Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

So I have a support question I'm sure must be the most common one. Android OS started draining my Galaxy S4's battery the past few days, for no reason I know of. I haven't installed anything lately, phone is under a year old, usually can last nearly 2 days with a full charge. I generally just use it for a bit of texting, and some web browsing.

In this case, I charge it at night, bring it upstairs and when I get up in the morning the battery has drained from 100 to 35%. Then when I charged it this afternoon it also started falling fast. Instead of 24 to 48 hours, battery is getting about seven or eight hours. With the screen off, not much happening app wise, etc.

Any idea? I googled it, seems the suggestion is it could be an installed app. I just looked in the list and disabled most of the fluff that came with it, but that wasn't causing battery issues before. I don't play any games or anything on it either. And sorry if this isn't the right topic, I didn't see a support one in here. Thanks folks.

(edit: I also don't have bluetooth or any of the wacky battery draining default things on. And as mentioned, the battery lasted beautifully for most of the year)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, though I hear you can change it back to three button navigation instead of gestures. I hope that's always an option, the sometimes lack of options and making a new thingy the only default option is a peeve of mine with android.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Having some issues with USB-C to 3.5mm adapters for headphones and using the phone's mic etc. Android 13, galaxy s21. Lots of quirks and problems with it.

Just made a thread for this question, kind of a ramble but any info would be helpful.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4041555

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 10, 2023

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Humphreys posted:

Got a Samsung A23 5G and noticed that all notifications are the same tone. On my old Samsung S8 each app had a different sound. I've trawled through various settings and google searches trying to figure out how to enable app default sounds but having no luck. Any ideas without having to resort to sourcing all the app sounds and manually assign them?

Good question. For me, I don't recall apps having their own sounds by default for notifications on Samsung phones. I tended to pick them. On s21 I imported my settings etc from an s10e, and did indeed go into a bunch of apps settings and give them different notification sounds myself. And for some of them I downloaded old notification sound files from youtube rips etc.

Also, android 13 adds a thing where apps have to ask for notifications first, so most apps don't have notifications on by default. But many of my imported apps never asked, so I went through my list of apps to enable notifications on a bunch of them etc. So overall it seems Android does involve manually taking a peak at these settings for every app you have installed these days. I'd probably do that anyway, but you really notice it when setting up a new phone.

Anyways, one of those bugs I was having on s21 I've at least seen googled that other people have too. The thing where it cycles connected and disconnected notifications for USB, and will even keep doing it for many hours after you unplugged anything. The phone is such a mess I'm looking to try another one, but I was always content with Galaxy phones before this one. It is kooky that USB-C only instead of headphone jack is apparently the undoing of Galaxy's flawless run for me. Couldn't they just keep the darn thing.

Getting rid of the SD card slot is a bit of a shame too. I'll probably go for 256gb internal storage for the next phone I try. At least spotify remembers which albums I downloaded, since that's kind of like bookmarking for me. I've got quite the podcast addict backlog too.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 11, 2023

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

How do you see your backed up phone contacts on your Google account? Or tell if it's working?

In my Google settings on s21, under backup I have everything on except photos. The bottom one says Google account data (synced with contacts etc), clicking on that I see Contacts enabled and backed up recently along with other apps like Calendar etc.

But when I go to contacts.google.com, logged into this Google account I use with my phone, it says "no contacts yet". And when I first started using this phone a couple weeks ago it said there was nothing on my Google account to restore. But the Samsung account restore worked and imported everything, including contacts.

So for if I switch to say a Pixel phone in the future, not using the Samsung stuff, how do I see my phone contacts on my Google account, to know it worked? Before trying it on a new phone.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

bull3964 posted:

By going to contacts.google.com like you did. If the contacts aren't there, then they aren't syncing to your Google account.

Maybe try downloading the Google contacts app? That should grab all your local contacts that seem to be only syncing to a Samsung account.

Much thanks! That did it. It said none but that I had some in other account etc, had them under device. Then asked me to enable Back up & sync in that app etc. Now it's on that site too. Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Samsung One UI etc has been good enough for me, I prefer less swiping and more "as is" stuff. I like Windows operating the same way it has for 20 years etc. I actually prefer the Samsung calendar, since the default month calendar view is my fav. I like the straightforward way you tap a day, it pops up, you tap elsewhere it goes back to the month etc.

I don't like how much Google Calendar defaults to showing you the Schedule view. I also don't like how the schedule view skips empty days etc.

My s21 is haunted though, so I'm a bit agnostic at the moment. Well it's USB-C jack is haunted, in relation to headphones, but I got no takers on that one. It's spooky.

Also why do phones keep getting taller? Sensibly they aren't getting much wider, but I don't have any use for a phone that's twice as tall. A 16:9 video in landscape is still gonna have a bunch of black space, I'm still reading stuff in portrait mode so I'm just scrolling slightly less often. It's madness. Anyways phones peaked with the s10e, I demand a headphone jack and good old fashioned phone values. A phone that cares about the little guy. A socially democratic phone for my mp3s and gifs.