Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Lblitzer posted:

If that means making a Lumia with Android on it, count me in.

Even if it did, it would mean a forked version of android cutoff from google services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LG went on record that they have no issues with overheating using the 810. It may have just been a dig at Samsung, but who knows.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Lblitzer posted:

Right, but I don't believe it would be nearly as closed off like the Kindles are. I mean I know Amazon is a huge entity, but their ecosystem is pretty darn terrible outside of the bookstore.

What is this "openness" that you are seeking though? What's closed off now that you want open that a fork of AOSP would provide? I would argue that Android without Google services is next to useless. I get that some people are upset that Google is moving stuff into closed binary blobs, but what are you replacing them with and what advantage do you have by them being open source?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm just going to laugh if they finally reign in Touchwiz only to switch exclusively to exynos. I mean, it's not as bad as a Nvidia SoC. I'm just exceedingly wary of anything other than a Qualcomm SoC at this point in time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I really think Microsoft's investment is just to keep them afloat so that they can snap them up later as a highly forked limited low end smart(ish) phone OS.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hace posted:

That seems weird, considering how laughably bad Adreno still is.

GPU power is not something I'm overly concerned about moving forward. I need power efficiency, solid radio support, and ease/knowledge of coding against it to ensure quick and bug free updates.

Qualcomm have proven these things can all live together. Samsung with Exynos has not.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

HTC isn't going to hit their own 90 day benchmark for Lollipop. They blame Google's buggy first rollout.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/01/30/htc-wont-hit-90-day-lollipop-promise-on-all-one-variants/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Every phone released in 2011 and early 2012 were pieces of poo poo. Every, Single, One. Even more so if they are packing an OMAP.

In the world of $200 Moto X's and $149 Moto Gs, there's no point to be using any of these anymore.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You must be lying because Google Voice Voicemail notifications have never worked properly. Ever.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

hooah posted:

The Moto Keylink may be going away? The page I have bookmarked (the same that their site search gives you) redirects to the accessories page: http://www.motorola.com/us/accessory-family-page-1/Motorola-Keylink/keylink.html.

They just removed it due to it being OOS and it will be a few weeks before it's back.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/01/31/motorola-still-loves-the-keylink-will-bring-it-back-in-several-weeks/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Lblitzer posted:

Haha that's a pretty big mic drop considering the Moto phones don't have Lollipop yet. Verizon is picking up their game it seems on the update side.

Personally, I would rather them get it right than quick. Hopefully for SGS5 users it's a stable ROM.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

cuedotcom posted:

It would be so nice if advanced calling 1.0 worked on my Nexus 6 :allears:

I had to turn it off on my Turbo because it was broken.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Those hoping that Moto will revisit the 2013 X form factor shouldn't hold their breath.

With the changes made this year, Motorola has sold 118% more phones last quarter than a year ago.

http://www.androidcentral.com/motorola-shipped-10-million-phones-last-quarter-118-percent-year-ago

Big phones sell.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hace posted:

Yeah, maybe 5% of that was the X

It wasn't the only one that grew. The G is 100% the same phone, only bigger.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

BeastOfExmoor posted:

You can still buy the small G. In fact most prepaid providers only sell the old one. Also the E.

I know you can still buy it. But unless you are suggesting people are buying a year old phone at a rate over twice they did last year, the point is moot.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

This is exactly right. Like Skeezy I'd value looks over the battery and pick the Moto X but really the only differences are the 2010-era looks on the Turbo and the larger battery on the Turbo. Even when it comes to updates both should be about equivalent.

Actually, that's not the only difference.

Turbo has a QHD screen over the X's 1080p

Turbo has a Snapdragon 805 vs the 801 in the X. Now, granted, due to the higher resolution of the Turbo, the Adreno 420 GPU speed increases are almost all negated.

Turbo has a better camera (I'm not just talking MP count, the Turbo's camera is legit good.)

Turbo has wireless charging.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, they're adding the ability to switch wifi networks under the quick settings menu so that you can change those settings in app (something I've had to do exactly never) and still forgoing moving the priority notification toggle to the quick settings location where it would be more logical.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Personally, I always encrypt first, then factory wipe.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, booting into recovery and wiping the cache makes a DRAMATIC difference on my N9 (especially in chrome). It also takes about 20 minutes to wipe which it really shouldn't do.

There's something odd going on with the cache since lollipop.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Magog posted:

Uh yeah it definitely shouldn't be taking your nexus 9 20 minutes to wipe cache.

It's a documented bug right now and it doesn't seem to be device specific. Apparently it's been happening since KitKat on the N5.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I've had that happen on my N9 before too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Really probably best to not post comments from a private forum that's under an NDA.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

this_is_hard posted:

oh you mean that completely unenforceable NDA that was leaked to every major android site within moments ofgoing live!?

:spergin:

There's a difference between an anonymous source tipping off a news site that a soak is going out and posting quotes directly from the private forum.

I, for one, would like to continue having soak tests and they may nix them altogether if they feel they can't control them enough.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

wooger posted:

Seriously? What do you think is going to happen - NDAs are unenforceable garbage, and no one from Motorola is reading this thread, or they might've gotten a clue and put a non-laughable camera in a phone. Ever.

Did you not read what I wrote? It doesn't matter that the NDA is unenforceable. If they find too many people are violating it, then they are likely to end the soak test program once and for all.

It was actually specifically called out about discussion of a soak test in a private community is what they were having issue with. So, to me, that says either SA or XDA.

Just stop pissing in the pool people.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

One, you only see the notice if your backup settings used the time-sensitive settings. If your settings prior to the update weren't bounded that way you did not see any indication that they had changed.

Incorrect. On all my devices, mine were set to auto backup with no restrictions (I'm on unlimited, I don't give a gently caress.) I still got the notice on all of them.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Grumpwagon posted:

Did you look at the exact text of the notification? I have my settings the same as yours, and I got a different notification, just reminding me my backup was still on.

Nope, it told me it had disabled backup and asked me if I wanted to re-enable.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Lenovo's malware debacle (or rather, their lack of self awareness as to why people see it as a debacle) has really started to make me doubt the long term prospects of Motorola.

I know I certainly will never be buying a Lenovo PC again, I just hope Motorola remains very distinct and separate from everything else.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Oh how times have changed.

Google Wallet will come pre-installed on T-Mobile, Verizon, and AT&T android phones.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Three Olives posted:

If they don't have the banks on board it is still going to be useless, sorry, I don't want to funnel all my transactions through a pre-paid debit card when I have a bank account and a credit card that I get points on.

Oh, I agree as well. Until I can actually use it as a virtual card, they might as well not even bother.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rastor posted:

The existing Google Wallet already works with a wide variety of credit cards. It works with all of mine, anyway.

There's 'work' and then there's work.

Google wallet currently 'works' with all credit cards because it's a proxy payment. You pay with phone, it bills google, google bills your credit card. That's a poo poo implementation though because it screws with stuff on the credit card end. Get extra perks buying fuel? Not anymore! Your card just sees a debit from Google, not Sunoco so the extra perks don't kick in. Want to cash in that extended year warranty on your $1500 TV that you bought through Wallet? You'll likely be up poo poo creek because your receipt will not match your statement so the claim will be denied.

I want native transactions on my card from Wallet before I would even consider using it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

b0nes posted:

Did Google even have commercials for Wallet? I see a commercial for Apple Pay every day.

But those are done by the credit card companies saying they support the feature, not Apple directly.

That is Google's greatest problem, they fail to engage their partners.

For example, that's why I returned the Nexus Player. Sure it had it's rough edges that could be overlooked, but that wasn't the reason. The reason is the goddamn Netflix app could only do stereo. Two channel PCM was the only audio output option from Netflix. That, right there, is representative on how Google fucks up with their ecosystems. At no point during the development process of Android TV or since did Google call up the largest streaming platform and say "Hey, what can we do to ensure that you support a basic loving feature for our media streamer?" It completely blows my mind that someone could launch a media streamer in 2014 that does not have Dolby Digital support for Netflix. That it wasn't caught before launch or fixed in the subsequent months since speaks volumes for the way Google operates. Complaints on their product forums fall on deaf ears saying "the responsibility is with the app maker." Yes, that is true to a certain extent. But is it too much that two big boy companies that are supposed to be partners have a 5 minute conference call to discuss a required feature for a media streamer?

The same goes with the Google Cast support. There's no reason why the Nexus Player can't emulate a Chromecast perfectly allowing all apps that Cast to work with it, but that's not the case. Vudu doesn't even recognize it (something they changed on their end rather than deal with complaints that casting wasn't working.) They also state the have no intention of ever supporting the Android TV. Flixster doesn't work either. Google shovels the onus on all this stuff not working on the app maker while completely abdicating on working with key partners to make sure their latest new and shiny actually works.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rastor posted:

I don't know what Google Wallet you all have been using, but the one I'm using on my Moto X lets me add any major US credit card to my account, and when I tap my phone that credit card gets charged.

Except that's not the way it works.

Your Google account gets charged and then Google charges your credit card. That's fine if you are just buying can of pop out of the vending machine. That's not fine if you get vendor specific perks or want to you ANY of the protections your credit card offers you.

Good luck disputing a charge that gets passed through wallet at the credit card level. "I'm sorry sir, that charge is from Google, not the store you said wronged you. We can't do anything about it." Say good buy to extended warranty coverage or 90 day theft/breakage protection. "You broke your phone after only 10 days. Well, your receipt says you bought it from Best Buy but I see no charges from Best Buy on your account, I only see charges from Google. We can't help you."

Wallet is just a curiosity until native charges get posted to your account rather than a proxy payment through Google.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rastor posted:

I'm not saying the system is flawless, I'm saying it works. I'm saying the statement "people don't use Google Wallet because it doesn't work with their credit cards/debit cards, period." makes no sense. It does work with credit cards/debit cards, and I use it all the time for small purchases.

Do you frequently dispute charges for cans of pop?

No, but that's why I said that you would only want to use it for tiny purchases and nothing important. But now that you mention it, what if the vending machine malfunctioned and double submitted the transaction?

The point is, a layer between the vendor and the credit card creates a whole ton of complications to the point where you can be really justified in saying that it's broken and doesn't work even if it 'technically' does. Even Google must think so if they are integrating tech from Softcard to try to revamp things.

It's not a good solution and plays a very significant part in why it's not being used by many people.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Thermopyle posted:

Eh, I'll say it again. People don't even know Wallet exists, much less know enough to have dug into it deep enough to figure out the extra layer Google adds to the transaction.

Not that I disagree with the idea that it would be a turn-off if people actually did know how it worked.

That's all one in the same. By making it a proxy layer, Google is not engaging their partners. They are making it work in spite of their partners. Without partner engagement, people aren't told about it and then people don't know about it.

The whole reason why people are using Apple Pay is I'm sure their credit card company either sent them an email or a glossy letter in the mail telling them about this new and wonderful way to link their card up and pay. Credit card companies aren't going to advertise a feature that shields them from the actual transaction.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rastor posted:

Hmm, yep yep, that's a really good point. Credit card companies like Discover and MasterCard sure aren't going to make websites promoting Google Wallet.

Did you ever, once, get communication about those features from those companies? Did you ever see them put a commercial on prime time TV about it? You can't watch a half hour of network TV without seeing one or two commercials about a credit card company touting Apple Pay.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I believe the thing with more commercials is the is the thing that most people know about. Superiority doesn't enter into it (though, in this case, Apple Pay is superior by a large margin.)

At the end of the day, no one but a few nerds know gently caress all about Google Wallet. If credit card companies thought it was a way to engage people to increase their transactions, you would bet your rear end they would make sure all their account holders knew every detail about it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

I mean in this case the specifics are well known: Google tried to bypass both credit card companies, carriers, and their OEMs in the interest of just taking the data. Carriers put the kibosh on that immediately and created a successful terrorist organization an alternative contactless payment system. .

Bit of revisionist history here. Softcard (ISIS) was already being developed before Google released Wallet. One of the main sticking points for Verizon and other Softcard partners was an exclusivity agreement that was established before Google ever showed off Wallet.

So, it wasn't that carriers and credit card companies got pissed off at being bypassed and invented ISIS as a response. They were already well on their way to developing contactless credit card payments when Google strolled in and said "Hey, how about this Wallet thing we made?"

Google essentially sent out party invites after everyone else had already RSVPd to a different bash and then wondered why no one showed up.

It's just another example of them not working with their partners. Had they developed a formal plan for wallet and presented it to carriers and credit card companies to get them on board before ISIS ever was founded in late 2010, then this whole thing might have never happened. Instead, Google did their normal thing about playing it close to their vest and then launching a beta level product on their own, expecting everyone else to change their plans and play along after the fact.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 25, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rastor posted:

Oh those poor carriers and credit card companies.

It's not exactly like google is an underdog in all of this. They have plenty of weight to toss around if they care to.

I wasn't painting a tale of woe. I was just stating a fact that Softcard wasn't a reaction to Wallet. It was already well under development when Wallet came out and by that point it was too late for Google to even attempt to make headway with the carriers and card companies.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's looking like the N6 is finally going to launch on Verizon on the 12th and it's also looking like it's going to launch with 5.1.

The reason for that may be that's when built in VoLTE support is arriving in L, at least according to screenshots.

http://phandroid.com/2015/02/26/exclusive-verizon-nexus-6-march-12-android-5-1-volte-support/

That suddenly makes a ton of things make more sense. The 2014 Moto X on L doesn't have advanced calling on Verizon. The Turbo is Verizon's flagship phone, so they probably didn't want move it to Lollipop until Advanced Calling is sorted out at the OS level. There's some indication that the N6 was supposed to launch today which might hint at a holdup in 5.1. This could also be the reason for the botched soak test for the Turbo right now as well. It's completely possible they were planning on doing 5.1 with this rollout and had to pull it at the last minute, substituting a small bug fix patch instead (build date for the update is a full week after the soak test was supposed to start.)

The SGS5 on Verizon on Lollipop does have Advanced calling, but I'm guessing it was a modification that Samsung made to the OS rather than native support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

And now to muddy waters even further on the whole Mobile Payment thing, Visa announced today that they have their own initutive to bring mobile payments directly to individual banking apps.

http://pressreleases.visa.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=215693&p=irol-newsarticlePR&ID=2020663

quote:

SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 26, 2015-- Visa Inc. (NYSE:V) today announced that it has partnered with several leading financial institutions around the world to offer new mobile payment services. BBVA and Cuscal launched new issuer-branded mobile payment applications for mobile devices running on the Android operating system. Additionally Banco do Brazil, PNC Bank, N.A., and U.S. Bank intend to launch similar capabilities in the near future.

To use these new mobile payment services, consumers simply download their financial institution’s mobile payment app from the Google Play store. Following a one-time enrollment process, customers of participating financial institutions who download and install the application will be able to pay in-store with their Visa accounts by waving their Android mobile phone in front of a contactless reader. These capabilities are an integral part of Visa Digital Solutions, a comprehensive suite of offerings that facilitate secure payments across a broad range of Internet-connected devices and wearables.