Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

nerve posted:

The constant slap fights in this thread are truly a pleasure to read.

I like it because everyone who fights are actually arguing past each other because almost always they don't really disagree.

Like, no on one would argue that Nexus devices don't have their own stupid poo poo going on, or that Samsung devices don't have their own stupid poo poo going on, but there's still going to be people arguing about it.

It's pretty glorious really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Desk Lamp posted:

You hate Samsung so much, yet can't be bothered to get a single thing right.

At least he has concrete complaints. Your reason for posting in here lately seems to be "I don't like LastInLine's opinions".

I mean, just stop posting if your reason for posting is to snipe someone you disagree with. It's not like Samsung needs you to defend their bottom line. They're going to continue to sell a bazillion units.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Most people don't have a problem with Comic Sans as their system font, either.

Obviously most people are inferior, but whaddya going to do?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Desk Lamp posted:

It's not his opinions I don't like, it's that his concrete complaints are anything but. That is the point of my last post, not one of the things he complained about in the quoted post is true, except his dislike for the settings pane.

I think you missed my point. Your post was just as useless as a wrong post.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Three Olives posted:

This is dumb, people don't use Google Wallet because it doesn't work with their credit cards/debit cards, period. And no, that Google pre-paid card does not count, it's a retarded workaround.

Maybe now that Google has access to the SIM secure element banks will be willing to give them tokens, my understanding of the problem was the banks were fine with the Isis secure element but the carriers were being huge pricks and demanding large swipe fees, Google wanted to work with the banks but they didn't trust the security.

Google Wallet doesn't work, Apple Pay does, that is all that you need to know to understand why consumers use one but not the other.

No.

No one has even opened the app to find out if it works with their card.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

This isn't just their Android ethos :ssh:

See: Wave, Buzz, Health, etc...really anything on this giant list. Must be fun to work there and be able to just constantly throw poo poo at the wall and see what sticks, though.

PREDICTING GOOGLE CLOSURES

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

bull3964 posted:

It's not a good solution and plays a very significant part in why it's not being used by many people.

Eh, I'll say it again. People don't even know Wallet exists, much less know enough to have dug into it deep enough to figure out the extra layer Google adds to the transaction.

Not that I disagree with the idea that it would be a turn-off if people actually did know how it worked.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

bull3964 posted:

That's all one in the same. By making it a proxy layer, Google is not engaging their partners. They are making it work in spite of their partners. Without partner engagement, people aren't told about it and then people don't know about it.

The whole reason why people are using Apple Pay is I'm sure their credit card company either sent them an email or a glossy letter in the mail telling them about this new and wonderful way to link their card up and pay. Credit card companies aren't going to advertise a feature that shields them from the actual transaction.

I think you're backpedaling here, but you may just be expounding an additional point.

Saying "people don't use Wallet because Google adds an extra layer to the transaction" is completely different from saying "people don't use Wallet because they don't know about it".

The root cause of those two things may be the same, but one is accurate description of the reason people don't use wallet and the other is an inaccurate description.

Three Olives posted:

Wallet sure but Isis was pushed pretty hard, they even paid me $1 per transaction to use it.

If people's awareness of Apple Pay is 100, people's awareness of ISIS is like 3, and their awareness of Wallet is like .5

Anyway, we're all just pontificating without data, so that's kinda useless.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LastInLine posted:

The thing is that if you're going to be the commodity OS, then you have to, must, cannot refuse to engage your partners.

It's worked out pretty well for them so far. I mean, they should do better on this, and they probably will do better and better at it, but it seems like their strategy worked out.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

DemonMage posted:

Ah yeah, my phone is basically always near me, so it's going to be vastly more useful to me than you. I can glance over and see what notifications I have without having to touch the phone or have an annoying blinking light that means one of a billion things happened.

I never gave it any thought before you posted this, but my phone is within 2 feet of me always, unless I'm in the shower.

