Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

To be fair, the Nexus 5's screen and battery are surprisingly easy to replace. The one I bought in early 2013 has been chugging along as my mom's phone since the battery and screen replacement actually had it feeling snappier than the free Huawei Y5 she got for renewing her contract with her carrier.

Shibawanko posted:

No, a 5, not a 5x. It still seems to work fine in terms of the processor and stuff. Are the replacement screens that get sold on ebay typically reliable and usable enough?

Do you have an official LG service center where you live? If so, sourcing replacement parts from them could be an option. Otherwise, yeah, just grab OEM parts from eBay from highly-rated sellers.

anakha fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

holy gently caress someone get the hose these cats are still at it on the goddamn roof

Great avatar/post combo.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, if your phone has a curved screen, glass screen protectors that fit even to the curves are very hard if not impossible to find.

I gave up looking for one for my Nokia 7+ and just decided to try one of those liquid gimmicks. At least my screen now feels like my old Nexus 6p when the oleophobic coating was still new.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

dissss posted:

Which one did you use?

The coating is completely gone from my phone and RainX only lasts like half a day before it rubs off.

I tried the Nanofixit liquid stuff on Amazon.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I realized a few months ago that custom ringtones and notification sounds were pointless because I had my phone on vibrate 99% of the time.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Amppelix posted:

Does your phone never leave your pocket? I don't like keeping it in there while I'm at home.

At home, I'm either getting my notifications on my laptop, doing something where my phone's in my pocket/within reach, or am on Do Not Disturb mode.

The 1% is when I'm in a noisy area and am waiting for an email or text.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

This is why I ended up going back to Swype via APKMirror.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

LMAO the notch even gets captured in Android Q screenshots

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Xiaomi and OnePlus, as pure hardware manufacturers with no involvement in telecoms like Huawei and ZTE, should be safe from this fallout right? Because if not, then Android is just gonna be Google or Samsung for the foreseeable future.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I've got an old dodocool USB-C charger that I got when I was still using a Nexus 6P. Will it do fast charging on a OP7/OP7 Pro?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Some interesting tidbits from this article on Q navigation gestures:

quote:

The most interesting tidbit to me is this: users actually prefer the ergonomics of the traditional three-button Android navigation that was in place for years before Google switched things up (on the Pixel at least) last year with Android P. The buttons get a rating of 5.78 in ergonomics versus 5.39 for the Android Q gestures...

quote:

Beyond drawers, gestures are a big change for people and it took on average 1 - 3 days to adapt - in particular, users struggled with patterns like swiping right or left on a carousel and triggering Back.

In qualitative studies, we found that after an initial break-in period of 1 - 3 days, users became fluent and could consistently distinguish between these two gestures. The majority of users did not want to switch back to 3 button nav (even though that remains an option).

Google found that people used the back function less frequently during those first days of trying out Android Q and familiarizing themselves with it. “After that period, the average number of back presses [per day] ends up being the same as three-button and our P navigation.”

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't think that would fit in my jeans pocket....

Yikes, an unsecured device being sold in TYOOL 2019

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

LastInLine posted:

If your situation is such that you have to worry about someone with access to your sleeping, helpless body is a security threat then it's not just your choice of cellphone that's the problem.

Or if you're living with someone who's suspicious you might be cheating on him/her.

I'm sure some upcoming romcom has that scene scripted out already.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

mfny posted:

These would be my options then ?

Huawei P20 Standard and Lite
Xiaomi Redmi Note 7
Xiaomi Redmi Poccophone F1
Vivo Nex A
Motorola Moto G7 Plus

The "tier" of these options may be a bit all over the place but I am going on used pricing from CeX not retail, I have to assume buying again from CeX due to how the return may work on the 5t.

Most of my family uses Xiaomi phones, so I can give some insight here.

The Pocophone F1 is probably the cheapest phone with an SD845 out there, so specs-wise, you're getting some bang for the buck. Camera is decent but has no OIS.

What can turn off some users is Xiaomi's MIUI OS, since it's a departure from how the UI on Pixel/Android One phones are. However, if you can get used to it, it does come with regular updates and Android 10 has been confirmed.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

mfny posted:

Cheapest price for the Xiaomi Poccophone F1 is £190 for B grade. And is indeed the only phone on my list with a 845. P20 is a Kirin 970.. no idea how that compares to the 845 ? the rest are lower tier Snapdragon's..

