Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Electromax posted:

I'm pretty happy with my OPO that fell into my lap from a friend, my old Nexus 4 went in the drawer. Fast, looks good, some neat features in CMod (to me, since I never did that with other phones), and the battery lasts me 2 days on workdays.

I haven't followed any of the drama with the makers or whatever though, but this seems like it'll be my phone for the next couple years I'd think. People seem to dislike it a lot around here but a lot of what I read just talks about the company rather than that specific phone, so just figured I'd say I'm happy with it.

Nah, it isn't just the company, though they're bad. The OPO also has some hardware issues (yellow screen) and all the software issues that come with Cyanogen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Maneki Neko posted:

So after using iOS for a while and going back to lollipop I find myself really missing two things: app extensions (aka 1password filling in fields automatically in safari and some 3rd party apps) and touchid.

Does something comparable to app extensions not exist in android, or can I just not find it?

The android devices I have don't have a fingerprint scanner, for those that do how well does it actually work? Does it have the same ability to replace passcodes generically for any app that supports them, or does the implementation vary by vendor?

LastPass fills in apps and Chrome, so I imagine any similar app should too. For fingerprint scanners, I know there are bad ones (Galaxy S5) and some that aren't as bad, just in terms of it reading your finger on the first try easily, but I don't think any are near as good as iPhone and I'm almost positive the integration in software is poor.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Hatter106 posted:

Has anyone had any issues with hi-res images being downscaled since Lollipop? No matter how large of an image I download to my Nexus 4, when I zoom in there's no detail. Didn't have this issue before.
Honestly the new Photos app is complete poo poo. I don't care about "Auto Awesome", I just want my chronological folders back.

When I open Photos, they're sorted into days with thumbnails. The photos look as good as they do in any other app.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RZA Encryption posted:

I've been thinking about getting a Nexus 6 though AT&T, can you just flash the image from https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images and be rid of the AT&T stuff?

I believe there's some stuff it does by detecting what network your sim card is on, but I could be wrong. Let me see if I can find that...

E: Ah, looks like the bloatware is installed upon activation with an AT&T sim in. Set it up with the sim out and that should help. The boot animation I think can only be removed if you're rooted, then you can just rename/remove the file. Flashing the factory image will not remove it. There's an OEM partition with all that nice AT&T stuff. http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6/general/remove-att-carrier-customization-thread-t2947581

Oh hey, I should have kept reading. Unlock the bootloader, then "fastboot erase oem" should get rid of all that garbage, no root necessary.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 29, 2014

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Ochowie posted:

I hate to do this, but I might "rent" the N6 from Best Buy and see if it really is too big. My main concern is that the 6+ sticks out of the pocket of some of my jeans so the N6 might be way too big. The Moto stuff along with Moto Maker is what keeps pulling me towards the X.

The Nexus 6 is only barely bigger than iPhone 6+. If the iPhone is too big, the Nexus will be. If it isn't, the Nexus won't be either.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
If you're ok with doing a factory reset, you can always put KitKat back on it and not update it back to Lollipop for awhile. Then you can be more confident that it is or is not a hardware problem.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Deathlove posted:

How Verizoned up is the Z3v? Friend is asking for a new non-Motorola, smaller-than-Galaxy-S3 phone, but I recall hearing they REALLY Verizoned the poo poo out of that thing, even if my wife loves her Z3c.

It is a rebranded full size Z2, not a Z3c. Only option for your friend is moving to a carrier compatible with Z3c, iPhone 5s, or sucking it up and going with a 2013 Moto X.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Eremys posted:

I'm trying to decide between ditching iOS for a nexus 6 but I'm wondering if you guys know a way to replicate my experience using goodreader on iOS. Basically I edit and highlight PDFs on my iPad and then sync them to Dropbox where they are stored. Goodreader allows 2 way syncing all within the app but is there a way to sync PDFs on an android phone so that I can read edited PDFs after editing them on my iPad? I know there's dropsync but is there a good way of getting google play books or some other app to view a folder that's synced using dropsync that I don't need to export with or open with every time?

