Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

docbeard posted:

Same. As it is, my current plan is to wait until (a) my N6 dies or (b) the 6P drops another $100-200 or so. Or I guess til the Pixel Gigantor edition does but I'm guessing that's going to be more of a wait.

Y'know...

This is a pretty smart idea. I may do the same. How much of an upgrade is the 6P over the 6?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

When does the 6p go end of life for support? 2018?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Headphone jack is 100% a deadlbreaker for me. Hopefully their fix their mistake by Pixel 3, but otherwise, I'll ride this Pixel 1 train as long as I can.

It's tremendously convenient to go from a Nintendo Switch, to AUX in my car, to a Vita, to a Phone with one cable. I still don't really understand why this was such a critical thing that just had to be removed...

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'll happily take basic Face ID over this awful Pixel 6 fingerprint sensor. I never realized these could be so bad. The sensor on that back of my phone for the last three Pixel / Nexus I had were fine! What the gently caress Google?!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

K8.0 posted:

I have a Pixel 5a in my household. It is an infinitely superior phone and I really wish I had bought that instead.

My wife rocks a Pixel 5a. I agree - it's a significantly better phone.

Edit: Also, the 6's Fingerprint sensor is a widespread problem, regardless if it's good for some in here and bad for others. A quick google search or diving into r/GooglePixel will easily confirm that for you.

I cannot recommend this phone. Get the 5a, wait until the 7 where it will almost assuredly be fixed.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 7, 2022

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The Merkinman posted:

I think iPhone will sooner go portless than USB-C.

MagSafe is… fine, but wireless charging is absolutely not there yet for mass adoption. Way too much energy lost.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

(captain barbosa voice) yer in one!!!

Yeah, man, there's very valid criticisms of Pixels to be had, even in your posts taken in a more neutral tone, but this thread is *very* pro-Pixel so, good luck!

I’m the weird guy who thinks the 5a is better than the 6. I get jealous of my wife’s 5a all the time. She refuses to swap because she hates the visor on the back.

I think the 7 is going to be way better. I have a love/hate relationship with the 6.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The Pixel 6 caused me to move to iPhone.

It was the worst smartphone I've ever owned. I'm still annoyed I didn't just get a 5a.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Hey man it was the final straw of playing the Google roulette. I used Nexus/Pixel phones for a decade prior to moving on.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Vasler posted:

I think my phone is hosed. Was on the phone with Google support and the warranty expired in October.

I can take the phone to ubreakifix for diagnostics but an actual USB port replacement will cost $600!!

Freaking what?! 600 dollars for a USB port?! That’s criminal.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Looking forward to goons getting their hands on the 6A - I'm on the fence of swapping my wife's 4a with either a 6a or the 7. Please share trip reports when you get the 6a in your hands!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Eh, screw it - went ahead and got the 6A. I had an old iPhone 7 that I was able to get 290 for.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah that's exactly what I did - couldn't say no to getting 290 bucks for a 6 year old phone. Wife doesn't have any kind of wireless earbuds either so win-win for me.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I've seen in a few places that the ANC goes beyond even the Airpods Pro / Beats Fit Pro. It looks like the Buds Pro are the new kings of the 200 dollar market, and even then, they punch above their weight pretty well, comparing to the XM4's favorably.

Seem like a pretty kickass pair of earbuds - I'd buy with confidence.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

i see lots of people got the 6a here, but i was checking the prices and it seems the standard pixel 6 is only $150 more. why wouldn't most people just go all the way in that case?

The trade-in deal for the 6a was fantastic and it came with a free set of Pixel Buds. For example, I traded in an iPhone 7 for 290 dollars and with the free buds the phone effectively cost 60 dollars.

I'm not sure I've seen Google offer a better pre-order deal. It was pretty ridiculous.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Wife got her 6A today. It’s a very snappy phone, honestly kind of jealous. The fingerprint scanner is a lot better than my old 6’s. Makes me kind of miss Android.

Also the Pixel Buds A are fantastic 100 dollar earbuds. She loves them.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

For what it's worth compared to my old Pixel 6 my wife's 6a is noticeably faster and more consistent.

It's still not great though and something like older iPhones are significantly faster.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I know there's folks on both sides of the 6 fingerprint sensor in this thread but they have to improve it significantly for the 7.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Out of curiosity, how good is Dex on a Fold? Do you find yourself ever using it?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Pixel 6 Pro is now 649 on Google store. Should I snag it now or wait for a likely good preorder bonus for the 7 Pro?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

bull3964 posted:

With the early arrival of Android 13, the discounts on the Pixel 6 series and the fact that the Pixel 7 and 7 Pro just passed FCC today, I'm really starting to wonder if we're going to see a Sept launch rather than October (or at least early Oct.)

Wouldn't surprise me honestly (wasn't there a teaser that kinda confirmed September too?). The price cuts are pretty aggressive and they're gonna run out of stock fast.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

5g seems fine on T-Mobile for me as well - could it depend on which 5g band it's using?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

so, i thought the pixel 6 at $499 seemed like a steal and figured the price drop was massive, but found out that it actually launched at $599. but how did they make it so cheap? i wanted to make sure i wasn't going crazy, and yeah, previous pixels launched between $700-$900. so $600 for a flagship phone seems insane to me, especially with all the inflation/supply chain issues. what's the deal?

