Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Philosopher King posted:

I somehow broke my Moto G5 Plus power button and the battery ran out so now I can't turn it on.

Whats the modern day equivalent I should be looking for?

Usual recommendations here are the Pixel 3a (for good photos), the Nokia 6.1 (or 6.2 or 7.2 for a cheap phone with stock Android), and the Moto G 7 (cheap and good, but updates are a bit less likely). Hope that helps!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Can we talk about how weird it is that a fricking default alarm clock app does not work correctly out of the box ? :v:

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
This has surely been asked before, but I couldn't find it in this thread: what is the basic recommendation for a pixel 3a case?

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

spincube posted:

Didn't Samsung release a device, many moons ago, that was quite literally a point-and-shoot camera smooshed onto a Galaxy phone?

My phone needs are simple enough these days that this would be a viable option for me. Bring back sidetalking!!

[e] VV yeah, that's the one

I actually really liked that concept: you have a real camera with a huge sensor (compared to smartphones), an optical zoom and maybe even replaceable lenses, but you also get computational photography, lots of photo apps, an easy to use touchscreen, software updates (in theory :v: )...

Too bad that no one will bother with it, or will half rear end it so you get the worst of both worlds instead of the best of both :shrug:

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

sourdough posted:

I barely care about any of those, just wish they wholesale took android notifications

Yeah it's amazing how crappy iOS notifications still are compared to Android.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

bull3964 posted:

There are a lot of factors.

1) Inflation
2) Willingness to take slim margins at first to establish a brand foothold
3) Scale up things like support as sales increased (both direct customer support and developing software for an ever increasing inventory of devices)
4) New technology that adds to the BOM (like fingerprint sensors, improved haptic engines, and later 5g)
5) Increased R&D to make the overall package better (like computational photography)
6) Increased marketing (carrier partnerships, launch bonuses like free accessories)

At the end of the day, no one goes into this industry with the intent of staying the barebones budget brand. That's just now how capitalism works. You saw how well it worked out for Essential to launch with a premium device first.

Also remember that the first Onepluses had all kinds of problems and quality issues (remember the upside down screen?), close to non-existant support, mediocre cameras, etc. Their main argument was their spec sheet at a low price point, which tends to work well with the android nerd crowd that loves to janitor their phones ("just root it bro, it's totally easy and no security risk at all!")

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Just got an email this morning that the Pixel 4a is available for preorder over here (France), delivery for the 15th of October. I don't need it since I still have my 3a, and I would want to have some more info on the Pixel 5 before ordering, but I do want something new and shiny - plus I'm afraid it will be out of stock, knowing Google's logistics :ohdear:

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
drat the new Sony 5 ii looks really cool on the hardware side, too bad it will ship with their custom Android 10... Plus it costs almost a 1000 bucks, if it had been stock Android I would have maybe thought about it.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Maybe this came up before but I couldn't find it looking a couple pages back, but my Pixel 3 just went to Android 11 and the power button no longer handles screenshots, but in two button mode is there really no way to show the screenshot function? You go into the carousel mode and those buttons are supposed to be there at the bottom but they're just not in two button mode, only in three button and in gesture mode.

Supposedly you can use Power + Volume Down, according to Google's own product support page, but it does not work for me :shrug:

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

You gotta hit them at the same time, not sure how forgiving the timing is but it's definitely not something where you can just hold one and hit the other.

Thanks, that worked! Hit them both at the same time and hold for about 1 sec.
Very convoluted compared to the old menu, but I guess Google really needs me to have access to my CCs (I'll never save them on my phone) and smart home devices (I don't have any) :v:

/E:

FAUXTON posted:

Honestly if Apple released something like a launcher that let me test drive the iOS UI without committing to spending at least a few hundred dollars to find out how I'd like it, I'd probably be thinking of switching too but the last time I used an iOS device was more than a decade ago so I don't really have a useful idea of how it operates nowadays.