Android can set defaults for opening different types of files, and you have access to the file system. I save science articles into Dropbox and Box on my PC. Then I use an app called Foldersync to automatically sync my Dropbox and Box PDF-filled folders onto my tablet. Then I just open them in Adobe Reader, either using a file manager or from within the Adobe Reader app. Comments, highlights, etc all show up, whether made on the tablet or PC (or phone). Most apps that open media will automatically scan your storage and show any media they can open, but without knowing exactly what you're trying to do, I can't say if it will work exactly how you want.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Eremys posted:

I'm basically trying to do the same thing - I have articles and textbooks that when I'm home I often edit on my iPad but I would really like to be able to open them on my phone when I'm away from home. I like the interface of Google books but it seemed like using it required a cumbersome upload process. Into what folder in the file system do you usually save your PDFs?

It doesn't matter, anywhere works. Foldersync lets you decide where. I think mine are in the Download folder, with separate folders for Dropbox and Box. Try Adobe Reader, I have found it to be the best PDF app. Google Play Books isn't the best at opening local media, I don't think. I do think Android will work for what you want in this case. I don't know how Goodreader organizes files, but it will probably be not as good on Android. Mine are basically roughly organized into subfolders, as I arrange/manage everything primarily on a PC, but they are easy to search by date or name or whatever, since you can use a file explorer/manager on Android. Whether that's good or bad is probably up to you, but functionally you should be able to do everything you want.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

BoyBlunder posted:

Serious question.

I've got a 64GB Moto X 2014 coming my way. I have a (fully) unlimited T-Mobile plan. Should I return it, keep all my poo poo in the cloud (I do a lot of music streaming), and get a 32GB instead?

I don't play a lot of games. What else would I fill up 64GB with?

Keep in mind the higher resale value makes up some of the difference, too.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Harveygod posted:

I'm having an issue with my wife's new Samsung Galaxy S5: The phone keeps turning off WiFi.

I've connected it to my home WiFi, but the phone says that it is "Turned Off" and is instead using Mobile Data:

When I turn off Mobile Data, then the phone starts using WiFi:
1:
2:
3:

Turning on/off "Smart Network Switch" doesn't seem to have any effect.

This is a brand-new phone. The OS is 4.4.2. I'm pulling my hair out over this.

I'd rather not have to return it, since she really likes the phone.

Check any battery saver settings, check the phone's wifi settings for anything like "smart switch" or anything that sounds like it is automating the handoff between mobile data and wifi, check that the "wifi timer"(haha why is this a thing?) isn't on, check that there aren't any apps like greenify or battery savers or antivirus garbage that are preventing the phone from using wifi.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

The Merkinman posted:

They were first in line so they get a potentially buggy version, but then Google goes to fix those bugs (delaying future rollouts until fixed) and that's bad too?

Yep, funny isn't it.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

robodex posted:

What are you guys doing on your phones to not have any memory issues with Lollipop? :psyduck:

I have to restart my N5 pretty much every single day since after a day of use things start to go to poo poo. Homescreen redraws, apps running out of memory, crashing--it's definitely not flawless.

It got so bad with stock I finally caved and unlocked my bootloader and install a custom ROM to see if one had fixed the problems (it didn't.)

[edit] Also this sort of poo poo is inexcusable considering these memory issues were prevalent throughout the beta. People were reporting them since day 1 and they still never fixed them. It's broken as poo poo and I'm at the point where I'm saving up to go back to iPhone.

I don't know that I do anything special, but 5.0.1 made a dramatic improvement in the memory leak for me. On 5.0, I would start getting homescreen redraws within like 24-36 hours. On 5.0.1, they only start happening after maybe 3-4 days, and are never anywhere near as severe. Still not great and something to be fixed, but it went from being actively obnoxious to something that is basically ignorable.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Good, I don't want it on my primary communication device until Google gets their poo poo in order.

I've had lollipop preview then release on my primary communication device since, what, June? It owns

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

baka kaba posted:

Yeah it's the absolute worst design decision, it's actually frustrating at times. The control in the power menu was Good and they removed it for reasons.

And there needs to be a way to hide heads-up notifications too (if I'm watching a video I don't want popups) but that's more of an annoyance, having your sound constantly interrupted by PINGs and volume ducking with no easy way to stop it is way worse

Yep, these are the two big complaints I have. Unfortunately they aren't bugs, just bad decisions (or fortunately, given how long some bugs stick around?).

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

I've complained about my Moto X's battery life before, but now I have some solid numbers to back it up. I'm consistently burning 5% battery life per hour in standby mode. That's with power management software that keeps apps from updating in the middle of the night. And this is a phone which is probably 3 months old.

I probably need to set everything back to factory defaults, but I was hoping Lollipop would drop first. What's the best way to reset an Android device? Is it just a factory data reset?