Pixel 6 is more of a flagship killer. The Pro is the true flagship, which was 900.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Duo was actually really good why the gently caress would you cancel that one?!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Looks like all of that talk about a September release was false. October 13th it is!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

smoobles posted:

A warning for potential Pixel Buds Pro buyers: they're advertised as working with your Windows laptop, but in reality there's a 0.5 - 1 second audio delay, so it's useless for watching videos, having meetings etc.

They should update their advertising, I was looking forward to using my buds as my only set of headphones but they're not really capable of that. Apparently Air Pods work better.

I just double checked my Pixel Bud Pros and they definitely do not do this - you may need to do a warranty repair.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

For what it's worth I've been rocking my Pixel Buds Pro for a few weeks and have been waiting until I've had them for a while to give my opinion. I've used Airpod Pros and Pixel Bud Pros for at least a month each so I have some awareness of the comparisons between the high end true wireless earbud space:

* The battery life is absolutely king on these. They undervalue what it actually represents in real-world experience. I'm regularly able to go through a workday with these without charging them once (8 hours) which is a lot better than what I expected. It's slightly better than the Beats Fit Pro and significantly superior to the Airpod Pros.

* The ANC is comparable to the above two. It blocks sound impressively - a little better than the Beats Fit Pro. Slightly worse than the Airpod Pros (which to me is still king in this world) but is still fantastic. I've barely looked at the XM4's so take this for what it is worth, but I found the Buds Pro to be superior.

* The integration with Android is the exact same as the Airpod Pros and Beats Fit Pros on iOS. It rules and honestly pushes me to pick them above the others in the Android space.

* These are, without a doubt, the most comfortable earbuds I've ever worn. This is somewhat subjective so I've waited until now to say it but I can easily wear these all day.

* The transparency mode is...meh and to me the biggest weakness of these buds. It's...fine but I still find myself talking louder than I really need to in a conversation because the sounds are a little too muffled compared to the other earbuds I have tested. Hopefully this improves over time but as of the day of this posting that's how I have felt.

* The microphone is mediocre - same level as the Beats Fit Pro. Airpods Pro are definitely superior - you can easily hold a conversation with someone but there's clear compression from the other side while talking with these.

* The sound is a little too bass-heavy - reminds me of the Beats Fit Pro. That's fine if you like it but it's definitely not a neutral sound.

Overall...I'm very impressed! They're wonderful for a WFH lifestyle at your home office (probably the best of any I've looked at), and solid but not great in an office setting. The comfort level is super high with them and if these are the things you prioritize on, and can look past the weaknesses (mainly transparency mode IMO) then I think they're best in class for Android.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 11, 2022

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Okay but how do we feel about notches?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

My wife absolutely loves her Fossil Hybrid watch. They've struck gold with it.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Okay yeah gently caress Brave, not touching that with a ten foot pole.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm really hoping the US gets some sort of "Buy a Pixel 7 Pro get a Pixel Watch for free!" situation. I'd jump on that so fast.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm thinking about trading down from the 6 Pro to the base 7. The Pro is too big IMO. Anyone else?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I feel like if they get a better modem and better thermal management it's going to be a major win, even if the rest of the specs are the same.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Ended up pulling the trigger with trading in the 6 Pro for 545 at Best Buy for the base 7. 6 Pro is too big and I've seen enough from the modem and thermal improvements to make it feel justified to me. I also didn't love the curved screen.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Face Unlock looks brilliant on the 7/7 Pro. The fingerprint sensor's gonna be a non issue on it now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTXrD6BEMIk

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

wait wait wait

$300 for a pixel "3A"??

Dude I got 290 for an iPhone 7. It's what finally got my wife to move to the Pixel line. She *loves* her 6a.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/android/274544/pixel-smartphone-sales-disaster-revealed

Quite a depressing picture of the sale of Pixel devices over the past 6 years. I hope to god Google doesn't kill it off.

I find it very hard to believe the 6/6 Pro only did 3 million sales. That's a tremendously popular phone that I see all over the place out in the wild. Certainly more than I ever saw the 3.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Apparently the 7 Pro has worse battery life than the base 7 which is...baffling to me.

BonoMan posted:

Is going from 60 to 90hz screens just not a huge jump or do my eyes suck? Just went from a Pixel 3 to 6 and... I mean everything is nice but I don't notice the higher refresh rate at all. (again not a deal breaker... just wondering if some folks aren't sensitive to it enough or if it's just a small bump)

I definitely found it to be very overstated. I have a 6 Pro and my wife has a 6a and I don't notice a huge difference between the phones. It's....there I guess, but it's definitely not this generational leap some people make it out to be.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah overall I'm liking what I am hearing for the 7 lineup. The modem looks to be a clear improvement and the heating is mildly improved (still gets warm but not as hot as the 6/Pro). It's definitely not a major upgrade but it looks to be classic Gen 2 vs Gen 1 tech stuff.

As sad as it is the killer feature for me to upgrade from 6 Pro to 7 is actually face unlock.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Mrwhosetheboss has an absolutely glowing review for the 7/Pro. It's probably the most positive one I've seen so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPZnKfTzv5s