Thanks to my work issued SE I could actually compare iOS 14 to Android 11 and they are actually more alike then different nowadays. iOS 14 has an app drawer (sort of), widgets, quick settings, you can change the default browser, the default keyboard... Only the notifications suck compared to Android, and the interface feels a bit boring to me (though it is quite functional).
Of course, Apple being Apple you run into some weird quirks from time to time, and there is no easy workaround like there often is with Android, but maybe that's just my habits from years of using Android :downs:

Chikimiki fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Sep 28, 2020

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

hooah posted:

I don't know how that's convoluted. That's been the screenshot combination basically forever on Android. The power menu option was much more recent.

Maybe convoluted isn't the right word, but for the uninitiated (like me) it was easier to discover in the power menu than with a button combination that is not explained anywhere except the product support. That, and the screenshot notification were a lot better.

It feels just like classic google to me, remove something that worked (Hangouts, Reader, 3 button navigation, Play Music...) and replace it with something worse for reasons :v:

LastInLine posted:

Using your phone to access your credit cards is so much more secure due to tokenization, I'm curious why you wouldn't use it?

To be honest it was just a kneejerk reaction, I've never bothered to research anything about CCs on Android. Also, here in France I've never heard of anyone using Google Pay, whereas Apple Pay is advertised everywhere.

Chikimiki fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Sep 28, 2020

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
I'm kinda torn between the OnePlus Nord and the Pixel 5. Both have about the same spec sheet, but the Nord is a bit cheaper here in Europe. Is there anything the Pixel does better, apart from Google magic? :v:

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I haven't seen a single horrible monster except this little guy who snuck into my apartment 100ft feet off the ground in inner city Melbourne somehow.

Definitely did google it though. Just a harmless other spider eating spider.

Well, the biggest ones eat things like possums, but not humans. Yet.

:staredog:

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

spincube posted:

I've noticed that it's no longer displaying the weather on the homescreen or AOD. I assumed that was out of spite because I'm using another launcher though

Same, also sometimes the screen rotation button stops appearing (I'm always locked to portrait); usually a reboot fixes it. I guess some background process crashes sometimes and can't restart :shrug:

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
I still don't understand Google's reason for axing Hangouts and Google Reader. 2 perfectly fine products, but apparently something wasn't right for the overlords, I'd be really curious what it was.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Hangouts isn't dead, it's just moving to Chat.

Reader is just a sign of the times, I'm surprised Feedly is still around as I can't imagine RSS is very popular anymore.

Okay for gReader, I get it's about advertising.

But Hangouts I still don't get: they had a one-stop solution that could have rivaled iMessage, Whatsapp, FB Messenger, etc. but they tore it down, and split all of its features across several apps: SMS Messages, Allo, Duo, now Chat... Is there really such a huge benefit for them to have it split up like this?

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

I have a bunch of sites producing blogs, news etc. How the gently caress am I supposed to learn about them posting new content if not rss? I check my feeds daily with Inoreader.

Do people, like, manually go to every page they want to follow, every day, just to check if there's something new? Or how does that work?

Nah, you're supposed to follow all of those pages on FB, IG, Twitter, etc. and then check everyone of those pages manually; the algorithm will decide what content you crave :v:

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Can you still set Cool Jazz as the default font? :v:

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

I have this Nokia not-even-android thing in a drawer somewhere and its size always tempts me back to a simpler time.

Unironically this. Give me a cross between a smartwatch and a candybar phone and I'd be happy :v:

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Wheeee posted:

also the headphone jack going away was a good thing and using wired earphones on a mobile device in 2021 is sus as gently caress

What's wrong with having an extra port and a reliable backup solution? :confused:

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

strap on revenge posted:

I found a reasonably priced used Sony Xperia 5ii and bought it yesterday to replace my aging pixel 2XL. I am leaving it in the box until the case arrives because it is the slipperiest thing I have ever touched in my life. initial impressions using it lying down in the box are good but I haven't had a chance to play with the cameras yet

Going by my experience with Sony, the camera is serviceable but not as good as the spec sheet may let you believe. And I do confirm the slipperiness of it.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
It's me, I'm the guy that snagged a Pixel 6 on release day to replace my 3a but ended up returning it :v:
Too big, fingerprint reader sucks and I need a headphone jack. Camera is cool (didn't see that big a difference compared to the 3a however) and screen is pretty though.