Is that Moto's stock power management software or what? These kinds of apps can be counterproductive, though I would trust the built in power management to not be too horrible. If you do want to reset your phone, it is just a factory data reset, yeah.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Daily Forecast posted:

Are you near a 4G connection or wi-fi 100% of the time, forever, always?

If the answer is no then keeping poo poo on the cloud is stupid.

Nah, but the cloud is still awesome. Photos backed up as soon as I take them to Google and Dropbox, music is stored in Google Play and can be pinned when needed or streamed (and not count against my data, thanks T-Mobile), contacts automatically transfer to any device I log into, files/pictures I've saved to Dropbox or Google Drive on a computer can be opened on any device, I don't ever have to worry about a phone dying or getting lost because I won't lose anything. The cloud owns

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

I think it makes more sense this way regarding right-handed operation since the back button is used much more than the multitask button and is closer to my thumb this way. :ymmv:

If you're holding it in your right hand, you have to contort your thumb a lot more to reach the right most button than the left most button. It naturally falls on the left most button without much effort. Samsung fails again.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Guillermus posted:

I'm left handed so the back button being on the right side is more comfortable for me.

The post I quoted specifically said "right handed operation" :negative: I am right handed but probably hold it in both hands equal amounts of time!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Deep Winter posted:

I'm holding my Galaxy S5 (in a Trident case) in my right hand, and notice that I literally can't reach the multi window (left side) and how very easy it is to press the right button. After testing that, I smile to myself, knowing that, no, I'm not crazy, and this thread's hate for Samsung is crazy and uncalled for. Carry on your frothing rage, though.

lol good call, my rage is definitely frothing

Did you quote the wrong post??

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

LastInLine posted:

The last version with a default clock widget was Donut, 1.6. Eclair, Froyo, and Gingerbread had nothing at all on the default homescreen, and Honeycomb up through to Lollipop has the Google search bar at the top. Once folders were added it became the default to have a folder of Google apps right above the dock.

That isn't true, Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4 both had a clock widget by default. Not the big numbers one, but the clock face widget. I'm pretty sure they did, anyway.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Stoat posted:

Haha! The default setting on Lollipop is to be reminded of all your all-day calendar events at 8am via vibration, even in airplane mode! This woke me up this morning! It was very funny, I am in no way mad!!!

Why would airplane mode stop your calendar reminders?? You want your calendar to become worthless if you're somewhere without service?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Stoat posted:

No but I didn't touch the default calendar notification settings because I assumed it wasn't 8am in the morning for all day events.

Should you be notified of an all day event at... noon? 12:01am? Or perhaps a time that is not inconveniently/disruptively early but likely before something scheduled to start in the morning?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

hooah posted:

God dammit, why does the downtime turn itself off?? Happened twice in 10 minutes last night, and it just happened tonight while I was showering.

Didn't you replace the battery recently? Seems pretty plausible you messed something up or got a bad replacement battery or something.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Allaniis posted:

Who really knows if the issues that arise are software or hardware?

Who says it isn't "and", haha

We know the software will be perpetually buggy and almost-there, as long as it's running CM. For hardware, it is entirely expected that a small OEM trying to use high end hardware while undercutting everyone else on price might end up with lots of quality control issues at the very least.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Whizbang posted:

You can keep posting "well shucks guys my phone works" all you want, it doesn't mean a massive amount of people aren't having problems that Google hasn't fixed until at least 5.03 which doesn't exist yet.

I wonder if people are more likely to post about it when they have a problem or when things are working fine.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Deep Winter posted:

See, here Is The Thing, they aren't equivalent. It working is the assumed default, the expected outcome. "But plenty of people have complaints" okay great but that information is meaningless?

Exactly. Every update ever in the history of everything has had people complain about something. Requiring 0 hits on "update [x] bugs" before you update just means you'd never update anything.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

codo27 posted:

The camera in the Nexus 4 is, as you know, complete garbage. The camera is an important feature to me (this is why I'm coming from the Nokia 1020). Also 16gb of storage might be enough for a Sega Genesis or something but not for me. Rooted with 5.0.2 though its quick and responsive (likely just by comparison as a result of coming from WP). I'm thinking about the OPO, $350 isn't a big investment. Is there anything else out there at a similar price point that should be on my radar? Obviously not Samsung, HTC, etc, something more common you hear about all the time.

