Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

EdEddnEddy posted:

Going from that link above, looks like the Pixel 3a's don't get the full res upload for free like the normal Pixel's do.

"Google Photos is built in, so you can save all your high-quality photos and videos with free, unlimited storage"

That's pulled directly from that link above. :/ I thought "High Quality" was the other option and Full Res was either against your storage, or free for Pixels. (Pixel 1 for life, Pixel 2+ seems to cut off at 2 years?).

bleh, I guess some trade-offs are expected but I was hoping it was limited to just the body and soc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's not an enormous trade-off. "High quality" in Google photos is still very good, especially when the majority of us are not doing prints of our phone photos and instead sharing them on social media or via a message, etc. Here's a decent rundown: https://www.phonearena.com/news/Google-Photos-High-quality-vs-Original-Whats-the-difference-and-should-you-care_id93938

I do my videos in 4k though

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Humerus posted:

So T-Mobile is running a bill credit deal to make the 3a essentially free with trade in of certain phones, including the Pixel 1XL. I currently have a P1XL and while I'm not strictly looking to upgrade, for free, I was thinking why not? I like that the body is smaller but the screen is essentially the same. I'm mostly concerned if the 3a is going to be snappier than the 1XL and if the screen isn't a total letdown compared to what I have now.

I already have T-Mobile (and no plans of leaving) and while I don't like the idea of buying from a carrier, I can get over it for a free upgrade.

holy poo poo I had no intention of getting a 3a but that trade-in offer for the Pixel is a no brainer

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Celexi posted:

RCS is a really stupid, and I have no idea how google thought it was a replacement for hangouts instead of being something complementary

google thinks everything is a replacement for hangouts

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

couldcareless posted:

Am I the only one who never really liked using hangouts for sms? I tried it and switched back to a regular sms app a few days later.

I switched to Messenger for SMS stuff but still use Hangouts for my old Google chat stuff. The issues I had with SMS in Hangouts were cosmetic in nature and easily fixable but someone at Google needed a promo so we got Allo instead

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'm still confused why they have both Play Music and YouTube Music

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

vyst posted:

Never settle

My 6t is probably the best phone I've owned after 6 months of ownership but I probably just jinxed it

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

gariig posted:

I'd actually argue for T-Mobile 5g is actually useful. A lot of their newer spectrum rollout is for sub-6 5g vs the mm-wave. My spouse has a Pixel 5 and I still have a Pixel 3 and there are places where the LTE sucks (like ~1 mbps) but 5g would pull ~10 mbps.

Yeah my in-laws were a near deadzone for T-Mobile LTE coverage but when I went by their house my 5g phone got good signal and was pulling 150mbs

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Nexus 4 had issues with the camera being dead until the phone was rebooted
Nexus 5 had power button and bootloop issues
Nexus 6p was great then after 12 months had horrible battery drain
Pixel XL was great then after 9 months or whatever started having noticeably worse battery life which could have been software not hardware but a factory reset didn’t fix it and honestly who gives a poo poo about the difference with a Google phone

My 6T comparatively was fantastic for the full two years I owned it and I swore I'd never buy a OnePlus. The 2014 Moto X was the only Android phone I’d put below them

I’ve had both Nexus 7 tablets, the former was poo poo that ate itself to death via poo poo NAND. The later lasted ok but I can’t remember why I swapped it. I think the wifi on it stopped working.

I think brushing it aside as anecdotal or terminally online isn’t fair because I’ve gotten multiple class action lawsuit checks for these phones. And didn't the Pixel 2 have horrible blue tint for some people?

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 10, 2021

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Mister Facetious posted:

I think you mean the 5x for the bootloop thing. LG's problems (and sales death spiral on the high end) really started with the G4, G5, V10, V20, and Nexus 5x
The regular 5 had an issue with Lollipop where the camera would proceed to destroy your battery because it kept running at full throttle even after swiping it away.

No, this was with the OG Nexus 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

My Pixel 3a started boot looping last night and I can't even get into the recovery mode to do anything (will just reboot the second I try to do anything) Anything else I can try while I wait for the battery on this to die?