Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

sharkytm posted:

Or an Xiaomi MiBand. 30-day+ battery life, tiny, $18. That's what mine does, aside from sorta tracking steps and doing an acceptable job at sleep tracking.

it also sends your dna to the red chinese communist party

isndl posted:

I can sleep through sound alarms, vibration alarms on my fitness tracker, and large magnitude earthquakes. If I'm in deep sleep mode there simply isn't much that works. :shrug:

if you are interested in beta testing I am developing an alarm clock that awakens you through prostate stimulation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

the one I have and the majority of what i looked at allowed you to receive calls, necessitating a mic

it was like $8 usd

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I change my media volume frequently, sometimes wanting to turn it down before I open a video or song or whatever. otoh i literally never adjust the notification volume except by accident when I want to change the media volume

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

download gravity screen on/off and set it so that it turns off when at whatever angle you put it in your pocket, and have it check the proximity sensor before it turns the screen on

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

On Terra Firma posted:

There is almost no real difference between it and the older version aside from being able to resize it a tiny amount.

you can move the cursor by dragging on the space bar and it owns hard

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

On Terra Firma posted:

Not for me. It's much less accurate now.

I find that its worse at auto correcting but it seems faster when opening and typing/swiping

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Skarsnik posted:

Is not having your contacts backed up to Google even possible on a modern android phone?

when you first set it up it asks if you want to back up contacts and app data to google servers, you can uncheck the box and then it wont. they're checked by default tho so you have to consciously choose not to

you can also go to the google account in settings and deselect the various things it syncs there

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

:wtc:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I think they need an imei just for the initial activation of the sim

e: should have refreshed before posting

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

for anyone on the fence about getting the discounted 5x through fi, you should do it soon as it expires on the 9th of this month

https://fi.google.com/about/faq/#supported-devices-3

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Just install gravity screen and have it use the proximity sensor, it'll turn on when you wave or when you take out of your pocket

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

hell I still use a 2013 moto g, sad to see them go out like this

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

lol don't white knight verizon man

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

if you have root there are apps you can download (one is called naptime) that let you edit the timeout before doze starts, you could just change the timeout to 12 hours or whatever

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Soul Glo posted:

I didn't try this because Apple's own site said something about it not doing anything.

fooled again

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

There's not really any need to and it makes everything way more annoying.

ad blocking and no it really doesn't unless you use android pay

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

if you want per domain blocking you're going to have to deal with iptables

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

kiwid posted:

In what way?

OnePlus is a Chinese smartphone manufacturer founded in December 2013. It is headquartered in Shenzhen, Guangdong.

:ohdear:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

Lol. Hey guys, I just enabled the administrator account with no password. What could possibly go wrong?

you're prompted to allow or block when an application tries to run something as root. if you allow access by malware then you hosed up and were too dumb to have rooted it in the first place. it's not dangerous if you actually know what you're doing

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Elephunk posted:

My battery life seems a lot worse than usual. I'm not rooted or anything fancy. What should I inspect my gadget for to look for possible problems?

you could use something like wakelock detector or betterbatterystats to see what is draining the battery also, some of their functionality will be unavailable without root tho

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Blitter posted:

Your fear of accidentally giving away root permissions seems wildly unlikely unless you enjoy downloading and installing semi-random .apks, followed by not paying attention whatsoever.

and even if you are doing this and don't want to stop, you could just set the default action for SuperSU to deny and manually grant access to the apps you want through the main SuperSU interface

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Mnemosyne posted:

I need a phone recommendation for a ridiculous fringe-use scenario. I have a 4 year old that wants to be able to play Pokemon Go. I'm on TMobile, so my plan is to get him a phone without service, use my phone as a hotspot and let him play that way. The only things I want from this phone are:
- as cheap as possible
- has to run Marshmallow, because Doze was a gamechanger for battery life

I have an old HTC One M7 that I dug out of a drawer, and I've been trying to get Cyanogenmod (which I think is only going to update it to Lollipop anyway) to run on it for several days, but I keep getting stuck in a reboot loop and I'm at the point where I'm tired of wasting time on it and I'm ready to just buy him something. I was thinking one of the last-gen Motorola's are probably the best bang for the buck, but figured you guys might know if there were any awesome deals on other phones. Refurbs are fine too.

prepaid moto e or moto g, just don't activate it. Verizon has the e for like 35 bucks. unsure if it has marshmallow tho, prolly not

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

marshmallow is extremely good on battery life so your phone is broken somehow. factory reset it send it in for repair or buy a moto g4 unlocked for 150 from amazon

edit: this shouldn't affect you because you disabled all the google stuff but double check that now is off, it can kill battery badly

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

the google dialer is extremely good and it sucks its restricted to the google devices

I still use an old apk from when they hosed up and put it up on the play store :sigh:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

it wouldn't, it checks for some file that isn't present on non-nexus devices

you can get the old apks that work from apkmirror tho

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I'm using a random USB cable with the motorola turbo charger and it works so I imagine it should for the htc as well

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Captain Yossarian posted:

The oneplus 3 is a fantastic phone, oneplus as a company however is horrible. Or more accurately, they WERE horrible and the 3 hasn't been out long enough to judge their current situation.

when it first came out enough people complained about its ram management being horrible that they were forced to release an update addressing it as well

6gb and it couldn't multitask properly lol

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

when Verizon was calling me to let me know my bill was past due (I had my credit card cancelled and forgot to update it) but like 200 people marked it as spam for some unknown reason

people downloading the app to block collections calls cause this

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Syrinxx posted:

The OP3 is a really great phone made by a company which has had some stupid missteps in the past. Phil @ AC just wrote a new article about it: http://www.androidcentral.com/oneplus-3-second-opinion

This thread is mostly just an echo chamber of Nexus fans though so don't expect to hear anything positive about the OP3 here.

defend your purchase

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Wrist Watch posted:

Considering the size of phone OSs nowadays, how much free space could even be left for anything with only 8 GB of storage? Assuming it's even possible, wouldn't apps immediately start complaining about not having enough free space as soon as you began doing, well, anything?

like 3gb prolly but in marshmallow you can do the combined storage with an sd card and theoretically have it expand to 40gb total space but in practice I suspect it won't work worth poo poo

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

tbf you only pay if you want system wide blocking but there's always :filez: too seeing as it's android

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

RZA Encryption posted:

I just want to do away with the app drawer entirely and just always show all apps on the home screen, iphone style.

you can already do this if you want even tho it is garbage

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

azurite posted:

Didn't Motorola already try and fail to do this with the Atrix?

Granted, it was 2011, but it was still a product nobody was asking for.

asus tried with the padfone also

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

MMD3 posted:

I'm about to jump ship from iPhone 6 to Galaxy S7 and my main concern at the moment is that my older Alpine car stereo won't support Android as far as I can tell.

What is the story with Android support in car stereos these days? The idea of dropping another $200-300 to upgrade my car stereo when the one I have works just fine is a little off-putting. I would only want a single din stereo and something that gives me basic usb play/pause/forward/back/volume controls plus displays the song playing. I guess my fallback can be trying to make bluetooth work or failing that using a 3.5" cable but I don't like the idea that I'd constantly be fumbling with the phone to change songs and such.

last i looked (a few years ago so may be different) the head units would support android but only specific apps like pandora or spotify, and it varies between brands which were supported. on crutchfield the android auto head units were like 4-500 dollars a few months ago lol. I would just get one that supports bluetooth and call it a day if I were you

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Ehud posted:

Another update: Apparently uninstall_package doesn't actually disable the app. I have no idea what I'm doing.

find the name of the app you want to block with:

adb shell pm list packages

(You can filter the results on windows by adding | findstr "TERM" or | grep "TERM" on linux / mac where you would replace TERM with the word you are looking for. This would look like:

adb shell pm list packages | findstr "inputmethod"

adb shell pm list packages | grep "inputmethod"

"Hide" the app with:

adb shell pm hide "packagename"

(where you would replace "packagename" with the name acquired in step 3)

Example:

adb shell pm hide com.sec.android.inputmethod

it shouldn't require any intervention on the phone

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Ozmiander posted:

Am i dumb for considering a BLU R1 HD with offers + root instead of paying nearly twice as much to fix my Nexus 5?

I've had bad experiences with blu but it has good reviews and they have the 30 day return policy so try it and see

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Robo Reagan posted:

I've been thinking lately that it'd be pretty sweet if my phone was more mobile access to my computer instead of a Grindr machine. How viable/bad of an idea would it be to install a light distro like Arch and permanently use it for VNC?

install arch on the phone? just use one of the VNC viewer apps in the play store

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

sms isn't a stupid gimmick so why would it support it, given the rest of its featureset outside of incognito mode

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Der Shovel posted:

I admit I'm a bit worried about Oneplus' supposedly glacial patching pace and really wouldn't want to wait 6 months for Nougat.

this will likely be a problem for both of your choices. I own the non-plus g4 which is the same except the camera and fingerprint scanner and have similar usage habits as you, and it's a good phone with good battery life. the quick charging is nice as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I've never had to hook any of my android phones to the computer to update, since the nexus s some years ago