A $350 OPO is 16 GB, isn't it? Are you a Sega Genesis?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Shannow posted:

Is there a simple way to get my N5 to stop nagging me to update to 5.1?

Update it? (It's 5.0.1 too, FYI)

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

teagone posted:

Am I dumb, or is there not a way to make the home screen rotate on my phone?

Use a different launcher

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

teagone posted:

Welp. I don't really want to have to install a launcher just to get my home screen to rotate. I'll deal. At least my Moto G finally has 5.0.2 :neckbeard:

It's pretty trivial to install Nova or Apex or something that looks very similar to stock but has more options. I just use stock, but it isn't hard at all to switch.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Really? I've heard good things about the Moto G, but is the S4 mini seriously that bad? The toss-up is:

S4 mini dual-sim (valued at 200 E on Groupon.. only other phones are iphones, which I refuse to buy, and a Samsung Galaxy Alpha SM G850 which would cost me 200E credit plus 200E more)

or

We use the 200 E credit to buy random junk like a portable hard drive, lovely restaurant vouchers etc, and then I cough up 160 E out of pocket to pay for a Moto G at some point

Is random junk really better than a free(ish) S4 mini? I don't mean that sarcastically I'm just surprised. My girlfriend has the 4g version and it doesn't seem too bad.

I would buy random stuff with it and buy the Moto G out of pocket, yes. The Galaxy S4 Mini was bad when it came out and hasn't gotten any better, while the G is legitimately good compared to similarly priced phones.

E: I would also consider buying the S4 Mini, selling it, and buying a Moto G. Obviously depends on what you'd be able to sell it for and what alternative stuff you could buy on Groupon.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 28, 2015

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Red Warrior posted:

Three times in the past week my Nexus 4 has failed to wake when I've hit the power button. Pretty sure all these times it had been charging. To get it to respond I've had to hold down power to turn it off, then back on again. This morning it meant an alarm didn't go off, luckily we were already awake.

It's on 5.0.1.

Is this a known issue to anyone? Any way of determining the cause?

"Nexus 4 sleep of death."

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Red Warrior posted:

Bugger. Various suggestions for using Daydream or an app called SafeCharge to try and prevent it, I'll give those a shot.

Apart from this my Nexus 4 has still been working great, was going to try and get to the end of this year and see what was available. Well maybe I'll try and get one of those Moto X Valentines Day discount coupons.

Fwiw, my wife's Nexus 5 had it too and seemed to be fixed by shutting off Ok Google voice detection and maybe another similar setting, I don't remember exactly.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

victorious posted:

A friend of mine currently has a weird problem with his HTC M8. Some of his app icons look like this:

Trying to open the greyed out one comes up with 'app not installed', trying to open the other one says 'unfortunately, [app] has stopped working'. Reinstalling the apps solves the problem, but then it just happens to another app straight after. He says he has plenty of storage on the SD card, not so much on the internal. It's hard to Google because it appears to happen to apps at random. He's still using KitKat. Anyone got any ideas?

Looks like he might've tried to do something like move apps to the SD card?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

victorious posted:

Yeah he says he has done that, but apparently its happening with apps both on and off the SD card.

That seems like something that could've gotten messed up, I guess. Without knowing more about what he did or if his phone is rooted/running some random custom rom, it's tough to say. You can imagine if he did something like changed the default install path for apps or used some hacky app to link the internal memory and SD card, you could get problems like this.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

vyst posted:

Heh, the lollipop update on my galaxy s5 has hosed with my wifi. If I keep that "smart connect" on all it does all day is drop/connect to wifi like every 5 minutes when there's nothing wrong with the wifi AP. If I turn it off, it works as it should but I mean if it's gonna be that lovely why have it on there?! :cripes:

lol asking this about a Samsung. How's the fingerprint reader and S-voice and tilt to endlessly scroll and all that garbage?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Grimson posted:

That definitely makes more sense than buying a cheap bluetooth keyboard that works with his phone.

Taking notes on a phone during meetings using a bluetooth keyboard is pretty funny, so I also think he should get a nice full sized bluetooth keyboard.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, $50 is cheaper, but a $100 chromebook is like so much better its not even funny.

For $125, I bought a refurbished Acer C720p which is arguably the best Chromebook, and I love the thing.

Wow, real helpful. The guy wants to type on his 5" phone with a full sized keyboard during meetings, and you come up with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
ffs :thejoke: