Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Can someone recommend a glass screen protector for the S7? The one I got is about a millimetre too narrow to cover the screen completely.
So far it appears none of them fit properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajosh
May 3, 2002

chippy posted:

Are band cards with contactless (NFC) payments a thing in the US yet, or not? I'm guessing not since you're only just starting to get chip and PIN.
I had one about 8 years ago but haven't been able to get one since.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Alternative pants posted:

Just got an S7, any recommendations on cases other than otterbox?
In addition to Spigen, I've used Tudia and Diztronic cases before and they've worked out pretty well. (Using a Tudia case on my S7 Edge right now.)

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

Reminder that Samsungs helpfully default Google cloud contacts to "off" in favor of their own cloud.
I'm not sure if this is true anymore - I've had the Note 3, S6, and S7 Edge and never had to change any settings on any of them to get my contacts syncing correctly. Unless it somehow varies by carrier which wouldn't loving surprise me.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

lelandjs posted:

I actually hopped into the display settings to check and there was a larger/smaller setting, but it was already set to small.

Could be that I've just forgotten how large app icons and things usually are on smartphones, I've had my iPhone SE set to the iPhone 6's resolution since I jailbroke it a month ago.

[Edit: just changed my SE back to the resolution it's supposed to be and oh yeah okay the Note 7's UI elements are the same size, I'm just a sperg that wants as much stuff on then screen as possible]
If you want things even smaller, you can change the DPI without root using ADB or a terminal emulator.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Mogomra posted:

I've had good luck with Tudia.*

My diztronic case for my Turbo became loose somehow, and their support completely ignored me when I asked about it a few times.

* I've only gotten one case from them for my Turbo, and it's held up well. "Good luck" should be taken with a grain of salt as I've only dealt with them and their products once.
I've used a couple of Tudia cases and I think I like them a little more than Diztronic now.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Zero VGS posted:

Is there a quick way to flash a Verizon Samsung Edge 7 into a Tmobile one? The phone is unlocked but Verizon has a ton of shitware and it shuts off the data when on a phone call when using the Tmobile SIM.
I'm not sure you can flash the T-Mobile firmware on to the Verizon version, but you can flash the unlocked SM935-U firmware on it, which might help. (Just use Part 1 of that guide and ignore the rest of the rooting and Xposed poo poo. There's also a newer version of the U firmware than the one they link to.)

Skarsnik posted:

Just catching up on (WWE) Smackdown from Tuesday night and Mauro Ranallo just described something as 'hotter than a Samsung Note 7'
With Mauro it would be weirder if he didn't mention it tbh

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Mr. Powers posted:

Is there a good way to find out what app is loving poo poo up? On my N5, touch latency was sometimes over a second on things like system button presses. I figured it was processor rot, and the phone had many other issues. When I got my 5x, it was a lot better, but I started noticing the same latency on a lesser scale.
I just went and uninstalled a bunch of apps I don't use (installed when transferring settings from old phone), and it's mostly gone. I never saw any rogue apps using up lots of battery, and the apps I uninstalled are not apps I had even used on the new phone, so it's gotta be something that was running a service.

It would have taken forever to go one at a time to see what app it was, but there's gotta be a way to figure this out without going there long way.

This is just a general question at this point since I don't really need any of those apps. It's just frustrating.
Do you use LastPass or another app that uses Accessibility functions? I had a similar issue that followed me between phones and it took me forever to figure out it was the Accessibility service that was causing it.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Mr. Powers posted:

Not LastPass, but KeePass. Not sure what the accessibility stuff you're referring to is. Also, I didn't uninstall it.
It may be something else then but I believe you can check to see if any accessibility services are enabled by going to Settings > Accessibility. For me, I had LastPass enabled there so it could autofill in other apps but it would cause weird lag unless I restarted my phone every 24 hours.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

EdEddnEddy posted:

Also Abandoned? It hasn't been updated since April so I wonder what the heck happened. It still works fine on 7.0 on my Nexus, but haven't tested it on 7.1 yet. It still works fine for me currently.

Their site is practically dead so I wonder what happened. :( Going back to normal keyboards is like learning how to type all over again.
They were acquired by Pinterest in June and are supposed to open source "some components" of Fleksy at some point.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

terre packet posted:

My girlfriend has a Galaxy S7 that's she's very happy with, coming from an old iPhone. However there doesn't seem to be a clear-cut way of backing up the entire phone. We're used to plugging an iOS device into a computer and backing everything up with iTunes. Is there an Android equivalent of this process?
In this case, Samsung Smart Switch should be able to backup most of the content from the S7.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

My new (used) 6P is about to arrive and I'm putting together a list of poo poo to do to set it up. Is there any reason for the average user to root anymore or should I just chill the heck out and just leave my phone alone?
Not really. I had been rooting since about 2009 until around March of this year and I don't miss it. I bought an Adguard license for ad blocking and use Helium (and Samsung Smart Switch, which doesn't apply here) for backups and those replaced the two biggest reasons I still had root.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Inspector_666 posted:

