Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mr Executive posted:

Not much. I just backed up contacts/pictures to google, remembered which apps I needed to redownloaded, and wiped the phone. I reinstalled/reconfigured everything this morning when I had a couple hours of downtime sitting in a big* ol auditorium.

*notoriously big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

FistEnergy posted:

Full Note 5 leak:

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/08/04/samsung-galaxy-note-5-pictures/

No SD card slot, no removable battery, smaller battery than Note 4. Looks boring. Internet is Real Mad.

Lack of SD bugs me, but only because US Cellular insists on stocking only the lowest-capacity version of every phone. It's so loving stupid.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

BoyBlunder posted:

Battery life on my Nexus 6 is pretty bad, what's the reason? Is it my signal? I'm on stock OS, not rooted or anything.

Screen on time is 29m right now.
Keep awake is the following:

Android system: 12m31s
Android OS: 40m56s
Google services: 14m17s
System UI: 7m12s
Google App: 1m44s
Hangouts: 1m37s

Um, your battery life looks totally normal to me? I've never had a phone do better than what your screenshots are showing unless I left it totally idle and never so much as checked the time on it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hooah posted:

What am I not getting? It seems to be some sort of viral thing for an HBO show, but which, and why is it linked from that letter?

Seems like maybe they are implying that they are jumping on board the ridiculous startup culture of "get lots of money by telling stupid VC types you will make pizza drones" and the link is a wink-nod that they know how stupid this all is.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
The problem with distributing the primary filesystem onto the SD card is that it opens the possibility that files are split across the internal memory and the SD, possibly even system files, and if that flaky, unreliable SD card goes tits up the whole phone is hosed unless you reflash it.

Hypothetically the system could keep track of which disk addresses are on the NAND and not place system critical files outside it, but do we honestly expect Google not to gently caress that up somehow?

Plus, if data can be coming from either fast internal memory or slow SD card memory it makes it much harder to write a well-performing IO scheduler. Again, something I don't trust Google to get right on the first try.

The real answer is for manufacturers to stop releasing phones with <64 gigs of internal storage, but carriers are loving terrified of trying to convince consumers to pay the extra $50. I am stuck with only 32gigs in my Note 4 because US Cellular refuses to even stock the 64 gig version.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

What does "Priv" mean?
https://youtu.be/5pF477abcPE?t=43s

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Is there a way to transfer your android/google play stuff to another account? A friend is transitioning and is trying to move from her boyname@gmail.com address to girlname@gmail.com, and as the computer guy she came to me for help. I can't find anything outside of 3-year-old reddit posts. Anyone have any tips? She'd really prefer not to have her phone constantly reminding her of her old identity.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I just switched from a note 4 to a pixel. When I connected my note4 to my mazda3 i could see track info and skip tracks for any music player on my phone. with the same players on the pixel nothing shows up. is there some sort of hidden bluetooth setting I'm not finding that enables sending this data to the car's head unit? Or is this just a dumb regression between Marshmallow and Nougat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Blue Train posted:

It seems like it's an issue with the car and most people are saying that it would need a software update. Here's someone with a similar situation as you

Same issue here. 2013 Mazda 3 and Galaxy S5. They played well together until Lollipop, and now I can listen and change songs, but I can't view metadata. I was hoping 5.1.1 would fix the problem, but it hasn't. I usually use Spotify, but I've tried a couple of other apps with no success.

And the solution

The profiles in the S3 and S5 are different. (New phones get new software.) Evidently your car's system can't communicate metadata with an S5. See if Honda has an update for the system (check the service department).

Huh. My car is a 2016 so I wouldn't have thought it'd be that out of date already.