It's not like I spend an excessive amount of time on it (I usually go to bed with like 40% battery on my 2013 Moto x). I've just always got it on my pocket or sitting right next to me.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Desk Lamp posted:

It might be unpopular in this thread, but I'm a fan of OEMs taking Android and customizing it in ways unique

People in this thread generally like Sense, so you're not quite the rebel you think.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Went through McDonald's drive through for my daily iced tea and they added a sign saying "pay with your phone". Front and center was a Google Wallet logo and text with much smaller Apple Pay and SoftCard logos to the side.

I can only think Google paid them for the privilege...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I find the accuracy of the parking Google Now card to vary greatly. Sometimes it's like 30 feet and other times its hundreds of feet.

Of course this means you can't depend on it, but I guess as a last resort it's OK.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Tunga posted:

Some people don't have power near their bed. My house is old and only has one socket point is most of the bedrooms and I don't want to traipse wires all over the room.

Simply get a new house so you can charge your phone. Duh.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

whatever7 posted:

Why do you have to lead every argument to the sales/profit analysis. I really don't care if Samsung/Sony/HTC go bankrupt next year. The sooner I can pick up a flagship phone deal for $150 off contract the better.

Because, presumably, the only reason you would make the argument that Samsung would follow in Sony/HTC footsteps and put the SD Card back is if Sony/HTC had some logical reason for putting the SD Card back, and since the presumed reason Sony/HTC do things is to make more money your argument is that Sony/HTC put the SD card back to make more money.

That may not be the argument you were making, I'm not sure, but it's a very reasonable reading of your argument.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

whatever7 posted:

No, my point was Samsung/most phone makers can't help themselves and will go back to feature creep again.

Well, ok, but...

butt dickus posted:

Samsung does and they're the ones making the phones!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

baka kaba posted:

Yeah about that

I'm not reading that, but...is their only evidence that it is counterfeit that Xiaomi said so?

I mean, if they're going to spy on people then I wouldn't put it past to them to say "nope, it's not ours!".

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

bull3964 posted:

All I'm seeing here is "Look at all these scrubs that can't launch their camera by flicking their wrist."

Doctor Butts posted:

I was confused by all this Moto X 2013 lockscreen poo poo and just realized its because these scrubs press the power button before they unlock.

Hace posted:

The wrist flick was something I thought I'd never ever use, and now I love it.

Moto phones = best phones.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Okay, I take back the "until 5.1 comes out for it" part, is there any way to keep a Moto X on Kit-Kat until Google stops being awful? Or was Jellybean the last good version of Android?

When L drops for the 2013 Moto X, I plan on just ignoring the update for a couple weeks to see if there are widespread reports of issues with it. I'm certainly hoping that with as long as it took for Lollipop to come out for it they've addressed the memory issues and whatnot, but we'll see...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Android Auto aftermarket receivers:

The ones I have come across are all too fancy with tuners, navigation, USB, blah, blah, blah. I just want a dumb unit that provides an amp and a high quality screen!

Anyone seen any announcements of such a thing?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Not yet and believe me I'm watching. I would also think you'd want AM/FM capability in the receiver, no?

Only because it should cost next to nothing. I literally never listen to radio in my vehicle ... only podcasts and Play Music.

But yeah, it'd be nice to have just in case.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LastInLine posted:

The man who not only eschews NPR but sports as well?

I'm cool like that.

Actually, I listen to a couple NPR podcasts.

I've never understood the appeal of watching or listening to sports even though I enjoy playing them.

Anyway, my guess as to why these Android Auto capable receivers are all packed to the gills with redundant tech is that the manufacturers are a little scared of becoming nothing more than mere purveyors of dumb black boxes.

I mean Google and Apple are both going to do the software way better than any of this poo poo Pioneer or Kenwood or whoever puts out. That stuff is universally terrible. Just like infotainment systems from car manufacturers.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ilkhan posted:

WiFi is really easy to spoof, so using WiFi as a way to unlock your phone is really dumb.

That's why it should just use your wifi as a trigger to get a high accuracy fix.