Maybe the 6a will be more in my line?

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Lowen SoDium posted:

It's not hyperbole, even if you are not having issues. Functionally, it's a big step back. The back reader on the 5 was faster and would wake and unlock the phone from any state, except for the "pin required for additional security" screen that comes up once a day, but even it would take you straight to that screen

The 6 had the following fail states for the finger print reader:

If your phone fails to detect that it has been picked up or removed from pocket and is just a black screen, you cannot use the print reader to wake the phone. You must press the power button. I get this frequently if I am sitting on the couch or in a chair and get the phone out of my pocket.

If you accidentally swiped the screen and it brings up the pin screen, you can't use the print reader. You must press the back button or use the back gesture.

If you have clicked on a notification or pulled down the shade, you can't use the print reader. You must swipe the notification shade up to dismiss it.

If you press on the print reader area when the phone is going to give you the additional security needed pin prompt, it will not show it to you until you remove your finger from the screen.

And, when the finger print reader is working as intended, it has a read time that is incredibly slow compared to the back reader on the 5. The best reads I am seeing are taking nearly .5 seconds, and the worst take 2 or more. It's very inconsistent with its time.

The only thing I can say that the 6 reader is better about is that it has less frequent problems actually reading my finger print, but I probably spent a lot less time trying to get the phone unlocked with the old reader when you average it out. It's worse in every other way.

This. I've tried to like the P6, and the fingreprint reader, while functional, is a step back compared to the one on my P3a. Combined with the huge size, it was a dealbreaker for me.
I think I just want the P4a with updated internals and camera :v:

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
drat, I just updated my Pixel 4a to Android 12 and I gotta say... This is goddamn hideously ugly! Who designed this crap? Why is there an unremovable date in the upper left corner? Why is there so much wasted space? Why is the notification shade black, with huge buttons? Why can't I customize anything? I'm gonna get used to that poo poo, and I know I'm old man yelling at cloud, but you'd think the people being paid millions to design an interface could do a better job than this :v:

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
So since I updated to 12 the multi tasking view has been acting up weirdly: if i press the square button, sometimes it won't show any app, just the background, sometimes it will only show the current app and not the previous ones, often the screenshot or lens buttons don't appear or do not work... Anybody else experienced this?

Edit: sometimes the square multitasking button even stops working... Never happened before while I was on 11 :v:

Chikimiki fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jan 25, 2022

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Quebec Bagnet posted:

The app switcher button not working is apparently a bug with third-party launchers. The quick solution is to switch to the Pixel launcher then back to the third-party.

Ah yeah that must be it, since I didn't like the new Pixel launcher I went with Nova launcher. Also I don't like the gestures, so I'm glad there's that solution! Thanks a lot!

Still kinda impressive that Google seems to be so inept at providing a polished mobile OS with a consistent interface, despite years of experience, tons of data and billions of cash :v:

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

sourdough posted:

It would become a lot more consistent if they stopped allowing 3rd party launchers or nav button choices

Chicken and egg problem: if they made a good and customizable launcher we wouldn't need 3rd party.

I tried gestures and I don't like it, 1 time out of 3 it messes up and I open the hamburger menu instead of going back, or I close the app instead of switching to the previous one. 3 button is fine and plenty fast, I don't understand why they gotta mess with it. Just to copy the Apple I guess.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Gmail of all things still uses a hamburger menu :v:

And regarding gestures, to reach his own i guess, but I still don't get how this navigation choice affects the general bugginess of the OS :shrug:

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

Gesture navigation is the best innovation of touch phones. The buttons and virtual buttons were always hot garbage on larger than 3-4" displays.

