Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

r0ck0 posted:

Hello pot, let me introduce you to kettle.

Both have a black color scheme, approved for my use case!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Eh, 5.0 really hosed with the Moto G's. Multitasking is pretty much impossible on one now - I have a 2014 Moto G and after Lollipop simply cannot keep both Play music and Maps open. A loving travesty really, especially when my Razr M that had the same amount RAM had absolutely no problems doing such simple things like that.

There's a lot of that going around with lollipop, not just with the Moto G.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WhyteRyce posted:

Should I not expect Moto Voice to read my text messages if I have Hangouts as the default text messaging app?

It should read text messages even if you are using hangouts (it just won't read hangouts messages). I don't think it cares what SMS app is used as it reads off the SMS repository itself rather than interacting with whatever SMS app is in use.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Bob A Feet posted:

I haven't had any problems with it on my Nexus 7 '13 but I don't use the tablet for anything intensive-- just reading PDF's. I have a turbo and I gotta say, if no other version of android came out I don't think i'd complain. Jellybean is at a very good state.

KitKat. Your phone is running KitKat, not Jellybean :)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I do think one comment is spot on...

Do you really think you're going to get anything better from LG or Samsung?

I also can't imagine Sony has a huge CS department for the 5 phones they sell in the US on a yearly basis.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

A stock Droid Turbo does not come with a virus scanner installed on it.

Edit: Unless it's that Verizon support and protect app. I wouldn't know, I disabled it with 2 minutes of booting the phone for the first time.

Never had an NFC icon outside of the initial android setup telling me that NFC was a thing the phone had.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 28, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't know why AT&T and Verizon don't just force everyone out of contract onto a modern plan. As far as I'm aware there's nothing preventing them from doing so except fear of churn and, let's face it, they can afford the churn. Just tell everyone on an unlimited plan that no, you can't do that anymore, and you can sign a new contract on a new plan or GTFO.

Because it's not worth it, that's why. In real terms, those users are not costing them any additional resources and even a fraction of a percent of churn could cause their shareholders to go into panic mode.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The point is that even the abusers are literally costing them next to nothing. Spectrum congestion is due to population density and has little to do with how much data an individual uses and bandwidth is dirt loving cheap once you are off the tower. They do things to make unlimited unattractive, but they are still better off having an unlimited customer than not so they aren't going to rock the boat too much.

You asked why they don't do it and the reason is someone has calculated that it will end up costing them more than if they just left things alone. So, they leave things alone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Unlimited plans are the least of Verizon's billing woes. Their entire system is a gigantic clusterfuck and I honestly wonder if keeping the unlimited plans is simply because no one can figure out how to remove them. When I first ordered Quantum TV to replace my regular DVR, I got shipped 3 routers instead of one router and two STBs. It's that bad.

As to where to go, I know if I was punted off my unlimited I would immediately go to Cricket. I would also probably drop most of my FiOS services as well since I get a discount by bundling my cell service.

So, at least with me, Verizon risks hundreds of dollars of services a month by loving with my plans. I'm at a peaceful standoff with them right now in that what I'm getting isn't costing me a whole lot when it's all totaled up. But it's like a jenga structure. Pull one block wrong and the whole thing collapses.

They do this on the FiOS side too. I'm on a plan that expired in 2010, but I haven't touched anything because renewing would mean a minimum of $15 /month rate hike with no improvement to my services. Sure, I would get 50/50 internet instead of 35/35, but that really wouldn't give me any real world improvement.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 29, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Knifegrab posted:

I don't have an unlimited plan, I have a single line plan with 2 Gb of data usage.

Only share everything plans are eligible for free tethering. Single plans are not.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Reverse Centaur posted:

Can you have Qi with a glass back?

Nexus 4

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's probably best just to wait as by the time it ships and gets to you, it'll probably arrive at Amazon's warehouses.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

RZA Encryption posted:

I really thought the 2013 X would have gotten a 5.0 update in 2014. :'(

Honestly, I believe I'd lollipop hadn't been so much of a clusterfuck, it probably would have.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I wouldn't be surprised if they re-halted the rollouts for 5.0.2 or 5.0.3.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Twist to picture is awesome and I'll cut anyone who says otherwise.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Whelp, I guess it's time to say goodbye to Qi.

http://www.androidcentral.com/two-three-wireless-charging-standard-groups-will-merge-mid-2015

quote:

Previously, the Alliance for Wireless Power included members such as Intel and Samsung while the Power Matters Alliance includes AT&T, Duracell, Starbucks and Powermat. However, the leading wireless standard group continues to be the odd one out: The Wireless Power Consortium, which champions the popular Qi standard that is used inside some of Microsoft's Lumia smartphones and other products.

So, the two other wireless charging groups merged and they have Intel, Samsung, AT&T, GM, Starbucks, Duracell, and Powermat. Intel and Samsung now merging with Qi's main competitor pretty much spells the end for Qi in the long run.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

The two groups are merging because they're the ones that no one uses. The only thing that's going to define a "winner" is Apple including one and until they do it doesn't matter what happens in the space.