On an unrooted phone do you still find Adguard worth it?
I do, however, sometimes it gets a little overzealous in trying to block ads. The other week my battery life went to poo poo because it was trying to block something on Google Play Services for some reason and once I whitelisted the app, everything went back to normal.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

hooah posted:

What Adguard are you folks talking about? The only one I found by that name says it only works with the Yandex and Samsung browsers.
This one.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

The Duggler posted:

Is this obvious to see happening ? My pixel has been running so well I don't want to sabotage it with things like this
Kind of, Google Play Services was at the top of my battery usage and had a keep awake time that was equal to the time my phone was on, and when I opened AdGuard, the "Blocked Ads" counter was constantly (and quickly) going up.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

CLAM DOWN posted:

That has to be a troll
I don't know, I've seen a lot worse than this from people trying to cool their phone for VR

datajosh
May 3, 2002

LastInLine posted:

I just realized that if you're holding the phone in your right hand the fingerprint sensor is on the far side of the camera instead of the near side where you'd want it. The more I look at it the less sense it makes.
It looks like they put it in the same spot as the heart rate monitor from the S6/S7, so maybe they're thinking people might be used to the location because of that? I don't know, it seems like a bad spot, although after playing with my S7 Edge a bit, it might not be as uncomfortable as it looks.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

This is almost two weeks old now

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Fat_Cow posted:

So, my order for a replacement Nexus 6P on google says it has been "Shipped", but the tracking number provided for Fed Ex only says Label Created. Calling Fed-Ex They said they have not recieved my package. When contacting google support they said "They are confident you will recieve your phone today" So, who do I beileve?
If it still says "Label Created" and it's past 7 or 8am local time, you're not getting that package today. If it was sent FedEx Home Delivery, there's still a chance for tomorrow, but if it's Express or Ground, it'll be next week.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Lately Smart Lock has decided that I'm always at home and is keeping my phone unlocked everywhere. If I turn off Home in my trusted places, it goes right back to locking, but as soon as I turn it back on, it unlocks, regardless of where I am. Has anyone else run into this?

Edit: Well, turning off the option to scan for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth even when they're off seems to have fixed it for now.

datajosh fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 2, 2017

datajosh
May 3, 2002

datajosh posted:

Lately Smart Lock has decided that I'm always at home and is keeping my phone unlocked everywhere. If I turn off Home in my trusted places, it goes right back to locking, but as soon as I turn it back on, it unlocks, regardless of where I am. Has anyone else run into this?

Edit: Well, turning off the option to scan for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth even when they're off seems to have fixed it for now.
Apparently that was only a temporary fix, Smart Lock is so loving flaky.

EdEddnEddy posted:

The question I have, is when will they make the screen itself a fingerprint reader so you don't have to have a separate spot/button for it? Is that even possible?
Besides the Apple rumors, there's also a rumor that Xiaomi will have a phone with it later this year.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

Not really sure why you need a toolkit for something that requires like three commands in a terminal.
To make it easy for people who have no business rooting their phones. (Which is probably everyone now.)

baka kaba posted:

Dunno if it'll help, but I had to add a nearby location manually because 'Home' was really unreliable. That was ages ago so maybe it's ok now, but I can't be bothered changing it to see
It's weird because it was working perfectly for over a year and then just recently started staying unlocked everywhere about a month or two ago.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

chippy posted:

Any way of speeding up the process of getting Assistant? Does being in the Play Services beta help, or hinder? Or neither?

e: Nexus 6P on latest non-beta Android in the UK, if it makes any difference.
I'm in the beta but haven't received Assistant yet, no idea how they're rolling it out.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I'm already dissatisfied with Google and I haven't gotten my Pixel yet. I ordered a blue one two days ago since it would be here today with expedited shipping. All other colors were 5 weeks out. I checked my email today and it hasn't even been processed yet. I called support and their answer was "you can wait until 12 am tonight, if it isn't there you can call back to cancel and re order"

What the gently caress is that poo poo? Sounds like a lame way to kick me to the end of the line if they don't have any phones. Just loving send the god drat thing.
I don't have an answer but I'm not sure if anyone in the history of the Google Store has received a phone within two days of ordering.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I read the blurb in the OP about USB type-c cables and chargers. The Verizon car charger appears to be sold out online and isn't packaged just by itself at Verizon stores near me. I found "OEM" type-c chargers that look the same as the Verizon charger without the sticker on it on eBay. Can a goon hold my hand and tell me if it is really the same or a fake?

