Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

spincube posted:

I just think it's insane that they went to all the effort to tie up Oreo to the date of the solar eclipse, and instead of being all here it is! this is our new phone software! we think it's amazing! if you're using one of our phones you'll get it right now! go nuts!, Pixel owners have absolutely no idea when they can expect their Google phone to get the new Google software.

Could you give an example of a major software rollout that hits all users on day one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

IuniusBrutus posted:

iOS updates?

No, they roll out too. You can mash refresh and force it, or go through iTunes, but if you're just letting it auto-update it'll pick a day that month.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

spincube posted:

You know, I can't. That doesn't make it any less silly that the deece six-figgy-men at Google are all 'Come meet our new phone OS, where we'll show you [features], on [date] at [time]!' - when will the phones you designed get the new phone OS you made, Google? - 'hosed if we know! :v: Better hope nothing fucks up I guess?'

Maybe instead of making up fake quotes to support a silly position, you could understand why it happens?
Companies roll out because the alternative is millions of people hitting the servers on the release hour and no one gets it. See: major game releases over the last few years.
Additionally it means a bug that causes issues for 0.1% of users, and ergo missed beta testers, affects at most hundreds of people not 10's of thousands and overwhelms any possible support response.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Tiny Lowtax posted:

No it's not an app. It's just a feature of the camera on all iPhones 6s or newer.

Upload them to Google photos. It shows the still on the web / the app and lets you download it, as well as a mov of the animated part.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

QY8's are hidden gold and out-perform a lot of wireless options under $100 outright.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Why the gently caress does a 720p phone need a SD835? Think of what the battery life would be if they matched the display to an appropriate SoC and put a SD626 in there.

That'll make battery drain tests look better, but in real-world usage a faster processor is nearly always more efficient as it'll complete whatever task it needed to do and go back to sleep quicker.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Tell that to the G5+ and Moto Z Play.

The play in particular is built from the ground up around a 3500mah battery with each part of it designed to save battery, (less RAM, lower-res & dimmer AMOLED) simply swapping in a lower-spec processor into something else isn't going to do that.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Doesn't go aptX.
Just get a ~$25 receiver and plug it in every ~4hrs? Avantree do one, I've got a couple of their other adaptors and they work really well.
Alternatively, you're not going to pick between AptX and AAC audio using the kind of DAC those units ship with, so don't fret it.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Taffer posted:

Maybe in another 10 years when the transmission quality and reliability don't suck, when the devices are more affordable, and when batteries last more than a few hours.
I feel like you said this 10 years ago, and haven't revised your opinion.
$20-30 BT headphones do all this.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

grack posted:

More accurate. Better extension at both ends of the audio spectrum. No funky impedance drops over the audible range. No harshness or sibilance in the mid-upper treble range. No absurdly heavy bass.

Is that good enough?

Most people can't blind-test 160kbs AAC from lossless with good sound equipment.
Almost no-one can reliably blind-test 192kbs AAC with very good sound equipment
At about 256kbs you need very very specific problem samples to pick between them
At 320kbs even hardcore audiophiles will admit it's transparent and use this for "non archive" purposes.

AptX HD is a more modern codec than AAC and operates at 576kbps.
LDAC works at 990kbps.
You are not hearing the difference, sorry.

The tech has gotten a lot better in the last handful of years, you're thinking of the now-ancient SBC which manages to be worse than mid-rate Mp3.

There's no need to ditch your wired headphones, but equally "audio quality" isn't a reason to buy wired any more, outside of "here's my $1000 headphones and $500 DAC" people.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

Haven't they started making (high-end, $300+ range) headphones that simply cut out the DAC and just deliver a digital signal right to the drivers? I want to say it was a third-party chipset that allowed it.

Holy poo poo, those things have hilarious marketing.

quote:

Exclusively designed 45mm True Motion D/A drivers feature a four-core voice coil (just a single-core on ATH-DSR7BT) that process the digital signals into smooth movements of the diamond-like carbon material coated diaphragm.
Hmm.
What's it called when you turn digital signals into analogue movement?

There literally has to be a DAC, but they're apparently not calling it one.

