Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
There is something weird going on with the Moto x 2014 I got a couple of weeks ago. Whenever I go on a road trip google search consumes massive amounts of data in the background. I am talking about 1.3 gb in 2 ~300 mile trips. Now, I know that google now usage is part of google search, but I never had a problem like this with my previous android (which wasn't using lollipop) and google now turned on. Has anyone had a similar issue? I don't want to turn off all background data for google search, but it would be a waste to have to upgrade my data plan just for google now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

LastInLine posted:

That is crazy and I've never seen it. I wish I had a suggestion on how to stop it but I don't.

Just wanted to reply to this because i found the culprit. Commute sharing was on on google now, and since i went on the road trips straight after work google now kept broadcasting as if I was on my commute home. That was what ate up so much data.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

SuperDucky posted:

I have that commute sharing thing on, but its not shared with anyone. Do you have it shared on G+ or was this just an accident/fluke? Mine doesn't eat up data like that and I have a 53 mile commute each way each weekday.

I have it shared with my wife. Also, I'd say that it was probably not just the length of the drive, but the fact that it didn't "end" (i.e., I didn't get home that day), and that it had to constantly reroute to find ETA for home. I haven't played around with it enough to find out the particulars of the issue, but the basics are pretty much what I described: 2 dates with huge data spikes for google now, which were also dates where I went out of town straight after work. I hadn't had that issue on trips before turning on commute sharing, after turning it off, or on days where my trips did not start to/from work.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Just got my pixel, and one thing that i an missing is that my old moto had a Google now widget that would include things like weather, some scores etc. Somehow, i can't find a similar one in the pixel. Is there a 4x3 or similar widget that gets the now feed on the pixel?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

AlexF posted:

Wouldn't that just be the Google widget in the widget menu? :)

Figured out what happened. I used the switch to move stuff from my old moto X, and the moto X used the google now launcher, which is incompatible with the pixel, so it just went away. I had to install the pixel launcher, and that one had the widget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Is "data saver" the new " Restrict app background data" on newer versions of android? I will be traveling abroad and can't seem to find the old " Restrict app background data" option, only the data saver option, which in turn only seems to restrict cellular data.