Additionally, people aren't generally worried about a tailored attack where someone spoofs your wifi and sets up a theft to steal your phone. They're worried about leaving their phone somewhere or someone they don't know stealing it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ilkhan posted:

As an IT worker targeted attacks scare me at least as much as randoms.

That seems silly, people are going to lose their phones 100x more often than someone targets them for theft unless you work in some amazing high stakes world of corporate espionage. If that's the case you should have a policy that completely disallows the use of smart unlock because they could just steal the phone and walk over to your place of business to unlock it.

Regardless, it's irrelevant. Trusted Locations should use wifi to trigger high accuracy location fixes, and, again generally people aren't worried about targeted attacks. So, to say it's "dumb" just isn't completely accurate.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

Well not quite, it always asks for the pin once when you arrive at the location

Ahh, OK.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

If you don't use wifi or something to trigger a high accuracy location request, you've got to request a high accuracy location every X minutes where X is a tradeoff between battery life and it taking awhile for it to unlock when you're at a location. It's a particular problem when you're indoors.

WiFi is less laggy than the alternative.

Also, wifi location doesn't just look for your SSID. I'm pretty sure it looks at the entire WiFi environment to estimate location, which includes all visible networks and signal strengths.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ninmeister posted:

Wow that's pretty terrible, it's a great feature.

I'm going to do zero research on this, but I feel like I remember there being apps that implement this same feature.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

BonoMan posted:

I couldn't afford those phones (hence my getting of a 2013 X).

And cluttered might be the wrong word, but just in general the Android OS is aesthetically unpleasing and inconsistent. There seems to be no visual flow or uniformity to a lot of the design elements. Granted it's a SMALL issue... not a deal breaker in the least. And I want to see Lollipop on it too... I'm guessing that will fix all of my aesthetic issues.

I think you're right, but these kinds of posts are just begging for criticism because you don't give any particular examples.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

hooah posted:

Ok, on to an entirely different topic: I've discovered that my GPE Moto G has ambient display, but it keeps turning itself on even when there isn't anything new to display. I do have a few persistent notifications - Lux, Tasker, and Warframe Utility. Are these what is causing the display to kick on inappropriately?

It's supposed to do that. Motorola calls it "breathing".

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

hooah posted:

Even when there aren't any new notifications since the phone went to sleep?

Yes.

LastInLine posted:

Why would it be present on a GPE version though?

Apparently, that's what ambient display does.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

From what I can tell from reading this thread, it's a good thing Motorola hasn't rolled out Lollipop for those devices yet.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Can anyone set reminders with Google Now right now? ("hey google now, remind me to do something tomorrow")

I've been trying for a couple of hours and it just keeps telling me that it "Can't reach Google at the moment".

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

RZA Encryption posted:

Wow, songs playing completely randomly? That's never happened to me, but if it did I'd think android was complete dogshit and switch to iOS. Why would you continue to use something that fucks up something as basic as "don't do things arbitrarily"?

It's almost as if there can be more than one dimension on which to lay priorities.

But, wait, you either know this and are trolling, are stupid and didn't think it through, or a combination of the two previous options.

I vote for option #3.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Hmm. I'm considering getting an S6 Edge.

That is one nice looking device. TouchWiz is way less ugly than it was previously.

Does anyone who has been paying close attention to the device have any examples of egregious TouchWiziness on the S6?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

nerve posted:

Can an S6 Edge owner/fan explain what you love about the screen? I don't get it at all, but I feel like there's definitely stuff I'm missing?

There's nothing to "get".

It just looks cool.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I don't get it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

nerve posted:

Me either but I guess a lot of people do. The green does look nice though.

Ok, just making sure you were making a terrible post.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LastInLine posted:

If you want to take a guess about what material makes up "faux-leather type things" I can wait. I will give you two hints and tell you that it's not metal and not organic.

It is a material that, like Samsung, has a reputation for being a poor imitation of a better, more desirable thing and is a colloquialism for "fake and cheap".

The snark is strong in this one.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Shutup Shutup Shutup Shutup Shutup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

That was in reference to stupid arguing about over what exactly qualifies a phone as plastic.