That said making decent DACs in 2017 isn't hard, and anything inside a higher-end headphone is going to be very good. A very average DAC in a headset is going to sound better than a very good DAC in a phone, since phones are a huge source of electrical interference.
I remember a lot of testing of the jobs-era iPhone [which had a high-end DAC] that concluded there was a bigger difference between a iPhone in airplane mode and not, than between the mediocre DACs and the iPhones.
Neither of which was particularly audible.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Hate to sound like a YouTuber, but dbrand skins are a really nice mid-point between case and non-case if you love the form factor but not the material.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Palladium posted:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/samsung-makes-disabling-bixby-button-easier-still-wont-let-you-remap-it/

"Hey at least we let you disable the dumb Bixby button now, but lol nope you can't use the button for anything else because we can't be using our $10 billion/year marketing budget on non-poo poo software design"

You've been able to re-map the button for a long time using 3rd party aps; this is just an option to disable it if you'd rather just do that.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Had you perhaps not set a timezone or otherwise had a bad time sync on the clock?
That's about the only reason it would give codes that fail, rather than simply have missing codes.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

The Pixel Buds are using BT4.2 and not BT5. :laffo:

You know BT5 does nothing for audio headphones, right?
It's an extension to the low-energy spec. Bluetooth audio is still completely contained within bluetooth core, which hasn't changed.

Bluetooth 5 is about having better range to your wireless home control, which may at some point swap to BT instead of WiFi as a result.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

The ability to offer higher range and bandwidth can conversely translate to better reliability near range. Especially when there's a lot of RF crap around. I've read plenty of complaints of flaky BT audio in areas with crowded 2.4GHz. The official FAQ of the Bluetooth 5 working group even specifically advertises higher reliability in that situation.

There's a lot of misinformation around BT5, but none of these advantages are going to be applicable to audio over BT; it will use the older spec for it. The modes for higher range OR greater throughput relate to BLE.
If anything did use BT5 for audio transmission, it wouldn't be backwards compatible.

That's why there are a grand total of precisely zero BT5 headsets in existence.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

waxluthor posted:

Anybody have any experience with the new Nokia phones? I found a retailer around Vancouver selling the Nokia 8 at a "reasonable" $750 CAD. A little tempted since my Nexus 6 is out of support now, don't want to spend $1000+ CAD for a Pixel, and the Android One Moto and HTC are not available here.

I used a Nokia 6 for ~48hrs when buying one for my father and getting it all set up.
It's a really nice phone for the £179 I paid.
vs the G5 line it's much nicer in the hand, has a subjectively nicer screen and is much closer to stock than the G5. Against: camera isn't as good, the 1080p screen is paired to a 430 so it's going to lag on anything games (though video tested 1080p@60fps was fine), but actual use for the web, maps, YT and such was really nice.
The Nokia 6 in particular has those hard edges and flat sides everyone loved from the iPhones that had them.

I used a Nokia 8 (work loaned) for much less actual hands-on time, but my observations were similar: they're exceedingly good phones for the price though not necessarily as good all-round as the market segment each one is aiming for. At like 2/3 -> 3/4 the price though? They're a nice phone to sit out a year of flagships on if nothing appeals.
I had zero complaints, everything about it is really competent, though nothing wowed like a Pixel 2 does. i.e. camera is just a good camera, it doesn't make photos in 2seconds that look like they were in lightroom and curve tweaked for 2hours.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Man just from two minutes of handling an iPhone x and I'm really digging the full screen concept. Shame the essential ended up being such a disappointment

It might be a disappointment, but the price has fallen to compensate. It's now a good phone for the money.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

underage at the vape shop posted:

Are big screens that cover the phones front face hear to stay? I really like my S8 but I have really big hands and I keep touching the screen when watching videos in bed, it's giving me the shits. It's not even the curved bit, it's how close the top and bottom are to the edge.

2 good options:
- a case
- stop trying to avoid the edges. If you just hold it normally the phone rejects the touches. If you're trying not to touch the edges, and then do accidentally, it registers as intentional.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

KingKapalone posted:

What's the goon recommended case for an S8+? Also any pro tips I might not think of when setting it up? I saw a guide on how to make it more like stock Android.

Anything UAG is good, or whatever you've used previously and like. Pretty much every case manufacturer does something for the S8.

You can use either nova launcher or Google's launcher which both look more stock. Google's is the only way to get swipe right to now a thing that isn't hacky.

That said touchwiz on the S8 is pretty inoffensive and does add a few nice touches.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Is it Gorilla 5?
Gorilla 5 scratches hella easily. Every phone that's used it has had people complaining.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Complete that look with the Dark Pixel icon pack, I really like that one.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I see the Google apps / specific function folder conflict writ large in your folder previews.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

strap on revenge posted:

related, is there a way to get rid of the google search bar in the dock (:cripes:) without switching launchers on the pixel 2? it's legitimately one of the things stopping me from buying it

No, that isn't an element you can delete.
Would strongly disagree that this is a deal-breaker on any device, but that's your call I suppose. Other launchers can be made to look identical if you want that.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I created a calendar just for now/feeds and toggle that on when I know I want it to appear in my feed.
It's dumb to need to have a workaround but you can work around it if you try.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

KingKapalone posted:

Is there a way on my new S8+ to double tap a lock screen notification and have it open to that app? That's what I'm used to from my Nexus 6P.

It does this from the AOD, or from the lockscreen you swipe down then tap once.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

I'm confused - are Google phones Google or HTC / LG? Are iPhones from Foxconn?

You guys do know things like optical drives, hard drives and other consumer electronics are made in 1-3 factories according to the orders of dozens of different manufacturers, right?

Do you understand what brand licensing is, and why selling a badge and outsourcing manufacture are different things?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

You need a bigger disclaimer, because that's nonsense.
An SSID is just a user-level identifier for the network, spoofing one doesn't do anything other than allow social engineering type attacks.
FWIW most devices store and re-connect based on BSSID (these are unique to the AP) if the SSID isn't unique.
That means if you have 4 entires for "[coffeeshop] WiFi" it won't auto-connect to a new SSID matching "[coffeeshop] WiFi".

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Ola posted:

It varies between networks and devices. I got a new router from my ISP. Set it up with the same SSID and password as before. Between our household devices, an iPhone, Macbook Air and my Android phone all connected to the new network without complaining. My Windows laptop warned that the network had changed. But to spoof it you need to know the password and if you know the password you can do loads of other stuff. Besides, a coffeeshop WiFi can do man in the middle stuff from the get-go.

Yeah you're describing how it should work. Your ssid would be unique so your devices should assume it's the same actual device and network.
If it's a common one you'd have most devices ignoring it till you explicitly tried to connect.
Neither way is a security concern, the latter behaviour just tries to stop roaming onto WiFi that's not useful to you.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

isndl posted:

BSSID can be spoofed, same as everything else. Like I said, it doesn't matter unless you're being targeted by state actors (because nobody else is going to track down what networks some random Joe connected to in the past to arrange the MITM attack). :shrug:

Spoofing an SSID or a BSSID gets you precisely zero steps closer to a MITM attack [your target here being SSL] if your target is "state actors" - it's script kiddie poo poo and if anyone was actually doing this they'd really just be waving a flag and scaring off the mark. Actual attacks are sophisticated.
You're just describing people wardriving with fake APs and trying to get people to associate with the fake one. The hayday for this was like 2005 or something before encryption was default-on. It's also why most devices warn you the connection is Open; so [myhomewifi (OPEN)] will have Windows etc flag it and not [myhomewifi (WPA)].
If someone were to try to get you through their AP they'd be dissociating you from the current network, and have you trying to connect to theirs. Clearing stored networks from somewhere else is completely irrelevant to this threat.

So no, there's really no reason to delete these networks.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Alpha Mayo posted:

I am thinking about rooting my S7 Edge. It looks like this would trip KNOX from what I see of the current methods

I don't care about the warranty, but would that mean losing access to Banking apps, 'Secured" apps, Google Pay, etc? Or does Magisk make this a non-issue?

It breaks a lot of poo poo - Netflix, Android Pay, Samsung pay, Samsung health, some other health apps, secure folders etc. Not to mention it makes it trivial to re-use your device and steal your existing data in case of loss/theft.
Netflix mostly works with Magisk but the rest of it not.

For whatever reason you want to root, it's almost certainly not worth it.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

oh, sorry; a bunch of places use the terms interchangeably - I meant in-ear, which is why I'm not considering Airpods (in addition to all the iPhone-specific stuff :v:)

for reference, I've been using the cheap Panasonic ones that used to be recommended by Wirecutter for like 4 years now (having gone through... 6 or 7 pairs?), so just looking for that level of quality https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E4LGVUO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anker do a range of BT headphones that are actually OK - in the sense they'll compete with the ones you're used to, or be better than.
They have a few options to suit whatever shape you want, just search them out on Amazon. They're about $20-30.

Anker have really good customer service, so getting a dud shouldn't be an issue.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

HPL posted:

How has Nokia support for Android been so far? The one thing that done me nuts with Symbian was how Nokia dropped support for their phones pretty much right after they were released because they were releasing new phones at such a furious pace.