I wouldn't exactly say Qi is flying off the shelves either. You have a handful of nexus devices and a couple of Motos and maybe an LG if you bought it from the right carrier or a Samsung if you bought a new back (and that will probably stop now.)

Even Google can't agree it keep it in their own Nexus devices.

The important part is PMA has more non-electronics partners as the only way wireless charging is really going to take off is if the technology is built into other things people use. Now they ALSO have two heavyweight electronics manufacturers in their corner to round out the other side. I could easily see charging pads being built into the bases of Samsung monitors or portable hard drives with built in wifi that only need to be placed on a wireless power mat to boot up and start sharing files. Want to watch TV in the laundry room? Just set our Samsung Smart TV on top of your samsung washer and it will automatically get the power it needs, no wires! Attach our smart picture frame to the side of our smart fridge and you can see all your family moments, no unsightly cables!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Three Olives posted:

I'm confused by the wireless power merger, Qi appears to have a larger but still pretty insignificant installed base, PMA seems to not only have larger more important and very commited partners but like zero market traction. So the merger means what? Are they committing to both standards, are the standards going to be merged with new chargers supporting both standards and one eventually being phased out? Or is there going to be a new incompatible but final standards that merges what I assume is mainly just a IP battle because otherwise who gives a gently caress what standard is being used if it works as far as consumers are concerned.

We don't really know what's going to happen with the actual technologies themselves yet until the merger happens.

Suffice it to say, none of the standards have a ton of traction in the market and the first one to make it ubiquitous is going to win. There's really no reason to root for any one right now outside of potentially making current chargers obsolete.

I will say though that having Intel in your corner is a very good thing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I would argue that Lollipop isn't really released and 'final' for any device yet.

There's been some evidence (people getting new devices and not being prompted to update to the latest) that all current OTAs are pulled and are awaiting 5.0.3.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

What's going to be great is when all these builds go through OEM and carrier testing and still come out lovely when the rest of us are on 5.1 which will refine Lollipop's rough edges and works just fine, that's when Samsung and the other OEMs will stop releasing updates and they'll all be stuck on broken builds forever.

Welp, guess it's time to give Samsung more money, and the cycle will begin again.

Yes, hilarious. Serves those OEMs right for trying to update their devices in a timely manner.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

2 months is 33% of the time it will be the current version.

Android is not on a 6 month major release schedule.

It also means diddly squat if the current version is unusable (and by unusable, I mean a clear regression from the previous version.) Most would rather have a working device for those 2 months and be behind than have the latest version and hate their device because of it.

2 months is how long I've had my Nexus 9 and this is the first electronics purchase in a long time that I have regret about. If I could push a button and undo my purchase, going back to a N7 2013 with 4.4.4 on it, I would break my finger jabbing it so hard.

Google hosed up big time this round and they need to examine where things went so wrong. The solution isn't anything you listed. The solution is Google making sure their OS is ready to be released before pushing it out. This isn't an OEM issue at all at this point in time. It's an issue with Google continually treating everything like beta, hoping people won't stumble upon their problems before they have a chance to patch them. This one is one of the more egregious in memory, but nearly every single major release by Google has been marred in some way with a serious bug and some of them remain unresolved (i.e. bluetooth being poo poo) despite constant and continual feedback. What good is a quick iterative cycle if you don't actually respond quickly to issues other than pissing off your partners?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My experience with 4.0 is with the Galaxy Nexus and it was not a good one. Granted, some of them were actual device issues, but it still points to Google releasing something they probably shouldn't have.

Lollipop on my N7 2013 killed its performance. It ran perfectly on 4.4.4, but Lollipop was a dog with constant home screen redraws and non-responsive home button that you had to jab 3 times before it registered.

I've given up on trying to use bluetooth to stream audio while streaming videos over wifi. The instant the audio starts I can visibly SEE the wifi indicator start fluctuating in strength and it's not long before the buffering starts. That's even on a 5ghz network so it's not like it's RF interference. Not that it would be very useful even if it did work since the lip sync is off so much I feel like I'm watching a badly dubbed korean movie. This has been a constant across 4 nexus tablets ever since they changed bluetooth stacks.

Honestly though, in general, the most stable responsive devices I've ever owned have always been Motorola. OG Droid, Droid Bionic, Droid Razr, Droid Razr HD MAXX, Droid MAXX, and now Droid Turbo. They've all had uptimes measured in months with no random reboots (dear god the N10 was bad for that for awhile) with no random slowdowns or other screwiness.

If Moto would release a 7-9" tablet tomorrow with a high resolution screen and wireless charging I would drop the N9 in a hot minute.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

TenaciousTomato posted:

I have a Droid MAXX and I want to buy this. :negative:

dat form factor

I have a Droid Turbo and I did (a month or so ago). Its a really nice little device. It's my 'spare' phone since getting rid of my old phones netted enough money to buy it.