Edit: http://m.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Verizon-Type-C-Car-Charger-for-LG-G5-Google-Nexus-6P-5X-Pixel-C-/252659642952?nav=SEARCH
Never buy anything labeled "Genuine" or "OEM" on eBay or from third party sellers on Amazon

datajosh
May 3, 2002

syscall girl posted:

The knox thing has a flash counter. 1 or more = voided warranty afaik.
Flashing a factory image won't trip knox though

datajosh
May 3, 2002

vyst posted:

I'm all over that S8. Come to Butthead
Same. I already pre-ordered my Galaxy S8+, I'm sure it'll be fire fine.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

ShoogaSlim posted:

When I go to take a screenshot on my Pixel, it'll show the animation of capturing the screen and sort of "shrinking" into the background like normal, but it doesn't actually show what was on my screen, it's just transparent, and no screenshot actually gets saved.

Second time this has happened so far in like a week. Restarting usually fixes it right away, but does anyone know what's going on here?
Are you using Twilight or another app that uses screen overlays?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

quote:

Android Central

Well there's the issue

datajosh
May 3, 2002

tadashi posted:

I have a Galaxy s5. After a recent update, my phone tells me the ringer is in silent mode (it's actually just on vibrate) every time I plug in or unplug the phone. I can't tell if this is a Google thing or an operating system thing. Anyone know how to turn this thing off? It interrupts whatever I'm doing and it's annoying.
I have a Verizon S5 for work and have not ever seen this

comper posted:

Is there really a way to block seeing certain posters?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

revmoo posted:

Yep. My wife has a Note4 and doesn't have any of these issues.

So I just tried doing a factory reset, and in order to do so it wants a Samsung login. I've never created one. I have no idea what it wants. If I try to recover the login it asks for my info, I give it, and it says the account doesn't exist.

So I can't even sell this PoS if I can't do a factory reset. Any other options here or do I have a really expensive paperweight?
If you go to Settings > Cloud and accounts > Accounts > Samsung account (going off of S7 Nougat for the location so it could be different on your phone), is there anything listed? I've never had it ask unless I had a Samsung account active on the phone.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

adebisi lives posted:

Any other suggestions? I'm beyond frustrated and I'm ready to throw this thing through a wall. The only other odd thing is that whether on my home wifi or 4g the new phone doesn't think it needs to do a system update even though it's still on android 6.0 and my old phone updated to 7.0 a few weeks back.  
I would install Samsung Smart Switch for PC and try installing the software update through there, then see if the issue persists.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

syscall girl posted:

I thought updates were more of a carrier thing than manufacturer?

Sarnsung SS certainly didn't offer to update my poor phone it actually kind of hosed up the default drivers Windows was using without issue so now the phone randomly loses file transfer abilities when plugged in even though it's been uninstalled from my laptop and phone.
It is but since he said it was a warranty replacement and his previous phone already had 7.0, I figured SS would have it.

adebisi lives posted:

I installed android 7.0 as you suggested but I'm still having the same problem:
That is odd. Personally, I can't think of anything that you haven't already tried now.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

The stock weather widget is again limited to Touchwiz launcher. I wish they wouldn't do the back and forth on this so much. If past patterns hold up it should become usable in other launchers with some minor build update, but still,
The Nougat release on my S7 Edge took that away unless you already had it on the other launcher's home screen, doesn't make a lot of sense.

I got my S8+ yesterday too and I like it a lot, runs smoother than my S7E ever did.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

nimper posted:

I use the microUSB adapter on my car charging cable. I should probably get a USB-C charger but whatever.
Same, I also used one of them to hook the S8 up to my PC and it worked fine. And the USB-A adapter is basically an OTG adapter, I used it to transfer poo poo from my S7E to my S8+ yesterday.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Yeah its still active, which is why I'm scratching my head as to why they gave me a new one, and in the wrong size at that.
Seems to be standard practice if you buy a carrier version of anything. I can't think of the last phone I got that didn't come with a SIM since the pre-LTE CDMA days, except maybe my Nexus 6. (I have at least 5 of the things in a drawer at home.) Also, it could be one of the multi-sized SIMs where you can punch out a micro- or nano-SIM from the full size.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

The XKCD Larper posted:

NEed cheap (>$10) headphones with a decent mic. I like my Galaxy S6 ones but the cord is so sticky that its dismembered itself in half under slight stress like twice now. What OEM phones w/ mic have a non-sticky cable and are good?
I really like these but they do tangle easily.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

For gently caress's sake Samsung, why did you make the home button a square? I haven't used softkeys in over a year until now and I still keep almost hitting home when I want recents.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Jacobus Spades posted:

Handy tip: the home button is the one in the middle
I know, I just see the square and my mind goes "oh, that's the one I want" for a second

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Yeah, I don't know what's wrong with my brain. I mean, I do keep willingly buying Samsung phones after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Spermanent Record posted:

Do you know if they've solved the overheating problem? I returned my gear vr for the s6 because it clearly wasn't ready for the general public.
I never had issues with overheating with my S7 Edge in the Gear VR, don't have the Gear VR for the S8 yet