Just wanted to chime in on this and say the Nokia 6 I bought for my dad in October has got every security update since, and within about a week.
Oreo (8.0) is rolling out for it now. They did the Nokia 8 a while back.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

I dunno, the Pixel 2 camera is so good, it's magical. It blew my Note 8 out of the water. I'm sure the S9 camera is amazing but anyone thinking it will be noticably better than the Pixel 2 is kidding themselves

Grab the Google camera APK and you've got the Pixel 2's magic image fuckery on the note 8.
S9 + apk ought to be the best imagery on a smartphone this year, assuming someone gets the changeable aperture working.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Depends what you're shooting, but no the Pixel 2 camera is miles ahead of my Note 8, especially when it comes to any kind of HDR, portrait mode, or difficult lighting conditions.

A DSLR is significant better if you know what you're doing, they're not even comparable. I do agree that phones have replaced point and shoots though.

Give the APK a try. For me, it closed the gap enough to remove any desire to buy the Pixel 2 (the S8 I use is technically loaned).
All the top-end cameras are really close, but in a difficult lighting condition the P2/apk dumps on the X and S8/note8.

S8:

S8 with APK:

The Google-cam keeps all the highlights under control. The anti-noise on the default app has also smoothed a lot of detail with the noise (the wood, the texture on the wall).
The default app also over-sharpens by a ton and makes weird artefacts on many things if you're prone to pixel-peep.

This all said running the APK is glitchy so only use it if you're shooting something with a lot of dynamic range, or want to use the portrait-mode magic.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

This but also remote desktop stuff. And yeah I want to stream video from my home network to my phone but that's probably better suited through the cloud with plex or whatever.

Microsoft have a fully supported RD client on the play store.
If you want to control your phone from PC then airdroid works really well.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

orange sky posted:

What's this photo APK you guys are talking about and where can I get it?

It's the Pixel's camera software, re-packaged to run on whatever.
https://www.xda-developers.com/google-camera-mod-portrait-mode-lens-blur-4k-video/
https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/

Khablam fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 6, 2018

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is the Note line much different from the regular Galaxy S line? I always just thought it was a bigger Galaxy S.

Size, stylus and attendant functionality, one headline feature lacking on the Galaxy line (e.g. dual cameras this time around).

I flashed Oreo onto my S8. Side-by-side to my friend's P2 it's equally smooth and lagless now.
Honestly I think any flagship based on 835 or 845 is going to be lag free regardless of OEM interference. We're over a basic baseline now where the hardware being thrown at the problem is a solution even without optimisations being done.
The S9 and Note 8 beat the iPhone 8/X in some testing scenarios purely because they're throwing 6Gb of RAM around.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

European prices always suck. I'm guessing it's going to be $200 on Amazon Prime

OTOH budget devices like it get subsidised as loss-leaders by companies almost their entire shelf-life.
The Nokia 6 (gen 1) released for £220 but it's been available at £160-170 pretty much everywhere since release; technically bundled with a SIM or whatever, but unlocked and you're effectively getting a discount to cross-fingers-swear you'll use the SIM.

Whatever market you're in, this is going to land right in that moto price point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I don't understand why Android device makers have 30 different phones every year, like the Samsung stuff. Ss, A series, J series, Primes... Surely all you need is a few in the high, middle and low end, then it's much easier to support and update them.

Dafuq is the problem? What's the rationale for all these models? Why do the ODMs occasionally say they'll cut the bullshit number of phones then hardly budge the number? Why don't more manufacturers just fire out devices with little additions and faster updates, even if it's just the monthly security patches?

That's what everyone wants.

I'm confused.

Because there's "low end" for an enthusiast (iPhone SE / Nokia 6 / Moto G5 etc) and there's soccer-mom low-end, where they're looking for one particular thing and have $90 to budget for it. Or, "free" on contract.
All those phones have some weird USP that lets carrier stores sell cheap phones with low effort. "Oh you like cameras, here's the one with the best camera" "oh yeah this has the largest (cough 480p) screen, bigger than an iPhone!"
It's also easier to sell someone a specific item out of a large selection than it is to convince them to buy the one thing you're selling; the buyer feels more empowered.

I don't know for sure but suspect they're pretty much entirely made for carriers by OEMs just to sell contracts. They'll never get updates and most apps are generic/ported but the buyer usually doesn't notice.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 9, 2018