occasion.

drat that's cool about the Off Days, I didn't know AMdroid even had that.

I like AMdroid because I -always- snooze my alarms, but sometimes I dismiss them instead. The "are you awake" notification is critical to me waking up and saved me countless times already.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

LastInLine posted:

That's a system function but yeah I love AMDroid too. My favorite feature is how it can monitor a Google Calendar with your work schedule and use that to enable or disable the alarm.

Wait the notification is system?

I still use the math challenge, which I think helps. Even if it doesn't actually, I'm at least getting better at quickly adding a couple of numbers!

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

LastInLine posted:

You know what, you're right, I actually did some digging and it turns out they're not. It was literally coincidence that every single alarm app including the stock Clock app started doing it with the Lollipop release. And I'm not exaggerating here, every app I could find added it over the course of a couple months around the Lollipop release and it's been a staple ever since. I would've bet anything on it being added by the system when they redid the alarm scheme back when they added Doze.

Ah ok, that makes sense. I probably found AMdroid around then and never bothered looking for an alarm clock app since. It's the perfect solution to snooze/dismiss failures. I'm glad other apps do it too, and everyone should enable it.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Goddamnit, I'm going to end up buying the Pixel 4 (I have the Pixel 3).

Maybe all this "leaking" is some strategy where they try to build hype so when they announce it's $1700 people will still buy it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Speaking of sharing and photos (at least photos talk was semi-recent?), is it a new "feature" in 10, or a bug, where if I take a screenshot I can't share it in Facebook Messenger (or Telegram)? Share isn't the exact right term, because if I share from Photos it actually works. If i use the built-in photo picker at the bottom of either of those apps, it doesn't show the screenshots. If I take a picture with the camera, it will show up. I have Screenshots picked to Back up & Sync in Device Folders in Photos. This worked until I updated to 10