One thing to remember about Verizon though with android. The effect the OG Droid had on Android cannot be understated. It put Android on the map as well as setting new standards in hardware specs.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

this_is_hard posted:

According to the Droid by Motorola Instagram account, lollipop is scheduled for a 'Spring 2015' release for the Turbo

:sadwave:

Good, I don't want it on my primary communication device until Google gets their poo poo in order.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

RVProfootballer posted:

I've had lollipop preview then release on my primary communication device since, what, June? It owns

We've been down this road already. It's great that you're a special snowflake that has no issues on lollipop. It's been a huge regression for many people and the loving bugs are DOCUMENTED and confirmed by Google anyways. They've even halted their own rollouts to their own devices.

poo poo is broke. We need to wait for them to fix it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It also makes it impossible to easily cycle from Vibrate to Silent with disabling your notifications completely.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

dissss posted:

The notification is still there in blocking mode, it just doesn't make a sound

Does it light up the notification LED?

Also, Android Wear 5.0 respects the blocking settings. So, setting it to none will not allow the notification to be pushed through to my watch.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 10, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I know my Chromecast remote Moto X 2013 (so, on wifi without SIM installed) constantly goes about 48 hours on idle. That's with a full compliment of apps installed and syncing. It just doesn't get a ton of screen on time nor is it connecting to a mobile network.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Motorola has said that their remaining 2013/2014 line is getting lollipop 'really soon.'

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/01/12/motorola-lollipop-updates-coming-really-soon/

quote:

Updates of this nature take time. It’s no secret that when 5.0 launched it still had bugs. And, when we update our products, we end up finding more bugs that need to be fixed. There are a lot of reasons for what that happen, but, basically, each phone has a unique set of components and a way they interact. When Google creates a new release, they don’t validate it for all the possible combinations there are, and they won’t fix anything that’s not reproducible on a Nexus device, that’s our job.

All I can say is that "really" should really be read as all caps bolded with a 3d drop shadow for certain devices.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DangerZoneDelux posted:

One of the cool new features on my Nexus 6 is when it doesn't load a chrome page until I back out and try again. Happens 50% of the time. Kind of neat!

Happens frequently on my N9 as well.

Yay lollipop.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, Google may be trying to acquire the payment system formally known as Isis (Softcard).

http://www.androidcentral.com/google-reportedly-talks-acquire-mobile-payments-company-softcard

So, after all that war, it goes out with a whimper. Really though, this is just a tacit acknowledgment that Apple Pay has won.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Droid MAXX will last the longest on battery, but I cannot recommend getting it over the 2nd gen Moto X at this point since it's almost 1.5 years old.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

THF13 posted:

I would honestly rather have the 2013 Maxx than the 2014 Moto X, but I really prioritize battery life. Both phones will get updated to lollipop at some point.

Turbocharger offsets that to a certain extent. If you manage to be around an outlet for 15 minutes towards the end of the battery, you can easily stretch it to be similar battery of a MAXX.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Common sense would suggest you decline any update that came out before Google fixed the memory leak, mostly if you're on a carrier/not using a Nexus.

That's 5.0 and 5.0.1. They've been silent since updating the bug reporting page, which leads me to believe they're working with carriers for widespread deployment. That could be optimism speaking though.

Depends. Just because something is 5.0 or 5.0.1 from an OEM doesn't mean they didn't roll some further enhancements into the ROM. Motorola has done this frequently, backporting updates from later versions of Android to earlier ones.

It also depends where the fix is. If it's part of the kernel, it's possible it may not be an issue on other devices or got caught and fixed.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

codo27 posted:

I know I just said I'm thinking about the OPO but the Note is just way too big.

The Galaxy Note 4 and One Plus One are virtually the same size.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size#/phones/size/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-4,OnePlus-One/phones/8577,8603

You know things are bad when people are telling you to buy the Samsung instead.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 23, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Moto phones (at least the last gen) even did TRIM on delete and didn't wait for the background process in KitKat, so the data is likely completely gone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Looks like the Nexus 6 was supposed to have a fingerprint scanner in the Moto dimple. Motorola was intending a sensor from AuthenTec to be in there. Only problem is AuthenTec got bought out by apple which meant they couldn't use that sensor anymore. Moto wasn't happy with any other of the choices for fingerprint sensors, so they scrapped it.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/26/motorola-nexus-6-fingerprint-sensor/

AuthenTec was the supplier of the sensor for the Atrix which I know many people found useful.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I fully encourage Cyanogen to go down this path with all of their resources. ALL. Full in, go for broke.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Qualcomm basically confirmed that the S6 is going to be Exynos only yesterday when they cut their financial outlook citing that a "major" smartphone flagship will no longer be using the 810.

Seems Samsung is going to double down on stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, this is a thing.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/01/microsoft-to-invest-in-cyanogen-hopes-to-take-android-away-from-google/

Hot on the heals of Cyanogen's comments about wanting to take Android away from google, Microsoft is going to pump $70mil of cash into them.