Software updates to me are very important btw.. and I do note that Xiaomi has a good reputation in this regard it seems.

According to benchmarks, the Kirin 970 ranks about equal to the SD835 but below the SD845. The P20 would then be more comparable to the Pixel 2 in terms of benchmarks while the Poco's benchmarks would be more comparable to those on the Pixel 3.

Ultimately, you're not likely going to see much difference performance-wise unless you're heavy into gaming. LineageOS is available for both devices, so you have flexibility to change ROMs later if you wish.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Why would anyone care what they think?

Are you OK?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Peachfart posted:

I'm kinda cheap, and can only really afford ~$350-400 for a new phone to replace my lovely Mate SE. I saw a sale on the Pixel 3a for 299 and the 3a XL for 370, are those the best phones for the price range?

Unless you're a heavy mobile gamer, yep.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

For those who have a OnePlus 7T, what cases and/or screen protectors are you using? Just got one myself.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Seems like the Android One program does not necessarily guarantee faster, or two-years worth of, OS updates.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Wasn't there a malware issue with CamScanner in the past?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

RE: Nexus chat:

The Galaxy Nexus was my biggest phone purchase regret. poo poo battery, poo poo screen.

The Nexus 5 has been used by myself, then my sister, then my mother, with only a battery replacement required. The most comfortable phone I've used.

My 6p is still working perfectly after I had the battery replaced at the authorized service center last year. If it wasn't for the 3GB RAM, I'd probably be happily using it to this day. Still my favorite phone to date.

The Nokia 7+ I got in 2018 was ok, but was definitely a step down from the 6P. Biggest disappointment was that Nokia refused to allow its bootloader to be unlocked.

My current OP7T is pretty great, but as posted before, I do miss notification LEDs and hope the Always On display is in the next update.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Sillybones posted:

What phone should a poverty person look at?

Where do you live and what's your max budget? That will help us figure out what phone is available there that will fit your needs and price.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Sillybones posted:

-Australia. Budget is a few hundred, but trying to minimise.

E: Echoing the recommendations above regarding Xiaomi - the Redmi Note 5 is 300 AUD, but if you can stretch the budget a bit, the Redmi Note 8 Pro will stay good and updated for a longer period

anakha fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 4, 2020

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

dissss posted:

You can get a Nokia 2.3 for like $150. The hardware isn't going to blow you away and it's giant but the same applies to a Note 4 and at least with the new phone you get a warranty and a new battery.

2GB RAM is gonna be frustrating as gently caress to deal with though.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Sillybones posted:

Is it going to matter for like, chat apps? Phone Discord? For reference, it is replacing Windows 8X (2012).

From my experience, with 2GB RAM, your phone OS will experience hiccups during usage and most of your apps will be kicked out of memory as soon as you minimize or exit. It'll be frustrating to use after a while, especially as many apps continue to increase memory usage as they get updated and add new functionalities.

Imagine exiting an online payment app to quickly google for prices, then accessing the app again to discover that it got kicked out of memory and you have to enter payment details again. Those little frustrations will add up.

4GB RAM is the minimum I would recommend for even a lower-end phone in TYOOL 2020. 2GB was a lot in 2012 (waxes nostalgic about the Nexus 4), but is not enough nowadays.

anakha fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jun 4, 2020

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Stevie Lee posted:

i still have Swype installed

:negative:

Hey fellow Swype still-user.

I still have Swype installed because I swipe in two languages and the experience of having predictions in both languages without having to manually switch is still better on Swype than on anything else I've tried so far.

Granted, I haven't used Swiftkey in literally years, so if their multi-language algorithm and swiping has improved, I'm willing to give that another try.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Appropos tread title is appropos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Can't wait to get off this OnePlus train. Got the 7T two years ago and the battery's gone to poo poo with the Android 11 update it's still stuck on while my work-issued Galaxy A42 5G just got updated to Android 12 last night.

I'm not really willing to spend more that what I spent last time on the 7T and Pixels aren't officially available where I live, so I'm gonna have to go Samsung if I want official warranty with decent software support/updates. Probably gonna have to wait for whatever 5G A-series phones will come out this year (maybe the A73) to take advantage of the 3-year OS update commitment.

anakha fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 24, 2022