I feel though that iOS does gestures better than Android :v:

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

cage-free egghead posted:

I can get it to happen in like one out of every 5 tries but my phone seems to think I'm trying to go back a page or highlight words.

Same here, too awkward for me. Buttons forever!

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Slider posted:

After using the 5a pretty heavily for a few days now I'm impressed - the battery life is excellent, the overall size/weight/form factor feels great to use, and it basically has all the same features as my old 6p and more. Obviously a huge upgrade but yeah. For only $350 on the pixel store it was worth it.

I still don't really like the look of android 12 UI, ugly-rear end pastel fisher price design with very limited customization options. The main appeal of the pixel 6 for me would be the tensor cpu/90hz display, but probably just going to stick with the 5a for now. the price is right

Same thoughts on 12, but I have to say that it looked better on the 6's big screen

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
So the Pixel 4a now has been officially discontinued, which is a shame because I accidentally smashed my 3a's screen last week and was looking forward to a new 4a :(
I guess I already know the answer is no, but is there any phone that:
- runs stock android
- has good camera
- is not huge
- is under 400€
- has a headphone jack (don't wanna mess around with adapters)

Tried the P6, but it was too expensive, too big and too heavy. Also no headphone jack :v:

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

BabyFur Denny posted:

No phone at all runs stock android by default.
Drop the headphone jack requirement and you'll have plenty of options. The sooner you give up on fighting that windmill the easier you make life for yourself.

Yeah no unfortunately I need a jack because I can't replace my car or my friend's stereo to accomodate my phone choice :v:

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

isndl posted:

Is the headphone jack absolutely mandatory, or is an adapter acceptable? It shouldn't be difficult to just leave one attached to the cable you're plugging into the car or stereo.

I could do that, though I'm wary of adapters. It's the kind of thing you have with you except the one time you need it. But even if I went with an adapter, I don't know any other phone that would check all the remaining boxes. Pixel 5a is not sold in EU, 6 is too big, and the upcoming 6a seems to be as well.

If they just kept updating the Pixel *a line with better internals it would have been perfect for me. I realize I'm *old man yelling at clouds* but it sucks that they don't iterate on good design...
Although, looking at the sales figures for the Pixel 6, I realize I'm part of a minority and the majority prefers their phones as big and flashy as possible, and doesn't mind having to use wireless headphones :v:

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

GTJustin posted:

Does the car have radio? I use a Bluetooth FM transmitter with my 2 XL to play podcasts

Unfortunately this is illegal here :v:

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Soon we'll need :dice: but with Google instead :v:

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
This feels like a lot of engineering got into a way worse solution just for the flex of having an inscreen fingerprint scanner, when a capacitive one on the bottom/back/side is entirely sufficient.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

you rail against others for presenting anecdotal arguments yet use them yourself all the time lol

just bc YOU haven't used a cable in years doesn't mean MOST PEOPLE haven't either.

the argument was that it's not ready *for the masses* not that a bunch of tech nerd geeks who post about the nuances of cell phones on an online forum (myself included) aren't ready

Indeed, I can also quote my anecdotal experience that I've never seen anyone wirelessly charge his phone, except for demo purposes in a store :v:

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

every year the Sony phones look tempting and then the reviews are "the pictures inexplicably look bad and it overheats after shooting 4k video for 9 seconds"

Can confirm, I tried a Sony Xperia a few years ago and I had that experience. Battery life was also meh. Went Pixel Gang and didn't look back :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

repiv posted:

apparently the enterprise SOC in the fairphone is roughly equivalent to the snapdragon 778G, so you're paying $750 for the specs of a $300 phone

unless you're really into the repairability angle you're almost certainly better off buying a mid-range phone now and buying another one when the support runs out - it'll cost less and you'll end up with a better phone later

Yeah that has always been the issue with Fairphone since the beginning, you pay twice as much for a midrange phone. You really have to value the repairability.